Photo

Chimay racers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hugo Boecker

Hugo Boecker

• 702 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 09:44

Doing some research on the Veritas theme I found a lot of names, which I know very few. Most of them started in Chimay.

First of all there was Marcel Masuy , a Belgien ex sidecar racer. In one season his passenger was Dennis Jenkinson.

Roger Gerbout it is not quite clear if he was a Belgian or French.

Rene Thomas de Gilly did his one and only Chimay race in 1955 This was the same year Ray Mallock found his way to Chimay. Mallock was entered with his Veritas at Brands Hatch. But there was no more to find about his Veritas adventure.

In the Monacco Sportscar GP in 1952 Jean Heurtaux drove a BMW-Veritas and finished 15th in the 2 litre class. He later owned a Jaguar C-typ.

And there appeared George de Kando , - a Belgian ? He started with a Sieta in some races but often was a Non-Starter with his Veritas.

Can anyone give some information about the persons or the history of the cars.
It would be great to hear from you.

So long

Advertisement

#2 Hugo Boecker

Hugo Boecker

• 702 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 10:29

Originally posted by Hugo Boecker
This was the same year Ray Mallock found his way to Chimay. Mallock was entered with his Veritas at Brands Hatch. But there was no more to find about his Veritas adventure.

ooopps of course it was Arthur Mallock, ray's father.

#3 GIGLEUX

GIGLEUX

• 1,519 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 20:37

Robert Gerbout was French born the 3rd of March 1903, died? He was an industrialist, owner of a little factory making springs. He began racing with a pre-war Lombard bored out to 1500cc. After that he built his own Special, a monplace always with the Lombard engine boring it to the maximum of possibilities at 1850cc. At last he replaced the Lombard engine by a BMW 328 unit. In the middle of the fifties he raced a Veritas and after that a 1500 sports racing Maserati which was said to be the one with which J.Behra won the 1955 500km of Nurburgring.

#4 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 22:13

Is this the same Arthur Mallock?

I understood that whilst in the army he built a trials special. He then built another that he also raced. And then he went on to build the U2. I don't see where an outing in a veritas fits into the story.

Just wondering, I haven't read his biography so I don't know for certain.

#5 Hugo Boecker

Hugo Boecker

• 702 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 09:48

Originally posted by D-Type
Is this the same Arthur Mallock?

I understood that whilst in the army he built a trials special. He then built another that he also raced. And then he went on to build the U2. I don't see where an outing in a veritas fits into the story.

Just wondering, I haven't read his biography so I don't know for certain.

Yes it's Major Arthur mallock from U2

so long

#6 Hugo Boecker

Hugo Boecker

• 702 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 18:41

I've just got the information that Marcel Masuy died at a race at Senegallia in 1955 or 1956 in a sidecar race.
Can anyone confirm this and has some additional Informations about this man.

#7 Muzza

Muzza

• 802 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 21:48

Dear Hugo,

Jean-Louis Mathieu sent me some interesting contemporary documents on Jean Heurteaux a while ago - I will forward them to you by e-mail.

Cheers,

Muzza

#8 Hugo Boecker

Hugo Boecker

• 702 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 23:56

Originally posted by Muzza
Dear Hugo,

Jean-Louis Mathieu sent me some interesting contemporary documents on Jean Heurteaux a while ago - I will forward them to you by e-mail.

Cheers,

Muzza

:clap: Thank you

#9 Muzza

Muzza

• 802 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 00:22

Hello, Hugo,

I sent you three e-mails with documents about Heurteaux gathered by Jean-Louis Mathieu.

About Masuy, Pier Paolo Garagnani found in the 02 August 1955 edition of the newspaper Le Monde that he was indeed killed in a sidecar accident in a race in Senigallia (a city in the province of Ancona), Italy. The accident happened on 31 July 1955 and Masuy died that same day.

Regards,

Muzza