Photo

Passing unnoticed? Another record equalled...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,248 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 22:02

In promoting Graham Howard's new book, Max Stahl has sent me this...

World Champ Matches Aussie Legend's AGP Record - 40 Years Later!

The record achievement by racing legend, Lex Davison, of winning four Australian Grands Prix has been equalled at last - by no less a figure than six times World Champion, Michael Schumacher!

Nearly half a century after the Australian scored the last of his four AGP victories, Schumacher matched his record with a runaway victory at Melbourne's Albert Park.

Like Davison's 1957 and 1958 victories, Schumacher scored his in a Ferrari.

The story of these and other achievements in Davison's 20-year racing career is told in the long-awaited autobiography, "Larger Than Life", by noted Sydney author, Graham Howard.

Howard and Lex's widow, Diana Gaze, will sign copies of the book in an exclusive launch at Sydney's "AutoBookWorld", 207 Clarence Street, next Wednesday.

The book does look great, and let's face it, my description of Diana as the 'First Lady' of Australian Motor Racing is far from incorrect.

It would be worth being there just to meet and speak with her.

I wonder if Tony will be there too?

And I wonder how the book deals with the muddle of the 1957 race...

Advertisement

#2 Ron Scoma

Ron Scoma

• 247 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 00:22

Ray:
Do you have details as to where one can buy a copy of this book. Perhaps a phone number, or email address, of AutoBookWorld.

Thanks,

Ron, in the automobile book challenged USA

#3 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 02:04

Posted on the "Book" thread by Mark Ballard

I received a flyer for the following book http://www.lexdavison.com which I thought might be of interest

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,248 posts

Posted 27 March 2004 - 22:10

Originally posted by Ron Scoma
Ray:
Do you have details as to where one can buy a copy of this book. Perhaps a phone number, or email address, of AutoBookWorld.....

Ron... Fred Vogel will be happy to hear from you... info@autobookworld.com

Might I also say, the photo of Lex on the cover is an excellent choice...

The 'first lady' is a woman of great taste as well.

#5 Paul Newby

Paul Newby

• 525 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 07:10

Yes, it occired to me when Schumacher crossed the line to win this years AGP that he had equalled Lex Davison's record of four wins. The only drivers to have got near this was Roberto Moreno back in the Formula Pacific years at Calder Raceway in the early 80's and of course Graham "Cassius" McRae in F5000 in the 70's (all at Sandown.)

I remember talking to Graham about the Lex book way back in 1996, when it was very much a work in progress, even then! Being a bit of a frustrated writer myself its was very illuminating to hear him talk about tracking down original sources, even back to Lex's school days. I have no doubt that it has been meticulously researched and beautifully written.

Ray, how are you going on that biography of another dual AGP winner Frank Matich? ;)

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,248 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 04:14

I certainly hope it doesn't remain a 'work in progress' as long as the AGP book and the Davison book...

But it is hard to tie Frank down, especially as I'm always travelling and so is he.