Photo

1970 Geneve Accord

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tonicco

tonicco

• 134 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 13:06

Would some kind soul tell me where can I get the text of the 1970 Geneve accord?

I've searched TNF and also used Google without any success.

Please... :)

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

#2 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 07:27

tonicco,

I don't mean to be a smartass but it would probably help if you spelled it correctly....

The Geneva Accord

The other Articles follow in the link...

#3 tonicco

tonicco

• 134 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 09:02

Thanks for the reply, rdrcr, but I was thinking more along the lines of the 1970 F1 Geneve Accord... you know, the one that regulated the commercial side of the sport, or the one that killed the sport, according to many people... ;)

Anyway, I'm still searching for the text - and using both Geneve or Geneva, for the matter, as not everyone on this planet speaks English... :cat:

Thanks again,

#4 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,488 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 09:30

Just a guess - do you mean the Concorde Agreement (OK, that's the early eighties) ?

#5 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 09:35

Sorry about that tonicco... I know what your referring to. The F1 Geneva Accord dealt with the commercialization of the Sport. The Concorde Agreement came later.

IIRC Don wrote about this and may have a copy.

#6 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 09:43

Originally posted by scheivlak
Just a guess - do you mean the Concorde Agreement (OK, that's the early eighties) ?

Not bad.:up:

I was wondering what a 1970 Geneva accord should be? The presentation of a new Honda or something like that.

#7 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 09:47

From part of an article for 8W, written by Don Capps:

"...During the winter of 1971/1972, the Formula 1 Association and the organizers starting bumping heads over a multitude of issues. Money, of course, was the basic issue.

The movement towards more business and less sport had started, and with a vengeance. The Geneva Accord put a band-aid on most issues, but a major one was that the starting grid for each race would be 25 cars. That is, starting money would only have to be made available to 25 starters by the organizers. After two lean years the Dutch dropped their round for 1972. At the Spanish race two weeks prior to the race at Monte Carlo, the representatives of the organizers attending the race were quizzed as to the number of starters at Monaco. From 1956 until 1970, the number of starters was limited to 16. In 1971, the grid was increased to 18 starters and initially, prior to the Geneva agreement, the grid for 1972 was to be 20 starters. The Monaco organizers said 25 starters and nothing was thought of it until everyone showed up at the Principality ready to have at it. The first practice session is always a shambles, but the team managers were especially unhappy to discover the organizers saying that rules - "but, paragraph b Article 4 says only 20 starters, sorry" - were rules and were only planning to allow 20 starters, not the 25 starters that had been verbally agreed to in Spain.

#8 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 13:28

I saw this and started looking and I haven't a clue as to what happened to the bits and pieces that I had of this document. I was never convinced I had a complete copy of it, but most of the major pieces. Last night I couldn't find it where it should be so.... :confused:

Should anyone be fortunate enough to have a (complete) copy, let me know as well. I am trying to recall the sources I used to find the information, but it was a challenge. More as I hunt around.