Photo

The 'Suggestion Box'

• Please log in to reply
643 replies to this topic

#551 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,876 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:29

I hadn't seen Twinny's explosion but have just been referred to it from another thread.,

Well said Stu! In a forum this large there are bound to be things that some of us don't like and while we should be entitled to bicker and moan, you are also entitled to ignore the childishness and stamp out the sillier threads. It's a pity Don has been banned for life because the new forum would have been a great opportunity for him to quit TNF again.

Whatever you need to do, you'll have my complete support.

And thank you for your seven years service in this role.

Advertisement

#552 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 18:34

Stuart,
Regarding the Historical Research sub-forum -- thanks for this elegant and reasonable approach to a trend that has, for me, been reducing the value & raison d'être of TNF.

Mark
Carpinteria, CA
- - -

#553 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:39

With the latest 2 threads on Siffert , I think he is leading with 22 to Donohues 21 ! Cant anything be done about this. Searching so many pages for the same man ? No wonder people dont use the "Search" , they kill it themselves , or am I being out of order , unpolite , naughty, nosy or whatever ?

PS. Nothing personal , neither HeskethBoy or any other , this is GENERAL.

Edited by Bjrn Kjer, 24 October 2011 - 06:46.

#554 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,049 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 13:07

Bjorn,
Admittedly there is a duplication of "Remember Jo Siffert" and "Jo Siffert"threads, but several of the other threads relate to specific queries and would not sit well in a "Jo Siffere remembered" thread. I am thinking of threads like the one relating to borrowing Graham Hill's visor, questions about specific races, questions about his relationship with Rodriguez, etc.
I agree that people should use the "Search" facility first. But it does not automatically follow that it is inappropriate to start a new thread. I would also like to see people say "I have used the 'Search' button but this doesn't fit on any of the threads it found."

When we come across a case where we feel the poster should have added to an existing thread, I think we should follow Tim Murray's approach and post a link to the appropriate thread rather than just say "Have you used the 'Search' facility?". I know - this is rather a case of "Do as I say and not as I do!".
If we eport the post we should give Twinny the URL of the thread to merge it with to save him having to do a further search.

If this is a real problem, rather than just an irritation, maybe it would be worth adding something on the "Announcements" sticky as it is unusual for a forum to have a 10-year archive accessible and it is unusual to have previously covered so many questions.

Edited by D-Type, 28 October 2011 - 13:28.

#555 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,374 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 15:26

Agreed absolutely, Duncan. I think that if we did end up amalgamating every thread with 'Siffert' (or whoever) in its title into one thread, we would end up with one giant unwieldy thread that would put anyone off trying to find out about a particular aspect that might previously have been covered in its own separate thread. I'm sure there is scope for some thread amalgamation (and Twinny will always act on sensible suggestions), but not on a wholesale willy-nilly basis.

#556 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 14:15

I do not agree on this view , I prefer to get what I search for , not searching in the search area , lots of pages for lots of small threads with the Siffert (as an example) name in the headlines , and then afterwards search on for the same name in all other threads where it is not in the head line. I'd prefer any thread to start with the main object , then followed by what ever is the content , this way the lacking of a real search machine is overcome by a huge margin . There are hundreds and hundreds of threads here with no real indication as to what it is , except racing , and add all those threads which usually changes as they "develop"...........so in the end you could say I go for 1 big thread that I can split up myself. This way the total number of repeat threads would also be highly reduced.

#557 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,049 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 16:05

I do not agree on this view , I prefer to get what I search for , not searching in the search area , lots of pages for lots of small threads with the Siffert (as an example) name in the headlines , and then afterwards search on for the same name in all other threads where it is not in the head line. I'd prefer any thread to start with the main object , then followed by what ever is the content , this way the lacking of a real search machine is overcome by a huge margin . There are hundreds and hundreds of threads here with no real indication as to what it is , except racing , and add all those threads which usually changes as they "develop"...........so in the end you could say I go for 1 big thread that I can split up myself. This way the total number of repeat threads would also be highly reduced.

Do you mean like THIS?
A post saying "Today, 43 years ago, Hill clinched his second title in Mexico." being added to a thread about identifying a Graham Hill picture.

Edit: Link corrected

Edited by D-Type, 03 November 2011 - 19:34.

#558 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,040 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 17:46

more like THIS?
A post saying "Today, 43 years ago, Hill clinched his second title in Mexico." being added to a thread about identifying a Graham Hill picture.

#559 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 19:27

You are picking one example out of the whole concept ! But to answer frankly . YES! At least I would not have to search more than once , and I can sort out myself !

Advertisement

#560 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,066 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 17:29

Is it possible to get the forum software fixed so that it will recognise non-English characters correctly in the Memberlist and Login screen?

Bjørn Kjer has just bought a new PC, so has obviously lost his auto-login to TNF.

When he types Bjørn Kjer as username and his correct password the login box it is rejected - 'this username is incorrect/invalid'.

Looking in the Member list, and at his posts, the ø has been replaced by some stupid character and this is the root of his problem (I think).

Until this is fixed, or we find a 'work-around' Bjørn can't login and so can't post... a crazy situation or a long time member.

Hopefully

Rob

Edited by Rob Ryder, 18 November 2011 - 17:30.

#561 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 18:06

I'm told only one-word user names are now accepted, though that shouldn't stop an existing member re-signing. Perhaps the system only recognises the incorrect characters in his old user name?

#562 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,225 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 18:14

This has been a problem since the serious crashes back in June. It might be worth bunging a PM to Hack to see what the situation is: http://forums.autosp...w...t&p=5117529

A possible workaround might be to change character encoding in the login screen from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1 and then trying to login. If that works then, depending on the browser's cookie settings, it ought to create a working login cookie.

In Firefox you change the page encoding in the Web Developer menu, but I've no idea how to (or if you can) do it in other browsers.

#563 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,876 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 18:31

I'm told only one-word user names are now accepted

I sincerely hope that is not the case. Surely we should be encouraging posters to use their real names instead of using pseudonyms and not many people have one-word names (ok, Lulu, Plato and Madonna but none of them are likely to post here).

#564 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,040 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 18:31

I'm told only one-word user names are now accepted, though that shouldn't stop an existing member re-signing.

If we who prefer to use our own names and haven't joined the teenager's silly usernames club are not to be allowed to act as adults in future, I see the end of civilisation as we knew it. . . .

#565 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,066 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 19:28

I'm told only one-word user names are now accepted, though that shouldn't stop an existing member re-signing. Perhaps the system only recognises the incorrect characters in his old user name?

As I said David, Bjørn had no problem until he replaced his PC and needed to log-in again.
The strange thing is that it seems normal forum posts handle all of the special characters without this problem :confused:
Rob

#566 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,066 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 19:29

I sincerely hope that is not the case. Surely we should be encouraging posters to use their real names instead of using pseudonyms and not many people have one-word names (ok, Lulu, Plato and Madonna but none of them are likely to post here).

Jason....

#567 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 19:51

I experienced this myself the other day when trying reply to him but put it down to my browser being fussy.

I'll have a word and see what can be done by the tech bods. Can someone provide me with Bjorn's email addy please?

#568 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,066 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 20:15

I experienced this myself the other day when trying reply to him but put it down to my browser being fussy.

I'll have a word and see what can be done by the tech bods. Can someone provide me with Bjorn's email addy please?

Sent you a PM Stuart...

#569 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 22:30

If we who prefer to use our own names and haven't joined the teenager's silly usernames club are not to be allowed to act as adults in future, I see the end of civilisation as we knew it. . . .

My understanding - and I stress that I'm not an expert - is that if you were joining us for the first time today, you'd have to be allanlupton (or maybe AllanLupton would work)

#570 Option1

Option1

• 13,209 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 21:35

As would most likely Allan_Lupton.

It's really not the end of the world, and surely there are bigger issues in both TNF and life in general worth getting worked up over.

Neil

#571 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,066 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 23:20

As would most likely Allan_Lupton.

It's really not the end of the world, and surely there are bigger issues in both TNF and life in general worth getting worked up over.

Neil

Not the end of the world... unless you are the poor sod who can't login :rolleyes:

It is not a radical change that is being requested.. just a bu fix.
Rob

#572 Option1

Option1

• 13,209 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 17:22

Rob, I wasn't referring to Bjorn's issue, just the change to one word usernames for new users.

Neil

#573 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 19:13

Bjorn's log-in problem has hopefully been fixed.

These latest issues are as a result of the database problems which occurred earlier this year. The tech team are aware of the situation and advise me that it will require major maintenance to fully rectify.

This will necessitate a lengthy forum shut-down which will take place once the season is over.

#574 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 20:14

The nostalgia season is never over :lol:

#575 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 20:32

The nostalgia season is never over :lol:

Ah, but it used to be...

#576 rallen

rallen

• 545 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 13:02

How about we have an Obituary thread/memorial thread or RIP thread? There are lots of threads that are about people who have just died, can we keep it all in one place like the book thread?

#577 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 15:17

The easiest way would be for you to open a thread , could call it "RIP" and explain why , in your first mail ?

#578 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 20:08

"RIP" is predominantly - though not exclusively - used by members of the Roman Catholic faith, and not by Protestant religions or, as far as I know, by Jews, Moslems, Hindus or atheists

I have never used it myself, and never will

#579 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,049 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 22:04

How about we have an Obituary thread/memorial thread or RIP thread? There are lots of threads that are about people who have just died, can we keep it all in one place like the book thread?

We have one - it's called "Mentioned in Passing". But the trouble is that if every death were added there then the thread would become huge. Looking at recent announcements, for example the thread announcing Peter Gethin's death has 120 posts. Perhaps the answer is to follow Ten-Tenths lead and have a separate sub-forum for tributes. Maybe allow the announcement threads to stay on the main forum for a week or ten days to get the necessary exposure then move them to the "Tributes" sub-forum.

While on the subject, I wish people wouldn't announce a death with a thread that simply says a person's name. If we see one, can we all advise Twinny when a thread appears and ask him to rename it as "~ has passed away" or "~ RIP". If " ~ RIP" is not acceptable can someone suggest the best phrasing?

Advertisement

#580 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,040 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 23:10

While on the subject, I wish people wouldn't announce a death with a thread that simply says a person's name. If we see one, can we all advise Twinny when a thread appears and ask him to rename it as "~ has passed away" or "~ RIP". If " ~ RIP" is not acceptable can someone suggest the best phrasing?

What's wrong with "has died"?

#581 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,370 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 21:52

I inserted links to TNF's memorial threads (since 2006) into my Gone, but not forgotten... thread. If you spot more threads that should be linked please send me a PM.

#582 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,049 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 22:17

Sorry, Reinhard, I overlooked "Gone, but not forgotten" when I posted earlier. I had it in mind, but found "Mentioned in passing" first

#583 rallen

rallen

• 545 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 19:37

Just a quick mention but I have noticed recently when I make a post/comment - it always posts it twice! never done this before so I assume there is a glitch?

#584 rallen

rallen

• 545 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:09

Can we ban people who call for other peoples thread's to be closed? or at least have them given a warning? I know there are a lot of threads on here that can be classed as 'fluff' or just 'humourous' and some with seemingly nothing to do with motor racing, but I have had at least three threads where members have asked for it to be closed. It isn't their right and in all instances I had not fully got the answer I was looking for.

I always make sure my threads are well labeled and actually relevent to the boards, I don't see why people always seek to shut down other peoples enjoyment or stop the sharing of knowledge. If they don't like a thread or are not interested they should ignore it.

#585 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 13:56

If they don't like a thread or are not interested they should ignore it.

That seems to be the attitude you should adopt towards the people you're complaining about
I agree it's annoying, and sometimes rude, but I don't think a ban is the answer

#586 rallen

rallen

• 545 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 14:11

That seems to be the attitude you should adopt towards the people you're complaining about
I agree it's annoying, and sometimes rude, but I don't think a ban is the answer

Yeah, sorry was a bit narked and unreasonable, it just bothered me and I was worried Mod's would be pressured into closing threads that should otherwise stay open.

#587 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 14:26

I agree with David, and maybe we should remember that this is TNF, and not RC. You have to do something fairly extreme to get a ban from this place, almost everyone behaves themselves well almost all the time, and I'm sure we all hope that's the way things will remain, requesting a ban because you don't agree with another member's posting or opinions isn't very gentlemanly. On the thread that's being referred to here though, was it really necessary in the first place? This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but there's a perfectly adequate search function on here, though a few seem reluctant to use it. I've just checked, and there are no less than 27 relevant James Hunt threads already in existence. While there has been some interesting stuff emerging in this latest one, I can't think that there's anything that hasn't appeared here several times before in all those others. I think it's admirable that those too young to have experienced events at first hand want to find out more on the sport's history, having been astonished on a regular basis by some of the deep ignorance that is paraded almost daily on RC, I'd like to see a lot more of it, but they shouldn't rush to start a new thread when the questions they asked have already been answered several times before.

#588 rallen

rallen

• 545 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 14:44

yes yes I retract my ban comment - I was tired and emotional OK! rahter embarrased about it now :|

Regarding the thread I started on James Hunt though - I always use the search facility - daily in fact as its the best way to spend my lunch hour, just reading old threads. However despite James coming up a lot in the search I didn't find what I was looking for, I wanted to be specific and not just stories about his parties or Patrese. I know it's not good manners to start threads.

Anyway sorry about that!

#589 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 15:06

yes yes I retract my ban comment - I was tired and emotional OK! rahter embarrased about it now :|

Anyway sorry about that!

Posted like a (relatively young) gentleman.

#590 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,228 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:16

Is there any way we can "ban" that guy that keeps telling me, "Congratulations, you've won!"

Vince H.

#591 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,049 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:51

Is there any way we can "ban" that guy that keeps telling me, "Congratulations, you've won!"

Vince H.

I've never seen that (at least not on TNF). If it is a problem report it to the moderators. It helps to explain what the issue is. The moderator can then decide whether to take action - personal message > formal warning > temporary ban > permanent ban

#592 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:47

Vince H.

I suspect that this an Internet Explorer problem. Try switching to Firefox, I haven't seen a single pop-up in years.

#593 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:23

Me neither (on Safari)

(Wish I was :lol: )

#594 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,225 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:39

I've never seen that (at least not on TNF). If it is a problem report it to the moderators. It helps to explain what the issue is. The moderator can then decide whether to take action - personal message > formal warning > temporary ban > permanent ban

You wouldn't, Duncan. Adverts are served up according to your IP address. As Vince is in the US it will be an American ad.

There's a long-running thread in the feedback forum about adverts, but the ultimate answer is always going to be that the adverts pay part of the cost of running the site.

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=156696

If you don't want adverts, it's up to you to do something about it. Don't shoot the messenger.

Jim did say that pop-up ads were not Autosport policy a while back, but equally I don't think they necessarily have "hands-on control" as the advertising is contracted out:

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=155074

Firefox or Chrome + AdBlockPlus with carefully selected blocking subscriptions, together with various tracking cookie killers, will give you an easier, faster and less intrusive internet experience. Except when accessing this site from a public computer - when I never log in - I never see any adverts on Autosport.com.

#595 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 18:36

<Assumes an offensively defensive posture>
Can we ban people who abuse apostrophe's? Wrinkle's my brow and sometime's induce's fit's of giggle's. Nows a good time for ban's.
</...posture>

#596 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 19:18

Can we ban people who abuse apostrophe's?

I agree wholeheartedly, but this is taking us back into Blood Pressure territory.

#597 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 19:32

OOPS!

Did I say that out loud?

#598 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,228 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:44

I suspect that this an Internet Explorer problem. Try switching to Firefox, I haven't seen a single pop-up in years.

Sorry, I presumed everyone was seeing the flashing sign in the upper right hand corner which said something like "No kidding- You are the 100,000th visitor" (every day!), and hearing the voice that I mentioned. I am on Safari. And I am not in the U.S., I am in Canada. But for the last couple of days, there has been a photo of a Polynesian sunset, which is fine with me.

Vince H.

#599 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,876 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:01

Sorry, I presumed everyone was seeing the flashing sign in the upper right hand corner which said something like "No kidding- You are the 100,000th visitor" (every day!) ...

No, just a big empty red rectangle for me. I use Chrome but it's the same in Opera, Firefox and even IE8. I use Kasperskey Internet Security 2012 which has an "anti-banner" option which is enabled as standard. I switched that off and refreshed (in Opera), and an advert for zipcar appeared in the previously empty red rectangle. I switched it back on, refreshed, and the advert vanished again.

So it's not your browser that's at fault Vince, it's your internet security software.

Advertisement

#600 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 16:22

There's probably a simple answer to this, but I'm having problems with the Search function. When I've used this in the past, the word or phrase I type into the box appears highlighted in all the resulting threads that come up, but now that no longer happens. It can be tedious searching through long threads for something like a name, when it's necessary to scan every line, has something changed, or have I un-ticked something by mistake?