Photo

One-off drives

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 David Hyland

David Hyland

• 289 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 00:02

Inspired by the "Drivers out of retirement" thread, what are some of the memorable "one-off" (or two-off) drives. The kind of occasion I'm thinking of is Mario Andretti's one-off drive in a Williams at Long Beach(?) in 1982 [followed by a similar "one-off" for Ferrari at Monza later in the year IIRC]; John Watson's single-race return to McLaren subbing for Lauda in Belgium(?) 1985 - that kind of thing.

Apologies if there's already been a thread on this topic. (I tried "Search BB", but found it difficult to accurately search for "one off")

Advertisement

#2 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,243 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 03:42

Originally posted by David Hyland
Inspired by the "Drivers out of retirement" thread, what are some of the memorable "one-off" (or two-off) drives. The kind of occasion I'm thinking of is Mario Andretti's one-off drive in a Williams at Long Beach(?) in 1982 [followed by a similar "one-off" for Ferrari at Monza later in the year IIRC]; John Watson's single-race return to McLaren subbing for Lauda in Belgium(?) 1985 - that kind of thing.

Apologies if there's already been a thread on this topic. (I tried "Search BB", but found it difficult to accurately search for "one off")

That year in 1982, Andretti was back at the of a Ferrari at the season finale in Las Vegas. I wouldn`t call this memorable but you can add Mike Thackwell - 1980 & 1984 Canadian GP

#3 Mac Lark

Mac Lark

• 744 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 05:53

Do one off DNQs count?

Roberto Moreno at France(?) in 82

Which brings to mind Geoff Lees at whatever the next race was in the Lotus.

And I recall Lees in a Tyrrell in a 1 or 2 off drive in the middle of 1979.

Most of Brian Redmans F1 drives seem to have been one offs

Did't Jack Oliver do a one off for Shadow after he'd seemingly retired from F1?

#4 David Hyland

David Hyland

• 289 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 06:21

Do Fangio's drives in the 1958 Argentine and French GPs count, after his retirement(?) at the end of 1957? By my recollection, he drove in Argentina because it was his home country, and in France for some commercial (sponsorship?) reason.

#5 David Hyland

David Hyland

• 289 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 06:26

M.Schumacher, Jordan, Belgian GP 1991 ;)

#6 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,849 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:22

Chris Amon did a couple of interesting two-off drives in the Canada + USA GP's in 1973 ( Tyrrell ) and 1974 ( BRM ) . The former was more notable for the tragedy the team suffered at the Glen , but '74 was lighter-hearted : if I remember well , Big Lou had gotten fed up with the poor results of the year and , blaming it on his "all-french" driver lineup, fired Migault and Pescarolo and called in Chris Amon to prove that, in proper "british" (*) hands, the P201 couldn't be as bad as it had looked so far.....of course , Beltoise was not amused , and made a "point of honour" not to be outqualified by his prestigious team-mate in Canada , before injuring himself in practice at the Glen , leaving Chris to stand alone for BRM....

(*) yes, I know Chris Amon is a Kiwi, but well, you see what I mean....

#7 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:40

Do Fangio's drives in the 1958 Argentine and French GPs count, after his retirement(?) at the end of 1957? By my recollection, he drove in Argentina because it was his home country, and in France for some commercial (sponsorship?) reason.

hardly think that counts.Did he anounce his retirement at the end of 1957? I thought it was just the works Maserati team.He also went to Indianapolis but failed to qualify. AFAIK he anounced his retirement at end of July 1958.

#8 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,007 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 08:15

Forgot this from the 'retirement' thread, but Froilan Gonzalez had a couple of one-off drives - Britain 1956 for Vanwall and Argentina 1960, 3 years or so after his last F1 race.

Wattie had a one-off for Lotus at the 'Ring one year when Ickx was injured/disinclined (cannot remember which!).

#9 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 09:42

Originally posted by philippe7

Chris Amon did a couple of interesting two-off drives in the Canada + USA GP's in 1973 ( Tyrrell ) and 1974 ( BRM ) . The former was more notable for the tragedy the team suffered at the Glen , but '74 was lighter-hearted : if I remember well , Big Lou had gotten fed up with the poor results of the year and , blaming it on his "all-french" driver lineup, fired Migault and Pescarolo and called in Chris Amon to prove that, in proper "british" (*) hands, the P201 couldn't be as bad as it had looked so far.....of course , Beltoise was not amused , and made a "point of honour" not to be outqualified by his prestigious team-mate in Canada , before injuring himself in practice at the Glen , leaving Chris to stand alone for BRM....

Another 'one-off' for Chris was the 1972 Victory race at Brands Hatch, where he drove the Frank Williams Politoys.

Brian Redman in the Ensign at the 1974 International Trophy and Noritake Takahara in the works March at the same meeting.

Mario Andretti in a Wolf Williams at the 1976 International Trophy

Giancarlo Martini in the Scuderia Everest Ferrari 3123T in the '76 Race of Champions and International Trophy (although I can't recall whether he actually made it to the grid on either occaision!)

Peter Gethin had a one-off comeback with BRM in Canada 1973, and competed in the 1974 British GP in an Embassy Hill. These were, in fact, his last two Grand Prix.

Tim Schenken raced an ISO Williams in the 1973 Canadian GP and a Lotus 76 in the 1974 US GP.

Dave Morgan's sole GP was when he raced a Surtees in the 1975 British round at Silverstone.

John Watson, as already mentioned, raced a Lotus 72 in the 1975 German GP. His one-off McLaren return was the 1985 European GP at Brands, subbing for Lauda. Mansell won his first GP that day, which is possibly why nobody remembers Wattie's contribution...

Tony Brise made his F1 debut with Frank Williams in the ill-fated 1975 Spanish GP.

Jackie Oliver had a one-off BRM return in the 1972 British GP and then later he stepped in at Shadow following the death of Tom Pryce, driving in the 1977 Swedish GP and the Race of Champions.

Ivan Capelli's first GPs were two 'two-offs' with Tyrrell and AGS in 1985 and '86 respectively.

Jean Max made his sole GP appearance in the 1971 French GP at the wheel of a Frank Williams-entered March 701.

Francois Mazet did likewise in the same race and in a similar chassis, albeit his was entered by Jo Siffert Automobiles.

Richard Robarts drove an ISO Williams at the 1974 Swedish GP, although he posted a DNS.

Damien Magee raced in his only GP at the same race, also in an ISO.

Gilles Villeneuve in a McLaren at Silverstone in '77.

Yet another Frank Williams one-off was Graham McRae in the 1973 British GP.

Geoff Lees had three one-offs; Mario Deliotti Ensign in the 1978 British GP, for Tyrrell in the 1979 German GP and for Lotus in the 1982 French GP.

Johnny Herbert did one GP for Ligier; the 1994 European GP at Jerez.

Emanuele Naspetti drove a Jordan in the 1993 Portuguese GP.

Gianni Morbidelli had a one-off race for Ferrari in the 1991 Australian GP.

Nicola Larini did likewise in the 1994 San Marino GP.

Marco Apicella raced once for Jordan in the 1993 Italian GP.

TW

#10 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 09:52

Jacky Ickx had two one-offs in 1973; for McLaren at the Nurburgring, and for Frank Williams at Watkins Glen. I suppose you could argue it was three, as he drove for Ferrari at Monza, having previously quit the team after the British GP...

Tiff Needell at the 1980 Belgian GP in an Ensign.

The only GP Torsten Palm qualifyed for was the 1974 Swedish GP in a Hesketh. Bertil Roos did likewise in the same race, driving a Shadow.

Miguel-Angel Guerra's only GP was less than half a lap of the 1981 San Marino GP.

TW

#11 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,584 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 11:00

Monza 1988: Jean-Louis Schlesser was looking for sand dunes in the Variante Good Year. Senna was storming to his and McLaren xth victory that year (would have placed McLaren in the unbeaten season list with Arsenal, AC Milan .. oops of topic, or better 100% win list).

Enzo was in the sky looking down at the Monza park. Berger and Alboreto were hanging in there as well. This was a REAL Ferrari party and memorial event. And a memorable one off for Jean-Louis.

#12 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 11:57

Andrea de Adamich at Ferrari?

Kyalami 1968 - looking like an accident waiting to happen - wait over- accident in race.

RoC Brands - ditto in practise at Paddock - smashed glasses, teeth, and chance of ever driving a Ferrari F1 again. Lucky to be dragged out of it alive.

PWM

#13 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,121 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 14:59

A common feature of many of the above is how many of the one-offs occurred in the 1970s, especially in the mid to back of grid 'KitCars' that were so popular then. Didn't it make for a fantastic variety of drivers/cars, even if not all were potential champions. Such variety is of course sadly lacking since these great days.

#14 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,007 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 15:34

Originally posted by Twin Window
Miguel-Angel Guerra's only GP was less than half a lap of the 1981 San Marino GP.

Which was about half a lap longer than Marco Apicella's GP career.

Pity poor David Kennedy; after a run of DNQs, he makes the grid in Spain, only to have the race chalked off by Balestre later. OK, he may not have qualified had the full complement been present, but you never know - he was not the slowest, IIRC - but that would have been his only WC GP.

And even worse for Patrick Gaillard... :(

Another in a similar position was Desire Wilson at South Africa 1981, only she lasted a lot longer, was a lot quicker and had had fewer DNQs.

#15 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 15:58

Originally posted by Mallory Dan
A common feature of many of the above is how many of the one-offs occurred in the 1970s, especially in the mid to back of grid 'KitCars' that were so popular then. Didn't it make for a fantastic variety of drivers/cars, even if not all were potential champions. Such variety is of course sadly lacking since these great days.

:clap:

Exactly, seventies privateers and the late-80s/early-90s "wide awake club" of prequalifiers are the things that sustain my interest in F1 these days ;)

#16 Teapot

Teapot

• 342 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 17:05

Jonathan Williams drove his only GP at Mexico City in 1967, at the wheel of a Ferrari 312: he started 16th and finished 8th, two laps behind the winner, Jim Clark. There is a brief interview about the race on this May's issue of MotorSport.

#17 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 17:20

Originally posted by Arjan de Roos
Monza 1988: Jean-Louis Schlesser was looking for sand dunes in the Variante Good Year. Senna was storming to his and McLaren xth victory that year (would have placed McLaren in the unbeaten season list with Arsenal, AC Milan .. oops of topic, or better 100% win list).

...and his one-off dnq for RAM in the 1983 French GP.

Also, not forgetting his uncle's tragic one-off...

Originally posted by Mallory Dan

Absolutely - how I miss the 70s! It was fantastic if you followed a team like Williams, as I did, because at one stage you literally never knew who'd be 'your' drivers from one race to the next!

More one/two-offs...

Henri Pescarolo raced the works March in the 1973 Spanish GP.

Peter Revson in the third Tyrrell for the 1971 US GP.

Alan Jones raced for Arrows in the 1983 US GP (West) at Long Beach.

Tom Pryce's GP debut at Nivelles 1974 was a one-off affair with Token, although he had raced for them in thhe International Trophy.

Conny Anderson in a Surtees for the 1976 Dutch GP

Johnny Herbert raced for Tyrrell in the 1989 Belgian GP, BUT failed to qualify for them in Portugal.

The non-Championship 1971 Argentine GP saw Carlos Reutemann make his F1 debut in a McLaren, Wilson Fittipaldi make his in a Gold Leaf Lotus 49 and Derek Bell raced a March 701.

John Watson raced a works Brabham BT42 in the 1973 US GP (the Ceramica Pagnossin entry Stommelen had been racing beforehand)

Stommelen himself had a one-off for Hesketh in the 1976 Dutch GP.

Manfred Winkelhock drove a Brabham in the 1984 Portuguese GP.

Arturo Merzario drove for Copersucar Fittipaldi in the 1976 Italian GP and for Shadow in the 1977 Austrian GP.

Ian Ashley raced for BRM in the 1976 Brazilian GP.

Another BRM Grand Prix one-off was Vern Schuppan at Nivelles in 1972; he qualifyed but Marko nicked his car for the race. Schuppan did, however, race for them several times in non-Championship races during 1972/3.

Michel Leclere made his GP debut in a Tyrrell at Watkins Glen in 1975.

Leo Kinnunen only qualified for th one GP in Sweden 1974. He was also the last GP driver to use an open face helmet.

Patrick Depailler drove a third Tyrrell in two one-offs during 1972; Clermont Ferrand and Watkins Glen.

J-P Jabouille finally got onto a GP grid behind the wheel of a Tyrrell in the 1975 French GP, having previously failed to qualify a an ISO Williams in the 1974 French GP and likewise a Surtees in that year's Austrian GP.

Another Surtees one-off 'DNQer' was Patrick Tambay in the 1977 French GP.

Lella Lombardi qualified a Williams for the 1975 US GP but failed to start.

Martin Brundle drove a Williams in the 1988 Belgian GP.

Philippe Alliot had one race in Hungary for McLaren in 1994, and before that had a one-off for Larrousse in that years Belgian GP.

Nanni Galli raced a works Ferrari in the 1972 French GP. He also failed to qualify a McLaren Alfa for the 1970 Italian GP.

Johnny Servoz-Gavin raced a Cooper in the 1968 French GP.

Reine Wisell had a few one/two-offs, the last of which was in a works March at the 1974 Swedish GP.

Howden Ganley did the first two races of 1974 for March.

Stefan Johansson's appearance in a Tyrrell for the 1985 Brazilian GP was technically a one-off.

I'm going to eat my tea...

TW

#18 Coogar

Coogar

• 139 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 21:56

Somebody once told me: "It's better to be a 'has-been' than a 'never was'." But sometimes the 'never was's' are more interesting. How about a 'DNQ thread' ?

#19 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 23:20

The great Jimmy Clark in one NASCAR race driving a Holman-Moody Ford at Rockingham, NC on October 29, 1967 just a few months before his death:

http://www.racing-re...967-48&series=W

Henry

Advertisement

#20 bkalb

bkalb

• 139 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 00:12

Mansell did that one-and-a-half-off for McLaren in 1995, drove at San Marino (finished 10th), and sort of drove at Spain (parked it complaining of bad handling).

#21 Ralliart

Ralliart

• 669 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 00:56

Tiff Needell had a one off that was written up in Motor Sport's one-off series.

#22 dbltop

dbltop

• 1,664 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 06:22

Mark Donohue in a beautiful Sunoco McLaren at Mosport in 1971.

#23 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 06:41

Originally posted by Ralliart
Tiff Needell had a one off that was written up in Motor Sport's one-off series.

Actually a 2 off as he practiced but failed to qualify at Monaco. Only 20 cars were alowed to start at that time.

#24 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,007 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 07:59

How about Peter Collins' USAC appearance?

#25 VDP

VDP

• 666 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 09:22

Mika Salo replacing Michael Schumacher after his crash at silverstone

ROBERT

#26 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 15:23

Today I have nothing to do and plenty of time, so I can recall the following new entries (in alphabetical order). I listed also drivers who moved to a team for the last GP and they went on with te same team on following year (like Sato Japan 2003 and 2004) :
  • Philippe Adams replaced Alex Zanardi on Lotus at Belgium and Portugal GP 1994
  • Conny Andersson drove a Surtees at Netherlands GP 1976
  • Mario Andretti drove a Parnelli at South Africa and USA West GP 1976
  • René Arnoux replaced Rupert Keegan on Surtees at USA East and Canada GP 1978. In 1985 he was shot off from Ferrari after first GP (Brazil)
  • Paolo Barilla replaced Pierluigi Martini on Minardi at Japan GP 1989
  • Zsolt Baumgartner replaced Ralph Firman on Jordan at Hungary and Italy 2003
  • Eric Bernard replaced Yannick Dalmas on Lola Larrousse at France and Great Britain GP 1989. In 1994, he replaced Johnny Herbert on Lotus at Europe GP.
  • Hans Binder drove ATS at Austria GP 1978 (DNQ)
  • Michael Bleekemolen drove March at Netherlands GP 1977
  • Gary Brabham drove (!) Life in the first 2 GPs 1990, USA and Brazil. I don't know how many laps he did :cool:
  • Vittorio Brambilla drove Alfa Romeo at Spain (non world championship GP), Netherlands and Italy GP 1980.
  • Warwick Brown drove a Williams at USA East GP 1976
  • Luciano Burti replaced Eddie Irvine on Jaguar at Austria GP 2000
  • Alex Caffi replaced Allen Berg on Osella at Italy GP 1986
  • Ivan Capelli drove second Tyrrell at Europe and Australia GP 1985, then he drove AGS Jolly Club at Italy and Portugal GP 1986 (both already mentioned). Then in 1993 he drove Jordan for the first 2 GPs (South Africa and Brazil, the latter DNQ), then he was replaced by Thierry Boutsen
  • Eddie Cheever drove Thedore at Argentina and Brazil GP 1978 (both DNQ), Hesketh at South Africa GP 1978. In 1986 he replaced Patrick Tambay on Lola Hass at Detroit GP.
  • Kevin Cogan drove a private Williams at Canada GP 1980 (DNQ). Next year, he drove Tyrrell #4 at Long Beach 1981, then he was replaced by Ricardo Zunino (see)
  • Alberto Colombo drove ATS at Belgium and Spain GP 1978 (both DNQ) and second Merzario at Italy GP 1978 (DNpQ)
  • Yannick Dalmas replaced Olivier Beretta and Philippe Alliot on Larrousse at Italy and Portugal GP 1994
  • Derek Daly drove replaced Jean-Pierre Jarier on Tyrrell at Austria GP 1979.
  • Christian Danner replaced Jonathan Palmer on Zakspeed at Belgium and Europe GP 1985
  • Anthony Davidson replaced Alex Yoong on Minardi at Hungary and Belgium GP 2002
  • Andrea De Cesaris drove second Alfa Romeo at Canada and USA East GP 1980. In 1994 he replaced Eddie Irvine on second Jordan at San Marino and Monaco GP.
  • Bernard de Dryver drove March at Belgium GP 1977 (DNQ)
  • Jean-Denis Délétraz replaced Eric Comas on Larrousse at Australia GP 1994
  • Emilio De Villota drove a Brabham at Spai GP 1976 (DNQ), a McLaren at Spain GP 1978 (DNQ) and a private Williams at Spain GP 1980 (non championship race)
  • Martin Donnelly replaced Derek Warwick on Arrows at France GP 1989
  • Harald Ertl drove ATS at Italy GP 1978 and Germany GP 1980 (both DNQ)
  • Bob Evans drove official Lotus at South Africa and Long Beach (DNQ) GP 1976, then he drove a Brabham at Great Britain GP 1976
  • Gregor Foitek replaced Christian Danner on Rial at Spain GP 1989 (DNQ); in 1990 he drove Brabham for first 2 GPs (USA and Brazil), then he moved to Onyx and he was replaced by David Brabham
  • Giorgio Francia drove a Brabham at Italy GP 1977 and he replaced Piercarlo Ghinzani on second Osella at Spain GP 1981 (both DNQ)
  • Beppe Gabbiani replaced Vittorio Brambilla, injuried, on Surtees at USA East and Canada GP 1978 (both DNQ).
  • Betrand Gachot replaced Christian Danner and Gregor Foitek on Rial at Japan and Australia GP 1989 (both DNQ). In 1991 - after he left prison - he replaced Eric Bernard on Lola Larrousse at Australia GP.
  • Divina Galica drove Surtees at Great Britain 1976 and Hesketh at Argentina and Brazil GP 1978 (all DNQ)
  • Marc Gené replaced Ralf Schumacher on Williams at Italy GP 2003.
  • Piercarlo Ghinzani replaced injuried Angel Guerra at Belgium and Monaco (DNQ) GP 1981.
  • Bruno Giacomelli drove McLaren at Italy GP 1977
  • «Gimax» drove Surtees at Italy GP 1978 (DNQ)
  • Jean-Marc Gounon replaced Christian Fittipaldi on Minardi at Japan and Australia GP 1991
  • Masahiro Hasemi drove Kojima at Japan GP 1976
  • Naoki Hattori replaced Pedro Chaves on Coloni at Japan and Australia GP 1991 (both DNpQ)
  • Boy Hayie drove a Penske at Netherlands GP 1976
  • Johnny Herbert replaced Jean Alesi on Tyrrell at Belgium and Portugal (DNQ) GP 1989, as already mentioned. In 1990 he replaced Martin Donnelly, after his crash, on Lotus at Japan and Australia GP. In 1994 he replaced Eric Bernard on Ligier at Europe GP (as mentioned), then he moved to Benetton to replace Jos Verstappen at Japan and Australia GP.
  • Francois Hesnault drove third Renault at Germany 1985
  • Hans Heyer drove ATS Penske at Germany GP 1977
  • Ingo Hoffman drove second Copersucar at Argentina and Brazil GP 1977
  • Kazuyoshi Hoshino drove Tyrrell at Japan GP 1976 and Kojima at Japan GP 1977
  • Jackie Ickx drove an Ensign at Monaco GP 1977.
  • Taki Inoue drove second Simtek at Japan GP 1994
  • Eddie Irvine drove second Jordan (that had so many drivers before!) at Japan and Australia GP 1993
  • Jean Pierre Jarier drove a Shadow at USA East GP 1977 and second Ligier at Japan GP 1977. In 1978 he replaced Ronnie Peterson on Lotus after his death at USA East and Canada GP. In 1981, he drove Ligier at Long Beach and Brazil GP; IIRC he was replacing Jean Pierre Jabouille, still injuried.
  • Stefan Johansson drove Shadow in the first 2 1980 GPs (Argentina and Brazil - both DNQ); then he was replaced by Geoff Lees. Again 10 years later: he drove first 2 GP (USA and Brazil) for Onyx, then he was replaced by Gregor Foitek. Again next year: he drove first 2 GPs (USA and Brazil) for AGS, then he was replaced by Fabrizio Barbazza
  • Loris Kessel drove Apollon Williams at Italy GP 1977 (DNQ)
  • Mikko Kozarowitzky drove March at Sweden GP 1977 (DNQ)
  • Masami Kuwashima drove Williams at Japan GP 1976 (DNQ)
  • Franck Lagorce replaced Eric Bernard and Johnny Herbert on Ligier at Japan and Australia 1994
  • Jan Lammers replaced Karl Wendlinger on March in Japan and Australia 1992
  • Nicola Larini drove Coloni at Italy (DNQ) and Spain GP 1987. Later, replaced Ivan Capelli in Japan and Australia 1992; then he replaced Jean Alesi at Pacific and San Marino GP 1994. Of course in both cases he was on Ferrari.
  • Geoff Lees, as mentioned, drove Ensign at Great Britain 1978 (DNQ); In 1979 he replaced Jean-Pierre Jarier on Tyrrell at Germany GP (as mentioned). In 1980 he drove second Ensign at Netherlands and Italy (DNQ) GP and a private Williams at USA East GP. Two years later, he replaced Jan Lammers at Canada 1982 on Thedore. I think he was involved in Paletti's crash. One month later, he replaced Mansell at France GP, as already mentioned.
  • JJ Lehto replaced Michael Schumacher on Benetton #5 at Italy and Portugal GP 1994. At beginning of 1994 he had already driven a Benetton, but it was #6. In the same year, he replaced Andrea De Cesaris on Sauber at Japan and Australia GP.
  • Lamberto Leoni drove Surtees at Italy GP 1977 (DNQ)
  • Lella Lombardi drove March at Brazil GP 1976
  • Ricardo Londono drove Ensign at Brazil GP 1981 (DNQ) (more details about him on 8W)
  • Brett Lunger drove an Ensign at Usa East GP 1978
  • Damien Magee drove a Brabham at France GP 1976 (DNQ)
  • Jan Magnussen replaced Mika Hakkinen on McLaren at Pacific GP 1995
  • Nigel Mansell raced 2 GPs on McLaren, San Marino and Spain 1995.
  • Tarso Marques replaced Giancarlo Fisichella on Minardi at Brazil and Argentina GP 1996
  • Pierluigi Martini replaced Ayrton Senna (!) on Toleman at Italy GP 1984 (DNQ)
  • Arturo Merzario drove a Shadow at Austria GP 1977
  • Stefano Modena replaced Riccardo Patrese on Brabham at Australia 1987
  • Gianni Morbidelli replaced Emanuele Pirro (IIRC, he was ill) on BMS Dallara at USA and Brazil GP 1990. In the same year, he replaced Paolo Barilla on Minardi at Japan and Australia GP. As already mentioned, he replaced Alain Prost on Ferrari at Australia GP 1991.
  • Andrea Montermini replaced Roland Ratzenberger after his death on Simtek at Spain GP (he crashed in practice)
  • Roberto Moreno replaced Mansell on Lotus at Netherlands 1982, then he replaced Fabre on AGS at Japan and Australia GP 1987. In 1990, he replaced on Benetton Alessandro Nannini after his crash, again at Japan and Australia GP. In 1991 he replaced Michael Schumacher on Jordan at Italy and Portugal GP and Gianni Morbidelli on Minardi at Australia GP.
  • Jac Nellemann drove a Brabham at Sweden GP 1976 (DNQ)
  • Patrick Neve drove a Brabham at Belgium GP 1976 and an Ensign at France GP 1976
  • Jackie Oliver drove a Shadow at Sweden GP 1977
  • Danny Ongais drove Penske at Usa East and Canada GP 1977. In 1978 he drove Ensign at Argentina and Brazil GP and Shadow at USA West GP (DNpQ)
  • Jonathan Palmer drove third Williams at Europe GP 1983
  • Riccardo Patrese replaced Mansell (injuried) on Williams at Australia GP 1987. It was his first GP on Williams, he went on until 1992.
  • Larry Perkins drove BRM at Brazil and South Africa GP 1977
  • Ronnie Peterson drove Lotus at Brazil GP 1976, then he moved to March
  • Nelson Piquet drove Ensign at Germany GP 1978; then he raced Austria, Netherlands and Italy GP o McLaren-BS and Canada GP on official Brabham.
  • Bobby Rahal drove second Wold at USA East and Canada GP 1978
  • Pierre-Henri Raphanel replaced Yannick Dalmas and Aguri Suzuki on Lola Larrousse at Australia GP 1988 (DNQ).
  • Carlos Reutemann drove third Ferrari at Italy GP 1976
  • Alex Dias Ribeiro drove an Hesketh at USA East GP 1976. In 1979 he drove second Copersucar at Canada and USA East GP (and GP Dino Ferrari, a non-world championship GP)
  • Ricardo Rosset drove Lola at Australian GP 1997 (DNQ)
  • Mika Salo replaced Johhny Herbert and Eric Bernard on Lotus at Japan and Australia GP 1994. The he replaced Michael Schumacher on Ferrari in 1999, but it was an eight-off, so it shouldn't be listed here!
  • Stephane Sarrazin replaced Luca Badoer on Minardi at Brazil GP 1991
  • Takuma Sato replaced Jacques Villeneuve on BAR at Japan GP 2003
  • Ian Scheckter drove Tyrrell at South Africa GP 1976
  • Domenico (Mimmo) Schiattarella replaced Jean-Marc Gounon on second Simtek at Europe and Australia GP 1994
  • Jean Louis Schlesser drove second March RAM at France GP 1983 and - as already mentioned - he replaced Mansell on Williams at Italy 1988.
  • Bernd Schneider replaced Alex Caffi, injuried, on Arrows at USA and Spain (DNQ) GP 1990
  • Vincenzo Sospiri drove Lola at Australian GP 1997 (DNQ)
  • Stephen South replaced Alain Prost (injuried, IIRC) on McLaren at Long Beach 1980 (DNQ)
  • Rolf Stommelen drove third Brabham at Germany GP 1976, an Hesketh at Netherlands GP 1976 (as mentioned); at Italy GP 1976 he replaced Carlos Reutemann on official Brabham
  • Philippe Streiff drove third Renault at Portugal GP 1984
  • Hans Stuck raced South Africa GP 1977 on March, before he replaced Carlos Pace (died) on official Brabham
  • Aguri Suzuki replaced Yannick Dalmas on Lola Larrousse at Japan GP 1988. He also replaced Eddie Irvine on Jordan at Pacific GP 1994.
  • Toshio Suzuki replaced Philippe Alliot on Larrousse at Japan and Australia GP 1993
  • Noritake Takahara drove Surtees at Japan GP 1976 and Kojima at Japan GP 1977
  • Kunimitsu Takahashi drove Tyrrell at Japan GP 1977
  • Patrick Tambay drove a Surtees at France GP 1977 (DNQ). In 1982 he should have been Arrows first driver, but he retired after driver strike in practice at South Africa GP (the first one).
  • Gabriele Tarquini drove second Osella at San Marino 1987. He also replaced Ukyo Katayama on Tyrrell at Europe GP 1995.
  • Mike Thackwell replaced Jochen Mass on Arrows at Netherlands GP 1980 (DNQ), then he drove third Tyrrell at Canada (DNS) and USA East GP (DNQ) 1980. Later, he replaced Jonathan Palmer on second RAM at Canada 1984 and Stefan Bellof on Tyrrell at Germany 1984 (DNQ).
  • Tony Trimmer drove McLaren at Great Britain GP 1978 (DNQ)
  • Gilles Villeneuve drove McLaren at Great Britain GP 1977 and some GP later he replaced Niki Lauda on Ferrari at Canada and Japan GP (in Canada he was supposed to be third driver, but Lauda retired before doing any single lap)
  • Jacques Villeneuve senior replaced Siegfried Stohr on Arrows at Canada and Las Vegas 1981; then he replaced Eliseo Salazar on March RAM at Canada 1983. He never qualified.
  • Karl Wendlinger replaced Ivan Capelli on Leyton House at Japan and Australia GP 1991
  • Mike Wilds drove a Shadow at Great Britain GP 1976 (DNQ)
  • Desiré Wilson drove a private Williams at Great Britain 1980 (DNQ).
  • Manfred Winkelhock replaced Jochen Mass on Arrows at Italy GP 1980 (DNQ); then he replaced Teo Fabi on Brabham at Portugal GP 1984, because Fabi had to go back home for his father's death.
  • Emilio Zapico drove a Williams at Spain 1976 (DNQ)
  • Ricardo Zonta replaced Heinz-Harald Frentzen on Jordan at Canada ad Germany GP 2001
  • Renzo Zorzi drove a Williams at Brazil 1976
  • Ricardo Zunino replaced Niki Lauda on Brabham at Canada and USA East GP 1979. Then he replaced Kevin Cogan at Brazil and Argentina GP 1981 and he was replaced by Michele Alboreto for all remaining GPs.
Ciao,
Guido

#27 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 15:48

I don't know about any of the others, but wasn't Ronnie Peterson's drive at Brazil 1976 the last of a long sequence from 1973, rather than a one-off; afterwards he and Lotus parted company by mutual agreement.

And Lella Lombardi at Brazil 1976 followed a full season in 1975, but she was replaced by Peterson at March after that due to their sponsor, Count Zanon, buying the seat and moving her to F5000 IIRC.

(Robin Herd never believed Lella when she said there was something wrong with the car, but when Ronnie said the same they found the tub was cracked.)

PWM

#28 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 22:55

Macca,
As I tried to explain, I consider one-off only with reference to a single season, because I did a semiautomatic job. Most of them are really one-off or two-off, but you are right, there are more than one case like Peterson: Sato, Arnoux, Piquet, Patrese, ...
Other drivers had one-off but they were test driver fot the same team after and before that GP (i.e. Larini on Ferrari, in both cases).
This is simply a list, then it must be read in the right way :)

Ciao,
Guido

#29 David Hyland

David Hyland

• 289 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 00:39

Originally posted by Twin Window
Jacky Ickx had two one-offs in 1973; for McLaren at the Nurburgring, and for Frank Williams at Watkins Glen. I suppose you could argue it was three, as he drove for Ferrari at Monza, having previously quit the team after the British GP...

Actually, it was an interesting sequence of races for Ickx. From the 1973 German GP to the 1974 Argentine GP, Jacky's participation in WDC events went like this:
73 German GP:	McLaren

73 Austrian GP:  did not participate

73 Italian GP:   Ferrari

73 Canadian GP:  did not participate

73 US GP:		Williams (Iso Marlboro)

74 Argentine GP: Lotus
So, in the space of 6 WDC events, Ickx drove for McLaren, Ferrari, Williams and Lotus - the teams who between them would win (OTTOMH without looking it up) 80(?)% of the WDC events for the next 20 years (i.e. up until the rise of Schumacher/Benetton in 1994). AFAIK, the only other driver who has driven for all 4 of these teams in WDC events is Nigel Mansell.

It reminds me of Roberto Moreno in CART/Champcar a few years ago - he drove for a different team at almost every race. IIRC, at one point he was second in the championship, but didn't have a permanent drive!

#30 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 00:49

Actually, it was an interesting sequence of races for Ickx. From the 1973 German GP to the 1974 Argentine GP, Jacky's participation in WDC events went like this:

So, in the space of 6 WDC events, Ickx drove for McLaren, Ferrari, Williams and Lotus - the teams who between them would win (OTTOMH without looking it up) 80(?)% of the WDC events for the next 20 years (i.e. up until the rise of Schumacher/Benetton in 1994). AFAIK, the only other driver who has driven for all 4 of these teams in WDC events is Nigel Mansell.

That's a great shout, David, and one which hadn't dawned on me...!

Regards,

TW

#31 cm50

cm50

• 63 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 02:55

Didnt Bruce MClaren drive a one off or maybe two for Dan Gurney in the 4 cylinder CC powered Eagle.

#32 Mac Lark

Mac Lark

• 744 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 04:29

No, only with Weslake V12

#33 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 06:46

Does David Purley's half a parade lap at Brands in the Connew count as a one-off? Or maybe just a half-off?

#34 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 07:57

Originally posted by cm50
Didnt Bruce McLaren drive a one off or maybe two for Dan Gurney in the 4 cylinder C-C powered Eagle.

And how many did Richie Ginther drive?

#35 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 09:55

Ginther - only raced in the 1967 RoC at Brands (2nd in both the 10-lap heats, retired near the end of the 40-lap final with no brakes), then DNQ for Monaco and retired from driving.

But Bondurant raced the Eagle in the USA and Mexico 1966, and Scarfiotti at Monza 1967.

Eppie Weitzes

Al Pease

Moises Solana

and of course Peter Broeker

PWM

#36 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 13:25

Pedro Rodriguez started the 1969 season in Tim Parnell's old BRM P126 but was called in to join Ferrari halfway the season and drove the second car at Silverstone. Later on he replaced Tino Brambilla in the only Ferrari at Monza (Brambilla crashed with a motorcycle a few days prior to first practice at Monza, did a couple of laps but decided to hand over to Pedro as he had too much pain). He ran the last 3 GP's in a Ferrari under the NART banner.
Pedro also replaced Jim Clark at Reims in 1966 (Clark hit a bird at full speed and had an eye injury).
He also drove for Lotus in the US and Mexican GP in 1966, just like he did in 1963.
In Mexico 1964, he drove the 3d Ferrari (NART, white - blue colors).

#37 John B

John B

• 7,963 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 17:02

Hector Rebaque returned to Brabham for a non-title race at Brands in 1983....Bernie got heckled a bit for bringing him back.

Not to hijack the topic, but surely Mario last year at Indy has to be one of the more spectacular "one-offs" (a somewhat unfortunate choice of words!)

#38 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 20:44

It reminds me of Roberto Moreno in CART/Champcar a few years ago - he drove for a different team at almost every race. IIRC, at one point he was second in the championship, but didn't have a permanent drive!

Don't forget Jacky also drove for Brabham too - so that's all five of the top constructors as far as wins are concerned!

(Well, not strictly so as it wasn't WGPE but Frank Williams (Racing Cars) and Wolf-Williams...)

#39 marat

marat

• 311 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 21:52

Phil Hill drove an Eagle at the 1966 Italian GP (DNQ).

Advertisement

#40 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,966 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 22:31

silvio moser, well 2 actually, 1968 dutch(he finished 5th) and british gps in a brabham repco, but i just had to toss him in there too.....

#41 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,509 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 22:49

Originally posted by Macca
Ginther - only raced in the 1967 RoC at Brands (2nd in both the 10-lap heats, retired near the end of the 40-lap final with no brakes), then DNQ for Monaco and retired from driving.

PWM

he was third in heat 1 and retired with steering problems in the final.

#42 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,264 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 23:45

Originally posted by marat
Phil Hill drove an Eagle at the 1966 Italian GP (DNQ).

I might have been thinking of that one too...

Roger Penske and Tim Mayer?

#43 John B

John B

• 7,963 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 13:59

Did Ferrari run just a single car at Spain 1989 after Mansell got banned? I can't remember any "guest" drivers there...

#44 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 14:09

Originally posted by John B
Did Ferrari run just a single car at Spain 1989 after Mansell got banned? I can't remember any "guest" drivers there...

Yes, they didn't replace him nor they didn't replace Berger after his crash at Imola, some months before, even if Larini was ready to drive in Mexico.

Ciao,
Guido

#45 SEdward

SEdward

• 840 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 14:55

Not F1, but JYS had a one-off for Ferrari in the 1967 BOAC 500 Miles in a 330 P4. I think that it was Amon's doing and he filled the seat left empty by Bandini's death in Monaco.

I think that this was the only occasion when JYS drove a Ferrari in anger, but someone in this forum will probably put me straight... Unless I am mistaken, they finished second behind the Chaparral.

Edward.

#46 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,769 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 20:16

JYS and Andy Buchanan won the 1966 12-hour race at Surfers' Paradise driving the Scuderia Veloce Ferrari LM250.

#47 St.Hubbins

St.Hubbins

• 119 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 16:28

Originally posted by gdecarli
[*]Jackie Oliver drove a Shadow at Sweden GP 1977

And also made a one off appearence for BRM at Brands Hatch for the British GP in 1972. At the time he was testing for Shadow's Can-Am project.

#48 Macca

Macca

• 3,728 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 11:18

I think that this was the only occasion when JYS drove a Ferrari in anger, but someone in this forum will probably put me straight... Unless I am mistaken, they finished second behind the Chaparral.

JYS and Graham Hill drove a Ferrari 365P or P2 at the Nurburg 1000k in 1965.

PWM

#49 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 12:30

From memory, I can think of:
van Lennep (Surtees, 1971)
Flinterman (dutch GP 1956?)
Pon (Porsche, dutch GP)
Heyer (ATS, Germany 1977)

#50 toprpm

toprpm

• 57 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 17:50

Originally posted by Macca

JYS and Graham Hill drove a Ferrari 365P or P2 at the Nurburg 1000k in 1965.

PWM

I believe that Jackie and Graham drove 275P2 that weekend; am I right?