Attention everyone: how to post your images

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
440 replies to this topic

#1 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 12:40

Hi all,

If you do not have a website and you wish to post an image from your hard drive on the Bulletin Board (provided that you own the copyright or have permission, of course), please note a new and very recommended service called ImageShack.

The service allows you to upload - without registration or any fee whatsoever - any image (up to 800kb) and provides you with the appropriate link to post on the BB. It even provides you with a thumbnail option that includes details of the image size and is linked to the large image - something I encourage you to use.

The images remain stored and available for a minimum of a year since they were last viewed (that is, if an image is not viewed for at least 1 year straight, it will be removed. Every time the image is viewed, the countdown is reset).

Cheers,

Bira

Advertisement

#2 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 03:19

So, where's the catch?

They have to make a dollar out of it somehow.

#3 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 13:24

Originally posted by Barry Lake
So, where's the catch?

They have to make a dollar out of it somehow.

ads, page views. You can link an image directly, but you can also use the thumbnail option - which I personally find more comfortable. And if you use the thumbnail option, if you click on the thumb, the new image opens in a separate page that has text (google) ads. So it's very subtle and unobtrusive, but offers them a stream of income.

Storage isn't expensive. I don't think the overhead expenses of such a service are very big, while the potential is quite good from a business perspective.

#4 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 08:19

Thanks, Bira.

It's always worth asking, because very little in this world is really free.

And when something looks too good to be true, it usually is.

#5 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,411 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 19:43

OK so I'm thick. I have promised all sorts of image postings over the years on this site but never quite managed to overcome the technology or develop the intelligence required.

So I've used my scanner to JPEG an image, browsed and pushed the Host it button. My image appears at the bottom of the screen with 6 or 7 different options offered. What the hell do I next ?

Remember your explanation has to be set at a level that a pre-school child would understand. Quite simply which buttons do I hit ?

#6 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 21:25

Bill, Image Shack offers you, once you uploaded an image, 6 options.

To select any of the options, you click on the "COPY" icon next to each:

Option 1: "Post your image on message boards!"

This option - if you click on "COPY" copies the correct line for the IMG code that will allow you to include the image in a post on a BB such as Atlas F1. You can paste that line into a post on this forum, and it will look something like [IMG ]http://img16.exs.cx/...7/yourimage.jpg[/ IMG]

Option 2: "Hotlink your image on your personal website or Ebay Auctions"

I think it's safe to say you don't need to worry about this option, but for reference - this provides you with the HTML code required to include an image on an HTML page, whether one you have on your own website or, as in their example, one you would like to include in your Ebay sale. The code would look something like http://img16.exs.cx/.../yourimage.jpg" alt="Image Hosted by ImageShack.us" />

Option 3: "Link your image to friends or view the image yourself"

This option is good if you want to send the link to the image by email, for example, or save it in your Favourites. It is a link to the page that displays your image and the code copied would like something like http://img16.exs.cx/...e=yourimage.jpg

Option 4: "Hotlink a clickable thumbnail on your website:

This option is similar to option 2 and likewise, I doubt it interests you. In this case, the code copied is intended for HTML page, if you wish to present a thumbnail of your image - which, when clicked, opens the image in large format. In this case, the code would like like http://img16.exs.cx/...=yourimage.jpg" target="_blank">http://img16.exs.cx/...urimage.th.jpg" border="0" title="Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us" />

Option 5: "Hotlink a clickable thumbnail onto a message board"

In this option, like in option 1, you copy the code that allows you to include your image in a post on a forum like TNF - however unlike option 1, option 5 will include only a thumbnail of the image which, if clicked on, will open the image in full size (you can see for example Vincenzo Lancia's post above). In this option, the code will look like [ URL=http://img16.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img16&image=yourimage.jpg][ IMG]http://img16.exs.cx/...ourimage.th.jpg[/IMG ][/URL ]

Option 6: "Here is a direct link to your image"

This option is similar to option 3, however while option 3 is a link to a web page with the Image Shack text-ads and logo above your own image, option 6 is a direct link to the image only. Again, this is good if you want to save a link to your image in the Favourites or e-mail it to friends, etc. The code will look like http://img16.exs.cx/...2/yourimage.jpg

For the sake of posting on the forum, you should use either option 1 or option 5 (the two options that offer you to copy a code for message boards). Use option 1 if you have a small to medium image that you want to include in your post, and option 5 if the image is large or very large - so it will only include a thumbnail in your post but allow the members to click on it and see the image in full size.

Hope that helps.

#7 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:33

Let me try to simplify it for everybody...

First, open the site, the page you see will look like this:

Posted Image

Then it's your choice of whether you post your pic as a thumbnail or as a pic simply appearing there in full bloom. For thumbnails, just highlight the second line and copy and paste... thus...

Posted Image

Then your picture will appear as a thumbnail so...

Posted Image

For the picture to appear in full, copy and post the 'hotlink for forums' option just below the picture:

Posted Image

If there's anything anyone needs to have clarified, please post here ASAP so I can do it within a post or two...

#8 sandy

sandy

• 1,091 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:09

This is extremely embarassing Ray, but I still don't get it. (Thank heavens for the anonymity of these forums). I bring up the page you show easily enough, but where do I click on this page for the alternatives of thumbnail or otherwise? My images are in Adobe Active Share - how do I get them out of this and up onto the page to allow them to be selected? How did you get the second page you show? And this is really admitting to almost total computer illiteracy, how do you cut and paste? If you are too exasperated by this to continue I understand, but I have a sneaking suspicion that there are quite a few others in my category who may be hanging on to your advice with some rising excitement. (Incidentally, an acquaintance here in Melbourne has just casually mentioned that he has a 1000 color slide collection of vintage car meets, hill climbs etc taken in Victoria in the 50's. Some AGP stuff. He is about to give it away. I am happy to provide his contact details to anyone interested).

#9 Charles Helps

Charles Helps

• 383 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 14:59

Sandy, you start by clicking ImageShack's Browse button and then finding the image on your computer. I imagine Adobe's ActiveShare is just a program - the images live somewhere on a disk drive.

You should eventually find your picture to be uploaded and then click the Host It! button. Then you will see Ray's first thumbnail page. When I did it I found I had to scroll up to the top of the page to see the thumbnail option. Click the field with the code in it (the link). The whole address will highlight and then..

Copy (Keyboard shortcut Ctrl + C) the address - it is now in you computer's clipboard. Don't switch the power off as it only exists in memory and go back to the place where you are preparing your post which will contain the thumbnail.

Paste (Ctrl + V) the link from your clipboard and click OK again:
Posted Image A Lotus Mk VI in the USA
Then test it by clicking Preview Reply and your text and thumbnail will appear. Check that it works by clicking the thumbnail. Make any last minute adjustments, Preview Reply again and then Submit the Reply
[Edited 5 minutes later as I didn't follow my own instructions]
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

#10 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 22:51

Originally posted by sandy
.....I have a sneaking suspicion that there are quite a few others in my category who may be hanging on to your advice with some rising excitement. (Incidentally, an acquaintance here in Melbourne has just casually mentioned that he has a 1000 color slide collection of vintage car meets, hill climbs etc taken in Victoria in the 50's. Some AGP stuff. He is about to give it away. I am happy to provide his contact details to anyone interested).

I know that's true... and it will expand the horizons here when they get to it...

Charles has covered it fairly well, Adobe ActiveShare is a program. What the 'browse' button allows you to do is search your computer for the picture you want to post. Undoubtedly you'll start with clicking on your hard drive in the box that opens, then 'Adobe' and then 'ActiveShare'... I guess that's the path you'll follow.

When you find it you simply click on the image icon, the image location shows in the 'browse' segment, click 'host' and wait... it does take a while sometimes.

If you're happy to use the keyboard shortcuts Charles describes, then they'll become easy enough for you. I prefer to right click on the highlighted line with my mouse and then left click 'copy' when the dialog opens. Then I right click where I want the line pasted and left click 'paste'. But that's up to you, make your decision about which one to use, maybe write it down and keep a little card under your keyboard until you get used to it.

As far as those slides go, I would be delighted to take on the task of scanning them! It's a fairly big job, but those would be very handy for me at times, and for others, and I imagine he wants them shared?

I will scan them, give them all back to him (and you?) on a CD, we'd have to decide what happens to archive the slides themselves, but with his permission we could make them available to a lot of people who'd be very happy to have them

e.mail me... raybell@ramojan.com

#11 sandy

sandy

• 1,091 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:44

Posted Image
Starting to get the hang of this (thanks again) so how about asking for captions for this shot of JB.

Determination or Concentration or Desperation or perhaps "Thinks - I wonder what Betty is cooking for dinner tonight ?" or ....... ?

One thing that this photo does show is that there really was once at time when you could see the drivers at work.

#12 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:58

1956 perhaps... but not Mercedes...

Now you have that sorted, maybe getting the prints straight in the scanner would be a benefit... where's the Brabham pic?

#13 Bill Wagenblatt

Bill Wagenblatt

• 176 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 15:21

I am a new member and would like to know if anyone has posted photos that had been uploaded to the Epson Photo Center web site? If you have experience with this site I would appreciate any help in how to post to TNF.

Thanks,

Bill

#14 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 05:36

Usually these sites don't allow posting from that site to the BB... however, you can link to them generally...

But why not just download them back to your computer (if you no longer have them on your hard drive) and then upload them to ImageShack?

#15 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 13:05

Here's an interesting thing...

Pedro's pic of Mozart is 126kb. I opened it in Irfanview and found that it's 72dpi, which with a photo that size shouldn't be anything like 126kb. So I enlarged it by 10%, closed it and reopened it, it's now 51kb.

How does that work? In fact, why is it that some pictures are just larger files than others, same size pics, same resolution?

#16 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 16:24

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Here's an interesting thing...

Pedro's pic of Mozart is 126kb. I opened it in Irfanview and found that it's 72dpi, which with a photo that size shouldn't be anything like 126kb. So I enlarged it by 10%, closed it and reopened it, it's now 51kb.

How does that work? In fact, why is it that some pictures are just larger files than others, same size pics, same resolution?

"DPI" is printer-related, independent of "PPI", which is resolution-specification.

The deflated file-size number will be a result of the parameters applied to the size-change and the save. I did the same thing—increase the side length by ten percent and save—and now have a 326K file.

Irfanview lets you choose how to process the data when sizes are changed, and I chose "Resample Lanczos". That way it uses complex algorithms to decide what the data will look like. The other choice doesn't work as hard or as well, so the approximations are sloppier, and show it, but take less room on a disk.

JPEG files lose data at every save, and in proportion to the compression applied. My save was at 100%, as little compression as avalable; I saved the same 10%-larger file again at 60%, and it came down to 58K.

Choices are usually made to best fit the end use. My experience is that for computer screen display there is little visible gain using compression greater than Photo Shop Save For Web 60, and relatively little return in using more than Photo Shop Save For Web 30. I don't know how those numbers relate to Irfanview compression numbers.

There is a good primer on this aspect of imaging in Wayne Fulton's Scan Tips - Scanning 101.

--
Frank S

#17 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 23:39

I think you've missed my point, really...

I've done this repeatedly. Some pics are huge files at the same size as others, but the resolution (DPI, I'm sure) is the same.

So without changing anything else, I enlarge them to 101% in Irfanview and resave and they might halve the file size.

Bigger picture (very slightly), same resolution, half the file size... and it's the same picture.

#18 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 06:53

Miles... it's very uncomfortable when pics are posted in this kind of size... I've reduced it to a size that fits on the screen...

Posted Image

#19 Miles Fenton

Miles Fenton

• 36 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 04:46

Thanks Ray. I'm still trying to get to grips with how this is done.
I suppose I'm more of an artist than a computer type.
Miles.

Advertisement

#20 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,602 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:23

Originally posted by szautke
Nick Frost's Hisso at Jungle Park, 1932.

How do I remove the /IMG ?

szautke
If you click the Quote button on this post you will see the code you should use...
you have one extra "" on the front and one extra "" at the end in your posts

Yours
[IMG]http://img270.images...unglepark19.jpg[/IMG]

Correct
Posted Image

Rob

#21 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:12

What's happening, I assume, is you are clicking on the image code above the reply box instead of just allowing the code as copied from Image Shack to do its job. So you finish up with the image code showing twice in your post.

#22 szautke

szautke

• 89 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 15:48

Yep, that's it. That's what happens when you try something new at midnight . :yawn:

Thanks for all of your help. :up:

#23 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 23:25

Originally posted by Paul Rochdale

...if you look at 'Driver Burial Locations',I'm making a dogs dinner of this Image Shack business. I've successfully loaded images onto the BB before but I don't do it often enough to become competent at it.

Sorted.

Any more problems, Paul, just drop me a line! :up:

#24 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:55

Thank you Twinny, but it doesn't help me with why I have so much trouble with it. I hate to muck up the BB with my unforced errors. There's clearly a reason why we can't add images from our personal records in the normal way although I can't think what it could be. :confused:

#25 Charles Helps

Charles Helps

• 383 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 22:00

Paul, I do find that the Preview Reply button is most useful. It lets you see the post before you Submit it so if it's not what you intended then you can try again. You can use it to check that links work as well as previewing your thumbnails and pictures. If the link always opens in a new window then you won't lose your post - apologies if you already know all this. I keep my uploaded pictures and links on Image Shack in a separate window as well - having lost both thumbnail and large picture link. I had to upload them again.

It doesn't stop my brain fade like typing 1959 when I meant 1958 tho' :blush:

#26 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 23:27

Originally posted by Paul Rochdale

Thank you Twinny, but it doesn't help me with why I have so much trouble with it. I hate to muck up the BB with my unforced errors. There's clearly a reason why we can't add images from our personal records in the normal way although I can't think what it could be. :confused:

I suggest you simply persist, Paul - I doubt there are many of us who didn't struggle to begin with (I know I did...).

And Charles' advice above is extremely practical; please do use the 'Preview Reply' facility as many times as you like, as there's no limit.

I'm certain that - after a little perseverance - it'll all suddenly click into place for you!

#27 Groupc

Groupc

• 8 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:45

Testing

Posted Image

#28 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 13:56

Way too big...

And D-Type, could you not have a second window open and be viewing another thread while one burdened with pictures was still loading? That's what I do when I'm not on broadband.

#29 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:13

bira (or anyone who understands this)
I just tried to upload a picture. Clicked the image shack link in bira's first post, followed the instructions, got as far as putting in my TNF user name, password and even cut-and-pasted the http for this thread, clicked the Post to BB button and got:
Internal Server Error.

Now what did it mean by that?

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks

#30 Charles Helps

Charles Helps

• 383 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 20:58

Something more like this, James? Ray Bell has done a child's guide in an earlier post.
Posted Image

and as Rob Ryder said in an earlier post:
P.S. if you hit the 'quote' button on this post you will see how I 'cleaned' your image code

Thanks to Imageshack for hosting

#31 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:55

He might have done a child's guide in an earlier post but I still can't get it right, even after posting quite a few images on here. Please have a look at the Driver's Grave Locations, at the last couple of entries. At first I tried the thumbnail method but even when enlarged, the writing is difficult to read especially on 50yr old headstones. I tried the 'Hotlink for Forums' option and that's barely any better. The Alan Stacey headstone is unreadable. Perhaps the originals are too small. It certainly filled the viewfinder on my digital camera. It's probably just an age thing as I find simply everything too damned complicated these days - and please don't mention 'compression' either. Perhaps I should go to night school and have someone show me the ropes? :confused:

#32 rhp96

rhp96

• 18 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 15:06

BTW, for those having difficulties with resizing images, if you get an account at Photobucket, you can resize the image there: they have reduction options, and provide the cut and paste codes you need for images here.

Having just read this thread, it is something to note that all those Imageshack images are still working nearly two years on.

Robert

#33 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:26

I tried, tried,triedand kept making a dog's load of it.
Then finally success and what happens ?
I post a pic from autosport.com which has been publicized
to millions on their pc and get bira all over me.

All of a sudden I couldn't care tiddy winks how Image Shack
works any more.

#34 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 08:45

Originally posted by macoran
I tried, tried,triedand kept making a dog's load of it.
Then finally success and what happens ?
I post a pic from autosport.com which has been publicized
to millions on their pc and get bira all over me.

All of a sudden I couldn't care tiddy winks how Image Shack
works any more.

**WARNING**TEMPER TANTRUM, TEMPER TANTRUM**WARNING** :wave: :rotfl:

#35 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 00:52

Originally posted by James Page
testing:

Posted Image

Better? Not really, needs a bit more size...

#36 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 22:22

Are ppl still having troubles uploading pictures? In case anyone's running Opera, I would like to mention that it, in my expirience, doesn't work very well with Imageshack. Earlier versions crashed when I tried to view Imageshack pics, but the one I use now (9 beta) works well in that respect, although it will not upload pictures. In that case other browser (M$IE that comes with Windows, or Firefox, &c) should be used to upload piccies.

#37 Neuz

Neuz

• 159 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 19:22

If I have a website and there is a picture on there that i would like to put into my reply how do I do it.
I tried clicking on the "IMG" and putting in the link but it did not work

http://www.yesterday.....y_Hulme 1.htm

Any help would be appriciated.

Neuz

#38 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 20:35

Neuz

You can either link to the image as you have done above, or upload it directly from your hard drive to ImageShack or similar.

The latter couldn't be easier - simply click on the browse button and navigate through your pc to the appropriate file. One important thing to remember, though, is to create a smaller, re-sized copy of any images you want to post beforehand. The ideal size is approximately 650 pixels width - and make sure that you save the smaller copy with a modified file name (I normally add 'LR' to the end - 'LR' being for 'low resolution').

:up:

#39 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 22:22

Or (and I use your pic by way of demonstration only...) you can bring the pic up on screen via that web page, then click on 'ctrl' + 'Print Screen' at the same time, then that picture is on your computer clipboard...

You then open a graphics program (I use Irfanview, but Paint will do), crop in to get just the pic you want and save it as a .jpg file and then upload it to Image Shack or Tinypic and post it... so:

Posted Image
Copright yesterdaysneuz.com

Advertisement

#40 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 03:03

Would someone please explain how one uses Image Shack to include multiple photos in a post?
Thanks.

#41 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 04:31

No problem...

You just copy and paste the image codes one under the other, double space to leave a gap.

#42 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 17:06

Posted Image

Posted Image

#43 Paul Medici

Paul Medici

• 441 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 17:08

That was easy, thanks Ray.

#44 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 21:37

And please continue to do it that way, Paul (unlike others who prefer to ignore any-and-all helpful advice and therefore repeatedly make a 'dog's dinner' of their posts...)!

:up:

#45 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,826 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 20:13

I don't understand it - at all - on the page you have about ten options. what do they all mean?

I wish I had my own site, but it's impossible.

Meanhwile:

Posted Image

Yep - as I suspected - it doesn't work. (N.B. I selcted the option for "forums" ha-ha.)

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

PdeRL

#46 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:17

Posted Image

#47 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 18:01

Originally posted by David Beard

Personally, I paste all the separate URLs generated by Image Shack for each photo into a Word document, then paste the whole document into the TNF reply window. (Of course using the preview facility before posting, just to check it all works)

:up: Same here, it's the best way for multiples

#48 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,826 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 18:28

Originally posted by David Beard
Posted Image

How did you do that?

Good pic eh?

Rgds,

PdeRL

#49 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,956 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 19:55

Unless you selected this one...

Posted Image

...you got it wrong. If it's a problem with you computer or your handwork, you need to check that the image codes (within the square brackets at each end) are intact.

#50 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,826 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 21:09

Thanks Ray, but I didn't understand: I think I used "forums 2" I just copied and pasted it.

I would like to know how David turned the link into an automatic picture

PdeRL