379 replies to this topic

#101 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,233 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 14:59

Originally posted by Ray Bell
How so?

There is nothing to dissuade people from posting, we're doing our best to help them understand this particular system and we don't scream at people if their pics are over 25kb.

I'd say the main reason is this thread, Ray. Add BRM MICK's experiences and I think you have your answer.

Compared to some other fora based in Spain and France, there are very few pics here these days ....

Advertisement

#102 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,066 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 20:28

Originally posted by Vitesse2
Compared to some other fora based in Spain and France, there are very few pics here these days ....

:eek: :eek: Have you looked at the 'Personal photos...' threads or the Oulton thread recently?

Excellent work by AC, SA, PR and many others.

Maybe you mean there are very few pics here infringe COPYRIGHT .... :cool:

Rob

#103 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,691 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 23:07

Originally posted by Rob Ryder
Maybe you mean there are very few COPYRIGHT pics here.... :cool:

Thank you for the plug, Rob. My pics are copyright, too,.. (I think I know what you mean ;) )

#104 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,066 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:33

Originally posted by Alan Cox

Thank you for the plug, Rob. My pics are copyright, too,.. (I think I know what you mean ;) )

No problem Alan.. credit where it is due. I have edited my post so that it makes sense ;)
Rob

#105 coco

coco

• 166 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:22

Sorry, folks. But it seems that this overforces my humble intelligence. Would love to post photos to this forum but I am too dum for it!

Why has live become so difficult when its so easy to post photos on other forums????

Ciao!
Walter

#106 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,718 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:27

Originally posted by coco
Sorry, folks. But it seems that this overforces my humble intelligence. Would love to post photos to this forum but I am too dum for it!

Why has live become so difficult when its so easy to post photos on other forums????

Ciao!
Walter

Walter, have you checked this out?

http://forums.autosp...&threadid=70638

Steve

#107 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,270 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:29

Walter, Go to the sticky ATTENTION EVERYBODY: HOW TO POST IMAGES and follow the instructions. It's fairly straightforward but even after a couple of years, it sometimes fails to work for me and an image is either too small or enormous.

Oh, it's 'dumb' and 'life', and you're sounding like me ;-)

Paul

#108 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,584 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 12:51

The true idiots' guide is given here, on post 351. Eifelrennen 1934 thread,
http://forums.autosp...y=&pagenumber=9
The eternally patient Ray Bell takes you through step by step, and it works.
Roger Lund.

#109 coco

coco

• 166 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 13:11

Originally posted by bradbury west
Roger Lund.

Roger, the dump says "Thank You, Sir!"

Ciao!
Walter

#110 coco

coco

• 166 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 14:09

Originally posted by bradbury west
Roger Lund.

Tried that! But still to dump! I come to the URL that I mark that with my curser....and then???? On other forums is an "upload your image"-button under every (!) message box, you push that, you chose the photo, then "send"-button and...voilá...there it is! Simple and effective!

But - thanks for trying to help me!

Ciao!
Walter

#111 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 16:32

I agree with Coco that it is much more difficult than other forums-I was VERY frustrated whenever I tried to post a photo initially-and now imageshag has that stupid poker outfit advertising-it makes me want to 'dump' to.

#112 coco

coco

• 166 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 17:39

Originally posted by David Birchall
I agree with Coco that it is much more difficult than other forums-I was VERY frustrated whenever I tried to post a photo initially-and now imageshag has that stupid poker outfit advertising-it makes me want to 'dump' to.

...Jessus - I am not alone!!!!

Ciao!
Walter

#113 Charles Helps

Charles Helps

• 326 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 19:20

Walter

There are three computers involved. Yours, the photo hosting server which will hold your photo (Imageshack or Flickr perhaps) and the Atlas F1 server which stores the threads and posts.

You must first upload the photo from your computer to the photo hosting server and remember or copy its URL. You then write your post on TNF and use the URL to make a link from Atlas TNF to the photo on the photo hosting server using Ray's instructions.

Other forums let you host photos on their server. Atlas used to do this for members with over 1000 posts AFAIK but that stopped and all those photos in old posts were lost. Very frustrating.

Don't give up - good luck.

#114 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 23:47

Thanks for that compliment, Roger...

Here it is, anyway, again. The pictures do tend to go out of date, but the basics are the same. Note especially that the 'Hotlink for forums (1)' line is always down below the tasteless and intrusive advertising that pays for this service:

Originally posted by Myself elsewhere
Doug... this is the Imageshack simply put: browse, select, then type in your e.mail address then click 'host it'. That is literally all you do to upload the picture. Don't worry about anything else at all, just browse, select, type in your e.mail address and click 'host it', all of which are close to each other in this pic, shown as things appear immediately after you click on 'browse' (though I have moved the browsing window to one side for clarity, 'browse', e.mail box and 'host it' are all just to the right of the browsing window) :

Posted Image

This is the result.

Posted Image

You will notice just below that everpresent advertising there is a box with 'include details'... you will probably want to 'untick' that. This is immediately over a URL string which is identified on the far right by the words 'hotlink for forums 1',

You put your cursor over that url and left click (the pic I've posted shows it at this stage, with the url string highlighted) and then right click, then you left click on 'copy' in the dialog box that appears, paste to your post. You don't need to make any other preparation with imagecodes or anything else, just paste it into your post where you want the picture to appear.

Charles, thank you for explaining the way the link all works, I guess I should have done that...

coco and David Birchall... I also post on fora where they have the simpler hosting method. But virtually all of them have upload limits. Eventually you have to dice what you have uploaded to make room for something else. Some have a contrary framing for the pictures, one (the fabled 'other place') in their arrogance had (do they still?) a very small limit on picture size.

Remember, it's a matter of bandwidth usage and server size that drives these things. The 10mb that we used to be able to upload to this size was very handy, but I doubt that would be half the capacity needed to hold photos I currently have in suspension on Imageshack and Tinypic for use on various fora.

Imageshack and Tinypic, however, are happy to go chase advertisers to pay for our indulgence. So please follow the instructions and learn how to take advantage of this service. And please, please, please... do not use this thread as a test area.

#115 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:10

Ray, I think it is safe to say that there are more complaints about posting images on TNF than all other subjects combined....

Apart from originality, truthfulness , originality, etc....

#116 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:17

David, this is easy...

Perhaps not quite so easy as uploading to the site itself, but if you have two tabs open on your browser, or two browser windows open, it is as easy as can be. And safer than uploading to the site in most cases.

As for complaints, I have no idea. It's not my province to field the complaints. Have you tried to follow the above instructions? If not, go to a thread you want to post a picture to, follow them, then click on the 'Preview Reply' button and see how it goes. If it's right, post it. If not, go back to the instructions.

Don't look for ways to complicate it, it is really simple, you just have to get your mind around what's happening.

#117 yasmin

yasmin

• 69 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:52

oops, try again.. my M10B

Posted Image

#118 sandy

sandy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:54

I had got on top of Image Shack some time ago but now cannot post images - I browse OK - get the image
then when I press Host It it all goes faded in the box and says uploading but nothing ever happens. Also I have had the word email (against the box) it is now replaced by the word tag (against the box) - how do I get it back to email again?

Any ideas? I have a good shot of the 2 Maybachs at the AGP and want to put it on the Maybach thread.

#119 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:54

Having not used Imageshack for a while, I've found lately that it can be very slow - no doubt the rise in popularity of FaceBook, YouTube etc is a factor.
I've had the same experience as sandy, but find if you're patient it will eventually 'upload'
I also find it seems to work on one of my browsers faster than on the other
Can't help with your email query though as I don't use Imageshack for that purpose

Advertisement

#120 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 21:30

Hey guys...

You were asked before... please don't use this as a test area. You have the option when you post of clicking on 'Preview Reply' to see if it works, please use that.

#121 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 21:40

Originally posted by sandy
I had got on top of Image Shack some time ago but now cannot post images - I browse OK - get the image
then when I press Host It it all goes faded in the box and says uploading but nothing ever happens. Also I have had the word email (against the box) it is now replaced by the word tag (against the box) - how do I get it back to email again?

Any ideas? I have a good shot of the 2 Maybachs at the AGP and want to put it on the Maybach thread.

I'm struggling with this, sandy...

I'm of the opinion that maybe you've somehow selected one of the unwanted options at the top, just above that. Check here, see if you have 'image' selected:

Posted Image

I don't see any option there that gives the result you mention regarding the word tag. Anyway, try this and see if you get a result.

#122 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 21:49

Hey guys...
You were asked before... please don't use this as a test area. You have the option when you post of clicking on 'Preview Reply' to see if it works, please use that.

I don't recall that
But I do remember people being asked to delete their posts once they've established what they can do

#123 sandy

sandy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:12

To hell with Image Shack and all who sail in her. Does anyone know of another any program which would allow me to post Images to forums?

#124 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,707 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:56

I have given up on Imageshack and switched to Photobucket . It is easier to use but it does not have thumbnails. :

#125 sandy

sandy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 00:09

Thanks a lot Catalina Park, I tried Photobucket and although it took a little while to down load the image it only took seconds to post it to TNF. The large size may be unacceptable however, (e.g. see Maybach image posted yesterday on TNF), I wonder if there is a way around that? Nevertheless it is easy and troublefree and means that Imageshack can be given the flick. Thanks again. Do you think that there should be a mention of Photobucket on the main bulletin board to allow all those who have great pics but who have given up because of Imageshack an incentive to try again?

#126 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 21:50

I can't for a moment see any problems with Imageshack. I have a huge number of pics on there and they automatically resize when posted if they're too big.

However, if you want to resize before you upload, and you must if they are really big pics I guess, Irfanview is simple and is a free download. Just remember to save the downsized pic under a different filename or in a different folder... and to make sure it saves as a .jpg (which it always does if you change it from a .bmp the first time you save a pic).

I wonder if you're simply not waiting long enough for the pics to upload? Sometimes they might take ten or fifteen seconds, but it's rarely worse than that. Very, very occasionally you have to upload a second time, but that is so rare as to be readily be discounted.

sandy, it sounds to me like you're simply not following instructions. Were you clicking on 'hotlink to forums (1)'?

Remember, that's below the advertisements and the thumbnail of your pic on the page. You will have to scroll down to get to it.

Remember, the steps are simple:

1. left click on that line

2. right click and then click on 'copy'

3. paste the line to your post.

How long can it take? I've never tried Photobucket, but I'll bet it's no easier.

#127 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 22:05

I have a huge number of pics on there and they automatically resize when posted if they're too big.

...if you click on the correct option
But I agree with you about the ease of imageshack. Since my first couple of attempts the only trouble I've ever had is the occasional delay you mention. I blame the advent of YouTube and Facebook and other things eating up my broadband speed :)

#128 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 22:11

Originally posted by David McKinney
...if you click on the correct option.....

Not the resizing I'm talking about, David... if a pic is too big, it gets resized when posted, you click on a line under the pic then to get the full rendition (no, I'm not talking about conventional thumbnails here). But you're right, there is an automatic resize option there.

Now I've tried Photobucket and it's certainly more difficult than Imageshack...

For a start, you have to register*. This means that if you're operating from a computer you haven't used before (as I often do when travelling) you have to log in to do anything.

Then it's a 2-step process to go to the upload page, then it's another 2-stage process before you can copy your image code.

All of this happens on one page with one click on Imageshack. Downside is you need to put your e.mail address in each time, but that means nothing if your cookies retain it, just type the first letter and click on it and that's done.

There's no registration, though if you do register your photos previously uploaded will be added to your album provided you've used the same e.mail address.

But the main point is that Imageshack is simpler if not faster!

I'd love to know what you were doing wrong, sandy. It might help others if we can work that out.

* While it's not the worst kind of registration, it does have some problems from my point of view. For one thing, it won't allow you to use your name as your 'username'. You cannot have two separate words, you must have something between them other than a space. After that it demands your birthdate or you can't register. Some people, and I've become one of them, don't want to divulge their DOB.

There are various reasons for this. One might be, as it's expressed to me by others, the opening for identity theft. That doesn't bother me, but other issues do. Some people, for instance, will insist on bracketing you according to your star sign... I won't tolerate that.

Of course, this means that you register with a fake DOB, which brings other problems. Like when you need to recall your password and they ask your DOB, for instance?

It is true that the username part of this also applies if you decide to register with Imageshack. But you don't actually have to register there, so it's less of a problem and there is no DOB requirement.

#129 sandy

sandy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 03:03

What I do is press Browse, select my photo, press host it - nothing happens. I have waited for half an hour but still nothing. I notice on the search rectangle that you have a binoculars symbol - my Image shack page doesn't have this and alongside the rectangle under the Browse line/ rectangle I have the word tag which you don't. I tried to scroll down further but it wouldn't go any lower than the host it line. All I do know is that Photobucket worked straight off, was quick and although I had to sign in this only take seconds. Catalina Park and others have explained how to make the image smaller (see Maybach Special images thread). The point is that if I can get Photobucket to work anyone can - hopefully all of those people who have marvellous images but couldn't get past Image Shack can now finally get them up by using Photobucket. I'm going to Winton on the 25th and hope to get some unique shots for TNF and I do this with confidence knowing now that I can get them up via Photobucket.

#130 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,707 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:16

Glad it worked Sandy.

With Photobucket I can upload ten photos in about two minutes. With Imageshack it would take about ten minutes or more to upload ten photos.
I have used both and found a lot less problems with Photobucket. I found that Imageshack had a fair bit of down time where I couldn't upload anything.

#131 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 23:01

Originally posted by Catalina Park
Glad it worked Sandy.

With Photobucket I can upload ten photos in about two minutes. With Imageshack it would take about ten minutes or more to upload ten photos.
I have used both and found a lot less problems with Photobucket. I found that Imageshack had a fair bit of down time where I couldn't upload anything.

I have also had problems, as I said before, but they are few and far between today...

I just timed uploading and copying image codes for nine pics. 5m15s... and that with a very dodgy mouse that must have cost me a full minute with its mucking around. I know you can upload more than one at a time on Photobucket, and that might well be an advantage, I haven't explored any further to see how you go on then to post the pics, but I guess it's not hard.

I used to go to Tinypic when Imageshack gave problems, I've only done that once in maybe eighteen months. There are some real problems, or things I consider real problems, with Tinypic when it comes to old pics. They change the file name on you, unlike Imageshack, which just adds a letter and a number to your filename. So if a Tinypic link goes down, you can't go back and edit in a fresh uploading of that pic so easily because you have more trouble finding the pic again.

Anyway, Photobucket is certainly a viable option if people don't like Imageshack. Maybe they don't have or can't foresee any difficulties with the DOB thing, as I do. A personal foible, I guess, but I dislike any site that demands a DOB or demands a certain type of password (which Photobucket doesn't). You can't do a lot about the username thing, as I regularly found out when I tried for uncompromised e.mail addresses.

Way too many Ray Bells around...

sandy, I'm also glad you got the gist of it. I do commend Irfanview to you as a means of reducing and reconstituting photos, it is so easy.

As for the binoculars, they aren't there any more, that rendition of the Imageshack is far from new. I don't know about the 'tag' thing, but these things aren't relevant. It's what happens after you upload that matters, and I simply don't understand why your pics didn't upload (unless they were just too big?).

#132 p261brm

p261brm

• 10 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 15:50

Originally posted by Kvadrat
Does anyone know what's wrong? I registered on ImageShack and after image uploading received message "You currently have no images to display". If I registered and uploaded an image it must show me my gallery but it didn't happen. Their FAQ doesn't have any explanation. E-mail with question is still unanswered.

Same here comrade, know I am not the most computor literate person but can usually follow the book of words

#133 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:46

Do you and your friends have knowledge of how to get that service for nothing?

And while we're at it, did you try simply uploading to Imageshack without registering?

#134 vashlin

vashlin

• 322 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:55

I've used Imageshack for all the pictures I've shared on TNF. It was the first thing I tried and, like
Pavlov's dog, I tend to stick with what I know. Have had occasional hang-ups. Sometimes have to
upload an image twice before it shows up. But, the great majority of the time, it works fine for me.

I have never registered. What advantage (if any) is there to registering? I've often wondered if I should.

Lin

#135 cuffybert

cuffybert

• 15 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:04

New to sending pics. Hope this works

Posted Image

#136 cuffybert

cuffybert

• 15 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:07

Oops sorry chaps way to big, I'll sort out reducing the file size.

#137 cuffybert

cuffybert

• 15 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:21

Lets try again

Posted Image

#138 cuffybert

cuffybert

• 15 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:22

Success at last.

#139 sandy

sandy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:53

After enthusiastically recommending Photobucket I tried tonight to post 6 images into a Wooden Boat forum and came unstuck - could someone be good enough to list the sequence required to take images from Picasa2 and post them in a forum? Thanks.

Advertisement

#140 sandy

sandy

• 1,064 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:28

Originally posted by sandy
After enthusiastically recommending Photobucket I tried tonight to post 6 images into a Wooden Boat forum and came unstuck - could someone be good enough to list the sequence required to take images from Picasa2 and post them in a forum? Thanks.

I have worked it out and am now posting images all over the place. If you just can't place images and want to be shown in terms of being intellectually six years old, (such as I found necessary) just ask and I will run through the process.

#141 Neuz

Neuz

• 159 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:41

[IMG]http://img151.images...aw034xj4.th.jpg[/IMG]

#142 Neuz

Neuz

• 159 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:43

[IMG]http://img151.images...esizecy6.th.jpg[/IMG]

#143 Neuz

Neuz

• 159 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:45

my images seem to be only thumbnails. How do I get a larger image. I am using Imageshack.

Thanks,
Rob Neuzel

#144 Neuz

Neuz

• 159 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:49

http://img247.images...0708c033pn5.jpg

#145 Neuz

Neuz

• 159 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 18:16

[IMG]http://img292.images...aw002gl6.th.jpg[/IMG]

#146 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:18

Originally posted by Neuz
my images seem to be only thumbnails. How do I get a larger image. I am using Imageshack.

Rob, it's just a matter of following the instructions...

The reason you get a thumbnail is because you clicked on 'thumbnails for forums'. Instead of that you need to scroll down below the advertisement on the page... here's the instructions posted previously:

Don't worry about anything else at all, just browse, select, type in your e.mail address and click 'host it', all of which are close to each other in this pic, shown as things appear immediately after you click on 'browse' (though I have moved the browsing window to one side for clarity, 'browse', e.mail box and 'host it' are all just to the right of the browsing window) :

Posted Image

This is the result.

Posted Image

You will notice just below that major advertisement there is a box with 'include details'... you will probably want to 'untick' that. This is immediately over a URL string which is identified on the far right by the words 'hotlink for forums (1)'. You will see that I've highlighted that in red, while the 'thumbnails for forums (1)' is highlighted in pink.

You put your cursor over that url and left click (the pic I've posted shows it at this stage, with the url string highlighted) and then right click, then you left click on 'copy' in the dialog box that appears, paste to your post. You don't need to make any other preparation with imagecodes or anything else, just paste it into your post where you want the picture to appear.

#147 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,946 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:54

You clicked on http://www.imageshack.us/ ?

It works for me. And on another subject, I think I know why some complain about getting pop-ups!

When you click on 'copy' to get the string to put into the post, be careful not to double click

Why is this? Well, once you have clicked once, the next click is right over one of the advertisements and it sends you a lovely pop-up!

See what I mean? The cursor arrow doesn't show on a screen print, but it's right there over the advertisement!

Posted Image

#148 fw07c

fw07c

• 157 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 14:03

Lets see if this works with an image http://img165.images...s1956tv3.th.jpg

#149 fw07c

fw07c

• 157 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 14:24

Originally posted by fw07c
Lets see if this works with an image http://img165.images...s1956tv3.th.jpg

How do I insert this image into the Vanwall thread on this forum? Please excuse the question as this is my first attempt

#150 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,370 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 14:46

Originally posted by fw07c
How do I insert this image into the Vanwall thread on this forum?

By typing img instead of url. Then it will look like this
Posted Image