Photo

Daft names in motorsport

• Please log in to reply
582 replies to this topic

#51 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 04 September 2001 - 07:15

I never actually raced at Lakeside in Queensland, although I was entered as relief driver in a BMW touring car there in 1976 and did more than half the practice sessions. Does that count?

But I never ran at Lakeland Hillclimb.

Advertisement

#52 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,203 posts

Posted 04 September 2001 - 10:12

David M,

Didn't he also have a brother called Ken Silverstone ? IIRC both raced in B class F3 and one of them got banned for life after a punch up in the paddock after a race.

Chris

#53 Flying Panda

Flying Panda

• 5,053 posts

Posted 04 September 2001 - 11:15

How about Unpronaunceable F1 names?

Here we go then, the fisrt, and only Thai driver,Prince Birabongse Bhanudej Bhanubandh , yes, he was a real prince,
Jyrki Jarvilehto (JJ Lehto),

pronounce those!

And one thats has a story behind it -
Emerson Newton-John , as you may have guessed, yes he is a relative to the Movie star and singer Olivia Newton-John, (nephew/aunt), and he was ironically enough named after Emerson Fittipaldi (Emerson Shaved-C*nt??)

Emmo is currently racing in the Australian Formula Holden championship (F3000), but unfortunatly has had a horrible season, he started with argueably the best team on the grid (NRC Racing), but a big crash in practice at the Old Adelaide street circuit left him with 2 DNS's, and then the team, running low on money, sold all their Formula Holden gear, and put all the resources on their V8 supercar operation, Ralt Aust.(who in previous years have been ultra succesfull in Formual Holden) purchased the gear, he missed one round (having no drive), did one round with Ralt, missed one more round (not sure why, Ralt low on cash too I think), and has finally scored a drive for the rest of the season at the Hocking Motorsport operation, a very International team now - their drivers Emerson Newton-John (Australian-American, racing under the american flag), Akihiro Asai (Or Aki, as he his more commonly know, Japan), Chris Hocking (Australia) and Christian Murchison (Australian-Singaporee, racing for Singapore).
With the great international driver getting back into the section, we can, hopefully see Formula Holden like is was a few years ago...

#54 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 04 September 2001 - 14:02

That's Emerson Newton-John and Emerson Fittipaldi.

Another I just remembered, the lady who used to be in charge of the Hawaiin Tropic girls at race meetings (what a job!) was christened Misty and she married a man named Mr Sprinkle. So she became Misty Sprinkle.

She is now, I believe, Mrs Derek Bell, or Misty Bell. Still has a nice ring to it :lol: but doesn't quite raise the same smile.

#55 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,514 posts

Posted 04 September 2001 - 14:04

Originally posted by David McKinney
There was a British driver a few years ago called (IIRC) Phil Silverstone, who frequently raced at you know where

Thruxton??:) :) :p :p

#56 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 04 September 2001 - 15:13

Akahiro Asai is, I believe, the correct name of Newton-John's Japanese team mate.

#57 FEV

FEV

• 909 posts

Posted 04 September 2001 - 19:56

I had not thought about it, but Jenson Button does sound strange to me. Is Jenson a current first name in english speaking countries ?

About drivers who raced on a track having the same name as them, there is Mark Martin who already won races in Martinsville !

#58 birdie

birdie

• 572 posts

Posted 04 September 2001 - 23:00

Is Jenson a current first name in english speaking countries ?

Not unheard of but nowhere near common

#59 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 2,099 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 01:50

This is one which will only mean anything to Australian residents. Barry Lake mentioned Emerson Fittpaldi earlier, which reminded me of that appalling fellow Ron (Wonn) Casey of Channel 7 Sydney. In 1976, Channel 7 showed the Japanese Grand Prix live from Mt. Fuji. At some point or other I recall Wonn Casey interviewing a Brazilian Grand Prix driver who he presumably held in some awe because he addressed him with the formal term of "Mr." Sadly, it went downhill from there because Wonn kinda got the surname wrong. It came out as "Mr. Emerpani."

Often, when Emmo's name comes up, I still chuckle at that 25 years on. :lol: :lol:

Vanwall.

Advertisement

#60 Flying Panda

Flying Panda

• 5,053 posts

Posted 05 September 2001 - 10:25

Originally posted by fines
Akahiro Asai is, I believe, the correct name of Newton-John's Japanese team mate.

Yes it is, Aki his his 'pet name'

#61 Pieter

Pieter

• 74 posts

Posted 07 September 2001 - 06:48

It weren't only driver with unusual names.
What to think about KKK turbochargers in F1 during the 80s.
Or the dampers from White Power used by Benetton mid 90s.

#62 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,811 posts

Posted 07 September 2001 - 08:33

Originally posted by Pieter

Yes, a bit unforutate to say the least. KKK are just the the first characters of the 3 names, White Power changed its name to WP...

#63 FLB

FLB

• 1,931 posts

Posted 07 September 2001 - 13:31

Speaking of names that don't translate very well, what about Brazilian touring car driver Caca Bueno? :lol: :p :eek:

Is that his real name?

#64 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 07 September 2001 - 15:44

Originally posted by Pieter

That's Kühnle, Kopp & Kausch to you and me.;)

#65 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,514 posts

Posted 30 April 2002 - 12:59

Stefan: you've been hiding one of the best names deep in your F2 Register site! In the 1965 Eifelrennen, I came across the wonderfully-named WILLY VROOMEN, who posted a very early retirement in a Lova-DKW 2-stroke! Vroomen? I don't think so!! More like putten, putten, spitten, bangen!! :lol: :lol:

#66 Gil Bouffard

Gil Bouffard

• 597 posts

Posted 30 April 2002 - 18:26

There was a British Formula Ford mechanic whose nickname was "Puddy." Family name? Pullen...

Bad, Bad, Bad..I'm going to bed now....

Gil

#67 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,484 posts

Posted 30 April 2002 - 19:53

Never forget screwed up names - of which the Reims organisers generally did best, such as 'Igor Bulb' instead of Ivor Bueb - 'Steam Motors' as a phonetic screw-up of 'Team Lotus' - and then there's German ZDF TV's rendition of 'Brass Heldorf' for...well, who do you think it was for....in the 1957 German GP????

DCN

#68 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 936 posts

Posted 30 April 2002 - 20:00

It seems Mika Salo's name means various things in various languages! In Hungarian Salo (written: Szálló) means: 'flying' or even 'Hotel' :lol:

#69 Ian McKean

Ian McKean

• 480 posts

Posted 30 April 2002 - 23:47

This thread has been terrific. Thanks to all for making me laugh.

I was always taken with the (knick)name of Jean Claude Andruet's co-driver - Biche. But I think it translates to doe in French rather than the obvious.

#70 Excell

Excell

• 30 posts

Posted 01 May 2002 - 12:45

My pick would be sometime F1 racer in the 70's. I don't know anything of this guy but his name (or surname to be precise) bears a tremendous resemblance to the Schumacher name...

Otto Stuppacher :lol:

#71 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,345 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 12:07

:smoking: SO that,s what happened to EJE ELGH. his nick name was
(double egg) alongwith THORKILD THYRRING an you guessed it
(double tee) they were both in F3 in the UK in 1976 , I think
Thanks for that STEFAN. we could never pronounce there names when they
first came to race. :wave: :wave: :wave:

#72 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,140 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 12:28

Dear old Mr Thyrring........ He did his best to try and run me over when I was marshalling in the pits at a British GT race in Thruxton, but missed. He was just a tad pissed off with life at that moment - I think has car had just broken.

#73 Liam

Liam

• 504 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 12:46

A poets dream this one, anyone remember Pierluigi Martini in a Minardi-Ferrari. It just rolls off the tongue.

#74 RayBo

RayBo

• 20 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 12:55

There was a football player (American) named Harry Colon

#75 Leif Snellman

Leif Snellman

• 1,078 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 14:22

Originally posted by Geza Sury
It seems Mika Salo's name means various things in various languages! In Hungarian Salo (written: Szálló) means: 'flying' or even 'Hotel' :lol:

The original meaning of "Salo" is is "Wilderness" or "Backwoods".
FYI, a fast look in the Helsinki phone directory shows that there are

806 Salo
590 Kinnunen
312 Häkkinen
95 Räikkönen
21 Rosberg
14 Järvilehto

in the metropolitan area.

and also
11 Hill
6 Schumacher
6 Williams
:)

#76 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 15:44

Originally posted by Leif Snellman
FYI, a fast look in the Helsinki phone directory shows that there are

806 Salo
590 Kinnunen
312 Häkkinen
95 Räikkönen
21 Rosberg
14 Järvilehto

in the metropolitan area.

and also
11 Hill
6 Schumacher
6 Williams
:)

So what's the name of the other 230 Finns?;)

Back on topic, I recently stumbled over an American FAtlantic driver by the name of Generoso Pope III :eek: :love: :clap: :lol:

#77 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,811 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 18:17

Originally posted by Liam
A poets dream this one, anyone remember Pierluigi Martini in a Minardi-Ferrari. It just rolls off the tongue.

Didn't Pierluigi drive a Martini in his F3 days? Or is this too good to be true?

#78 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 06:14

Didn't Martini, Minardi and Motori Moderni all get together at one time? Or is that just wishful thinking?

#79 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,895 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 06:19

Yes, that's right.... and didn't the car have Marelli ignition?  ;)

Advertisement

#80 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 07:01

And I suppose they did at some stage have problems with the Marelli Magneto on the Motori-Moderni in Martini's Minardi...

#81 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,484 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 07:49

Oh dear...this is like the famous Test cricket commentary when West Indian fast bowler Michael Holding was bowling to English batsman Peter Willey and the inevitable Brian Johnston radio commentary ran "The bowler's Holding the batsman's Willey" or when Pete Willey caught out Australian batsman Dennis Lillee from Graham Dilley's bowling when we heard "And it's out! So that's Lillee caught Willey bowled Dilley...".

DCN

#82 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,140 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 07:58

Brian Johnston was the one reason for listening to the Radio 4 Longwave cricket commentary, even when based in Germany and there was a lot of static interfering. Lovely bloke, and his howlers made it even more entertaining........

#83 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,811 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 08:12

Originally posted by Barry Lake
And I suppose they did at some stage have problems with the Marelli Magneto on the Motori-Moderni in Martini's Minardi...

Or a problem with the Pirelli tyres?

#84 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,188 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 10:21

Originally posted by fines

Back on topic, I recently stumbled over an American FAtlantic driver by the name of Generoso Pope III :eek: :love: :clap: :lol:

An interesting tidbit, Generoso Pope III's father (which of course would be Generoso Pope Jr.) was founder and publisher of the notorious U.S. tabloid The National Enquirer

When Pope III was racing in Atlantics, I recall one of the announcers on a telecast alluding to a controversial family background. It wasn't until years later that I found out about the family connection to The Enquirer.

There was a short oval track driver at Cajon Speedway, near San Diego, California, named...Gid Goins ! (and no, it wasn't an alias, his name was Gideon P Goins).

Jim Thurman

#85 Stefan Ornerdal

Stefan Ornerdal

• 578 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 12:35

... at Mugello, Monza and Misano.

Wonderful language, Italian!

How I miss Alex Zanardi interviews, "Drive-ah di car verrrry fast-ah"

Stefan

#86 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,895 posts

Posted 03 May 2002 - 21:22

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#87 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,514 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 22:31

Just spotted another in a list of Formula Atlantic results which fines has posted: the strangely-named Christian Vandal :D

#88 hil?-nice

hil?-nice

• 17 posts

Posted 17 May 2002 - 09:57

1. Baconin Borzacchini was quite named after Mikhail Bakunin, but this man was not the very founder of the Communist Party. Actually, within the 1Premire Internationale, he was the ideological enemy of Karl Marx. He is rather considered as the first true theorician of the Anarchist movement.
Back to Borzacchini, because of the Duce, he later changed legallky his first name to the rather politically correct "Umberto Mario"

2. Mademoiselle "HellŽ-Nice" was born as Mariette HŽlne Delangle. Nobody is very sure of why she had chosen this strange pseudonym, meaningless in French, which she was yet known after when she was a "Folies Bergres" dancer, prior to being a racing driver.
No relation with the town of Nice, for she was a Parisian.
Perhaps a multilingual joke, anglo-french, "elle est (she is) nice" ???
After her painful journey in Brazil 1936 (she was badly hurt in a tragic race accident which killed some spectators), she was considered as a feminist heroin there, and a lot of Brazilian mothers gave the name "HellŽ-Nice" or "HellŽnice" to their daughters. A current ministress in the Brazilian government caarries this name (try to seach "helle-nice" in the Google browser and you'll be amazed !)

3. Stefano Modena was born in Modena.

4. When "Jim" Rathmann first entered at Indianapolis, he was not yet the right age to do so. So he picked up his elder brother's license an, named James, and was to be known after him. Then, this James wanted to race too and took his younger brother's identity to be known : "Dick".
So : James Rathmann is "Dick" and Richard Rathmann is "Jim".

5. There also is a story about Lovely being called "Pete", but I do not remember it.

6. Unpronounceable in French : Harvey Postlethwaite.
Buddy Featherstonehaugh (a GP driver back to the '1930s)

7. When the Belgian crook Jean-Pierre Rosset bought the Onyx team, he sponsored it as "Moneytron".
In French, it sounds like "mon Žtron" (something like "my piece of sh*t")

That's all for today, folks !

#89 dmj

dmj

• 1,959 posts

Posted 17 May 2002 - 10:07

I believe we have to include racing-appropriate named Walt Monaco in this thread too... :)

#90 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,951 posts

Posted 17 May 2002 - 10:22

Originally posted by hilŽ-nice
7. When the Belgian crook Jean-Pierre Rosset bought the Onyx team, he sponsored it as "Moneytron".
In French, it sounds like "mon Žtron" (something like "my piece of sh*t")

Think you mean Jean Pierre van Rossem, now trying to sell cheese: http://www.frites.be...rs/20010126.htm ......

Thanks for the other info!

#91 hil?-nice

hil?-nice

• 17 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 06:54

Of course, I meant Van Rossem.
Sorry to Riccardo.

#92 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,514 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 12:42

16. Unpronounceable in French : Buddy Featherstonehaugh (a GP driver back to the '1930s)

It's actually pronounced "Fanshaw" (really!!)

And if you've ever tried to get your tongue around TP Cholmondeley-Tapper, that's pronounced "Chumley-Tapper".

#93 Drinky

Drinky

• 1,083 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 14:35

Originally posted by Vitesse2
16. Unpronounceable in French : Buddy Featherstonehaugh (a GP driver back to the '1930s)

And if you've ever tried to get your tongue around TP Cholmondeley-Tapper, that's pronounced "Chumley-Tapper".

Remember, it's written "Raymond Luxury-Yacht", but it's pronounced throat-wobbler-mangrove...;)

#94 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,895 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 17:11

Welcome back, Drinky! Have you been away stunt-driving, clowning, or both?

#95 Drinky

Drinky

• 1,083 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 18:26

Originally posted by Barry Boor
Welcome back, Drinky! Have you been away stunt-driving, clowning, or both?

Thanks. I've been around doing both, though mainly in the Paddock Club. I never knew I had made much of an impression among the eminences grises here.;)

#96 fullcourseyellow

fullcourseyellow

• 835 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 18:41

You can't be serious about this?! :confused:

#97 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,514 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 21:17

Originally posted by fullcourseyellow

You can't be serious about this?! :confused:

Absolutely serious! Mind you, Drinky isn't - that's a quote from "Monty Python's Flying Circus" :)

#98 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 05:31

Or as Kit Hesketh-Harvey would have it,
"The name's Featherstonhaugh, pronounced Festonhay, but we call it Fanshaw"

#99 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 12:15

Somehow I recall a thread here at TNF (soooome time ago) about this "Fanshaw" thing being some sort of upper-class snobbery... ????

Advertisement

#100 Rob G

Rob G

• 10,931 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 15:52

Paul Sheldon claims that this is true in his Black Book Vol. 3, but then in the separate Addenda volume, he refutes this, saying "Featherstonhaugh - pronounce as spelt !!!"