Attention everyone: how to post your images

• Please log in to reply
379 replies to this topic

#51 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,881 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 21:35

Originally posted by VAR1016
Thanks Ray, but I didn't understand: I think I used "forums 2" I just copied and pasted it.

I would like to know how David turned the link into an automatic picture

PdeRL

I could see the URL for the photo in the wonky link you posted, Paul...just pasted into the Image letterbox on the reply page. I am not a Rocket Scientist ;)

PS yes...excellent pic :clap:

Advertisement

#52 sandy

sandy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 01:20

Can anyone suggest as to how to get images from the little red cross - I press the right button of the mouse - click everything but no picture. How do you get it to appear. Thanks for help.

#53 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,700 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 02:29

If that's happening, then there is something wrong with the link... it has to be perfect to work...

#54 Robert Bailey

Robert Bailey

• 212 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 00:49

How do I attach photos onto a post? The FAQ says there should be a browse button when I compose a post, however I can't seem to find it. Help!

#55 subh

subh

• 1,016 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 00:57

The image has to be available somewhere online, and you have to know the URL (the web address) for it. Then click the IMG tab, paste in said URL, and click OK. I don’t think a browse option would really work for this function.

#56 Robert Bailey

Robert Bailey

• 212 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 01:18

thanks for that. But I don't know how to put the photos online?

#57 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,881 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 01:28

Use Imageshack hosting. Everything's explained in sticky thread . Go to their site (there is 'browse' button there), select the image and upload it. You'll be given a choice of links to put in the post (copy-paste into the message)- thumbnail version is 2nd from top, IIRC.

#58 tam999

tam999

• 87 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:19

I've been wanting to learn how to post images directly to the forum, too. I went to the Imageshack page and registered and uploaded a few photos. I THINK I'm correctly posting a photo of Bill Hartman's King Cobra at the Coronado Speed Festival last Sunday, October 8th.

Posted Image

#59 tam999

tam999

• 87 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:28

That worked! It turns out that posting photos here is easy using "Imageshack". It's also fun! Here's another: Ole Anderson's Devin-Volvo along with an interesting item in the background that reminds us that Coronado Island is right by the channel leading out of San Diego Bay.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#60 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 2,998 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 01:58

Robert, I had a hell of a job posting photos initially-and I made quite a stink about it :blush:

If you follow the link to imageshack.com from the 'sticky' at the beginning of this forum, press the 'browse' button that should be on the page that comes up, find the photo you want to post where ever it is in your computer, click 'Host it" on the Image Shack site page, and after it has uploaded (copied) it, which may take a while, select the type of image you want to post-there are four options. This has changed, I think, since Bira posted the instructions. Option #3 seems to work for me but I may be wrong. Highlight and copy this web address using the 'edit' function on your computer. Open the thread you want to post it on in The Nostalgia Forum and click on 'Paste'. This should install the co-ordinates for your photo on this site in the correct location. sorry if this sounds Ga Ga to the rest of you, but perhaps Robert is my age..... :rolleyes:

#61 starlet

starlet

• 327 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 21:49

Hi David,

It's a good first test.
But in order to show the pic directly - instead of a link - click on the IMG button.
And don't forget to reduce it to a size that fits on the screen.

Fellows, I can tell you that David has some treasures to show you ! :love:

#62 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,228 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 18:00

Test - stage 1

Posted Image

#63 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,228 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 18:06

Look - I did it!

This has taken me about 6 months of occasional trying and failing and giving up in frustration BECAUSE WHAT I DIDN'T TWIG WAS...

you have to copy and paste the selected line from Image Shack's page into
THE REPLY BOX ON THE FORUM

not into some other box, window or place that I was trying (and failing) to find on the ImageShack page.

Now. It just might be that there are others out there still baffled by all this who are almost as thick as I am and do not twig it either.

#64 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,700 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 22:40

Originally posted by Mal9444
.....This has taken me about 6 months of occasional trying and failing and giving up in frustration BECAUSE WHAT I DIDN'T TWIG WAS...

you have to copy and paste the selected line from Image Shack's page into
THE REPLY BOX ON THE FORUM

not into some other box, window or place that I was trying (and failing) to find on the ImageShack page.

Now. It just might be that there are others out there still baffled by all this who are almost as thick as I am and do not twig it either.

Good point...

It is very hard to understand why people can't do this because they never try to explain what they are doing... hence nobody can tell what they're doing wrong... or what they're missing...

Though it's from another forum with slightly different software, here's a pic of how it's done:

Posted Image

#65 Bill Becketts

Bill Becketts

• 319 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 22:30

OOPS!!

Try again soon :confused:

#66 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,700 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:11

Bill... when you are using Imageshack or Tinypic, you do NOT use the image setup on the forum itself... you simply copy the 'hotlink for forums' or 'thumbnails for forums' line and paste it into your post.

It would have come out like this...

Posted Image

#67 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,881 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 20:56

Originally posted by David Beard
Like a lot of people here I have been using Image Shack a great deal...but is it too good to be true? I worries me that a lot of very useful sites either eventually pack up or ask for money. In either case, TNF could become home to an awful lot of those red crosses....

I repeat myself....because I think we need to be aware that if Image Shack dies, there are going to be a lot of red crosses on TNF.

I use it, cos it is easy...but better to use your own web space :

#68 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,700 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 21:29

I agree, David, we really would like to know...

I've taken to using Tinypic too. I don't know if there's a time limit on pics uploaded to that site, but so far I haven't lost any.

Imageshack are carrying advertising now. Presumably that pays the bills?

And Atlas F1 space has now seemingly been deleted... I'm noticing that pics I previously uploaded for reference from there are now showing the infamous red crosses.

#69 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,700 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:04

TT... you don't post via the 'IMG' code button on the forum when you use Imageshack... the codes are a part of the string you copy from the Imageshack page.

#70 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 08:46

Not sure who fixed this thread, but... it's now fixed!

#71 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:39

Thanks Twinny
I was getting bored with seeing that Gryphon every time I tried to view a new post :lol:

#72 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 17:40

[IMG]http://img265.images...8/img038tq5.jpg[/IMG]

Alan

If at first you don't succeed .........

#73 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,700 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 22:57

Originally posted by Phil Rainford
Posted Image

Alan

If at first you don't succeed .........

...don't use the IMG codes, just copy and paste the codes complete from Imageshack!

Don't know what you've done here though...

#74 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,813 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 15:00

It appears that the webpage that insinuates itself onto one's computer when one clicks on an Image Shack image has changed.

It used to be about poker and could be removed simply by clicking the 'BACK' button, but today there is another page instead and it won't go away.

Stuff Image Shack, I say!

#75 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,159 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 15:57

Not to mention the 'tracking cookie' spyware that regularly loads itself onto my computer when I click on an Imageshack photo.
:mad: :mad:

Is there a less invasive alternative?

#76 vashlin

vashlin

• 322 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:56

Tim, thanks for your help!

I thought I was resizing the image but obviously I got it wrong.

I will try again.

LinC

#77 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,700 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 15:34

Download Irfanview, it makes it really simple...

Free download, when you resize save it with a different file name (I'm sure you realise).

#78 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,269 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 13:24

I've just had a read of Roger Bell's 'Idiots Guide to Posting Images' - at least DCN and I have a little in common - but it doesn't explain how to post MULTIPLE IMAGES, a question I have asked at least twice here but have yet to receive a reply.

I can post a single image but if I want to post a string of images, how do I do it???

#79 vashlin

vashlin

• 322 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 14:02

Paul, I have been using Image Shack and the way I post multiple images is tedious and time-consuming. I am thinking there must be a better way. Anyone??

What I am doing now is just copying the image, going to the post I have opened and pasting it there then minimizing the Forum, going back to Image Shack to find and copy the next image, minimize I.S., maximize the Forum and paste another image and so on till I have 5 or 6 on one post then submit it.

Like I said, there must be a better way although this has worked for me so far.

LinC

Advertisement

#80 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,813 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 15:24

Virtually every ISP allows its customers free web space. You don't have to have a website in order to make use of it. You can get free upload programmes which enable you to put your images onto a server, which can then be used to show them here or anywhere else for that matter.

Multiple or otherwise.

It really isn't difficult.... honestly!

#81 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,269 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 20:21

Well clearly Barry some of us DO have problems with it, as well as the jargon. An ISP? The only way I can think of uploading multiple images from Image Shack is to load one on a post, make another post and add a second image to that, and so on. Alternatively, and I know this works but it's laborious, add an image on a post, go back to Image Shack and get another image then go back to the original post and click on 'Edit, then add it. But to do that is just daft. OK, I could post a link to a photo album such as Photobucket but that won't allow the pictures to appear on here. I did get an O-level in Woodwork, donchaknow? :|
OK, I've got it 'Internet Service Provider'. Yup, it all slips into place now..... :confused:

#82 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,700 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:15

Paul, you need to either have two windows of your browser open at once, or two tabs on your browser open...

As vashlin has said, you minimise one and work on the other (in the case where you have two browsers open) or just go from one tab to the other if not.

Copy and paste one, then upload the next, copy and paste it and so on.

Or, another way... copy and paste to a notepad or wordpad file... one after the other, then make your post and copy and paste the whole lot to your post.

#83 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,269 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:26

Sorry Ray but you credit me with abilities I don't have. I don't have a clue what your explanation means. I didn't understand one line of it. I think the mental shutters came down at the age of 45 and my pickled walnut of a brain refuses to understand anything other than emails, ebay and Google :(

#84 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,700 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:33

First Paul, begin to understand that you can have more than one browser open at a time...

And it doesn't need to take up the full screen. In fact, it really irks me that people have windows open full screen.

Go play with that for a while, open a couple of browsers, hit the two boxes together in the trio of boxes at the top right of the frame of the windows and then work with them until you get them a size that's handy.

And google up 'download Irfanview'... download it through Tucows.

#85 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,813 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:43

:lol: Yes, quite, Ray! :lol:

#86 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,700 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:49

Come on Barry, we have to help the poor chap...

He's got pics to post, we want to see them. Let's give him a hand.

#87 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,813 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:55

Sorry, Ray, I wasn't trying to be nasty, but I can't really grasp what you are getting at and I used to teach computers. (They learn very quickly)

I still think uploading to webspace is the easiest solution - assuming you have some, which as I said I think virtually everyone does.

#88 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,700 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:08

What I'm setting out to do, Barry, is to take him through the whole process... reduce the photo size, crop etc before uploading...

Rather than have oversize pics like those above.

#89 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,813 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:24

Yes, good idea, Ray.

#90 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:41

Does anyone else find it annoying that this thread is always used for "testing"? Shouldn't this thread be there to provide help for those seeking it, and shouldn't the "testing" be done in the appropriate thread and then deleted, if unsuccessful?

Sorry if this should be inappropriate, but I can't help thinking of an unsuspecting novice who has a serious need for assistance and then finds his way to knowledge blocked by really unneccessary posts. Else ignore or delete...

#91 ESSEXBOY

ESSEXBOY

• 214 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 15:13

I STRONGLY AGREE WITH THE BOTH THE PREVIOUS AND NEXT POST :kiss:

#92 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 17:47

I don't think there's anything wrong with people using this thread for practice
However, I do wish they'd hit the 'delete' button after they've finished :)

#93 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,881 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 19:28

Originally posted by David McKinney

And try out the "Preview Reply" button. It is so easy. :rolleyes:

TNF...the place for grumpy old men :)

#94 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,700 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:00

Originally posted by fines
Does anyone else find it annoying that this thread is always used for "testing"? Shouldn't this thread be there to provide help for those seeking it, and shouldn't the "testing" be done in the appropriate thread and then deleted, if unsuccessful?

Sorry if this should be inappropriate, but I can't help thinking of an unsuspecting novice who has a serious need for assistance and then finds his way to knowledge blocked by really unneccessary posts. Else ignore or delete...

Absolutely...

It's become nigh on impossible to send someone to this thread to learn how to post pictures. I don't understand why people think it is for 'testing' and maybe Twinny could separate out the 'testing' posts and send them to another thread?

#95 vashlin

vashlin

• 322 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 13:51

I think the idea of a separate thread for testing is a good one.

When I first posted on TNF I did use this thread to learn how to do it and it was very helpful. I put 2 test pictures on here myself as I thought that was what one was supposed to do. Was just following what had already been done. :

TNF - the place for grumpy old men, but loveable grumpy old men...... right?

LinC :kiss:

#96 BANZAI

BANZAI

• 100 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:53

Posted Image

#97 Charles Helps

Charles Helps

• 326 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 14:20

Slightly OT but some years ago I took most of my photos using 35mm slide stock. I came across this today - I haven't tried it but it could be useful for people like me who have access to a scanner but no Transparent Media Adaptor.

How to Scan 35 mm Slides on a Flatbed Scanner

#98 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:49

Originally posted by fines

Agreed.

Originally posted by David McKinney

Agreed.

Originally posted by Ray Bell

It's become nigh on impossible to send someone to this thread to learn how to post pictures. I don't understand why people think it is for 'testing' and maybe Twinny could separate out the 'testing' posts and send them to another thread?

Done.

Inevitably there is some degree of disjointedness about what's left, but hopefully this is once again the edifying place it was intended to be - mainly due to Ray's unstinting patience with image-posting novices. :up:

#99 PRUNET

PRUNET

• 16 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:50

Just on more message to add some confusion to your system... Not surprising there are so few images in your forum.

Advertisement

#100 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,700 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 13:31

How so?

There is nothing to dissuade people from posting, we're doing our best to help them understand this particular system and we don't scream at people if their pics are over 25kb.