St. Etienne circuit (6 Heures du Fôrez)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Muzza

Muzza

• 802 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 13:28

Fellows,

Does any of you have a map with the lay-out of the circuit used for the 6 Heures du Fôrez, raced in St. Etienne, France in 1957? (It seems that there had been a similar race in 1955)

Thank you,

Muzza

Advertisement

#2 GIGLEUX

GIGLEUX

• 1,519 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 16:37

Posted Image

Sorry but I haven't something better at the moment!

#3 Muzza

Muzza

• 802 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 16:42

Salut, Jean-Maurice,

This already helps a lot!

Would you please post the names of some of the landmarks indicated in the map you posted? (as names of streets, bridges, rivers, etc.) the I may be able to retrace the circuit based in other maps.

(if I manage to do it I will post the result here)

Merci,

Muzza

#4 GIGLEUX

GIGLEUX

• 1,519 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 22:19

In fact the circuit was nearly the same as the one used in 1955 for the race "Les 4 heures du Forez"
The main differences were at the two ends.
The circuit used the new motorway between Saint-Etienne and Saint-Chamond without nearly any protection between the two ways except a hedge!
From left to right you have:
La Massardière near Terrenoire/Saint-Etienne, Les Vignes, the very long and fast curve of La Maison rouge, then Le Baroy and the U-turn at Les Barraques.
On race day what had to happened occured: on lap 20 just as he was going out the Maison rouge
curve in direction of Le Baroy, the car of Carini begun to skid (it was raining), crossed the central separation and he found himself on the other way where he was hit by the car driven by Barreto. The two unfortunate drivers were killed.

Posted Image

N°58 the Ferrari 500 TRC #0694 of Antonio Borges Barreto

Posted Image

N°54 the Ferrari 500 TRC #0648 of Pietro Carini.

Source: Histoire du sport automobile forézien tome 1 by Frédéric Reydellet

#5 Muzza

Muzza

• 802 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 16:42

Hello, Jean-Maurice,

Thanks again!

I have an unexpected trip abroad starting tomorrow, so not to let this subject wind down I will contact Daniel King of Racing Circuits to pick up from here at develop a map for the track.

Thanks also for posting the pictures of the aftermath of the Carini-Borges Barreto accident. Judging by the destruction of the cars - particularly taking into consideration the fact that cars of that time had no deformable structures - one can imagine the sheer violence of the impact (also worth of noting is the fact that the damage on Borges Barreto's car is mostly close to the driver side of the cockpit, quite unluckily).

Additionally, these pictures allow me to know the numbers with which these cars raced that day, something I was looking for.

Best regards,

Muzza

#6 GIGLEUX

GIGLEUX

• 1,519 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 18:37

After looking at your site, I noticed you hadn't to racing numbers of the two cars and that's for that reason I posted the two pictures!

#7 danielking

danielking

• 32 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 23:58

Thanks Muzza for bringing this thread to my attention ;)

Jean-Maurice, thank you for kindly sharing these circuit details! :up: I'd guess the length to be approximately 3 miles, is there a circuit length listed with the circuit map that was posted above?

I have created a track entry on my website for the 1957 variant of St. Etienne at http://www.racingcir.../StEtienne.html

Does anyone have any further information about the earlier circuit configuration, as used in 1955?

#8 GIGLEUX

GIGLEUX

• 1,519 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 01:10

Circuit lengh is given as being 5,690 km. Fastest lap by Flockart 2.11.0 156,336 km/h; other values: fastest laps 2000cc 2.20.0 146,314; 1500c 2.14.4 152,411; 1100cc 2.16.4 150,396; 750cc
2.36.4 130,971 km/h.

Now the 1955 circuit, anticlockwise. At La Massardière there was a tunnel to turn under the motorway. Given as being 4,480 km long. Fastest lap by Rosier 1.56.7 136,880 km/h.

Posted Image

#9 Kvadrat

Kvadrat

• 982 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 01:24

Which layout was used in 1946 GP de Forez race? There are interesting pictures of the race at http://www.thef1.com...=asc&highlight=

#10 danielking

danielking

• 32 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 23:47

:clap: Thanks again Jean Maurice for your kind assistance. Your information has helped me immensely!

Kvadrat, the 1946 GP du Fôrez was held on a completely different circuit to the one used in the 50's. It was based on the streets between the towns of St. Just and Andrézieux, and was located approximately 30km north-west of the 50's venue. It is possible to plot most of the course on a modern street map, although the section to the north of the circuit seems to have been altered over the years.