Photo

Curse TSN here

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#1 fumes

fumes

• 358 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 17:09

If you know what TSN is, you know what I'm talking about. Damn them.

Advertisement

#2 Davebo

Davebo

• 2,017 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 17:13

Damn them to hell... :p

CBC as well - showing bowling during the Canadian GP qualifying... :down:

#3 jman

jman

• 7 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 17:58

The anticipation of experiencing Vic on tape delay is killing me!

#4 rce

rce

• 2,003 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 17:58

While you're at it - damn the CRTC, their damn black out rules has caused a beautiful (but very wasteful) black screen on Speed Channel for the last hour...bloody brilliant if you ask me. No Canadian channel airing the live coverage of Canadian Grand Prix qualifying so let's go ahead and black out the only channel that is!! Smart move. :rolleyes: Yeah - taped version this afternoon on TSN.

#5 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,935 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 19:10

While I enjoyed pre-practice shows and live practices, pre-qual shows and live quals and tomorrow a pre-race show and a live race on Reseau Des Sports. :p :wave:

Some people wants to know why Quebec episodically wants to secede, there you have it. The Grand Prix du Canada isn't canadian enough, just like Montreal Canadien isn't a canadian hockey team. ; well according to the Toronto Sports Network anyway.. Since we don't care much about Toronto either, we migh as well part ways.;)

#6 Rene

Rene

• 6,926 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 19:18

Originally posted by fumes

Could not have said it better myself! :mad:

#7 Dudley

Dudley

• 9,248 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 20:46

Ditto ITV, 7 hours late. It's insane that because I'm working tomorrow I can't even see qualifying.

That said, my boss says I can leave 30mins early to catch the F1 start tomorrow

#8 oldtimer

oldtimer

• 1,291 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 23:15

Without TSN, I wouldn't see any F1 racing, tape delayed or otherwise. So, for me, its thanks TSN. And Vic Rauter may not be a racing nut, but at least he is enthusiastic, which is more than some sportscasters.

I still enjoy the tape delayed broadcast - I simply don't visit AtlasF1 till its over. :)

And don't forget the business side of it all. The TSN broadcast was delayed by the European soccer championship (major fans in Canada), and the CBC could no longer afford to bid for their national F1 race, seeing as they are largely supported by diminishing government monies.

#9 Adam2jz

Adam2jz

• 69 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 01:02

Originally posted by fumes

Yes screw 'em. I went out to play ball instead.

Btw, is SpeedTV blacking out the race as well? I'd hate to watch the race without sound.

#10 Jhope

Jhope

• 9,440 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 01:27

If I hear John Watson saying "This team is a conservative team, so I expect them to be on a 2 stopper" one more time, I'm gonna blow a fuse! :eek: The man must have said that about 4 or 5 of the teams!

#11 confucius

confucius

• 2,568 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 01:32

Awwwwwwwwwwww poor diddums. You guys get a delayed telecast. Some countries have to make do with a 10 minute "re cap" of qualifying. :(

#12 Rene

Rene

• 6,926 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 02:13

Originally posted by confucius
Awwwwwwwwwwww poor diddums. You guys get a delayed telecast. Some countries have to make do with a 10 minute "re cap" of qualifying. :(

Its sad when the worst broadcast of the year is our own Grand Prix! :mad:

#13 rce

rce

• 2,003 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 02:15

Originally posted by Rene

Exactly.

#14 alesifan46

alesifan46

• 899 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 02:26

GeeeeeeeeZUZ....the media GURU'S in Canada have the audacity to say that F1 viewership is DOWN...especially with VILLY out of his seat!!....M'fers just don't get it do they!!!!!!!..Check out the live F1 event in Montreal..SOLD OUT!!!.... :clap: ..unless they have SELL-OUT confused with LYNCH-MOB for DavidRichards??? :eek: :eek: ....anyways..be happy..we'll probably get the CHAMP race LIVE cuz it's being held at the CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE....that'd be TARRANNA.... :smoking:

#15 confucius

confucius

• 2,568 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 03:34

Oh...sorry I didn't realise TSN was Canadian. :blush:

In that case, yes it's disgraceful. I'm glad Chn 10 do a great job of the Oz GP weekend.

#16 Andy

Andy

• 3,483 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 04:41

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't TSN and CTV owned by the same Co.?? I know the past few years the Canadian GP has been aired on CTV instead of TSN, but with the TSN folks hosting it. So when I couldn't find live qualifying on TSN or Speed today I switched over to CTV... They were playing some "Canadian Wildlife" documentry!!! On top fo this, Sportsnet (Also owned by the same folks) was showing a CASCAR race on one of their channels and Sport Fishing on another! :

How about we move the ****in GP to Burlington, Vermont - THEN we'd probably get live coverage!!! :mad:

#17 RJL

RJL

• 3,173 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 07:36

I've been thinking this fer years. :up:

#18 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,641 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 11:45

i find it pretty hard to swallow how they treat something as huge as f1 in the uk and it seems canada.
here the 2 major channels are ESPN and Star Sports. both work together. ive seen times when they switch qualifying to ESPN for a cricket match or a big ticket event. but i cant recall it ever being put on delay even..strange.

#19 SCHUEYFAN

SCHUEYFAN

• 500 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 11:53

LONG LIVE BLACK MARKET SATELLITE DISHES! IT'S TIMES LIKE THIS THAT MAKE YOU REALLY HATE THE CRTC AND MAKE YOU ENJOY ALL THE RANGE OF PROGRAMMING OFFERED BY THE OPEN MARKET. :down: :down:

Advertisement

#20 Jhope

Jhope

• 9,440 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 14:08

Originally posted by SCHUEYFAN
LONG LIVE BLACK MARKET SATELLITE DISHES! IT'S TIMES LIKE THIS THAT MAKE YOU REALLY HATE THE CRTC AND MAKE YOU ENJOY ALL THE RANGE OF PROGRAMMING OFFERED BY THE OPEN MARKET. :down: :down:

:rotfl: rock n roll! :up:

#21 alesifan46

alesifan46

• 899 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 20:30

B-B-B-But..uhhhhhh...doesn't the GOVERNMENT know what is BEST for us "serf's" :mad: :mad:
I'm sure they would let us HAVE ALL THIS OTHER PROGRAMMING LIVE....if they thought it was in OUR BEST INTERESTS!!... :smoking: I'm sure glad they are there to PROTECT US FROM OURSELVES!!! :kiss:

#22 HappyDude

HappyDude

• 1,682 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 23:06

@#%#!& TSN.

Mostly I just hate Vic Rauter, it's been so long since I heard him that I forgot what a git he is. I hate his kind of announcer - you know, the type who feels that it's his job to *make* whatever is happening in front of him exciting, through the sheer power of his will and irritating voice. Watson called him on it a few times though, but not enough. Near the end I think Ralph was doing his last stop and Vic gets all excited.. "WILL Ralph Schumacher be able to get out in front of his brother?!?!?!?"... and Watson comes out and says "Of course he won't." Would have been better if he'd added "you condescending dork".

Thank God for Speed and Varsha, Hobbs and Matchet. I really have to hand it to Speed Channel - I thought it was all downhill when Fox bought out Speedvision, but they've really done a first-class job of F1 coverage. TSN should watch a few broadcasts and learn.

#23 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 23:17

Is TSN so stupid as not to realise that Canada is on the World scene, or they just are so self centered that they just don't give a damn? Last year I have joint some posters, and sent a complaint to the regulatory board about low quality of a delayed broadcast. Apparently a very smooth and polished answer I obtained had supplied an explanation, that the only people who decide on broadcast (style and timing) is a producer and management of TSN.

It's sad that Bernie E. cares, so it seems, only about a paycheck, rather than quality of partners he chooses. Maybe a written campain to all team managers to put pressure on him to rectify that matter would help...(?)

#24 Jack Rabbit

Jack Rabbit

• 1,091 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 23:29

I know its too late, but French CBC had it all on, and alot fewer commercials during the race too.

#25 Rene

Rene

• 6,926 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 23:34

Worst race coverage ever.....we have Rubens actually battling MS...and who does this director focus on???? Ralf?!!?!

For ****s sake :down:

#26 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,798 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 23:37

Absolute **** commentary. i could have SWORN i heard an old CART commentator in there. God they were ****. ANY **** could have guesed that Williams were NOT on a 2 stopper ... IDIOTS.

God it was awful, just so bad ... they completely FAILED to read the race, had NFI that by lap 12 MS was looking VERY, VERY good ... idiots.

God help us, do we have these tools again for Indy??

#27 Gage

Gage

• 20 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 23:51

Vic Rauter should stick to live curling coverage... I think every F1 Racing fan in Canada knows more about what was going on than him. Maybe he does it for free so TSN doesn't have to pay for the ITV commentary. I ended up changing to the French Channel (RDS) and it was a much better race. (I even got to brush up on my french!). I don't think there will be a blackout for the USGP on Speedvision.

#28 TedN

TedN

• 234 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 00:24

If you think this weekend was bad, take a look at next weekend's schedule according to these TV listings. :

Sunday June 20
12:30P-3:00 SPEED Formula One Grand Prix of the United States, Indianapolis, IN, live (blackout: Quebec)

11:00P-1:00A TSN Formula One Grand Prix of United States, Indianapolis, IN, same day

Monday June 21
12:30P-2:30 TSN Champ Car World Series, Portland, OR, June 20/04

TSN tape delaying F1 race at Indy and Champ Car at Portland race due to U.S. Open golf then Euro 2004 coverage. Wanna bet the SPEED coverage of the F1 race on Sunday in Canada will be blacked out again like this weekend?

Ted

#29 Balzz

Balzz

• 17 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 00:28

Absolutely ridiculous that anyone on TSN thinks Vic Rauter is a better commentator than Martin Brundle...is this a permanent change???? This is far worse than TSN using Speed's feed.

#30 rce

rce

• 2,003 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 00:37

I wasn't that happy with Vic and John and the occasional Gerald...so be happy that it was just a one-off...all for the Canadian GP. From my understanding, next weekend we have Speed handling the feed to the world - does that mean it will be Varsha, Matchett & Hobbs calling the 'plays'? I'm not sure, but they're much more 'livelier' that TSN. TSN usually (and will again with the return to Europe) uses the ITV feed and James & Martin....I missed those two today...that's how bad Vic & John were.

And in all fairness to Vic, there were a couple of times where he caught John making mistakes.

All I know is I'm not around in tv land next weekend, so I'll just catch the Speed Channel repeat at 9:00pm.

But lord TSN has got to get their F1 act together. It's pathetic. I know more about the freakin' sport than Vic.

#31 umapathypon

umapathypon

• 2,741 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 07:12

Originally posted by Alfisti
Absolute **** commentary. i could have SWORN i heard an old CART commentator in there. God they were ****. ANY **** could have guesed that Williams were NOT on a 2 stopper ... IDIOTS.

God it was awful, just so bad ... they completely FAILED to read the race, had NFI that by lap 12 MS was looking VERY, VERY good ... idiots.

You should have heard the commentators on star sports.Just one word - pathetic.It's just very very difficult to sit through such enormous stupid crap coming out of their mouths.

#32 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,641 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 10:36

Originally posted by umapathypon
You should have heard the commentators on star sports.Just one word - pathetic.It's just very very difficult to sit through such enormous stupid crap coming out of their mouths.

oh man. steve slater is such an idiot.. i mean Jesus... and the other stupid woman they have up front doin pre-race and post race???
she isnt pretty and she dosent know racing. so why she there??

and the feed in itself sucked. didnt see the Massa crash at all. just him hitting the tyres. thats it. and they cut away from Schum-Rub once or twice too. really irritating.

#33 umapathypon

umapathypon

• 2,741 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 11:25

Originally posted by skinnylizard

oh man. steve slater is such an idiot.. i mean Jesus... and the other stupid woman they have up front doin pre-race and post race???

and the feed in itself sucked. didnt see the Massa crash at all. just him hitting the tyres. thats it. and they cut away from Schum-Rub once or twice too. really irritating.

Steve Slater and his understanding of the pit strategies are as far removed from common sense and reality as they can ever be.Seriously,how can anyone be such an idiot?

#34 KinetiK

KinetiK

• 3,855 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 13:25

Originally posted by Alfisti

Vic Rauter was a LOT better than he usually is.......... that's not saying much is it?

#35 rce

rce

• 2,003 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 13:59

I've decided that Canada needs it's own version of Speed Channel - have you seen the line up for next weekend...every time there's an F1 car on track they're going to be live. The Friday practice sessions are going to be aired live. On Saturday they are airing the morning practice sessions and then the qualifying - live and then Sunday the race live. Shows they know what they're doing when it comes to their 'home' race - unlike TSN. "Canada's Sports Leader" not if you're a racing fan. :rolleyes:

#36 Rene

Rene

• 6,926 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 14:04

Originally posted by KinetiK

Vic Rauter was a LOT better than he usually is.......... that's not saying much is it?

I agree, I had no problem with Vic this time, it was the terrible directing which got me all twisted up!

#37 RRT1963

RRT1963

• 549 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 15:54

I noticed that TSN isn't show either qualifying or the race live.
They are being pre-empted by the US Open and Euro 2004.
Will Canadians that subscribe to Speed TV be able to watch it live or will BellGlobe Media use their draconian monopolistic powers to black out the race?
If so I'll have to fire off another snotty email to TSN.

#38 TedN

TedN

• 234 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 16:06

See TV listings here

My understanding is that, unlike this past weekend with the Canadian GP, the U.S. GP coverage on SPEED will NOT be blacked out in Canada, except for Quebec.

Fingers crossed.

Ted

#39 Yelnats

Yelnats

• 2,026 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 22:48

My buddy's Black Market Satellite was down (again!) during both the race and qualifying. This makes even Starchoise look good!

Advertisement

#40 StephenJK

StephenJK

• 116 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 23:19

For anyone with Bell ExpressVue, the Canadian Grand Prix was broadcast on TSN and Speed. I taped the race, having a prior commitment to take the family to the latest Harry Potter movie! How's that for being confused! I chose TSN over Speed because the schedule showed that TSN had a pre-race show of the qualifications, etc.

Normally, if watching live, I'll flip between the two when the commercials are on. Speed seem to overdo it just a bit. On the other hand, John Watson on TSN didn't seem to know the difference between JB and TS, "Button's in the pits for a second time", "No, John, that's Sato".

If it's any consolation, just remember this.... If you have low expectations, you can never be disappointed.

#41 The First MH

The First MH

• 9,958 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 02:31

Originally posted by TedN
See TV listings here

My understanding is that, unlike this past weekend with the Canadian GP, the U.S. GP coverage on SPEED will NOT be blacked out in Canada, except for Quebec.

Fingers crossed.

Ted

Fingers crossed :wave:

#42 Rene

Rene

• 6,926 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 03:29

Speed was not blacked out last year for the US GP, and it was for the Canadian GP....so I imagine it will be the same this year....so no worries!! :up: ;)

#43 The Vulcan

The Vulcan

• 1,109 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 07:19

..... you mean Chris Goodwin and Steve Slater! Yeah, Steve does get overly excited at times :D

#44 The Vulcan

The Vulcan

• 1,109 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 07:24

Originally posted by skinnylizard
... and the other stupid woman they have up front doin pre-race and post race???

...... you mean Colette Wong? She is probably there to provide some new dimensions (???) to the coverage. Anyway, give her a break, she is probably just a rookie trying her best to impress.
Looking at what the Canadians are facing, we should be at least grateful that we do get live feeds from Star Sports (pre-qualifying, qualifying and race day)!!

#45 umapathypon

umapathypon

• 2,741 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 08:45

Originally posted by The Vulcan

..... you mean Chris Goodwin and Steve Slater! Yeah, Steve does get overly excited at times :D

Overly excited is an understatement.He is just clueless.His 700 gear changes per lap at Monaco is probably the best example of just how much of an idiot he is.

#46 The First MH

The First MH

• 9,958 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 11:07

His 700 gear changes per lap at Monaco is probably the best example of just how much of an idiot he is.

:lol: :up:

#47 Newfie

Newfie

• 428 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 02:30

I cant wait to watch the USGP at 12:30 am, 10 hours after it takes place. Thank you very much TSN Posted Image

#48 The First MH

The First MH

• 9,958 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 02:31

Originally posted by Newfie
Posted Image

:rotfl: :up:

#49 oldtimer

oldtimer

• 1,291 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 04:25

Newfie, you can tune into the CBC French station for a live broadcast.

#50 Rene

Rene

• 6,926 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 04:50

Originally posted by Newfie
I cant wait to watch the USGP at 12:30 am, 10 hours after it takes place. Thank you very much TSN Posted Image

Speed should not be blacked out in Canada....was practice today blocked out? If so call your cable company and complain!!! :mad: