Maserati 50/T2/SS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 guazzoni

guazzoni

• 23 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 12:20

Hello,

first of all I've been reading this forum for a while and I must say I'm hugely impressed.

So I was wondering if some of you could tell me a little more about the maserati two wheelers.

I already learned that they are not always seen as "real" maserati's since they where produced in the battery and spark plug factory.

There where different types (some motorcycles, some mopeds and four stroke as well as two stroke engined models).

My interest is mainly for the 50cc models, where they "badge-engineered", or was the factory really involved in the design? Are they rare?

I once read on the web (though I can't find it right now), that one of the reasons for the bikes (and batterys+ sparkplugs) was that also the sister of the orsi brothers could have her part of the inheritance... (Is there any thruth in this?)

OK, this seems like enough questions already, I'll just add a nice period pic of the supersports model for those of you who haven't seen one before ;)

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 jarama

jarama

• 1,129 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 13:22

guazzoni,

Extracted from the Richard Crump & Rob de la Rive Box book on Maserati, "Maserati / Sports, Racing & GT Cars from 1926":

"The Maserati motorcycles were manufactured by Fabbrica Candele Acumulatori Maserati S.p.a., via Gen. Paoluzzi 165, Modena, Italy between 1953 and 1960. This company was separate from the car factory but still within the Orsi industrial network, and in control was a sister of Adolfo Orsi. As the name suggests, sparkling plugs and batteries were also made there. Total production of motorcycles was less than 100."

There's a picture of an unrestored 50/T2/SS of 1956, stating that there are no available specifications, other than being a 2-stroke 50cc.

The other types were in the range between 125cc & 250cc, anyway if the total production was under the 100-mark, I guess they must be rare items.

Carles.

#3 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 14:46

Dear Soubriquet,
That was very good :clap: ; I couldn't agree with you more, and I don't know a thing about bikes.
Have to go hide the Easter eggs now.

Cheers

#4 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 15:04

Originally posted by soubriquet
That supersports model can sit on my face, any time.

Well, she would be in her seventies by now, go on help yourself... :lol:

#5 Rosemayer

Rosemayer

• 1,253 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 15:32

Hi everyone my first post.There is a resturant close to work that has a 50cc 2 stroke Ferrari motorcycle of about the same vintage.