Photo

Ferrari at Indy500 1972?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 01:24

I have just bought some 1971 Autosprint and I'm still reading them. On the very first issue I find an article about 1971 news from Maranello. Its title is quite interesting: Ferrari for Indianapolis will have two engines. This car was intended for 1972 Indy500 and for Mario Andretti, who at that time had just signed with Ferrari as F.1 driver.
Two engines were a standard atmospheric one and a turbocharged one.

In October 1971 (Autosprint 41/1971), Enzo Ferrari said that this project was ready, but that it has to be considered as an extra to be realized only if and when possible (so probably not in 1972, even if it was not sure yet)

Maybe I will find more info on some more issued, but now this is all what I know about.

Have Anybody more infos?

Ciao,
Guido

Advertisement

#2 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 12,906 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 07:35

Perhaps a stupid question but did Autosprint indicate the car would have two engines in the car??

Story seems unlikely to me.
To replace the turbine in the STP car(s) The Granatelli brothers were approached by Ferrari with the option to use a V12 Ferrari in '68. There was some travelling from the USA to Italy by the Brothers but the plan was cancelled when they found out that Ferrari wasn't offering participation (i.e. Free engines) but willing to participate if the Granatelli's filled the bills.

When USAC found out about the possible introduction of V12 engines, they came with a restriction on number of cylinders. 8 being the maximum.

So if Ferrari was to do anything with Indy, there must have been a 8 cylinder involved and preferrably being turbocharged too. The fourbanger Offies which in Enzo's view were glorified tractor engines were already capable of producing up to 1000 hp and more at that time. How to achieve that with an atmo is beyond me.

Henri Greuter

#3 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 11:26

Originally posted by Henri Greuter
Perhaps a stupid question but did Autosprint indicate the car would have two engines in the car??

Of course no! They were two different ideas, and they had to choose the best one. Consider this article is dated Christmas holidays 1970, so nearly one year and half before the race and in that moment the car was only a scketch on a piece of paper!
I don't know if later they defined more details about engine, but I think so as in October the car was nearly ready (on paper!).

Ciao,
Guido