Photo

Car Emblems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 27neil

27neil

• 32 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 14:15

I've just been trawling with web for car emblems, i'm having great difficulty in finding a site that lists the various car make badges all in one place, can anyone help? You wouldn't think that it would be so hard to find, but its a nightmare! perhaps i'm not looking in the right places.

Advertisement

#2 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 16:50

You have found a need; perhaps you should be the one to fill it?

Here's a start:

Posted Image

#3 jph

jph

• 370 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 17:01

Not websites, I know, but a couple of books come to mind: Car badges of The World, by Tim Nicholson (US, published c. 1970, IIRC) and also World of Car Badges by J Sarnesjo. Latter is, I think, Swedish and concentrates on national rather than marque badges.

#4 Michael Müller

Michael Müller

• 1,181 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 23:05

http://membres.lycos...om/pagelogo.htm

#5 Aanderson

Aanderson

• 126 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 02:57

Originally posted by 27neil
I've just been trawling with web for car emblems, i'm having great difficulty in finding a site that lists the various car make badges all in one place, can anyone help? You wouldn't think that it would be so hard to find, but its a nightmare! perhaps i'm not looking in the right places.

One site with ALL the car badges, from the entire history of the automobile, all in one place? Now that's a tall order! Just a complete listing of all marques built in the USA since 1895 runs well into the thousands (over 500 makes of automobiles produced, just in the State of Indiana--which I believe has been home to more makes of cars than any other entity in the US, and the Indiana State Historical Society has updated their compilation of automobile marques built in the state at least 4 times in my lifetime).

Adding to the confusion would be the changes in some car badges (Ford Motor Company, for example, has used at least 3 different badges over the years), and so many marques disappeared virtually without a trace, not even a badge left. To top that off, several hundred makes of cars in the US never lasted long enough to get a badge or crest designed, relying instead on stenciled or hand-lettered scripts.

Still, that would be a fascinating project--I'll help in any way that I can.

Art Anderson
:wave: