Photo

Once Upon a Wheel

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lemans

Lemans

• 2,739 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 18:57

on Speed, there was a show called "Once Upon a Wheel" on Wed. nite at 9:00pm. Paul Neuman narrated the program which centered on the opening of the Onatrio Motorspeedway. there was coverage of Pedro at Le Mans, F-1 cars at the old 'Ring, Mario, and Jim Clark to name a few. Did this program air somewhere else? Neuman was in a celebrity race at OMS. Old race coverage dating back to the 1920's was seen.

In the program, Ferrari had gold covered rims. Today, of course they do not. Why and when was this changed?

Advertisement

#2 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,261 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 20:00

The show originally aired on one of the (then) three networks. Off the top of my head, I forget which one. IIRC, it originally aired sometime in Spring 1971.

It also aired at least once on ESPN Classic in the late 90's.

The footage of the opening ceremonies at OMS is outstanding to see :up:

#3 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,360 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 01:10

Lemans-I think the gold colored alloy wheels were "just the way they came" from the manufacturer (Campagnolo, maybe?). For a time, didn't Ferrari's GP cars have light blue wheels? I seem to remember seeing pics of John Surtees in a car with these wheels. I don't think the gold wheels were any sort of team color scheme. These days I wouldn't be surprised if Marlboro had some sort of contractural agreement in place prohibiting gold wheels because they won't match the sponsor colors....
-William