Photo

Gentlemen racers vs the Kurrent Krop.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 22:33

I got around at last to reading the Pirelli-published book about Juan Manuel Fangio that was given to the entrants of the 1991 Monterey Hysterics. Yes, I know, it's been 13 years, but hey, I was a bit busy. :drunk:

I am on page 40 or so. So far, the most fascinating besides the truly extraordinary adventures in the South American pampas with the Carreteras races :eek: is that when Juan was offered a drive as a second fiddle to Farina in the Alfa team, they asked him "how much money do you wish to earn", to which he responded, "please YOU decide of the number". :up:

Meanwhile, Ralphie Schumacher is still undecided he he want 6 or 8 millions of Euros to be unhappy for another year behind the kontrols of the Williams-Bimmer. :cry:

Times have changed, indeed... Fortunately the memory lives, and thanks to the great books, Internet, the Nostalgia forum and a whole bunch of enthusiasts, we can share them so as to keep some basic standards of decency and merit. :)

T54

Advertisement

#2 MPea3

MPea3

• 2,177 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 01:14

I guess emotionally I want to agree with you, but I keep thinking that Ralf would have gladly let his employer determine his salary for racing back in the early days of his career. I realize this sells short the premise of your question though. I guess I just feel that gentlemen and scoundrels have always co-existed in racing throughout it's history, but certainly the winner take all attitude that permeates both the sport and business of current F1 has removed any romantic idea of it being a sport among gentlemen.

#3 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 05:08

The Fangio story is not dissimilar to one about JMF's transition from his Chevrolet Special to a Maserati for the 1948 Temporada races. He allegedly asked the ACA how much he would have to pay for the drive, whereas the other hopefuls all asked how much the ACA would pay them