Photo

POSTING IMAGES

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 13:47

Sorry to be a "complete pratt" BUT could somebody give a step by step set of instructions as to how to submit an image to the forum either as a reply or a new post etc. Im sure im not alone in this matter. IN ENGLISH not computer style gobbley gooke.

Advertisement

#2 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 14:26

Ted, you will first of all have to have posted more than 1,000 posts before Atlas give you a little web space to upload pics to, or youupload them to a bit of your own webspace, and then send a link. I THINK that's that's the way it's done....

#3 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 14:41

The photos you submit have to be on an existing website, but not necessarily yours (although technically if they are copyrighted, you aren't supposed to post them as images, or at least give credit to the original source). Right click on the photo, go to Properties, then copy the URL. Then in your reply window above the smilies you'll see a little box labeled "IMG". Click that, and paste the URL in the little window that pops up. You can also post it as a link by clicking the "http://" button instead, which would negate any worries about copyrights.

One thing you can do is click the "quote" button on somebody's post that has an image showing, and see what a proper one looks like.

#4 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 14:49

Originally posted by Rob G
The photos you submit have to be on an existing website, but not necessarily yours (although technically if they are copyrighted, you aren't supposed to post them as images, or at least give credit to the original source). Right click on the photo, go to Properties, then copy the URL. Then in your reply window above the smilies you'll see a little box labeled "IMG". Click that, and paste the URL in the little window that pops up. You can also post it as a link by clicking the "http://" button instead, which would negate any worries about copyrights.

One thing you can do is click the "quote" button on somebody's post that has an image showing, and see what a proper one looks like.

Of all people, I think we can rely on Ted to be clean about copyright.

#5 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 14:49

Posted Image

I'm just checking that Rob's instructions work!!!

#6 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 14:50

and they do!!!!

#7 panzani

panzani

• 18,732 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 14:52

Ted,
As long as you already have the image available in a server, as you already have a million of them at ferret1.co.uk, all you have to do is copy and paste the URL of the image to the post you want using http:// or IMG buttons.
Just as an example, let's put here your site's very first image as a link and as the image itself:

First of all you copy the URL of the image; this can be done right-clicking the image itself and selecting Properties. Just copy the URL, in this case, http://www.ferret1.co.uk/bontp2_r2_c2.jpg

Then, if you just want to make a link to it, click on AtlasF1 Post page the http:// button and paste the URL to the boxes that come up. The result is the following:
http://www.ferret1.c...ontp2_r2_c2.jpg

But if you want the image itself to be visible in the post click the IMG button instead, and paste the URL to the box. The result is the following:
Posted Image

I hope this helps.

#8 panzani

panzani

• 18,732 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 14:53

Beaten while posting, sorry...

#9 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 14:54

Wasn't the 1000 posts golden member free web space thing all cancelled a month or so ago - so that is no longer an option ?

I'm right with Ted here - could one of you experts give us - a simple man's guide to

1. getting your own webspace in the cheapest and easiest way possible

2.Exactly what you do to post photographs on TNF

3. Anything else we should know about the whole process i.e what you do to make the most compressed small file size to that photos build up very rapidly , and do not make a labourious process to view a string of pictures.

I, Like I expect most of you now have a digital camera and am fully conversant with scanning in photos etc an e-mailing them - but posting them up here is it appears a very different matter, - and I think as a result we are missing a great deal of interesting material .

........And remember it's an idiots guide we need!

Thank you Chaps and Chapesses

#10 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 14:58

Blimey, I know my one finger typing is slow - but that was 6 posts while I was doing just a few lines !!

#11 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 18:51

Yes RTH thats exactly whats required.Once Ive mastered it perhaps I will show you myrecently aquired pre-war colour material including some superb Auto Union shots.So whos writing the "idiots guide" ???????

#12 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 19:20

Ted
I presume you want an alternative to direct links to your existing website?
Check with virgin.net - you may find they allocate you free web space when you sign up with them
But if I'm right, I have no idea where you go from there :drunk:

#13 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 22:02

Ted

As a practice run, I'm happy to put some of your pictures onto some of my web space so you can get used to grabbing their URLS and using the IMG button. This is what I did for Doug before he got so proficient. Can you email me one or two smallish JPEG files?

If Virgin.net say that you have got some freebie web space, ask them to "please send me the FTP details". Email me their repsonse and I'll translate it into ferretspeak for you.

Don't worry - I'll talk you through it.

Allen

#14 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 22:13

If the pics are already on his website, he doesn't need to do any more... just use the image codes to bring the pics to life here...

And David, surely you read the posts above? It really couldn't be any clearer... stop looking for difficulties, it really is that easy!

#15 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 22:20

The Golden Members scheme is still in operation:

http://forums.atlasf...&threadid=66266

Your website is not allocated automatically though - you have to apply once you have 1000 posts.

#16 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 22:33

Yes Ray, I had read the earlier posts
I also recalled a telephone conversation I had had with Ted, which I didn't feel the need to share with everyone on TNF, beyond a reference that I hoped would help the original enquirer

#17 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 04:53

Originally posted by Ray Bell

And David, surely you read the posts above? It really couldn't be any clearer... stop looking for difficulties, it really is that easy!

Sorry Ray, in the year I have been a TNFer I have seen more requests for info on posting pictures than is surely justified. I ran a post very similiar to this last year and quite honestly, I am no further ahead. :stoned:

There should be an easier way!!

Best regards to those who control all this, David B :kiss:

#18 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 05:57

The easy way to post pictures, and other .jpg, .gif, etc. files...

Technically one is not supposed to post photos from outside your personal atlasf1.com website (which is still available after 1,000 posts) or, the user's personal / business website. This, due to bandwidth space. However, it can still be done if no one is looking...

Now - assuming you are using MS I.E. 6.0 (Internet Explorer 6.0) or similar version...

Bring up a new browser window...

As an example let's use the Chevron Racing website - here is the URL: www.chevronracing.com

once you're there. you'll find the news items on the right, click on the B1 Mk II announcement (2nd one down) and wait for the page to come up...

You should be there by now, see the photo in the center?

Ok.

If you right click the image, you'll see a dialog box pop up, at the bottom you will see the select item, Properties

Then, left click Properties.

In that dialog box, you will see the path of the URL that relates to the image. In this case it will be: http://www.chevronra...misc/retro2.jpg

Highlight by left-click and hold, the text that defines the path of the URL - see above. Make sure that the entire path is highlighted before releasing the left mouse button.

Once highlighted, right click the area that is highlighted and another dialog box will appear.

In there you will see the word Copy - left lick that and the URL will be saved.

Then...

In the message area of the atlas posting page, place the cursor where you want the image to be placed.

Then...

Select the IMG button on the console.

Up pops a dialog box that has http:// in it...

Since your copied URL path will have the http:// already in it, just right click on the highlighted http:// area in the dialog box and select paste. Your URL entry should then be pasted in the dialog box. The entire path of the URL may extend past in indicated area, but don't worry it's all in there.

Then select OK.

What then should appear in the message area is the copied URL path with [ IMG] at the beginning and [ /IMG] at the end.

When you are finished with editing, just click ok as you would normally and the image will appear in the post. You should check your message first by previewing to make sure that you've done it correctly.

I can provide info on how to copy and paste images into your own website if you know where your files are located and how to create a temp folder for things such as this.

If you follow the instructions above, this image should appear:

Posted Image

Good Luck!

#19 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 08:07

Originally posted by rdrcr

Technically one is not supposed to post photos from outside your personal atlasf1.com website (which is still available after 1,000 posts) or, the user's personal / business website. This, due to bandwidth space.

Is that so? I know there are copyright issues, but I don't know what bandwidth has to do with it.

Advertisement

#20 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 11:40

Originally posted by Roger Clark

Is that so? I know there are copyright issues, but I don't know what bandwidth has to do with it.

I think two issues are getting confused here - Atlas are (understandably) not keen on hosting images in Golden Member webspace which are destined to be linked to other fora or sites. That's where the bandwidth problem arises, I believe.

#21 uechtel

uechtel

• 1,960 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 12:26

Originally posted by David Birchall

Sorry Ray, in the year I have been a TNFer I have seen more requests for info on posting pictures than is surely justified. I ran a post very similiar to this last year and quite honestly, I am no further ahead. :stoned:

There should be an easier way!!

Best regards to those who control all this, David B :kiss:

Had the same feeling in the beginning. But my attitude changed very quickly having to learn how much hard disk space is needed for that, so I understand completely that this forum does not offer this option. They would have to employ another full-time administrator just to keep the flood of incoming and outgoing bytes at bay. And who decides how long a picture is allowed to remain there?

Also I quickly learned that it is by no means a big problem to get pictures posted here. My provider (aol) has some 20 MB of "personal" online-space for me and I think most other providers do much the same. So all you have to do is to upload your pictures there (you need to upload them anyway, no matter whether to the forum or to your own private area) and the put a link to them inbetween the [IMG] [/ IMG] brackets. That´s all.

Technically if you place a picture in a html-page you do that by "linking" it. This means, that it is not duplicated there physically, but remains at its original place and only a reference ponts to the page. So everybody opening the page will load only the address from there while the picture itself will of course be delivered by the other server. And as pictures are usually "bigger" than text this means, that automatically the major part of the traffic is caused at the server from which the picture is loaded. This explains why you probably don´t want to host pictures for other sites in your area and vice versa why you want the pictures shown on your pages to be stored on another server

#22 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 15:23

Originally posted by Gary C
Ted, you will first of all have to have posted more than 1,000 posts before Atlas give you a little web space to upload pics to, or youupload them to a bit of your own webspace, and then send a link. I THINK that's that's the way it's done....

I think I have more than 1000 posts,and after registering many times, nothing happens. Mailing the administrator didn't get any response. So I bought some webspace in my company I(hehehe) and load up everything I like to post on TNF.

Sorry Atlas, but thats the truth! :cry:

BTW: Have to ask my doc, why it's always me.... :lol:

#23 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 18:43

It works!
Posted Image

Though - being a Mac user - I had to fiddle around a bit
(ferret foto)

#24 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 00:42

Like I said... it's all too easy...

You just have to understand what's going on.

#25 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 08:39

Well done David. Theres hope for me yet !!! Looks like I had better get this web space thing sorted out next. I have my "computer man" coming in next week.

#26 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 15:22

Originally posted by Ted Walker
Well done David. Theres hope for me yet !!! Looks like I had better get this web space thing sorted out next. I have my "computer man" coming in next week.

You must be on a Mac... : ...sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Originally posted by uechtel
Technically if you place a picture in a html-page you do that by "linking" it. This means, that it is not duplicated there physically, but remains at its original place and only a reference ponts to the page. So everybody opening the page will load only the address from there while the picture itself will of course be delivered by the other server. And as pictures are usually "bigger" than text this means, that automatically the major part of the traffic is caused at the server from which the picture is loaded. This explains why you probably don´t want to host pictures for other sites in your area and vice versa why you want the pictures shown on your pages to be stored on another server.

...as I was saying ;)

Ok then Roger?

BTW, you're pretty quick to call me out on the mat for things but cumbrously slow in acknowledgement IMO...

#27 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 15:59

You must be on a Mac... : ...sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Not at all - your instructions were sufficiently clear for me to be able to figure out what to do

#28 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,506 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 23:55

Ok then Roger?

BTW, you're pretty quick to call me out on the mat for things but cumbrously slow in acknowledgement IMO...

I'm sorry, but i didn't understand the point you were making, and it was explained. I didn't really think that any acknowlegement was necessary. For some reason I thought your original post suggested that Atlas were unwiling to have links to pictures posted on other sites.

I'll try not to call you out on the mat for things in the future.

#29 Teapot

Teapot

• 338 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 12:35

Testing...

Posted Image

#30 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 17:04

"... For some reason I thought your original post suggested that Atlas were unwiling to have links to pictures posted on other sites..."

As I explained to Roger in a PM and for the edification for others who may be interested in the answer, I've edited my response below:

"...That's right, and you're interpreting correctly. Here’s the deal, Atlas doesn't permit links from the members web space outside the forums. Also, they frown upon the direct linking of photos (high bite count .jpg files) from the outside into Atlas forums because of the bandwidth load upon the hosting servers. ..."

"...Bandwidth theft explained:

Bandwidth theft is direct linking images, scripts, sound files, movies or zip files to your site from another site's server without the website owners knowledge, thus using that sites costly bandwidth without permission or compensation to the original site owner. This is also referred to as "hot-linking".

For Example:

Whenever you use someone else’s URL address in your html codes to display an image on your site, without first saving the image to your own computer and then uploading to your own server space, you are stealing someone else’s bandwidth. Some people may not even realize they are doing this...

Bandwidth theft is a growing problem on the web today. Many sites are having their bandwidth stolen from them without even knowing about it. Images, sound files, video clips, etc. are all being hot-linked by bandwidth thieves, costing website owners money and causing some websites to exceed their bandwidth allowance causing their sites to temporarily shut down for hours at a time.

Hot-Linking of files is not only wrong, but is also against the law in many states and countries. I understand that anytime a file is accessed from a server it is recorded on a log file. If someone links to an image on a site on somebody else’s server it recognizes the website that the file was accessed from and records it. Many U.S. laws state that log files are considered to be legal evidence and can be used to support and prove theft in court..."

#31 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 17:38

In case you do not want your images included in a Google Image Search:
http://images.google.com/remove.html

In case someone is hotlinking to any of your site facilities:
http://www.scriptygo...ives/000988.php

Seems to me the Google toolbar for MSIE has a "Reverse Links" lookup feature that may be useful.

Frank S

#32 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 13:43

Originally posted by panzani
Ted,
As long as you already have the image available in a server, as you already have a million of them at ferret1.co.uk, all you have to do is copy and paste the URL of the image to the post you want using http:// or IMG buttons.
Just as an example, let's put here your site's very first image as a link and as the image itself:

First of all you copy the URL of the image; this can be done right-clicking the image itself and selecting Properties. Just copy the URL, in this case, http://www.ferret1.co.uk/bontp2_r2_c2.jpg

Then, if you just want to make a link to it, click on AtlasF1 Post page the http:// button and paste the URL to the boxes that come up. The result is the following:
http://www.ferret1.c...ontp2_r2_c2.jpg

But if you want the image itself to be visible in the post click the IMG button instead, and paste the URL to the box. The result is the following:
Posted Image

I hope this helps.

Can somebody please help me.

Clearly I must be doing something wrong

I can now place photos with an image hosting website and successfully put a link in a post which is viewable by clicking on it .

However I cannot seem to post a photo that is immediately visible in the post.

Here is the image to post img7.imageshack.us/img7/1294/72.jpg

despite following panzani's instructions if I click the IMG button when constructing the post and type in the box img7.imageshack.us/img7/1294/72.jpg in the final post I just get a red cross in a box instead of the photo - anyone any idea what I am doing wrong ?

#33 hinnershitz

hinnershitz

• 109 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 14:02

Posted Image

It looks, like you erased the "http://"-preset from the box. Full content should be:

"http://img7.imagesha...g7/1294/72.jpg"

when you press OK.

#34 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 14:56

Many thanks for that , Johannes - clearly you have made it work - I'll go and have a practice on the Dave Charlton thread !