The 'Suggestion Box'

• Please log in to reply
643 replies to this topic

#501 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,042 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:48

All the historical threads seem to have no messages to display anymore. I wanted to look into something, did a seach and although it said how many messages were in a thread, when I clicked on it, it was blank. Has our archive been wiped?

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=149215

:wave:

I did send Hack a PM asking for the thread to be duplicated here ...

Advertisement

#502 rallen

rallen

• 545 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:50

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=149215

:wave:

I did send Hack a PM asking for the thread to be duplicated here ...

Oh brilliant, thanks Vitesse2! really appreciate that :up:

#503 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 18:46

I wondered if it might be useful to post the autosport.com definition of 'The Nostalgia Forum'

A forum dedicated to the research, study, discussion, and just plain ol' talking about the history of motor sports. Questions are always welcomed; variety is encouraged. If you have an interest in the history of motor sports, this is the place to be!

Is that what we have?

#504 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,013 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:14

I wondered if it might be useful to post the autosport.com definition of 'The Nostalgia Forum'

A forum dedicated to the research, study, discussion, and just plain ol' talking about the history of motor sports. Questions are always welcomed; variety is encouraged. If you have an interest in the history of motor sports, this is the place to be!

Is that what we have?

I think the answer is self-evident. There are posts that fit the definition but they are dominated by what was once a small number of posts which do not. We are living in the past, I am told, and the majority must be right, but it would be good to find a home for the original concept.

#505 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:25

Perhaps the moderators would consider setting up a sub-forum for the purpose?

#506 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,230 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:21

Perhaps the moderators would consider setting up a sub-forum for the purpose?

The TNF Historical Society?

#507 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,999 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:42

The TNF Historical Society?

The Real TNF? (I would suggest a secret handshake in order to gain entry......)  ;)

Edited by Giraffe, 24 September 2011 - 13:31.

#508 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 23:23

To those proposing this idea, which I certainly don't dismiss, please send me your measured argument (for want of a better word!) and I will investigate.

It seems a totally plausible cause to me, and I shall push it forward as such - providing I can add some weight to it.

#509 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:33

Thanks for your support, Twinny

I'll assemble my thoughts and either email you (if I can find your address) or send a PM

Edited by David McKinney, 26 September 2011 - 06:33.

#510 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:55

Wouldn't this be the place to discuss before turning suggestions to the moderators ?

#511 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,230 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:20

To those proposing this idea, which I certainly don't dismiss, please send me your measured argument (for want of a better word!) and I will investigate.

It seems a totally plausible cause to me, and I shall push it forward as such - providing I can add some weight to it.

Dear Twinny et al.
I assume we are discussing the suggestion of a sub-forum, and not that of editing posts?

David and I were discussing this subject (Whither TNF) recently - among many others - during a pleasant evening so I think I know in some small measure where he is coming from. It had been my intention this morning to come here and ask you, Twinny, to consider starting a thread to discuss this very subject: 'What do you want from TNF?' in the open forum since - Bjorn's suggestion not withstanding - I am not sure everyone regularly visits these Stickies. (I would not presume to start such a thread myself - not least because I would immediatley be violating one of the rules of Forum etiquette the disregard for which has been so recently lamented.)

I with great pleasure discovered TNF in about 1999, at the same time I discovered the Revival and the fact that there were others like me with no or little interest in modern Formula 1 but with abiding interest in motor racing as it was. I am not an historian (how well to I recall an early DMcK reprimand to another poster: 'just because you know an historian does not make you one yourself'). One of the things that I most liked was the warm welcome I received and the way in which my modest and somewhat superficial recollections (the 'plain ol' talking about' of the founding principles cited by David) were treated with respect.

Later, like so many, I became very saddened at the antagonism and personal attacks that began to appear. The 'fluff' doesn't bother me so much although like most people, I suppose, I quickly grow very tired of having to listen to in-jokes and banter by cliques of which I am not a member.

My own view is that TNF is - or should be - like a club. People belong for different reasons, some social, some serious, but there should be room for both.

If everyone treated the Forum in this way and never said anything in print that they would not say in person and in the bar of their 'club' to a fellow member and with others present the Forum would be a happier, more welcoming place. And if in that club a member spoke to another in the way in which some speak in TNF, they would be thrown out. So should it be in TNF.

Perhaps, then, there would be no need for a separate sub-forum solely reserved for the archivists and researchers: all could live happily side-by-side.

After all, the fluffiest and yet most popular (to judge by longevity and number of posters) thread on the forum has absolutely nothing to do with motor racing, historic or otherwise, and yet was started by the member who, by common consent, appears to be the most respected archivist and historian of us (you? - I only know historians) all.

I hope this is a) helpful and b) not too long.

Edited by Mal9444, 26 September 2011 - 08:25.

#512 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:57

Perhaps, then, there would be no need for a separate sub-forum solely reserved for the archivists and researchers: all could live happily side-by-side.

Thanks for your thoughts, Malcolm

The above suggestion would still allow threads devoted to subjects the more serious researchers at present have to wade through to find the odd gem - notably the various "photographs from" threads. I'm not suggesting they and other non-specific threads should cease, but rather that they are separated out from the more serious threads. And the easiest way to do that is to leave TNF as it is, but introduce a sub-forum for other matters

#513 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,042 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 15:35

Speaking from a wholly personal (and selfish!) point of view - can I suggest a "pre-1945" sub-forum, which could effectively split off a large number of serious research threads and put them all in one place, while also admitting ones like the ERA thread. :)

Any date is of course arbitrary, but January 1st 1945 is (IMHO) the only date where you can draw a definite "before and after" line.

#514 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 21:25

It had been my intention this morning to come here and ask you, Twinny, to consider starting a thread to discuss this very subject: 'What do you want from TNF?' in the open forum

Thanks for your considered input, but unfortunately discussing how the BB is operated and moderated - within any forum - is strictly prohibited by the BB rules!

I shall hopefully be able to update everyone shortly, meanwhile (with a blind eye turned to the above statement) all suggestions can be forwarded to me via PM.

:up:

#515 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,174 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 21:33

Is one problem simply that that many mysteries have been gone through and the remainder seem to be either genuinely insoluble or of no interest? An advantage of self-publishing and so on is that stories that might have been considered peripheral, e.g. Cliff Allison's autobiography or the Alfa Romeo 1970s prototypes and so on have books about them. In one sense, TNF pure may have done its job.

#516 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 17:09

The new sub-forum, Historical Research, has been set-up and will be populated with appropriate threads in the course of the next few days.

At present it is only visible to moderators, but as soon as it has some content aboard it will 'go public'!

#517 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,046 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 21:28

It will take the wisdom of Solomon to decide what to move and what to leave.

But I think it's a good move. It will hopefully help stem the trend for the "fluff", banter and juvenile humour to find its way into the more serious threads. I won't point a finger at anyone as I realise I'll be pointing 3 at myself!

#518 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,013 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 23:56

What is going to happen to the valuable archive of information that is TNF? I can't believe that anybody is going to wade through twelve years of threads and decide what belongs in the Historical Sub-forum. Does this mean that the archive will be split as it once was? Will newcomers who are urged to search before posting now be expected to search two forums?

Approximately what proportion of current threads can we expect to be moved? Will we know if a thread is deemed insufficiently trivial for the main forum?

#519 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:54

Roger , you may be too late with your doubts , look at post 509 ! I my self would have like to point out a couple of "things" and omitted it . Now we'll have to see what Twinny comes up with , but I am sure HE will not go through the files to pick what to move. I believe it will be up to us all along the way , and then we could merge say all the the threads on "something" if wanted . Depending on the total use of this forum you'll see how quick it will fill. But I believe it to be a very good idea to have the YEAR or MAKE name or DRIVER name or a GRAND PRIX name etc. at the head of a thread to easier find them , and relieve the search machine of showing 267 threads with a "name" in the future ?

Edited by Bjørn Kjer, 30 September 2011 - 13:22.

Advertisement

#520 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:25

It will take the wisdom of Solomon to decide what to move and what to leave.

Hopefully it won't be quite that difficult, Duncan! David McKinney will be my able assistant on the new forum, so the judgement as to which threads are deemed fitting will be largely down to him.

Having said that I would encourage suggestions, as always.

What is going to happen to the valuable archive of information that is TNF?

Nothing - why would it? The Historical Research sub-forum is still integral to TNF.

I can't believe that anybody is going to wade through twelve years of threads and decide what belongs in the Historical Sub-forum.

Correct! HR will initially be largely populated by appropriate threads which have seen recent activity. Then, over time, additional threads which are befitting will be moved across as and when they come back to light. Hopefully new threads will be started too.

Does this mean that the archive will be split as it once was?

Only in the sense that some threads will henceforth be placed in a more appropriate environment.

Will newcomers who are urged to search before posting now be expected to search two forums?

This would appear to highlight a lack of appreciation of what the search facility is capable of.

When you first click on 'Search' at the top-right of the page you are presented with the basic search option. If, however, you click on the 'More Search Options' link you are taken to a full page offering more filters. On the drop-down menu on the left-hand side you can select the area you wish the search to operate in. By selecting TNF your search will automatically incorporate searching the TNF sub-fora (or 'child forums' as they are described) because that is its default setting.

Hopefully that clears-up any concerns regarding the availability of sourcing content, be it now or in the future.

Finally I'd like to highlight something Malcolm mentioned;

My own view is that TNF is - or should be - like a club. People belong for different reasons, some social, some serious, but there should be room for both.

If everyone treated the Forum in this way and never said anything in print that they would not say in person and in the bar of their 'club' to a fellow member and with others present the Forum would be a happier, more welcoming place. And if in that club a member spoke to another in the way in which some speak in TNF, they would be thrown out. So should it be in TNF.

I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment and am disappointed to hear that standards appear to have dropped recently.

As has always been the case, I would encourage all members to alert me to instances of inappropriate behaviour and/or attitude seen anywhere under the TNF umbrella. I can't read every post, every day - but if I'm alerted to such instances I will certainly deal with them.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I think all will become a little clearer once Historical Research goes live, which will be in the next few days.

#521 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,013 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 22:13

I thought we were going to get a situation that we had a few years ago when there was a separate TNF Archive forum. It seems that was unfounded as long as the "Search in child folders when any sub category is chosen" option remains selected. I still regret the move and the way it's been implemented.

#522 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 23:30

Roger, I simply can't understand your concerns!

Back in 2004 when I was made host, the very first thing I did - on day one - was to get the archive unlocked. It has remained thus ever since.

The whole idea of the new sub-forum is to allow certain topics to develop in a 'fluff-free' environment in the hope that those within the TNF membership who are more serious about undertaking research can do so without fear of unnecessary distractions.

That's it! The threads will remain readily accessible to all, albeit in a place situated just above the 'stickies'.

#523 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,013 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:44

Your previous post had largely set my mind at rest regarding access to the archive.

I am still confused about the criteria for moving a thread to the sub-forum. We can get some idea from the recent threads marked as moved. I had thought there would be more; I still think there will be more candidates when new threads are opened. Many start with serious intent before the serious content is exhausted and thread drift takes over. The main forum will become even more of a social networking site if such threads are moved to the sub-forum when they are opened.

The real solution is to have a much stronger moderation policy, both over behaviour and over the direction of threads. Threads which have nothing to do with the purpose of TNF can be fun for a while but they can grow to dominate. I know that my views over what is an appropriate thread and what constitutes unacceptable behaviour may not match that of the majority here.

My main concern is the way this has been implemented without any discussion by the members. Bjørn had the right idea about this, although I disagree with him about other things. You have said many times that the board rules forbid discussion about such things. It is a Bad Rule. You have also likened TNF to a club. A club which doesn't involve its members in open discussion about its policies, structures and processes is not a healthy place.

Despite all this, I wish the proponents of the new sub-forum well and hope they achieve their objectives.

#524 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,156 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:40

The whole idea of the new sub-forum is to allow certain topics to develop in a 'fluff-free' environment in the hope that those within the TNF membership who are more serious about undertaking research can do so without fear of unnecessary distractions.

I have seen plenty of threads which were of a serious research nature, eventually become populated with "fluff" and supposed comedic responses. How is having a sub forum going to eliminate those who feel the need to make plays on wording and become jokesters in the course of a serious dicussion?

#525 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 14:06

I can put up 50 questions with ease , but that is not the this is going to be tried out. Let us wait and see what the 2 competent mates come up with , I am sure there will be some kind of introduction with some "rules" , but dear members it is also to a high note up to you to keep threads clean of fluff and silly remarks !

To Roger , please write me about aggree or not. Mind you , I do not get the words out I'd like to , but accept the conditions and will await with eagerness.

Let us leave this Sub-Forum to start and develop a bit to see how it goes , and remember this is not done in 24 hours , neither are removing threads !

#526 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,360 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 15:46

Wouldn't it more appropriate to put the fluffy stuff into a sub-forum (maybe called "Small Talk") and keep the main forum for historical research?

#527 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,046 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 16:34

I have seen plenty of threads which were of a serious research nature, eventually become populated with "fluff" and supposed comedic responses. How is having a sub forum going to eliminate those who feel the need to make plays on wording and become jokesters in the course of a serious dicussion?

A valid point. The answer is stronger moderation, which will be practicable in a subforum titled "Historical research" without attracting protests of censorship and "I have a right to my opinion and to express it".
Before condemning the idea out of hand let's see how it evolves.

#528 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 17:08

If the sub-forum works they way I hope, non-specific posts will be removed from Historical Research threads and put into the main forum (where they will presumably drop off the page rather quickly)

#529 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,175 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 12:48

I don't like the sound of this at all. I really can't see it working in the way the protagonists hope, and I hope my sig isn't a terrible warning of what might happen.

#530 richardspringett

richardspringett

• 157 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 13:23

I have posted very little but do derive much pleasure from reading others` posts. And I guess I have some say because I pay my dues.

I, personally dislike the idea of sub-forii - from experience of an audio forum that died when it went from one single posting area to multiple - I advise caution....the rewards of TNF is often derived in the most unexpected places!

Now seeing anew the extent of the division of TNF posts I am totally against the idea. It needs rethinking.

Richard

edit; added last sentence

Edited by richardspringett, 02 October 2011 - 14:12.

#531 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,042 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 15:52

Richard - if I can put a contrary view: on August 1st I posted a query about Delahaye importer Count Heyden. Admittedly probably something of interest to few people apart from me, but I'd exhausted all my sources and found bugger all. It dropped off the front page within two days and currently languishes on page 11, with no responses. A question like that has far more chance of staying near the top and garnering answers if it doesn't have to compete with Blood Pressure, Driven to Drink, Digital Reconstruction of Meadowdale and Does Sebastian Vettel remind you of anyone from the past?

The Motorcycle and Collectables sub-fora seem to be prospering: it's my impression that there is far more activity there now that the threads are concentrated in one place.

I'd still like to see a pre-1945 section too, on the grounds that those of us who care about "that old stuff" could concentrate on it and it wouldn't "get in the way" of those who don't care about it! After all, wasn't that the point of the Motorcycle and Collectables fora?

#532 MCS

MCS

• 3,539 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 16:01

Richard - if I can put a contrary view: on August 1st I posted a query about Delahaye importer Count Heyden. Admittedly probably something of interest to few people apart from me, but I'd exhausted all my sources and found bugger all. It dropped off the front page within two days and currently languishes on page 11, with no responses. A question like that has far more chance of staying near the top and garnering answers if it doesn't have to compete with Blood Pressure, Driven to Drink, Digital Reconstruction of Meadowdale and Does Sebastian Vettel remind you of anyone from the past?

The Motorcycle and Collectables sub-fora seem to be prospering: it's my impression that there is far more activity there now that the threads are concentrated in one place.

I'd still like to see a pre-1945 section too, on the grounds that those of us who care about "that old stuff" could concentrate on it and it wouldn't "get in the way" of those who don't care about it! After all, wasn't that the point of the Motorcycle and Collectables fora?

Makes sense to me - I'm with you V2 (and the other advocates). Looking forward to it.

#533 richardspringett

richardspringett

• 157 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 21:16

Hi Vitesse2

Thank you for that kind and courteous post regarding the addition of a sub-forum.

Firstly, I admit I was confused with `fluff` within a post and a post itself. I would not wish to dilute the ability of our collective minds to help in focussing on a subject.

Solely, in my weak defense, I was concerned a second forum, not instantly brought up and therefore not readily seen, may diminish any response. However, your example clearly proves me wrong, regretfully Count Heyden is now page 14...

May I just suggest though, a proliferation of sub-forum may/will reduce that effectiveness that we all seek.

Richard

#534 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,042 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 22:03

Hi Vitesse2

Thank you for that kind and courteous post regarding the addition of a sub-forum.

Firstly, I admit I was confused with `fluff` within a post and a post itself. I would not wish to dilute the ability of our collective minds to help in focussing on a subject.

Solely, in my weak defense, I was concerned a second forum, not instantly brought up and therefore not readily seen, may diminish any response. However, your example clearly proves me wrong, regretfully Count Heyden is now page 14...

May I just suggest though, a proliferation of sub-forum may/will reduce that effectiveness that we all seek.

Richard

Have a look here: very active WW2 forum with sub-fora galore, so essentially dealing with just six or seven years. 23K members of whom about 3-4K are considered "active" (which I think means they've posted within the past 6 months). Lots of people turn up, ask their question and then leave, but there's a core of 300-400 very active members - mostly dedicated and specialist researchers, the vast majority British. Average 200 posts a day.

http://ww2talk.com/forum/

#535 richardspringett

richardspringett

• 157 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 22:14

Ok! I am prepared to be converted - my experience was purely the Apogee forum. Perhaps, obviously, the scale is different....

But nevertheless, you are changing the nature of TNF - which maybe not a bad thing - but it will be different? Or am I mistaken?

Richard

edit;added last line

Edited by richardspringett, 02 October 2011 - 22:41.

#536 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,886 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 17:22

A valid point. The answer is stronger moderation, which will be practicable in a subforum titled "Historical research" without attracting protests of censorship and "I have a right to my opinion and to express it".
Before condemning the idea out of hand let's see how it evolves.

I agree Duncan. If this can be the area which is more strongly moderated, and leave the fluff mostly to it's own devices, this has to be a good idea. And if an important topic doesn't drop off the bottom in a few hours as in the case is the main forum these days, all the better.

Edited by David Beard, 03 October 2011 - 17:23.

#537 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,999 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 18:17

I agree Duncan. If this can be the area which is more strongly moderated, and leave the fluff mostly to it's own devices, this has to be a good idea. And if an important topic doesn't drop off the bottom in a few hours as in the case is the main forum these days, all the better.

Some might be a little surprised that I agree both with Duncan and David. It's a good idea that deserves to be given a chance. Whilst I'm all in favour of an element of good humour , "Blood Pressure syndrome" has started spreading like the flu in recent times..... I hope it's a success for those concerned, even if the result is no more returning the main forum to a more stable condition. :up:

Edited by Giraffe, 03 October 2011 - 18:17.

#538 richardspringett

richardspringett

• 157 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 22:43

I accept totally the majority view but somehow feel uncomfortable about how this change was achieved.

I am an insignificant cog in this wheel but others found the sudden movement of threads disconcerting.....

A major attraction of TNF is the total randomness of threads which lead - for the total amateur - into areas of pure enjoyment. Of course, in no way can I contribute to the discussion, but the enjoyment to a subscriber is significant.

Of course sub forums allow deeper discussion, which for those in need is all important, others, like me, if there are any, with a superficial interest in all aspects of motor sports - and prepared to contribute where they can - I am not sure the proposed/acted changes are beneficial.

I write this with trepidation because it`s only one person`s feeling without rancour.

Richard

#539 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,066 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 18:02

I accept totally the majority view but somehow feel uncomfortable about how this change was achieved.
Richard

I don't remember it being a majority view..
.... it was more a fait accompli for me. :confused:
Rob

Advertisement

#540 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 18:50

The question was raised, in this thread, on 24 September. Members had eight days between then and the sub-forum going live to air their views - majority, minority and other :)

#541 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 6,013 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 19:05

The question was raised, in this thread, on 24 September. Members had eight days between then and the sub-forum going live to air their views - majority, minority and other :)

There was considerably less time between the suggestion being raised and Twin Window's announcement that it was going ahead. I don't think that his postings on this thread be construed as welcoming debate on the subject.

#542 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 19:39

How in the world is the thread "The greatest thread of all time - ever" not fluff, yet it is now in the Historical Research subforum?

#543 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 21:12

It - and a similar one - are there because they summarise what TNF has achieved over the years

#544 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 21:22

Enough.

I can't remember losing my temper on this forum and I don't intend doing so now. But I'm close.

Out of those who've posted on this thread recently, very few have taken a stance which I would consider to be of a 'broad perspective'. Something has changed, and so for them the world would seem to have stopped spinning. "Why wasn't I consulted?" appears to be a popular comment. How about putting yourself in my shoes for a minute then, and imagine trying to keep hundreds of people happy all of the time? In reality it's simply not possible. Its an unpaid role too, don't forget; and an almost entirely thankless task at that (the occasional exceptions are always appreciated).

Forgotten that? And before some smart-arse comes back with "nobody makes you do it" I shall just say that for the vast and overriding proportion of the last seven years I have enjoyed it greatly, in spite of some of the tougher moments over the years.

So, regardless of the fact that discussing the fora and the moderation thereof is in direct contravention of the BB rules - WHICH I DID NOT WRITE, BUT NEVERTHELESS HAVE TO ABIDE BY AND THEREFORE, BY DEFINITION, IMPLEMENT - I get the impression that a vocal element here on this thread want to see less broadmindedness and more of an iron rod. So be it.

'Blood pressure!' Gone.

'Driven to drink' Gone

'Does Sebastian Vettel remind you...?' Gone.

Etc.

So from now on if you want a gripe about daily life you can go to the Paddock Club. Should you wish to discuss the merits of a current driver versus those who went before him there's always RC. Have fun, won't you.

For those unable to grasp exactly why the new sub-forum was created (some would say it's blatantly obvious), it was in order to keep a firmer grip on the 'fluff factor' within the appropriate threads so that more serious research could be facilitated. And so it shall be.

Some members appear to be unable to fathom the search facility provided herein. It's very simple; try clicking on some of the links provided and you'll soon see.

The motto of this post should be 'be careful of what you wish for'.

#545 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,668 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 21:48

Well said, Stuart.
(And thanks for 'binning' Blood Pressure.)

#546 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,999 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:24

Well said, Stuart.
(And thanks for 'binning' Blood Pressure.)

Sad that it should come to this, but almost inevitable and surely for the greater good. You have my full support Stuart. :up:

#547 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,032 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:40

Let me just say that I think you have probably created in the Historical Research subforum what some of us thought the Nostalgia Forum was, and was supposed to be. Perhaps Don Capps will be back if he hears of it!
I've contributed to some of the "fluff" jobs of course, as I hope I'm not without humour, but on the other hand I have found it necessary to defend myself and my colleagues from unprovoked attack by someone who misrepresented the facts concerned - although I was involved and he was not.
The other thing we'll get away from is endless treads about modern "historic" racing which, as we learned from a now inactive forumist, is more or less what we remember as ModSports.

#548 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:09

Perhaps Don Capps will be back if he hears of it!

Hardly, as he has been banned for life (and not by me either).

...but on the other hand I have found it necessary to defend myself and my colleagues from unprovoked attack by someone who misrepresented the facts concerned - although I was involved and he was not.

As I've said before, I want members to let me know about such instances as I can't read every post every day. Such behaviour will not be tolerated.

#549 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,046 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:36

Nothing to do with the new sub-forum - I endorse the decision whole-heartedly :up:

On a totally different issue: I find it slightly irritating when people announce the death of minor players in separate thread rather than in the "Mentioned in Passing" thread. Given the nature of the post and the motivation of the poster it is churlish to make any comment. Can I suggest giving such threads a week or so and if they attract fewer than, say, 10 responses then merge them into "Mentioned in Passing".

Edited by D-Type, 06 October 2011 - 21:28.

#550 Option1

Option1

• 13,119 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:39

Wouldn't it more appropriate to put the fluffy stuff into a sub-forum (maybe called "Small Talk") and keep the main forum for historical research?

I must admit that I agree with that view. Having said that, I just wanted to say thanks to Twinny for taking such steps in the right direction towards giving us back TNF as opposed to Paddock Club for Old Fellas. :) :up:

Neil