• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,890 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 12:26

:D
HSRCA - Oran Park - 19-21 March 2004

This weekend I hear there are record fields in Na/Nb and elsewhere for the meeting.

Added bonus will be the display of the Dawson Damer Lotii collection (gotta love that 49 dontcha!)

Looking forward to some great sounds and sights!

Advertisement

#2 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,217 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 07:57

:wave:
I will be ther on saturday look out for the TNF badge on my hat. :up:

#3 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,890 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 08:18

Originally posted by eldougo
:wave: I will be ther on saturday look out for the TNF badge on my hat. :up:

I'll do that Doug, here's hoping for a very successful meeting (and some good weather!) :up:

#4 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,723 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 11:02

Is Dawson Damer still the owner of the Lotus 39?

#5 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,217 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 08:13

:wave:
Yes the family still own all the car collection. John Smith is going to drive the Lotus 79 ,because Colin Bond is away with the V8 this weekend.

#6 Bruce Moxon

Bruce Moxon

• 265 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 10:44

I'll sort-of be there. I'm competing in the first round of the State Motorkhana Championship down on the skid pan. Giving the girlie Mazda a good thrashing

Feel free to visit!

Bruce Moxon

#7 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 450 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 11:35

Count me in on Sunday, waving the flag for the one and only Alfa Romeo racing! Go CWB :wave:

Mick, maybe our paths will cross this time. You have my number. :)

Bruce, what are you going to do with two Brabham by Nye books!!

Must remember my TNF badge this time ....

#8 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 450 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 12:11

Well this thread died a death. :)

Just want to resurrect it for a moment (for those few out there :wave: ) I went out on Sunday and couldn't believe how few people were there, both on and off the track.

I enjoyed the John Dawson-Damer Lotus demonstration, but there was not too much else to get excited about. Fields were small by their last races and I left early.

The Phillip Island Classic three weeks prior - now that was a Historic Race Meeting !! I just can't believe the difference in philosphy between the VHRR and HSRCA - they could be in different countries as opposed to states.

Oh, and Mick, I totally forgot to call, but I did wear my TNF badge. :wave:

#9 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 02:06

Paul, I can understand why you might think Oran Park is such a depressing place if you didn't venture far from the pit area which, with the new garages for the V8's, is a very spread out affair giving the impression of not much activity,

A few years ago I discovered the viewing area ajacent to Robin Orlando corner and since then have had a different perspective on Oran Park. We spent a few hours there both on the Saturday and the Sunday watching about half a dozen races each time, all of which we found quite exciting even if the PA was inaudible from there, but we didn't need it as we ran our own commentary.

We saw some great dicing, some excellent driving and passing moves, and on the slow down lap we certainly showed our enthusiasm to those drivers we knew and who were looking ( ask John Medley ) although some, even on the slow down lap, still seemed too transfixed to look away from the black stuff.

There was great excitement when the Porsche of Mr. Taylor rolled in front of us and the subsequent head scratching by the rescue crew in trying to retreive it from its precarious position without doing further damage.

Of course, I would rather have been racing myself, but after a week of setbacks with the car I finally decided on Thursday night that maybe someone was trying to tell me something, ie. that I shouldn't be racing that weekend, but the weekend was still very worthwhile both from the spectating point of view and the fellowship we enjoyed with the other competitors and spectators, people we only see at race meetings and whose company we enjoy away from the usual grind of our more normal daily lives.

#10 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 450 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 02:19

Thanks Dick, I heard about the Group S Porsche going over as I spent some time with my racing friends in the Group S tent. I went up to the hill and into the stand (at Energol?) for the Group S 18 lapper and the races thereafter. Yes, Robin Orlando is exciting and I've watched from there in the past.

I love Oran Park to race on, and from a spectating perspective you can see most of the track. I know the facilities are below par and everything is so spread out, that in the end I was just happy to spectate.

Maybe the inclement weather was the main reason for the small crowd, but I wonder whether the HSRCA need to do more to promote the event. I know that the HSRCA do a good job, but even a roll out half as good as Phillip Island would be better than what we got. Can't we entice some of the international cars over the border (its only two weeks after the AGP?)

Just my thoughts. :)

#11 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,890 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 09:05

Originally posted by Paul Newby
Well this thread died a death. :)

Oh, and Mick, I totally forgot to call, but I did wear my TNF badge. :wave:

Hmmmmm, Saturday was stinking hot, Sunday overcast and even a drop of rain!

I had a really enjoyable time, the fields were generally large by NSW standards (gotta love the 40 odd line up in the Tin Tops).

I had a good time on Start/Finish on the Sunday with two racers waving flags for company.

Those DFVs in the Lotii were absolute music to the ears - and John Smith and whoever was driving the 49 did not spare the horses!!!! (many thanks!!!)

Donnelly Mustang crushing tribute to Big Black Pete and the Super Falcon replica

Beautiful old Merc 300 sassying around

How bloody quick is that Ralt!!!!

Minis!! :cool:

Minis attacked by Toranas :cry:

Can't wait till June!!

Paul, I thought about pranking you but got distracted with a meatball for the Porsche......

#12 john medley

john medley

• 1,163 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 20:20

Couldnt agree more with what Dick said -- good circuit, good to see old friends, ordinary facilities,spread out pit area, no spectators ( except for Dick and company doing star jumps and
somersaults over near Robin Orlando Corner), but sometimes little atmosphere.

In an attempt to keep 6 months old Benjamin away from sudden noise we parked way down on the edge of the trailer park, quite near the yelping dogs on the skidpan area -- or nearly in the next postcode, and so missed quite a lot of the action. In particular I'd have to say I missed Dick in the Ausper FJ which would have added a bit of quality driving and competition to the sparse F/ Junior field. My unsophisticated front engined Junior qualified fastest but was run down by the grunt/handling/disc brakes of two of the others, all rear engined, so ended with one second and two thirds for the weekend, just a second or two back from the leader(s). Enjoyed watching the Dawson Damer Memorial race ( and a few others) from near the Dogleg, then found out they'd been looking for me to run in it - frustrating ! Waved to various friends in the DD race all of whom waved back with the enthusiasm of those surprised that someone was actually there..

I think I had forgotten what fun the Long Circuit is - I certainly enjoyed it, and enjoyed racing against people I hadnt raced against before. And Ty Hanger's laptimesin the family March sent me home to look up contemporary laptimes : stunning stuff, a real credit to Ty's driving, and a clear demonstration that we were watching a genuinely quick driver in action.

As for the seven spectators.....
I found Dick, Charlie, Chappie, and Brian very entertaining on the rush down to Robin Orlando

#13 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,837 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 21:43

Yes, Ty is quick... he blitzed them at Mur'bah last year...

Remember when the Oran Park paddock area was up high behind the spectators at Energol and everyone could see everything?

#14 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 791 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 01:26

Interesting about Ty Hangar, from where we were spectating near Robin Orlando, all the quickies in the Q/R race pull 4th gear after the exit from the bridge and then hold it through Orlando and up through the dogleg etc., but Ty actually changes UP a gear going into Orlando, and the speed he holds throgh the esses on the approach to Orlando is absolutely amazing.

#15 john medley

john medley

• 1,163 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 09:04

I like Ty's reply when his father said that Ty should learn to fly the family plane. Ty got in and sat in the right hand rear seat ( of four), usually the not very quiet Carmel's location , enthroned as she advises Ray in flight - continually. His father said " You cant fly the plane from there , son".

" Why not? Mum does".

#16 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,837 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 11:33

Maybe there's a deeper truth in there?

Like they might have been taking off from that strip that puts the plane in flight over the freeway... you know, on the hot day, when the heat of the bitumen causes a rising airstream that Ray refers to as... now how does he put it?

Oh, yeah... "Character building!"