• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#51 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,825 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 20:37

Originally posted by se7en_24
Shall we talk about the Scottish parliament building now? :D

Border Reiver is really ahead on this: the Scottish Building cost about £400m - vastly over budget of course - and one can reasonably question its purpose, given that we English are ruled by rather a lot of Scotsmen while in a number of areas the reverse is not the case.

As for the Dome, £1000m for a TENT?? Dear God. A quite different order of crass incompetence.

Mind you, your reply did make me laugh!

PdeRL

Advertisement

#52 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,935 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 01:56

Originally posted by se7en_24
Shall we talk about the Scottish parliament building now? :D

Nobody ever mentions that overgrown Christmas Cake again!

Thats right! I'm censoring you! :D

#53 BRG

BRG

• 11,077 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 10:53

The sole reason that this daft idea has been revived is the reason that it was thought up in the first place. It is a stick for Bernie to beat Silverstone and the BRDC with. He has just trousered a massive pay-off from them to "save" the British GP, so good taste prevents even Bernie from badmouthing Silverstone for a few weeks. But talking up an alternative event in the UK does the job just as well.

All those enthusing about a London GP are being duped by the poison dwarf into doing his dirty work. Once he has finally levered Silverstone away from the BRDC and into his portfolio of ill-gotten gains - which has been his plan all along - he drop the London GP like a hot brick. And guess who will pick up the bill for any preparation work that has misguidedly been carried out? Yes, the poor old deluded British taxpayer (AKA me!).

#54 ensign14

ensign14

• 35,911 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 12:17

Originally posted by VAR1016

Border Reiver is really ahead on this: the Scottish Building cost about £400m - vastly over budget of course - and one can reasonably question its purpose, given that we English are ruled by rather a lot of Scotsmen while in a number of areas the reverse is not the case.

Worse still - the "National" Stadium. £300m more than building one somewhere else, which is what everybody but the Londoncentric bribers wanted.

#55 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,935 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 12:28

Originally posted by ensign14
Worse still - the "National" Stadium. £300m more than building one somewhere else, which is what everybody but the Londoncentric bribers wanted.

Hehe, the people who have the most to complain about are Birmingham.

The Scene: A London and Birmingham representative attend the National Stadium Commitee (based in London) to put their cases;

Commitee: Right Gentlemen, let's see what you've got.

Birmingham: Right, well, here is a financial breakdown of the budget for the project, 90% of the funding is already in place and. . . .

London: Yeh, but it isn't in London

Birmingham: Um, we've done a feasibility study and we think that we can finish the project both on time and in project, we already have land available and have begun the process of surveying it for the purpose of the build, here is the report from. . . .

London: Yeh, but it isn't in London

Birmingham: Uhhhm yes well, allied to that we feel that the project, during construction and afterwards will bring a boost to the local economy and jobs market, we intend to use local firms and this will give one of the most economically deprived areas of the country a boost in terms of . . . .

London: London's better, it has more people, and the Queen lives there!

Commitee: Well thankyou for putting your cases Gentlemen, we have decided to give the project to London.

London: Haha **** you Brummie!

#56 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,091 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 12:29

Actually the idea of a London GP was first proposed for Hyde Park in 1918,but was objected to by the police who did not think they could control the expected one million crowd!

#57 ensign14

ensign14

• 35,911 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 12:55

BR, you missed the key fact - a genuine £120m bribe paid by Sport England to the FA to secure the rights to Wembley. The FA would have had to repay it if the stadium were not at Wembley and they could not afford it. It was an entirely irrelevant consideration in the stadium debate and had BirminghamForward taken judicial review proceedings of the decision I fail to see how they could have lost.

#58 djellison

djellison

• 1,725 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 13:41

The london plans are SOMETHING like this according to Autosport about 6 months ago

http://mer.rlproject...don_circuit.gif

The southern edge run is a bit wrong I think - but I walked all the way around this autumn and some of it is interesting and exciting, some of it isnt. I cant for the LIFE of me see where they'll have runoffs in some places.

Doug

#59 nichola102

nichola102

• 365 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 14:04

Originally posted by BorderReiver

It's amazing how the only people who thing that are the one's who have never lived anywhere else. . .;) Up here we call it "the tumor".

Actually, I have spent a large amount of my life living outside of London. I was born and lived in Kent for the first 4-5 years of my life, when, yes, we moved into London. We then moved out to Berkshire when I was ten, where I stayed until I was 17, before returning to London to attend drama school. I then moved to Bristol about 9 years ago and would still be there now if it wasn't for some unfortunate personal circumstances which forced me to come 'home' to London. I also spent 9 months living in Trowbridge, Wiltshire.

I have also spent a considerable amount of time in New York, where my father lives, although I have never officially 'lived' there.

But London is, and has always been, my spiritual home, as I feel that this is where my heart truly beats.

As far as I am concerned, those of you who do not have an affinity with this nations capital and all of its wonderful history - you're just plain unlucky.

Advertisement

#60 djellison

djellison

• 1,725 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 14:10

Originally posted by nichola102
As far as I am concerned, those of you who do not have an affinity with this nations capital and all of its wonderful history - you're just plain unlucky. [/B]

Whereas many will think you unlucky to have an affinity with a dirty, congested, cramped, over priced hell hole and not with the stunning countryside this nation has to offer ;)

Doug

#61 nichola102

nichola102

• 365 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 14:10

Originally posted by BRG
And guess who will pick up the bill for any preparation work that has misguidedly been carried out? Yes, the poor old deluded British taxpayer (AKA me!).

So, You're the only person on here who pays their taxes, are you?? I think not.

The government waste enough of MY money on things that I neither want, desire, need or use. A London GP might just make up for that....

#62 nichola102

nichola102

• 365 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 14:19

Originally posted by djellison

Whereas many will think you unlucky to have an affinity with a dirty, congested, cramped, over priced hell hole and not with the stunning countryside this nation has to offer ;)

Doug

Well, that's how you see it..... If I want countryside, I only have to remember the hell I had to go through driving from Bristol to Trowbridge in mid-winter to realize that I like my roads gritted, thank you very much.

And what, pray, do you expect my two small boys to learn about the country in which they live whilst stuck in some rural backwater? Here, we have history practically in our back garden (the Cutty Sark - 2 minutes walk) and there is never a shortage of places for us to visit or things to do.

I love my new life in London, you enjoy your life wherever you are and never the twain shall meet.......

#63 angst

angst

• 7,135 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 14:31

Does anybody really take this seriously? Where exactly is it proposed these F1 cars will run? How will all the fans be shipped in, over a full race weekend without it affecting the running of the UK's financial heartland? This is nothing more, as BRG has pointed out, than a stick with which to beat the BRDC. I mean, Christ on a bike, do you really want to see F1 cars constricted through some narrow streets through a city? Much better to see them properly stretch their legs, surely?

#64 BRG

BRG

• 11,077 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 15:07

You're the only person on here who pays their taxes, are you??

No, but I AM the only one that I care about! :p

Let's fund it by subscription instead shall we? How much should I put you down for?

#65 nichola102

nichola102

• 365 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 15:20

Originally posted by BRG
No, but I AM the only one that I care about! :p

Let's fund it by subscription instead shall we? How much should I put you down for?

At last, an idea you can be proud of!

I have long thought that funding sporting events by subscription is an excellent idea. In that way, we will avoid all of the to-ing and fro-ing that is going on here. I would gladly pay up to hold a London GP, and if enough people did it, it really wouldn't be that much. At least less than MY annual taxes!!

Incidently, and this is strictly rhetorical, I cannot help wondering how many of you who totally oppose the London GP would have the scruples to actually stay away if the event takes place..... Somehow, I think the roar of those engines will pull you all in. Shame!

#66 djellison

djellison

• 1,725 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 15:54

Originally posted by angst
Christ on a bike, do you really want to see F1 cars constricted through some narrow streets through a city?

Monaco - anyone?

Doug

#67 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,935 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 16:22

Well, that's how you see it..... If I want countryside, I only have to remember the hell I had to go through driving from Bristol to Trowbridge in mid-winter to realize that I like my roads gritted, thank you very much.

The way I see it is that London is invested in at the expense of vast areas of the rest of the UK. You are aware that the London Health authoritie's budget is bigger than the entire of Scotland's and life expectancy in London is about 6 years longer across the board.

Then there are the thousands of homes being built in the South East while huge (perfectly servicable) areas of Northern Cities fall into dereliction for lack of government money.

And you wonder why people can't afford to grit their roads?

#68 BRG

BRG

• 11,077 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 16:26

I cannot help wondering how many of you who totally oppose the London GP would have the scruples to actually stay away if the event takes place.....

Strictly rhetorical or not, I am sitting within sight (well, it was before it got dark, anyway) of Buckingham Palace. I spend every week here. I doubt if I would want to pay out a fortune to come here for the weekend as well!

Street races are not usually very spectator friendly. You will be in a grandstand, and with buildings in the way, you won't get to see much. Give me the bowl at Brands Hatch any day - or even the banking at Silverstone. Better to stay at home and see it all on TV. Not that it is ever going to happen - I put the odds at slightly worse than London getting the 2012 Olympics.

#69 nichola102

nichola102

• 365 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 16:39

The way I see it is that London is invested in at the expense of vast areas of the rest of the UK. You are aware that the London Health authoritie's budget is bigger than the entire of Scotland's and life expectancy in London is about 6 years longer across the board.

Then there are the thousands of homes being built in the South East while huge (perfectly servicable) areas of Northern Cities fall into dereliction for lack of government money.

And you wonder why people can't afford to grit their roads?

I'm sure that the cities of Bath and Bristol can afford to grit their roads - the council taxes are high enough.

There is a much higher demand for housing in London and the South East than in any other parts of the country, and therefore needs the funding. Until the larger Blue Chip companies relocate out of London and the South East, this will always be the way.

I see no bearing on this and your opposition to a London GP.

#70 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,935 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 16:46

There is a much higher demand for housing in London and the South East than in any other parts of the country,

And why at route level do you think that is the case? Because the resources that could quite easily stimulate business, and civic facilities in depressed areas aren't provided, they simply go straight to London. Look at the Stadium fiasco, you have Birmingham there with EVERYTHING going for it, the works, and London get's the nod simply because it is London, no backing in place, no plans, just a superior swagger.

#71 nichola102

nichola102

• 365 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 16:57

And why at route level do you think that is the case? Because the resources that could quite easily stimulate business, and civic facilities in depressed areas aren't provided, they simply go straight to London. Look at the Stadium fiasco, you have Birmingham there with EVERYTHING going for it, the works, and London get's the nod simply because it is London, no backing in place, no plans, just a superior swagger.

Because they knocked down our historic stadium and let all the big events go to Cardiff. CARDIFF!!!! So why shouldn't London have the stadium?? Why shouldn't London have its own GP?? Why shouldn't London host the Olympics (at least it means they'll do something with the dome)??

I know, because YOU don't want us to. Well, that makes it all okay then.

#72 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,935 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 17:01

Because they knocked down our historic stadium and let all the big events go to Cardiff. CARDIFF!!!! So why shouldn't London have the stadium?? Why shouldn't London have its own GP?? Why shouldn't London host the Olympics (at least it means they'll do something with the dome)??

I know, because YOU don't want us to. Well, that makes it all okay then.

Whats wrong with Cardiff? It's not London? The people who live there have the nerve to be Welsh? Why shouldn't Birmingham have the stadium when they had done all the work?

And as for the rest of the UK wronging London, I think the reverse must be multiple by at least the power of 10.

#73 nichola102

nichola102

• 365 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 17:16

Whats wrong with Cardiff? It's not London? The people who live there have the nerve to be Welsh? Why shouldn't Birmingham have the stadium when they had done all the work?

And as for the rest of the UK wronging London, I think the reverse must be multiple by at least the power of 10.

Er, yes and YES!! :rolleyes: I think it's fine that Cardiff have a stadium, but I think that London should have one, too. Have you ever been to the Millennium Stadium? Have you inadvertantly been on a nice little shopping trip to Cardiff, only to find that you can't get home because there's some sort of big match on and the trains won't take normal people??

Quite what this has to do with a London GP is obviously going over my head. It's not my fault that Birmingham lost the stadium bid (although, in my opinion, we did deserve it), or that there may or may not be a London GP or successful Olympic bid. It's not my fault that London has economic growth and the north doesn't, so I shouldn't have to justify why it is thus.

I'm just an F1 fan who would love to see a London GP. Give me your opinons on that and I'll argue them. But being a Londoner does not make me responsible for the state of the rest of the country.

#74 ensign14

ensign14

• 35,911 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 17:50

Have you ever been to the Millennium Stadium? Have you inadvertantly been on a nice little shopping trip to Cardiff, only to find that you can't get home because there's some sort of big match on and the trains won't take normal people??

Been there twice with footy. Also been to Wembley 4 times with footy (2 x Blues, 1 x Halesowen Town, 1 x England).

Wembley is a total bastard of a place to get to. It's nowhere near a motorway, you have to crawl through on the North Circular and it takes hours to get out. Trains cannot cope with the capacity. Cardiff is much better for that.

And if you're an England fan in, say, Manchester, Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Sheffield, Leeds, Liverpool or Bradford you can forget seeing England play at Wembley without an overnight stay. Putting the stadium in Birmingham (or Coventry) would have been a lot more convenient without inconveniencing London (1 hour 10 by train to the NEC).

And the London bid did not include a running track, which was supposedly a requirement of a bid succeeding.

But of course the idiot "Government" did not want to upset their rich friends who wanted corporate boxes. Hence the new Wembley will have 20,000 fewer seats for the plebs than the Birmingham bid - and fewer than it had before.

If being a Brummie were considered to be a racial minority, Bliar would be considered the most racist Prime Minister in recent history.

And I love London. It's crazy though that everything has to go there. That's the only reason why prices are so high there; the best lawyers need to be near the House of Lords, the best bankers near the City...

#75 nichola102

nichola102

• 365 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 07:17

And why shouldn't 'everything' go in/to London?? It's the capital city!!! We must be one of the worlds most underequipped capitals.

I also draw your attention to the 2002 FA Cup Final - Arsenal v Chelsea. Where was the logic in holding that in Cardiff? Because it was the only stadium in the UK. Surely a London stadium would have been a much better place for an all London match, instead of all those poor fans trekking up to Cardiff on a two-line railway. I lived in Bristol then, and I bought my children down to London for the day - knowing that Bristol would not escape unscathed from the fans passing through - and I saw those fans packed onto trains worse than anything I've ever see on the Northern Line at 5pm on a Friday.

And there was so much trouble, with all the fans coming from the same direction at the same time. If there ever was a reason to build a stadium in London, that was it.

#76 mel

mel
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,853 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:48

Please remember to keep your discussions on topic, about racing.

Thanks,

-mel

#77 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,935 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:15

And why shouldn't 'everything' go in/to London?? It's the capital city!!!

Sorry mel, last word on the subject I promise.

But the above quote is exactly what really angers the rest of the UK. As for London being under-equipped perhaps he'd like to try and find his amenities in Newcastle or Glasgow or Sheffield or . . . . .

#78 ensign14

ensign14

• 35,911 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:27

I also draw your attention to the 2002 FA Cup Final - Arsenal v Chelsea. Where was the logic in holding that in Cardiff?

Same logic as holding any final involving Liverpool, Everton, Man Utd, Middlesbrough, Bolton, Vile, Tranmere, Newcastle, Leeds, Leicester, Blackburn and even the Blues - all of whom have reached major finals in the last 10 years - in London. (Not even mentioning the play-offs.)

One of the arguments I have against the British GP in Brands is that it is far too difficult for most people to get to in the UK; it would be quicker from Belgium. A London GP paradoxically would not have that problem cos it should be possible to get there by train. I've no real objection to a London GP, although I still think it should be around the M25 with the pit lane at a service station. Imagine the prospects - "and Schumacher loses 8 seconds in the Dartford Tunnel trying to find a fiver".

#79 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,935 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:35

Will the racetrack still exist South Of The River after 10pm?

Advertisement

#80 BRG

BRG

• 11,077 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:39

If everyone is so keen on having a street race in a more central location, why not just revive the Birmingham Superprix? The legislation permitting road closure in Birmingham is still valid (whereas for London. it needs a new Act of Parliament) and the city is about as central as you can get.

And if the centre of Birmingham was closed down for a few days, no-one would care. It wouldn't cost any lost business as we know that everyone north of Watford is on the dole. :p

#81 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,935 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:46

I was at the Birmingham Superprix (the first year of the two it was run IIRC), I can remember the weather was awful and someone (their name escapes me for the moment) had an appalling accident.

Interestingly there was something recently about reviving it for GP2 or Superfund.

#82 nichola102

nichola102

• 365 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:47

Originally posted by BRG
If everyone is so keen on having a street race in a more central location, why not just revive the Birmingham Superprix? The legislation permitting road closure in Birmingham is still valid (whereas for London. it needs a new Act of Parliament) and the city is about as central as you can get.

And if the centre of Birmingham was closed down for a few days, no-one would care. It wouldn't cost any lost business as we know that everyone north of Watford is on the dole. :p

But the whole point of the plans in place for a London GP is that there wouldn't neccessarily BE any road closures. If the race were held in a park, who would it be disrupting?? And the shops in Regent Street did a roaring trade on the day of the parade - especially Tesco Metro and the little coffee shop that I was outside.

Monaco seems to manage perfectly well - and let's not forget that it's roughly the same size as the City of London (1 square mile). Why can't the same principles work here??

#83 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,935 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:53

But the whole point of the plans in place for a London GP is that there wouldn't neccessarily BE any road closures. If the race were held in a park, who would it be disrupting?? And the shops in Regent Street did a roaring trade on the day of the parade - especially Tesco Metro and the little coffee shop that I was outside.

Monaco seems to manage perfectly well - and let's not forget that it's roughly the same size as the City of London (1 square mile). Why can't the same principles work here??

Monaco isn't a world financial centre in the same way London, New York or Tokyo are.

There used to be a London race circuit based in a park. You all complained about the noise and shut it down.

#84 Marcel Schot

Marcel Schot

• 5,459 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 10:56

Because eventhough the size may be the same, the population/workforce is nowhere near London's. Lets see this from a realistic viewpoint and conclude that no matter the fact that it would look fantastic and London is a great city, it's simple very impractical to hold a Grand Prix there.

Even the Docklands would cause problems with the number of big businesses there. It's been a very long time since there was a successful Grand Prix actually in a city. In these days of business priority it just isn't an idea that works anymore.

#85 ensign14

ensign14

• 35,911 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 11:02

Originally posted by BRG
If everyone is so keen on having a street race in a more central location, why not just revive the Birmingham Superprix?

It would be lethal for F1. The circuit would be well too bumpy and far too fast; one of the anomalies of the SuperPrix circuit is that it was a speed freak circuit, the only really fast street circuit. They're pushing for an August Bank Holiday BTCC race, which would be decent.

Think the big shunt was Eric Cheli.

BR - there's an idea. The Crystal Palace GP...

#86 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,935 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 11:05

Originally posted by ensign14

Think the big shunt was Eric Cheli.

Thats the guy. Sorry for forgetting your name Mr Cheli, it was a big one.

#87 BRG

BRG

• 11,077 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 11:40

If the race were held in a park, who would it be disrupting??

So now we are talking about effectively building a brand-new GP track in a London park?

And where is the money for the construction coming from, considering that the UK could barely stump up enough to buy-off Bernie and be allowed to have the British GP? From the government - that's really going to happen isn't?

#88 TigerEyes

TigerEyes

• 67 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 13:52

A race in London sounds impressive, but as BRG rightly says, the legislation to close streets in Birmingham is still on the statute books... And there have been rumours that the Brum Super GP may be re-started..

Any other midlands posters heard of this?

#89 BorderReiver

BorderReiver

• 9,935 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 15:01

Originally posted by TigerEyes
A race in London sounds impressive, but as BRG rightly says, the legislation to close streets in Birmingham is still on the statute books... And there have been rumours that the Brum Super GP may be re-started..

Any other midlands posters heard of this?

I'm not in the Midlands (went to uni there thought), but I did read an article somewhere (where exactly escapes me) that they are thinking about starting it up again.

#90 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,545 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 21:51

The only reason Bernie was talking to Ken Livingstone was to put additional pressure on Silverstone.

A London Gran Prix is highly unlikely, let's face it the cost of running a Gran Prix Team is horrendous when you then have to add in the Congestion Charges - FORGET IT!!! :rotfl:

#91 nichola102

nichola102

• 365 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 23:03

Originally posted by Stephen W
The only reason Bernie was talking to Ken Livingstone was to put additional pressure on Silverstone.

A London Gran Prix is highly unlikely, let's face it the cost of running a Gran Prix Team is horrendous when you then have to add in the Congestion Charges - FORGET IT!!! :rotfl:

Nice to see everyone taking it so seriously. IF a London GP were to take place, I fully expect to see a thread on here about how disgusted you all are and how wild horses couldn't drag you there.....

#92 917k

• 2,559 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 23:23

Nice to see everyone taking it so seriously. IF a London GP were to take place, I fully expect to see a thread on here about how disgusted you all are and how wild horses couldn't drag you there.....

You are shopping in the wrong store,Nichola.Although this BB has[perhaps]the most informed and knowledgeable posters around,there is a rampant negativity towards many issue's that currently dog F1.
Nothing wrong with balance and levelheadedness,but sometimes this place seems swamped with more anti-fans than actual fans.

#93 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,545 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:15

I suspect the reason there is so much negativity about the proposed London Grand Prix is the massive hike there would be in the cost of a ticket. :cry:

However there would be some benefits - lower travelling costs, abundant accomodation just a tube ride away, plenty of resturants, pubs, clubs etc. :love:

Finally if there was to be a Grand Prix away from Silverstone then I would prefer it to be at either Donington Park or Brands Hatch. At least we would get a race and not another procession. :cool:

#94 BRG

BRG

• 11,077 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:27

Originally posted by 917k
You are shopping in the wrong store,Nichola.

Personally, it is all this rampant optimism that I find depressing.

We pessimists are much more grounded - we are rarely shocked when things go wrong because we knew they would, but sometimes we get lovely surprises when things go right for once. Whereas all you poor optimists must suffer repeated disappointments.

#95 nichola102

nichola102

• 365 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:36

Originally posted by BRG
Personally, it is all this rampant optimism that I find depressing.

We pessimists are much more grounded - we are rarely shocked when things go wrong because we knew they would, but sometimes we get lovely surprises when things go right for once. Whereas all you poor optimists must suffer repeated disappointments.

Nothing wrong with a bit of optimism!! There's so much that's wrong and depressing, why not be optimistic at even the slimmist chance that something nice may happen.

And I haven't been in to motor-racing quite as long as some of you guys - give me a few more seasons and I must just be as grumpy and cynical as the rest of you. ;)

#96 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,785 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 15:53

Nah, I'm sure the majority of those that think it unlikely would love to see it happen, but just can't see how it can. It would be a great thing to see, but a bit like all four Beatles back on stage together, for a slightly less likely example.

#97 Andy Davies

Andy Davies

• 172 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 16:27

If they were to run a GP around the Hyde Park area I reckon it would have minimal impact on most London business (particularly the financial companies as they're further east).

Tube (and some of the train stations) might be a bit of a nightmare but it's within walking distance of Paddington, Victoria and several other mainline stations.

Great idea me thinks.

#98 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,091 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:46

Bad news on this project.Seems it is off. Todays Daily Express is reporting Ken has decided to buy the Tour de France (Velo) instead,for £1.5M, less apparently than Bernie was asking for an F1 race.

#99 xenna

xenna

• 334 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 13:44

Originally posted by Rob29
Bad news on this project.Seems it is off. Todays Daily Express is reporting Ken has decided to buy the Tour de France (Velo) instead,for £1.5M, less apparently than Bernie was asking for an F1 race.

Better I must admit....Imagine having F1 cars racing in roads that two minis wouldn't dream of racing on.

Advertisement

#100 le chat noir

le chat noir

• 4,273 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 14:13

What is the Velo??

I think a race around Hyde Park would be fantastic.
Its definitly a good course and I think minis would be fine racing it.

But I understood it wouldn't happen until after 2012 now anyway. And that would include F1 parades as well.

So if he has this Velo now, could London still be on for 2015 - IF Bernie is still around. Ken certainly won't be.

Wait to see this thread dug up in another 9 years then....