Photo

Attention everyone: how to post your images

• Please log in to reply
379 replies to this topic

#251 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 390 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 00:45

I'd hate to be using a forum where 1mb (even 500kb) images are posted...

They would take a long time to download, especially if I'm using mobile broadband, as I am now.

Your mobile broadband must be too slow to be much use if it cant cope with 1meg max pics.

The other forum I use is on Yahoo. I am sure the relative complexity of uploading pics to TNF is a major impediment to many who would otherwise share what they have. Another impediment is the advice on copyright issues which might be reconsidered in the light of discussion elsewhere.

I know I don't pay for any of this but maybe 'management' could have a look?

Advertisement

#252 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 390 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:15

I am sure the relative complexity of uploading pics to TNF is a major impediment to many who would otherwise share what they have....

I take that back now I've spent an evening on it. It's not complex but it could be simpler. :)

#253 Gordon Graham

Gordon Graham

• 100 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 22:59

Has anybody else had problems with imageshack lately? I've posted photos on it for several years, largely without problems, but over the past week, once I've browsed, chosen the photo and clicked upload, it demands that I sign in. Then, when I put in the email and password I've always used, it tells me that this has already been taken. The same thing happens when I sign in before I try and post. In desperation I even opened a new and unwanted gmail account and tried to log into imageshack from that, but had the same result. I emailed imageshack for advice, but that was entirely useless. Very annoying, as I have an interesting shot of the Repco Holden Sports that I want to post on the Cliff Byfield thread.

#254 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,288 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:40

Has anybody else had problems with imageshack lately? I've posted photos on it for several years, largely without problems, but over the past week, once I've browsed, chosen the photo and clicked upload, it demands that I sign in. Then, when I put in the email and password I've always used, it tells me that this has already been taken. The same thing happens when I sign in before I try and post. In desperation I even opened a new and unwanted gmail account and tried to log into imageshack from that, but had the same result. I emailed imageshack for advice, but that was entirely useless. Very annoying, as I have an interesting shot of the Repco Holden Sports that I want to post on the Cliff Byfield thread.

TNFer philippe7 reported pretty much the same thing here:

http://forums.autosp...w...t&p=5519104

No guarantee it will work, but try clearing any browser cookies you have for Imageshack, especially if you have two or more browsers installed.

#255 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,001 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 20:15

I'm having no problem with Imageshack...

But I've paid the subscription.

#256 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,066 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 17:18

I'm having no problem with Imageshack...

But I've paid the subscription.

Same here Ray...

#257 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,888 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:20

Has anyone mentioned Dropbox?

Posted Image

Seemed easy enough once you have downloaded the Dropbox software. Gives you 2 Gig of free webspace with a public folder that shows up as a drive on My Computer. I would imagine the new Google Drive is similar.

#258 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,288 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:42

Good point, David. I'd never considered using Dropbox, although I've had an account for some time. Very simple to use once you've downloaded Dropbox and run through their easy tutorials.

Idiot's guide - who knows, even Richard Jenkins may be able to do this :lol:

1 Paste, drag or copy the picture into the "public folder" within the Dropbox folder on your own computer. This will automatically upload the picture to the same folder in your account on the Dropbox website.
2 Right click on the picture within the Dropbox public folder on your computer and select "Dropbox".
3 Left-click on "Copy public link".
4 Open a reply box, click on the "insert image" icon. Delete the "http://" which appears with it and then paste your link into the box and click OK. Add text as appropriate.

Random picture from my hard drive ...

Posted Image

Edited by Vitesse2, 13 September 2012 - 10:54.

#259 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,036 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:02

Or Microsoft Skydrive. I haven't tried it but you get 7GB free space.

Advertisement

#260 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,288 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 22:08

Good point, David. I'd never considered using Dropbox, although I've had an account for some time. Very simple to use once you've downloaded Dropbox and run through their easy tutorials.

Idiot's guide - who knows, even Richard Jenkins may be able to do this :lol:

1 Paste, drag or copy the picture into the "public folder" within the Dropbox folder on your own computer. This will automatically upload the picture to the same folder in your account on the Dropbox website.
2 Right click on the picture within the Dropbox public folder on your computer and select "Dropbox".
3 Left-click on "Copy public link".
4 Open a reply box, click on the "insert image" icon. Delete the "http://" which appears with it and then paste your link into the box and click OK. Add text as appropriate.

Random picture from my hard drive ...

Posted Image

Since October, Public folders are no longer created by default in new Dropbox accounts. However, you can still create one for yourself and use the above instructions. Instructions are linked from thiis page:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/16/en

#261 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 390 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:04

I have posted the following one the Website Feedback forum:

On the Nostalgia Forum my complaints about the difficulties of photo-posting have been supported by others who agree that the forum is diminished by photo- posting being so difficult.

First, there is no clear guidance; there is a 'sticky' thread but that is confusing and contradictory. There needs to be a definitive set of guidelines, not a collection of members' opinions.

Second, the guidance should cover photo-hosting sources other than ImageShack which I have found had some significant faults, at least with ImageShack Uploader.

Third, it ought to be possible to upload direct from a personal computer in a user-friendly fashion. Other sites and forums do it so why not this one?

Functionally, this place is a creaking old wagon that doesn't remotely reflect the level of wheeled technology that most users are interested in.

Can we please have some feedback and follow-up from TNF 'management'.

#262 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,001 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 14:55

Terry, have you tried just once to follow my advice?

I don't really think you'll find much that's contradictory in this thread, and opinion variation would surely be limited to which websites to use for image storage.

I believe you have a couple of problems which I have previously mentioned:

1. You resize your photos as you upload them rather than resizing prior to uploading.

2. You use the uploader.

3. You don't understand the difference between the options presented for image coding.

I have to say that I'm not sure at all how much any of these play a part because you have never once responded to any of my suggestions, nor contacted me for advice or explanation.

All I can say is, if you follow the simple steps I posted on the Mt Druitt thread the other day you will overcome your problems. If there is something that prevents you doing so, please contact me so I can guide you further.

#263 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,888 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:54

Second, the guidance should cover photo-hosting sources other than ImageShack which I have found had some significant faults, at least with ImageShack Uploader.

I think quite a number of alternatives to Imageshack have been suggested. In reality, virtually any photo hosting site can be utilised, I think. It really isn't much more complicated than getting the URL of the photo relevant to where you have downloaded it, and pasting it in the "Insert Image" thingy.

#264 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,001 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:50

I'm wondering what kind of response Terry got to his post mentioned above...

Care to tell us, Terry?

#265 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,001 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 14:50

To my great horror, I've noticed over the past couple of days that Imageshack have cheapened their service...

Some time ago, perhaps a year or two, they began shortening filenames on pics that were uploaded. They are now changing them altogether just as Tinypic do.

A small thing?

Not really. Should there be a problem and you need to locate a pic that you've previously uploaded and it's now lost, you don't have the filename to be able to find it and upload it again.

#266 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,011 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:54

Utilising Imageshack via MSN on one of my computors, I am currently entering the site's new format which keeps stalling at 0% when I am uploading images. However on my other computer when entering the site via Googlechrome, I'm presented with the original site format and have no problems uploading in the usual manner.
Three queries to Imageshack have only generated auto-responses and I have not received the promised "response within 24 hours". Does anyone here know what's going on???

#267 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 390 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:49

I'm wondering what kind of response Terry got to his post mentioned above...

Care to tell us, Terry?

One reply, one line, about how simple it was to use photobucket.

Nothing from management or anyone else 'official'.

Just like CAMS really, nobody listens to the members, nobody takes the thing forward (but that may be changing), hardly anybody knows how it works.

So just like CAMS, people give up, as I have.

#268 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 390 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:53

I think quite a number of alternatives to Imageshack have been suggested. In reality, virtually any photo hosting site can be utilised, I think. It really isn't much more complicated than getting the URL of the photo relevant to where you have downloaded it, and pasting it in the "Insert Image" thingy.

I am sure that is true in theory, and it might be useful to know more about the theory, but in practice it is fraught with problems, which is why many of us just don't bother any more.

PS I only came on here to try to help someone post some Cooper images and now I have to go back to him and tell him it is too hard for me to explain in such a way that he won't get into a tangle.

#269 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,001 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 22:05

Frankly, Terry, Imageshack is very easy...

A broad understanding of what you're doing is necessary, but if you continue to simply say you can't work it out then send the 'someone else' direct and we'll see if they can get their mind around it.

#270 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,541 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 17:19

Terry, I've just gone through uploading a picture through Imageshack, it took me a total of five mouse clicks. It can't get any easier than that, surely? And don't forget...google is your friend.

#271 john winfield

john winfield

• 1,038 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:13

I have just tried Imageshack for the first time in a long while. It seems more straightforward than I remember.....and I'm sure I'm too mean to have paid any subscription.

The one problem that I can't sort is how to post images at a reasonable size, this despite using the 'forum' option from the Imageshack dropdown list. Am I missing something obvious?

#272 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:37

You need to resize it before uploading it to Imageshack. At least that's what I do...

#273 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,444 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:01

If you haven't resized in advance, there's an 'Image Resize' drop-down menu available when you first select your photo for upload. This includes an 800 x 600 option which seems to suit TNF.

#274 john winfield

john winfield

• 1,038 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:50

David, Tim, thank you; I'll have a go. The older Imageshack uploading process may have been clumsier but must have defaulted to a suitable image size, as I have no recollection of doing any re-sizing before posting on TNF.

#275 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,001 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:53

One answer...

Download Irfanview!

#276 Julian Roberts

Julian Roberts

• 731 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 14:17

Just a test

#277 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,470 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 15:22

IMG_0898.jpg That works and is easier than the old method.

#278 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,230 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:26

I have been trying to upload a photo, using the same Imageshack method as before, but now nothing appears on my post.

Vince H.

#279 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,230 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:51

Update...I was able to upload a couple of photos using Imageshack tonight, but I had to use the edit function on the forum to make them work.

Vince H.

Advertisement

#280 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 297 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:32

Hi I am trying to post a photo on the Autosport forums for the first time today. I have signed up to image shack today & tried to follow all the post above. I have manage d to have the photo up on my new Image Shack account, but I am unable to copy it to the Autosport forums. I can't seam to copy the link and past it here like one has suggested here. Can Ray Bell or anyone please help?

I borrowed a slide scanner and have lots of old photos you will be interested in.   

Thank you

#281 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,001 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:06

My e-mail address is at the bottom of every post I make...

Send me a note and we'll work it out. More than just the posting issue, too.

#282 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 297 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:05

Thank you Ray,

I will email you in the coming days

#283 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 297 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:05

Hello Ray, I just sent a e-mail to you

#284 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,230 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:42

I just went to post a couple of photos.  Imageshack said I have to sign up.  It never did that to me before.

Vince H.

#285 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,961 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:25

I just went to post a couple of photos.  Imageshack said I have to sign up.  It never did that to me before.

Vince H.

You may not have logged on correctly Vince...try again!

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 28 November 2013 - 07:25.

#286 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,230 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:20

I'm sure what you mean by "logged on".  As I say, when I went to Imageshack in the past, I just downloaded my photos and posted them in the forum.  I didn't have to sign in.  Now it says, "Sign in Now", which I'd rather not do.

Vince H.

#287 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,288 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:12

I'm sure what you mean by "logged on".  As I say, when I went to Imageshack in the past, I just downloaded my photos and posted them in the forum.  I didn't have to sign in.  Now it says, "Sign in Now", which I'd rather not do.

Vince H.

I believe they've quietly changed their terms of service - possibly due to copyright claims on images where they couldn't trace the person who uploaded them. It used to be possible to upload pictures anonymously, but their terms now clearly state "You do not need to be registered to search or view public photos on ImageShack, however you must be a registered user of ImageShack to post."

http://imageshack.us/p/privacy/

I'd suggest using Dropbox or some other cloud-based file saving/sharing service, Vince. It offers the advantage that you control what is visible from your own hard drive - so unlike ImageShack your images can only be deleted by you.

Edited by Vitesse2, 02 December 2013 - 12:12.

#288 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 390 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:03

Frankly, Terry, Imageshack is very easy...

Hi I am trying to post a photo on the Autosport forums for the first time today. I have signed up to image shack today & tried to follow all the post above. I have manage d to have the photo up on my new Image Shack account, but I am unable to copy it to the Autosport forums ...

How's it all going folks. I don't even try to post photos here now.

But please explain the Dropbox option a bit more ... I use it for other purposes and it is lovely ... how do we use it to post on TNF?

#289 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,288 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:50

I've had my Dropbox account for some time, Terry, so I use the older 'public folder' option. If your account dates to before October 2012 then you will already have a public folder. If not, create a separate new folder in which to store images you wish to post. Add any image(s) you wish to post to that folder and wait until they have uploaded. (For those using Dropbox for the first time - you'll see the little green tick on the Dropbox logo in your system tray rotating: when it stops, it's done.)

Once you've done that, it's simplicity itself.

1 Open the Dropbox folder on your computer.

2 Navigate to the image you wish to post.

3 Right-click on it and select 'Copy public link' from the menu. This will put the URL for your image onto your clipboard.

4 Open the Autosport reply box.

5 Click on the 'Image' link.

6 Paste the URL from your clipboard into the popup and click 'OK'. The picture should now appear in your reply box and you can post it.

If anybody would like to try Dropbox - for this or any other purpose, like document storage, backups etc - please sign up via this link, which will give me some extra storage space for recommending you! https://db.tt/C1BCocnp

#290 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 390 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:55

Many thanks, Richard. I'll give it a go. Sounds like this is the way I wished it was!

#291 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 390 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:27

https://www.dropbox....f43.highres.jpg

I am afraid it didn't work.

When I right click on the image in my Dropbox folder there is no 'Copy public link' in the menu.

The nearest is Share Dropbox link.

That does provide a URL (which is above) that can be pasted into the image pop-up box exactly as stated . But when the reply is saved nothing happens except a few characters appear such as f43.highres.jpg

Edited by tsrwright, 18 December 2013 - 12:45.

#292 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,288 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:52

It sounds like you are running an older version of Dropbox, Terry. IIRC the menus changed when version 2 was released. It often doesn't auto-update, especially if you have a really old version: the current version is 2.4.10. Download the latest from here and try again!

https://www.dropbox.com/downloading

#293 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 390 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 13:12

f43.highres.jpgf43.highres.jpghttps://www.dropbox....f43.highres.jpg

Exactly the same results with v2.4.10 I am afraid.

I notice the url starts https: are we supposed to edit this?

Pity about this - something must be missing - the picture is there and is accessible so why is the image not coming up on TNF?

Seems like its the same problem as when trying to use Imageshack, Picassa etc

Must go to bed.

PS the Share Dropbox link is now the way they do it according to the Dropbox instructions.

Edited by tsrwright, 18 December 2013 - 13:14.

#294 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,042 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 13:37

I find on the right-click menu "view on dropbox.com" which I did.

Highlight the photo and right click it and select "share photo" which gives a pop-up and select "get link" which gives an address to copy.

I've done this and will now paste it into "image" here

and it says

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.

ETA the link it got was "https://www.dropbox....rf5r/daom_YLLq1"

Must be a different way to use dropbox, but it is not obvious.

Edited by Allan Lupton, 18 December 2013 - 13:40.

#295 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 390 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 13:41

f43.highres.jpg

OK DONE IT.

The Dropbox instructions quite clearly say that all the functionality of the Public Folder is provided by the new Share Dropbox link. This is clearly not the case, at least for TNF purposes

If you go to https://www.dropbox.com/help/16/en you should find the following

Creating a Public folder

Dropbox links give you everything you need to share and preview files and folders. However, if you’re just a diehard fan of Public folders, click here to enable one on your account.

Unfortunately I cannot advise how to do this as I have forgotten and as I now do have a Public folder it won't show me how to get one any more!

Once you have a Public folder you have to put the image file in there -  unles you do you TNF won't recognise it.

Once you have done that you just Right Click as Richard said, select whatever it was, paste it into the TNF image pop-up and there you go.

Edited by tsrwright, 18 December 2013 - 14:10.

#296 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 390 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 13:44

Christ save me! The image was there in the reply box and now it has gone missing when I post.

Edited by tsrwright, 18 December 2013 - 13:57.

#297 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 390 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 13:51

I went to edit, went to preview post, saved and now the picture has appeared in the message above.

I'll try another one ... and here it is but ONLY after posting, then editing, then saving!

Sacre Bleu!

Now it's gone again!

Now I've got it back again but I have to go to "Use Full Editor" then "Submit Modified Post" and that seems to do it.

I suggest this is a problem with TNF that needs to be fixed.

IMG_0530.JPG

Edited by tsrwright, 18 December 2013 - 14:13.

#298 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 390 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 14:06

Lost it again!

If you just use Save Changes the picture gets lost. If you use "Submit Modified Post" the picture seems to come up ok.

#299 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,288 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 14:08

The 'Share Dropbox link', which starts https://www.dropbox.com/ is not the one you want. That opens the picture on Dropbox itself and is really for sharing files.

The link you need should start with https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/

However, I have to confess to a small error in those instructions :blush:  When you only right-click on the picture you do indeed only get a menu which says 'Share Dropbox link' and which produces the results you've seen. What you actually need to do is left-click on it once to highlight it and then right-click! I've done it so often it's an instinctive gesture (well, that's my excuse anyway and I'm bloody well sticking to it!)

After right-clicking on the preview image, I see this:

XXX1.jpg

I left click on the line which says 'Copy public link' and then follow the instructions above from line 4. Giving me this:

Edmond.jpg

Advertisement

#300 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,288 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 14:20

The whole picture-posting thing is complicated by the fact that there are browser-specific problems. At present, the only one which seems to work without problems is Firefox.

So, revised instructions for Dropbox:

1 Open the Dropbox folder on your computer.

2 Navigate to the image you wish to post.

3 Left-click on it once to highlight it. Then right-click on it and select 'Copy public link' from the menu. This will put the URL for your image onto your clipboard.

4 Open the Autosport reply box.

5 Click on the 'Image' link.

6 Paste the URL from your clipboard into the popup and click 'OK'. The picture should now appear in your reply box and you can post it.