Photo

AAA Sprint Cars, 1955

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 m.tanney

m.tanney

• 342 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 01:19

I have a few questions, the answers to which may help in identifying the cars and drivers in some negatives I've been looking at:
  Bob Sweikert was the AAA's Midwest sprint car champion in 1955. Who was he driving for? Was it Zink? Did Sweikert drive in any of the Eastern races?
  Who was the driver of the Travelon Trailers car that year? Did it carry the number 26?
  Was there a number 32 car in the AAA Sprint series that year and, if so, who was it's driver?

Any information or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Advertisement

#2 Phil Harms

Phil Harms

• 76 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 13:26

Originally posted by m.tanney
  I have a few questions, the answers to which may help in identifying the cars and drivers in some negatives I've been looking at:
  Bob Sweikert was the AAA's Midwest sprint car champion in 1955. Who was he driving for? Was it Zink? Did Sweikert drive in any of the Eastern races?
  Who was the driver of the Travelon Trailers car that year? Did it carry the number 26?
  Was there a number 32 car in the AAA Sprint series that year and, if so, who was it's driver?

Any information or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Bob Sweikert drove his own #5 Offy in 1955. He drove in two Eastern races, winning at Heidelberg, close to Pittsburgh.

I have no record of a Travelon Trailer sprint car in 1955, but there may very well have been one.
Edgar Elder drive the #72 Travelon dirt car in champ races that year --- Ernie Ruiz, as always, was the car owner. I believe Ruiz was a Northwest owner (maybe Portland?) so it is logical that he may have run the Calif-Oregon-Washington tracks, which did not hold AAA races.

I have record of the #32 Glessner sprint car running several reaces on the Eastern 1955 circuit. Drivers seem to be Jiggs Peters and Steve Yanagan that year. The 1955 AAA Yearbook was rather slim that year, with no car owner data.

#3 Richard Bendell

Richard Bendell

• 4 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 23:43

Bob Sweikert drove his own #5 Offy in 1955. He drove in two Eastern races, winning at Heidelberg, close to Pittsburgh.

I have no record of a Travelon Trailer sprint car in 1955, but there may very well have been one.
Edgar Elder drive the #72 Travelon dirt car in champ races that year --- Ernie Ruiz, as always, was the car owner. I believe Ruiz was a Northwest owner (maybe Portland?) so it is logical that he may have run the Calif-Oregon-Washington tracks, which did not hold AAA races.

I have record of the #32 Glessner sprint car running several reaces on the Eastern 1955 circuit. Drivers seem to be Jiggs Peters and Steve Yanagan that year. The 1955 AAA Yearbook was rather slim that year, with no car owner data.

I currently am restoring the Ernie Ruiz / Stan Vermiel sprint car.
Stan , who owned the car from 1960 to 2000, the second owner, informed me that the car was built for Ernie by George Shilala in 1955 with a 220 Offy and re engined with a Chevvy in 1957/8. When Stan purchased the car he could not afford the Chev. and bought it without engine. He then fitted o 270 Offy and raced it at Calistoga up until 1976 when he retired the car, it remained in storage until I purchased it and have re fitted a 283 Chevvy.
The car is currently under complete restoration, not that much serious work is needed,
I would appreciate any information/photos about the car when owned by Ernie Ruiz