Photo

Whence Mercedes-Benz tartan?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 11:28

A friend of mine is restoring an extremely rare prototype Mercedes-Benz sports/racing car from the 1950's. I spent a little time with him a few days ago and upon asking about the progress of the project, he informed me (excitedly) that it was fairly close to the point of installing interior fixtures and fitting, including the newly reupholstered seats. The seats are going to be upholstered in Mercedes-Benz tartan, specifically, the Moss "blue accent" variety.

The picture below is from the delicious Mercedes-Benz Classic Collection 2004 catalogue. Posted Image

Hmm. Some questions arise at this point. First of all, my friend is acquiring the fabric from M-B in Germany; they still make it available as upholstery fabric. He further informs me that it is available in four versions:

Blue Accent - Moss.
Red Accent - Fangio?
Green Accent - Kling?
Cream Accent - Herrman?

Before posting this thread I checked in the TNF archive to see if we had discussed the origins of M-B tartan and discovered that Eric McLoughlin asked the same question in early 2000, but had received no response.

So perhaps now, it might perhaps be worth trying again. What were the reasons for Mercedes-Benz adopting tartan for their racing cars? Are the accents described above correct? Which drivers were assigned which colour accents?

And when did it start? I have a copy of the 2 volume Lehbrink/Schlegelmilch book "Mercedes" (Könemann 1997) which shows a 1952 300SL (W194) with tartan upholstery. I also have Bill Boddy's book "The History of Motor Racing" which shows a W196R with upholstery that is distinctly not tartan. I cannot tell whether that picture is contemporary or not.

Presumably, Mercedes-Benz tartan finished with the withdrawal of the company from racing at the end of 1955.

So ... anybody?

Advertisement

#2 Ian Stewart

Ian Stewart

• 258 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 13:42

Originally posted by Vanwall

First of all, my friend is acquiring the fabric from M-B in Germany; they still make it available as upholstery fabric.

For restoration/replacement purposes in classic and competition cars? Have they a quantity left over from the original stock? If so you would think it would be a little fragile by now. More probably it's woven to order as required.

Corduroy and tartan were both popular in the '50s, and maybe Mercedes simply liked the idea of tartan and followed the trend.

I had a 300SL Gullwing in 1957 with the blue version, and (to my shame) I thoroughly disliked it and had the seats re-covered in my mother's tartan, Hunting Macpherson. Looked a treat!

Seriously though, failing any info from Mercedes, could your friend contact Stirling in the hope that he might shed some light on the question?

:)

#3 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,995 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 14:10

Originally posted by Ian Stewart
I thoroughly disliked it and had the seats re-covered in my mother's tartan, Hunting Macpherson. Looked a treat!

Poor Macpherson... :(

#4 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 14:44

I thought that Mercedes gave their competition cars checked upholstery to establish a link with the production cars, which used similar upholstery.

I very much doubt that in period each driver would have had his own pattern. This sounds more like a gimmick worked up by the marketing people - I would guess that they had a range of trims and retrospectively named them after the drivers. A bit like the Austin/Morris paint colour 'Connaught Green'.

I have deliberately not used the term 'tartan' as these fabrics would not have been registered tartans but checks similar to 'Burberry Check' which was the pattern used for the lining of their raincoats before it became a 'fashion' pattern.

#5 Ian Stewart

Ian Stewart

• 258 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 18:07

Originally posted by ensign14
Poor Macpherson

He must have got away...

): otherwise no mum ):

#6 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 03:49

Originally posted by Ian Stewart

For restoration/replacement purposes in classic and competition cars? Have they a quantity left over from the original stock? If so you would think it would be a little fragile by now. More probably it's woven to order as required.

It's not leftovers. It can be ordered new from Mercedes-Benz in upholstery grade fabric. The pattern is also available with a range of retro gift/mercandising items. Eg.

Posted Image

#7 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,460 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 04:04

Originally posted by D-Type
I thought that Mercedes gave their competition cars checked upholstery to establish a link with the production cars, which used similar upholstery.

I stand to be corrected but I have looked in several serious books on M-B history and do not recall the pattern appearing on the company's road cars, unless the 1952 300SL is considered a road car. I have seen a picture of the 1955 production gullwing with tartan pholstery but I do not believe they left the factory thus equipped.

Originally posted by D-Type I very much doubt that in period each driver would have had his own pattern.

Sounds unlikely to me too. My source for that assertion was the gent wot's restoring the fifties Benz and he is not known (in this town, or in the Stuttgart Museum) for playing fast and loose with Mercedes authenticity.

So, I'm still interested if anyone knows more about Mercedes-Benz and tartanesque upholstery.

#8 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 16:59

Ian :) I thought your car was a 1955 model :)....can't find the pic which showed off your nicer Hunting Macpherson upholstery, but I know I've seen it :D

Posted Image

#9 Ian Stewart

Ian Stewart

• 258 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 00:06

This is a very ancient photo, but it shows the tartan. The original Mercedes check was identical to the example shown in Vanwall's photograph at the top of the page, and was definitely the ex-factory standard for Gullwings in 1955. It wasn't ideal to the eye of someone used to 'quieter' tartans. I could have used Stewart of Appin, but the Macpherson colours were far better (I would prefer woad to Royal Stewart)!

Posted Image

#10 Mike Riedner

Mike Riedner

• 49 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 16:35

Maybe we all can get a pretty good idea of how Hunting MacPherson look like here:

http://www.scotlands...oderntartan.php

Mike

#11 Ian Stewart

Ian Stewart

• 258 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 17:23

Sorry, I didn't realise my photo hadn't worked! Re-done it, but the quality is very poor. Thanks for the excellent illustration Mike.

The car (ex Rob Walker) was definitely turned out with the standard Mercedes check and blue vinyl, as shown in Vanwall's photographs, and no doubt suited Rob Walker's favourite blue.

The respray was a great success, but looked far better with Macpherson tartan.

#12 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 20:14

Originally posted by D-Type

I very much doubt that in period each driver would have had his own pattern. This sounds more like a gimmick worked up by the marketing people - I would guess that they had a range of trims and retrospectively named them after the drivers. A bit like the Austin/Morris paint colour 'Connaught Green'.

I have deliberately not used the term 'tartan' as these fabrics would not have been registered tartans but checks similar to 'Burberry Check' which was the pattern used for the lining of their raincoats before it became a 'fashion' pattern.

while Ian Stewart asks: 'Seriously though, failing any info from Mercedes, could your friend contact Stirling in the hope that he might shed some light on the question?'

I know it's a little late to be re-opening this thread, but in case anyone remains at all interested, I just have (asked Stirling Moss). It was actually in connection with another thread on SLR paint schemes currently running (D-Type referred me to this one).

Here is the, presumably definitive, answer on the driver checks question from Stirling Moss himself, should - as I say - anyone still be remotely interested:

'AS FAR AS THE CHECKS ARE CONCERNED, WE DID HAVE DIFFERENT ONES AND MINE WAS BLUE, JUAN'S WAS A SORT OF MAROON/RED, KARL'S PROBABLY GREEN (MINE SHOULD HAVE BEEN GREEN FOR ENGLAND!) AND HANS I DON'T REALLY REMEMBER, BUT A SORT OF PUTTY/CREAM IS LIKELY.