Photo

'Das Autobuch' - 1930s German DRIVER reference

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 20:25

Maybe some of the more obscure driver stats from the Appendices of the 1st Edition of 'Das Autobuch' - published in Germany in 1933 might be of interest? As follows:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More to follow if this raises any interest - discussion - further research into obscure drivers, obscure events....????

DCN

Advertisement

#2 Marcor

Marcor

• 1,198 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 21:30

Yes, please, more !!!!

I only have two German sources, Kölnische and Frankfürter Zeitung.

I know the dates of many of those (not so...) obscure events.

#3 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 21:34

This is the sort of thing that always seems to be the catalyst for either, "Whoa! Now who is this?" or "Omigosh! Check out that address for Burggaller! Look, it sez 'Birnholz, I. Gordon-Bennet-Fahrt.' Who was Birnholz and what was the Gordon-Bennet-Fahrt?"

Great stuff as always..... :up:

#4 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 30 March 2004 - 03:57

"Das AUTOBUCH" 1933, by Hans Stuck and Ernst Günther Burggaller, had caught my interest many years ago when I copied most of its race results pages for easy reference. I always saw in this small booklet the little predecessor to the Monkhouse/King-Farlow "GRAND PRIX RACING Facts and Figures" milestone book, published 17 years later, which in turn was superseded by the 'Black Books' of Paul Sheldon & gang. "Das AUTOBUCH" contains racing records from 30 German drivers of the twenties and early thirties, unfortunately rather incomplete and therefore difficult to use as reference. To the contrary, the many race results cover also several more important races of Central Europe and although not complete at all, they are excellent reference which otherwise can only be found in contemporary magazines.