Photo

'Das Autobuch' - 1930s German reference

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 20:01

I thought some of the TNF students of 1930s (and earlier) racing might be interested to study the following if they reveal anything not already known to you...from a 1st Edition German copy of 'Das Autobuch' by Hans Stuck & Ernst-Gunther Burggaller:

As one of the first publications of the Third Reich its body text is type-set in the favoured - to the untutored eye virtually unreadable - Gothic script, as in this foreword by von Tchammer und Osten, the Reichsportfuhrer...

Posted Image

...and below is the man himself (right) with our old hero 'Little Chicken' (left)...

Posted Image

But thankfully the Edition's very comprehensive appendices contain some material which I hope some might find interesting, particularly on some of the rather more obscure events of Europe, as follows:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

DCN

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 21:31

I'd been contemplating getting a copy of this for a while. Never having seen either, I assume the difference in pagination between the German and English editions is accounted for by the appendices? Or rather their absence from the English edition?

#3 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 21:52

Gold dust :up:
Years ago I saw a Gothic-script edition for sale but as I already had an English-language edition (fascinating enugh in itself) I didn't bother
If I'd had the wit to look for appendices I would certainly have decided differently :mad:

#4 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,857 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 22:11

Thanks for the confirmation David. On the strength of that and what I've already seen in Doug's posts I've just blown 63 Euros on a copy!

#5 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:11

"Das AUTOBUCH" 1933, by Hans Stuck and Ernst Günther Burggaller, had caught my interest many years ago when I copied most of its race results pages for easy reference. I always saw in this small booklet the little predecessor to the Monkhouse/King-Farlow "GRAND PRIX RACING Facts and Figures" milestone book, published 17 years later, which in turn was superseded by the 'Black Books' of Paul Sheldon & gang. "Das AUTOBUCH" contains racing records from 30 German drivers of the twenties and early thirties, unfortunately rather incomplete and therefore difficult to use as reference. To the contrary, the many race results cover also several more important races of Central Europe and although not complete at all, they are excellent reference which otherwise can only be found in contemporary magazines.

#6 Holger Merten

Holger Merten

• 1,836 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 06:16

Wonderful Doug, thanks for scanning and posting and sharing it.... :up:

#7 Udo K.

Udo K.

• 655 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 22:40

Great, Doug, thank you very much as well. Did not see that book until now.

#8 dbw

dbw

• 993 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 00:19

those two guys look like extras in an indiana jones movie...