Photo

Reid Railton

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 MPea3

MPea3

• 2,177 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 23:03

It's my understanding that after Cobb's death, Reid Railton was so upset that he quit doing any more LSR or WSR design. DId he stay out of the design field forever, and whatever happened to him?

Also, I'm a bit confused as to his nationality. Was he a Brit or a Yank? I know the Railton road car was soem sort of Anglo-American affair, but that marque was (I think) already gone by the time Cobb died. In reading about Cobb's attempt in Crusader, I find mention of Railton going back to his home in California.

As usual, I'm hoping TNF can shed some accurate light on this.

Advertisement

#2 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 23:37

Reid Railton

Reid Anthony Railton’s accomplishments were many. This painfully lean, bespectacled man who invariably wore suspenders, and prescription sunglasses designed and built a complete car of his own; designed “the ultimate car” – a car produced without regard to costs; designed several Land Speed record cars; and designed a Water Speed Record boat. Yet he was a man so incredibly shy, so softspoken, so unpossessed of vanity that his efforts were almost unknown outside the motoring profession until other people started putting Railton’s name on some of his creations, thereby gaining him a measure of the public recognition he deserved.

Railton was born June 24, 1895, at Alderley Edge, England, 3 years before the Land Speed record was officially born, and obtained a Bachelor of Science degree from Manchester University. As a truck design assistant at Leyland Motors Ltd. he worked for none other than John Godfrey Parry Thomas, the Welsh wizard; the thought of these 2 men working on trucks is ludicrous in light of their subsequent achievements. This was 1915, however, and Railton’s great achievements were more than a dozen years away.

He left Leyland in 1923 to design and build his own car at Brooklands with Thomas. It was a 2-litre, 4-cylinder, inclined valve o.h.c. design, and by 1927 – when Parry Thomas died at the wheel of Babs at Pendine Sands, and Railton gave up the independent effort – only 10 had been sold. Thomas’s old company was restarted as Thomson & Taylor Ltd. in premises that later became the Cooper factory. Railton was T&T’s chief designer, his first task to produce a sports version of the Riley 9, introduced in 1926 in its standard form.

Railton was also racing, and in the Brooklands meeting of 1927 he won the one-mile handicap race, in what was to become the Brooklands Riley when replicas were sold. In 1928 he was married, and the following year he initially met Malcolm Campbell who had a 1,400-h.p. Napier Lion airplane engine and needed a car designed for it.

A full-scale model of Railton’s design was completed in 1930 and extensively tested in the Vickers Aircraft wind tunnel. When all the design modifications were completed, the actual building of the car took 36 days and nights; it was delivered in December 1930. The car was never defeated in its 5-year life. By the time it was retired in 1935, other Railton’s were in the capable hands of Campbell, based on a 2500 b.h.p V-12 Rolls-Royce airplane engine. John Cobb’s Napier-Railton was so named by Cobb himself, who thus gave Reid credit for its success.

Railton’s name was also on an Anglicized version of the American Hudson, starting in 1933, and when production ceased in 1950, some 1,460 of these had been sold. Whitney Straight, the American expatriate who later headed BOAC and served as an aide to King George VI during World War II, had Reid rebuild his 2.5-litre Maserati Grand Prix car around 1933. He was so happy with the results, that he had 3 more Railtonized for his private team. Reid also worked with Raymond Mays and Peter Berthon on the ERA project, based on the Rileys Mays raced, and Reid served as a continuing consultant not only to Riley but to MG.

It was Railton who told Cobb about the Bonneville Salt Flats and started the parade of LSR contenders to the Utah salts (then known as Salduro Salts). The year 1937 was a busy one, for Reid not only designed a Water Speed Record boat for Campbell that went 129.30 m.p.h, but an LSR car for Cobb based on 2 combined 1,250-b.h.p Napier Lion engines. The Napier-Railton captured the record in 1937, 1938 and 1947, and was the car that held the record longest in history, until the American assaults of the mid-sixties. Reid himself was at these runs; in fact, in 1939 he stayed in America, settling in Berkeley, Calif., and opening his new career by joining Hall-Scott Motor Co., makers of boat engines. He stayed with that concern, working on defense and war projects, through 1945, then quit to become a consultanr again. Among his first projects was readying Cobb’s pre-war car for the 1947 LSR attempt.

In 1948 Reid became a regular Hudson consultant, an association that lasted until 1956. He helped Cobb with the Water Speed Record design in 1949, and was with the burly Britisher when Cobb was killed in a WSR attempt at Loch Ness in 1952. That, plus an aversion to jet propulsion for cars or boats, pretty much ended Railton’s involvement with speed.

From Cutter & Fendell

#3 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 14:21

Sorry to bump this, but...................

I've been approached by Railton's daughter as to the possiblity of a biography.

I'd be interested to hear any anecdotes, stories, rumours etc

I do have to say I am puzzled by the remark "That, plus an aversion to jet propulsion for cars or boats, pretty much ended Railton’s involvement with speed."

It was Railton that suggested the use of the jet engine in a purpose built craft, that is to say Cobb's Crusader,(although he had an aversion to put one in a boat designed for a prop, e.g Malcolm Campbell's K4), and later to Ken and Lew Norris when designing Donald Campbell's Bluebird K7.

Where did the statement originate?

I look forward to a long long thread!!!!

#4 Dutchy

Dutchy

• 706 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 13:40

"He left Leyland in 1923 to design and build his own car at Brooklands with Thomas. It was a 2-litre, 4-cylinder, inclined valve o.h.c. design, and by 1927 – when Parry Thomas died at the wheel of Babs at Pendine Sands, and Railton gave up the independent effort – only 10 had been sold"

Would that be the Arab?

A small point about the Straight Maseratis. The first car was a 2 seater 8C-3000. The 3 others you refer to were 8CM monopostos

#5 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 13:55

Originally posted by Dutchy
"He left Leyland in 1923 to design and build his own car at Brooklands with Thomas. ...."

In a letter quoted in Hugh Tours' biography of Thomas, Railton says they went their separate ways after leaving Leyland, although maintaining their friendship. Railton was present at Pendine when Thomas died.

#6 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 16:33

A small point about the Straight Maseratis. The first car was a 2 seater 8C-3000. The 3 others you refer to were 8CM monopostos

Not so. Milan was right. The first was car a 2½-litre model

#7 Dutchy

Dutchy

• 706 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 16:58

Apologies - my mistake in calling it an 8C-3000. I should know better and for some strange reason was thinking of Birkin's car.
I was trying to remove the inference that the later 3 cars he had were the same as his first Maserati.

#8 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 21:57

"He left Leyland in 1923 to design and build his own car at Brooklands with Thomas. It was a 2-litre, 4-cylinder, inclined valve o.h.c. design, and by 1927 – when Parry Thomas died at the wheel of Babs at Pendine Sands, and Railton gave up the independent effort – only 10 had been sold"

Would that be the Arab?

I think it would.
Tim Nicholson's account in Georgano is uncertain about Parry Thomas' involvement, but everyone else agrees with the above version. Arab seems to have co-existed with Phoenix in the latter's works here in Letchworth. Accounts of how many were built vary, but ten is about right I think.
In a talk I gave which referred to the Arab, I mentioned that there was perhaps still a Leyland connection as a supercharged Arab was made for Henry Spurrier jr., son of the Leyland MD.
Mrs Joslin (RR's daughter) happened upon a transcript of that talk on t'internet and telephoned to tell me that Henry Spurrier was Reid Railton's oldest friend, and to ask if I knew any more as she was hoping a biography would be written. Sadly I didn't.

#9 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:40

Ah, tis a small world Allan!

#10 karlkars

karlkars

• 6 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:55

Hello Folks! :wave:

I'm reactivating this thread because I'm now right into writing a biography of Reid Railton, I'm supported by his daughter Sally and the good wishes of Railton fans around the world.

I'm pretty well supplied with info on all the basic things but I'm still on the lookout for more esoteric insights, for example on his work during WW2 on engines for Fairmile fast boats, relationship with Hall-Scott Engines, any other items of interest.

Thanks in advance for any hints and tips that you may have. And wish me luck!

Karl Ludvigsen

#11 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,102 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:22

Good luck!  :wave:

#12 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:11

Do we know where in Alderley Edge he was born?

#13 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:17

I'm still doing my bit Karl!!!

#14 AAGR

AAGR

• 397 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 13:59

I wish Karl all the best with his quest to produce the definitive biography of a great designer. When completed, I am sure that it will fill a big gap in our historic knowledge.

#15 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 16:35

John, probate for ma and pa shown as Cherry Tree House, Alderley Edge 1937. There is a birth certificate available via Ancestry for Reid, but I can find nothing for them in 1891 , 1901 or 1911 census. RAR is shown at Rugby school in 1911.
Roger

#16 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 17:21

1911 Census has Charles Withington Railton, a sharebroker, aged 54, head of household and married and John Cedric Railton, his son aged 21, sharebroker's clerk and single, at Cherry Tree House. There's a blank line between them on the form, so presumably Mrs Railton was elsewhere on the day - not apparently in England though. I did find her on the 1871, 1881 and 1891 Censuses. But not 1901 either, so perhaps Reid was with her on that occasion.

Her maiden name was Sharman, BTW. Born in Wellingborough and daughter of a solicitor.

Karl: are you aware of the LeBlanc Bardahl Streamliner project?

#17 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,530 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 18:47

John C Railton (11) was away at Bedford school in 1901.

#18 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 20:43

Richard, I saw that and was waiting to see John's response, opting not to cite the surname.  Geoff, I saw John C , but did not investigate too far with the census at the time. I was intrigued by the 1901 absences though.

RL

#19 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,530 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 20:45

Cherry Tree House - albeit now split into flats - still exists  http://www.rightmove...y-38737592.html

Advertisement

#20 PJGD

PJGD

• 143 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:39

I see that Reid Railton was granted a number of patents for various facets of automotive design, as one would expect:

http://worldwide.esp...ry=reid railton

I must admit that I had never heard of Robot Gearing Ltd. before.

PJGD

#21 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:05

Wish I could claim a relationship with RR but we come from Lincolnshire via Yorkshire  to Lancashire and thence to Cheshire. The other bit of ancestry that I haven't yet got to the bottom of is maternal great grandmother who was a Keevil (as in Keevil and March)

#22 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 2,198 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 16:14

Hello Folks! :wave:

I'm reactivating this thread because I'm now right into writing a biography of Reid Railton, I'm supported by his daughter Sally and the good wishes of Railton fans around the world.

I'm pretty well supplied with info on all the basic things but I'm still on the lookout for more esoteric insights, for example on his work during WW2 on engines for Fairmile fast boats, relationship with Hall-Scott Engines, any other items of interest.

Thanks in advance for any hints and tips that you may have. And wish me luck!

Karl Ludvigsen

Great news and looking forward to it.

Paul

#23 karlkars

karlkars

• 6 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:09

Thanks a lot for all responses! Most helpful!

No, I'm not familiar with the LeBlanc Bardahl Streamliner project. How does it relate to Railton?

Thanks again and best,

Karl L.

#24 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 15:35

The bodywork of the LeBlanc was essentially a miniature copy of the Railton Mobil Special, Karl. It was fibreglass-bodied and powered by twin Chrysler hemis; the design was apparently approved by Reid himself, even though he foreswore record-breakers after Cobb's death in 1952 - although that permission may date to before Cobb's demise. Some details here on the Kustomrama website: http://www.kustomram...LeBlanc_Special

Here it is at Bonneville in 1954, driven by Glenn Pangry:

5265158820_903b14e843_z.jpg

Sadly, it was destroyed in a crash that year and Pangry lost an arm. While looking for pictures of it, I discovered that Gene LeBlanc, its builder, died just over a month ago.

#25 karlkars

karlkars

• 6 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 13:39

Thanks for that, Vitesse 2. The car certainly deserved better.

As for influence Dean Batchelor told me that he very much followed Railton's body for the MG EX135 of Goldie Garner in his work on the envelope-bodied SoCal Special and other Bonneville cars.

It was through Dean that I arranged to speak to Railton back in 1974 or so.

Karl L.

#26 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 14:19

Another record car which seems to bear a remarkable resemblance to Cobb's Railton is Alexei Peltser's 1946 Zvezda, which was powered by a 350cc NSU racing engine - presumably 'liberated' from the Auto Union works. Peltser worked at NAMI, which at the same time was working on the similarly 'liberated' Auto Union D-type that Sokolov crashed with disastrous consequences.

#27 Steve L

Steve L

• 547 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 15:21

It was through Dean that I arranged to speak to Railton back in 1974 or so.

Karl L.

How did you find him Karl?

Was he happy to talk about past glories?

#28 karlcars

karlcars

• 660 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 17:12

I found him very forthcoming and low-key, as was his reputation. He considered himself "very lucky" to have been able to work on such interesting projects.

I'm more than half-way through writing his biography, which I expect to complete early next year. Just fascinating stuff in a great era of racing and records. But I do get sidetracked -- had to write a whole appendix on the Napier Lion!

#29 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 12:45

As an update to this thread, Karl's book was launched at Brooklands last Tuesday.

Reid Railton; Man Of Speed, is a fantastic piece of work, beautifully written and produced and well worth seeking out.

Be quick, this will be a much sought after tome!!

#30 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 13:37

Steve,

Take your light out from under the bushel.  Aren't you just about to publish a book about John Cobb and the Railton-designed Crusader?

#31 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 12:58

Steve,

Take your light out from under the bushel.  Aren't you just about to publish a book about John Cobb and the Railton-designed Crusader?

Sorry, only just seen this!

I do indeed have a more or less completed manuscript, currently with the same publisher as Karl's book. I allowed Karl full use of it, which he has kindly referenced throughout. My light however has to stay under a bushel as there is a little spanner in the works that needs extracting!!!

#32 DCapps

DCapps

• 877 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 14:45

Karl will be speaking at the Michael Argetsinger Symposium on this topic on Saturday afternoon, 10 November. The presentation will be at the IMRRC in Watkins Glen, New York.