Photo

Frank Matich's Gold Star cars

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Brent B

Brent B

• 7 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 00:25

Have a question about the late 60's/early 70's Australian Gold Star cars of Frank Matich. I know the 1970-1 Tasman Cup car was blue and sponsored by Rothmans, but what of the Gold Star cars? Autopics.com.au has a series of pictures it reports are from 1969-70 showing Matich at Warwick Farm. Most are b/w, a few in color, and all are confusing. It appears that one of the 1970 cars is dark blue (though the pic is b/w) and some from the same year show a "McLaren orange" or yellow-orange McLaren. The 1969 Warwick Farm pics also show this latter car.

So, what is the deal? Perhaps one of you can lend some knowledge here. I'm trying to put together an accurate record of the Gold Star entrants for 1968-1971 so I can finish off a series of Gold Star car sets for Grand Prix Legends, so I'd appreciate any help.

Brent

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,244 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 00:34

The McLaren(s) were initially blue (with Rothmans signage)... though the first time out the car was yellow (non-Gold Star).

I'm not sure if the colour changed from a metallic mid-blue to a dark blue, but by the time of the advent of the A50, the cars were in Orange.

Check the motorsportarchive site for pics from Dale Harvey for the right colour there...

#3 normbeechey

normbeechey

• 172 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 07:33

Ray, I think you are right about the blue colour of the McLaren changing.

After being repainted from its original yellow colour it appeared to be a dark colour with a extra large radiator intake before changing to a the light blue colour and smaller nose air intake sometime during 1970.

Frank’s Matich SR4 Sports car which dates from the same period can be seen here: http://www.members.t...R-4_E_1_web.jpg

You will probably have to “Copy” and Paste” the above web address into you Internet browser address bar. Other wise go to www.MotorsportArchive.com and go to the “1960’s Page 1” page. It is six rows down from the top of the page.

The photo is a little washed out so the colour appears lighter than actual although it doesn’t look as dark as the early McLaren colour.

The light McLaren colour is seen clearly here: http://www.members.t...k_Farm_1971.jpg

Or go to the “Latest Additions Page” (although it may be moved from there on the weekend to the “1970’s Page 3” page, just to confuse things!)

Ray, I will send you an early colour photo of the McLaren that I found on the Internet (Did you get that Leo Geoghegan pic?).

Brent, I can send you a copy also, if you like. Contact me via the web site.

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,244 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 08:00

Sure thing... I got it fine.

That was during the period when the Elfin lads were trying to impress drivers with the F5000 category, trying to win converts to the class as well as trying to sell F5000 Elfins.

Gary Campbell, for instance, had a drive at one stage... not in a race, but privately. Nobody offered me one...

#5 Brent B

Brent B

• 7 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 12:29

Thanks for the clarification!

Brent