Photo

Nuvolari sends a bale of hay to Ferrari

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 James L. Kalie

James L. Kalie

• 51 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 01:25

Could someone please retell the story of Nuvolari sending hay to Ferrari for his new "horses". I have somehow lost the specifics. I believe it occured sometime after the break up in 1933. If someone knows the "middle finger" at Monaco story that would be fun to hear as well.

Advertisement

#2 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 11:05

Bump!

Anyone?

Please :)

#3 James L. Kalie

James L. Kalie

• 51 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 16:05

I don't know why no one remembers this story. I have a copy of it somewhere so I know it happened. I can't find it, so I was hoping someone else would verify it for me. "At some point after Tazio left Ferrari in 1933, he was so upset with Enzo that he sent him a bale of hay which he had delivered to Enzo's office with the following message: "This is for your new horses." This happened after Tazio was enjoying renewed success behind the wheel for Maserati. The note was a slam against Enzo's new drivers, who weren't doing so well at that time. Enzo commented to the press that all drivers were pretty much the same. "I have some new horses that I am bringing in that will be just as fast as Nuvolari." One of those drivers was Guy Moll. Eventually Moll became very successfull but only after the Alfa P3's were added to the Scuderia. Moll was killed in mid-1934 at Pescara. Some say this is why Enzo always put Guy Moll in the same class as Nuvolari. Enzo vowed he would never rehire Tazio and technically, he didn't. Vittorio Jano at Alfa did by giving Tazio a car for 1935 then including it into the Scuderia Ferrari team. The "Finger Story" has been verified by Autosport as having happened at Monaco when Nuvolari engineered a pass of Varzi at the same corner where he saw Enzo standing. He could have been fingerr waving to either Varzi or Enzo.

#4 GIGLEUX

GIGLEUX

• 1,519 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 20:08

Let me correct you on one point: you cannot write that Moll begun to be successful only when the Scuderia received the Alfa tipo B (or P3). First race of the tipo B under the Scuderia banner: 15/8/1933 for the Coppa Acerbo. Second date to be considered: Moll entered the Scuderia in 1934, first race and first success Monaco GP!!
"The finger story", which year please?
As far as I know in 1935 the Scuderia Ferrari, as in 1934, was the Alfa-Romeo "official team and representative" so the story of Jano giving a car to Nuvolari let me rather sceptical...
What I know is that it was for the 1934 Mille Miglia that Jano prepared a car for Nuvolari versus the Scuderia ones of Varzi, Chiron, Tadini and Carraroli!

#5 James L. Kalie

James L. Kalie

• 51 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 21:24

Point 1, This is why I suspect the "Haybale Story", yet I know I read it from a credible source. Keep in mind, Tazio was known for doing what Tazio wanted. Sometimes his impetuous behavior got him into trouble later. Point 2, The Finger Story I just found again in Autosport, November, 20, 2003 on page 66. At the Circuit of Modena not Monaco (my mistake) in 1934, "Nuvolari in his Maserati passed Varzi on the outside of Monument Corner, giving Varzi the finger as he did so. This happened in front of Enzo Ferrari." Point 3, Read: When Nuvolari Raced, Valerio Moretti Pages 45. "Vittorio Jano was preparing to launch the 8C-35 monoposto" but it was late in coming so a Tipo B "P3" was updated. "Jano knew that what was needed was a 'secret weapon' to stand a chance against the German teams for 1935". The secret weapon was Nuvolari so an agreement would have to be reached between Tazio and the "hated" Enzo Ferrari. Page 46: Vittorio Jano took the initiative. In early February he called Nuvolari and told him that something new awaited him in Portello. Tazio came from Paris in one day to see the car that had been built for him if he wanted it. He did and he next left for Piacenza and worked out a contract with Comm. Ferrari. Thanks for the reply.