Photo

Mike Hailwood 23rd March 1981

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JohnH

JohnH

• 172 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 13:05

Another of my heroes (sadly like Revson only came to know of him in recent years) gone 23 years ago today.

John

Advertisement

#2 x_acto

x_acto

• 74 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 13:24

I only wish that he had so much success in Formula 1 as he had in motosport!

A very sad lost, in a stupid accident when also is daughter lost is live at tender age of 9 (i think...)

#3 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 18:53

Mike Hailwood, Peter Revson and Chris Amon are still three of my favorite drivers.

They don't make them like that anymore!!

#4 JohnH

JohnH

• 172 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 09:32

You are right, poor Michelle was killed instantly at age 9, son David was unharmed.

John

#5 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 21:39

Taking to Ian Shelbourne yesterday at Mallory Park testing and the conversation turned to both of our experiences of meeting Mike Hailwood. I mentioned to Ian that I thought it was around this time of year that Mike passed away and I've just remembered to check. Spookily he died of injuries 30 years ago yesterday sustained in his road accident 2 days earlier. Strangely I was talking to a commercial photographer just the other day who told me that he was in Michelle's class at school when she perished in the accident, and he spoke of the utter shock and horror that he and his schoolmates experienced at the time.
As we commented at Mallory a more unpretentious guy you could never meet, and a supreme sportsman, much missed. Were he alive today, Mike would have been approaching his 71st birthday. Rest in Peace Mike.

#6 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:44

Thanks for the reminder, Tony - I'd forgotten that this was the thirtieth anniversary. It also reminded me of this fascinating memoir of Mike written by his former girlfriend Elizabeth McCarthy, that newer TNFers may not be aware of. It gives a great insight into Mike's character, especially when she describes their first meeting. Thanks to Mattijs and Co for hosting it on the 8W site:

http://8w.forix.com/hailwood.html

#7 RS250

RS250

• 111 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:23

Taking to Ian Shelbourne yesterday at Mallory Park testing and the conversation turned to both of our experiences of meeting Mike Hailwood. I mentioned to Ian that I thought it was around this time of year that Mike passed away and I've just remembered to check. Spookily he died of injuries 30 years ago yesterday sustained in his road accident 2 days earlier. Strangely I was talking to a commercial photographer just the other day who told me that he was in Michelle's class at school when she perished in the accident, and he spoke of the utter shock and horror that he and his schoolmates experienced at the time.
As we commented at Mallory a more unpretentious guy you could never meet, and a supreme sportsman, much missed. Were he alive today, Mike would have been approaching his 71st birthday. Rest in Peace Mike.

Indeed Tony, we were discussing another Mike Hailwood story when you suddenly realised the relevance of the date... I still can't believe its thirty years.
If I may be allowed to stray a little off topic, I was in Birmingham at the weekend and had ten minutes to spare so I popped into Waterstones to peruse the Motorsport section where I found 'Ring Of Fire' by Rick Broadbent, the Times Moto GP man. Ostensibly the book covers the Moto GP era of 'bike racing and includes a lot of interesting background to the various rivalries between the characters. What really sets the book apart for me though is the layout - alternate chapters of the book highlight different stages of Mikes career on two and four wheels culminating in his stunning comeback in the Isle of Man four years after his F1 career prematurely ended in Germany.
Truly a great man, on and off the track.

#8 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:08

Thanks for the reminder, Tony - I'd forgotten that this was the thirtieth anniversary. It also reminded me of this fascinating memoir of Mike written by his former girlfriend Elizabeth McCarthy, that newer TNFers may not be aware of. It gives a great insight into Mike's character, especially when she describes their first meeting. Thanks to Mattijs and Co for hosting it on the 8W site:

I've not seen that before. If I weren't at work I would be crying.

#9 rallen

rallen

• 555 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:28

Yes I read this a while ago, beautifully written by Elizabeth, fancinating and moving and thought provoking on many different levels, highly recomend it to anyone who has not read it yet.

#10 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 14:18

Mike & his daughter Michelle's grave in Tanworth-in-Arden an hour or so ago. The floral tributes are from Pauline & family, one to each of them.

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2011-03-27
Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2011-03-27

(Buried close by is the tragic cult singer / songwriter, Nick Drake).

Edited by Giraffe, 05 April 2011 - 21:54.

#11 eurocardoc

eurocardoc

• 157 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 22:08

Thank you Giraffe, an amazing man and hero. RIP Mike

#12 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,592 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 14:41

Tony ‘Giraffe’ Gallagher’s posts on Facebook reminded me that today is the fortieth anniversary of Mike’s death, two days after the road accident which also took the life of his nine-year-old daughter Michelle. They are in my thoughts today, together with Mike’s widow Pauline who died last year. RIP.

#13 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 16:01

Well said...  In mine too.

DCN

#14 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 1,087 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 17:46

For me, there are heroes, and then there's Mike Hailwood GM

Edited by Nigel Beresford, 23 March 2021 - 17:53.

#15 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 21:02

I remember

#16 JohnH

JohnH

• 172 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 05:20

I posted on FB today also thought of Michelle today and two days ago .

#17 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 13:29

Tony ‘Giraffe’ Gallagher’s posts on Facebook reminded me that today is the fortieth anniversary of Mike’s death, two days after the road accident which also took the life of his nine-year-old daughter Michelle. They are in my thoughts today, together with Mike’s widow Pauline who died last year. RIP.

8m3PAA.jpg[/IMG]

Graveside at Tanworth-in-Arden at 9am yesterday morning. RIP