Photo

I hate to ask this question but I can't find the answer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Megatron

Megatron

• 3,688 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 18:15

I hate to ask this question but it seems that I can't find the answer.

I am looking for the reasons why Peter Gregg, sports car star and Brumos man, committed suicide in 1980. I have always heard so much about Gregg, but no one says how he died. This while people still wonder what happened to Ascari, or the Clark accident, etc.

After several searches I found he shot himself in late 1980. However, there isn't gobbs of information about Peter Gregg in general out there (at least what I have found) and it took forever to discover the sad truth about his death.

Rather than ever spread anything untrue/misreported if anyone should ask me, I would just like to know what led him to do it.

The vague responses that I have heard (and will NOT confirm as I have no clue) range from:

-Gregg suffered from severe depression

-Gregg was diagonesed with physical illness and told he would never race again

-Gregg was on drugs and it had something to do with it

Again, sorry for asking such a dim question, I just need to find out. Though he died two years before I was born, I have heard so much about the man from those within sports cars (though NOT regarding his death) I just need to know.

Thanks

Advertisement

#2 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,207 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 19:53

Megatron,

My source is Jose Luis Otero, who writes : (context, 24 Hours of Le Mans)

"...he did not finish the 1979 edition and, came 1980, he suffered a very nasty accident in practice, as a result of what he ended up with serious head injuries.
He recovered but was unable to overcome some vision-related problems so he had to give up competition. That proved to be too much a sacrifice for him. Without competition, "Life is boring" he wrote.

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 22:07

See the three posts by Keir, lanciaman and wildman in this thread.

#4 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 23:28

At the risk of hijacking this thread...the circumstances surrounding the demises of both Maurice Phillippe and Cheryl Glass seem even less well documented, and I've always wondered about both.

#5 RTH

RTH

• 6,064 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 13:34

Originally posted by Felix Muelas
Megatron,

My source is Jose Luis Otero, who writes : (context, 24 Hours of Le Mans)

"...he did not finish the 1979 edition and, came 1980, he suffered a very nasty accident in practice, as a result of what he ended up with serious head injuries.
He recovered but was unable to overcome some vision-related problems so he had to give up competition. That proved to be too much a sacrifice for him. Without competition, "Life is boring" he wrote.

I believe the exact words on the suicide note were - "Life has ceased to amuse me " an extraordinary phrase which was very memorable.