Photo

The 'Suggestion Box'

• Please log in to reply
643 replies to this topic

#51 brooster51

brooster51

• 210 posts

Posted 27 October 2004 - 13:31

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who contribute and also maintain this and the other threads. The depth and breadth of the knowledge exhibited by most of you is beyond description. The photographs are great and make me very envious when I realize you had to be there to have taken them. The end result has been many hours of very pleasurable viewing and reading on my part.

Advertisement

#52 VWV

VWV

• 279 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 00:03

I would like to request a "sticky" thread at the top for folks to post usefull or interesting URL's that would be of interest to the TNF so that we can all share the resources of the net and cut down on "easy or simple" questions that are posted to the forum. The Technical forum has a sticky thread with links to technical articles or papers. Think of it as the TNF library were members can do basic research before posing questions to the forum.

#53 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,699 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 01:47

VWV,

To help you and others that might want similar sources, there is the Links Directory with many great URL's in there. It can be found in the upper-right menu area on each forum page. Also, there is the Search BB feature - often overlooked, in the same corner.

#54 VWV

VWV

• 279 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 02:17

:blush: Wow, after lurking for 2 years I'm still learning about Atlas, I never saw it. Thanks Richard. I guess I couldn't see the forest because of the trees.

I know about the search feature, I use it all the time. I call it the time machine because when I'm looking for something, time usually flies by.......

#55 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,699 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 02:23

No Problem... If you should come across a website you think worthy of TNF, just email / PM Sally or Slick with the URL and eventually it will be added to the collection.

;)

#56 MCS

MCS

• 3,549 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 21:03

Originally posted by VWV
:blush: Wow, after lurking for 2 years I'm still learning about Atlas, I never saw it. Thanks Richard. I guess I couldn't see the forest because of the trees.

I know about the search feature, I use it all the time. I call it the time machine because when I'm looking for something, time usually flies by.......

VWV, you are not alone...ahem :blush:

I too regularly use the Search facility, but have never once clicked on the Links Directory (until now!!!)

I wonder how many more of us there are ? :

Mark

P.S. Thanks Richard :up:

#57 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 21:06

Well, there was me too...

#58 MCS

MCS

• 3,549 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 21:09

Originally posted by Twin Window
Well, there was me too...

So that's where everybody is to-night :rotfl:

We're all looking at the links :eek:

Mark

#59 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 21:11

Actually I'm thread-trawling (up to page 203!)

And earlier today I was thinking to myself that the 'Suggestion Box' isn't really being used as intended. And here I am, suggesting absolutely bugger all in it myself! Hey-ho...

Advertisement

#60 MCS

MCS

• 3,549 posts

Posted 28 October 2004 - 21:22

"thread trawling" :confused:

Sounds like a medieval pastime ;)

By the way, knew there was something I needed to ask you. Where do get your invisible ink from? :lol:

Mark

#61 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,268 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 15:06

This isn't specifically a TNF request, but I suspect the primary use would be on TNF. Posters often bemoan the fact that, especially on English-language keyboards, it is difficult to produce accented letters with cedillas, graves, acutes, umlauts etc. I occasionally visit a military history BB called Axis History: when posting a reply there, the reply screen includes a small box containing (in that case) umlauted versions of the letters E, A and U, plus the German symbol for the double S. These can just be copied and pasted into your reply: would this be possible to replicate here? There's plenty of blank background space on the reply screen next to the smilies :)

German, French and Spanish accented letters would do for starters, but there might be a demand for others like Czech.

#62 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 15:55

... or Japanese! Posted Image

#63 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 15:57

Joke!

#64 panzani

panzani

• 18,672 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 16:27

When I need the few special characters I can not type using my Brazilian keyboard I use the Windows' tool called 'Character Map'. It is on mine Accessories>>System Tools but I guess it can be elsewhere on other computers...

I hope this helps.

#65 panzani

panzani

• 18,672 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 16:40

‚΂¢‚³‚¤‚¥

Fines,
Regarding the Japanese -- and other non-latin alphabets -- Microsoft has the IME tools. They can be downloaded using Windows Update, I guess.
But you have to use them changing the page encoding while typing AND the reader must change the page encoding while reading.
This post contains Kanji and Hiragana characters -- you just have to change its page encoding to Japanese Auto or Japanese Shift-JIS.
It works on my machine, please let me know if works on yours.

#66 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 16:52

Yes, I can read it (but for the last character - is it a Kanji?):

Baisau... - what does it mean?

#67 panzani

panzani

• 18,672 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 16:56

I hope I did not write bad words whilst typing at random... :rotfl:

#68 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 16:58

Oh, never mind, found out myself: it's a small Hiragana "e", thus we get "Baisaue" - presumably nonsensical!?

#69 panzani

panzani

• 18,672 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 17:04

‚킽‚µ ‚¨–Ú‚É ‚ ‚È‚½ ‚¤‚ꂵ!

Better?

#70 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 17:08

Anyway, and to stop this rather unwanted interlude, you can write ばいさうぇ using Unicodes and get exactly the same, except that everyone can see it - not that anyone would care, though! :lol:

#71 BRG

BRG

• 11,588 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 17:08

This is way off the techie direction that this thread has taken, but I just wanted to say that I am worried that TNF is becoming too British-oriented.

With the Colonel at the helm, we had an inbuilt control system. But now Stuart has taken over, is there a danger that we Brits might become increasingly introspective and insular and maunder on about James Robertson Justice or someone/something equally obscure for the non-British audience until they get fed up with us and silently slip away? I would hate to lose the international flavour of this forum - the perspectives that we gain from having contributors all around the world - in the US, Australia, Croatia, Germany, Brazil, the Netherlands and so on (forgive me for not listing everyone) - gives TNF such strength and depth. We need the broadest geographical spread possible IMO.

Maybe I am being over-sensitive, but I hope that Twinny might keep an eye on us Brits and restrain us (or perhaps redirect us) if we get too far up our own fundaments.

#72 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,326 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 17:28

Is there a place for somewhere for members to link their own sites? Most are linked through threads where applicable, but for new bugs it may not be evident.

It could be expanded to sites that are good for research/reference as well.

#73 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,968 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 22:58

On your profile... that would do it...

The 'Character map' is available I now discover... I just typed 'character map' (it's actually 'charmap.exe') in 'find files or folders' and there it was... a bit cumbersome with copying and pasting, and I know there are other ways...

#74 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,140 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 13:17

Originally posted by BRG
This is way off the techie direction that this thread has taken, but I just wanted to say that I am worried that TNF is becoming too British-oriented.

With the Colonel at the helm, we had an inbuilt control system. But now Stuart has taken over, is there a danger that we Brits might become increasingly introspective and insular and maunder on about James Robertson Justice or someone/something equally obscure for the non-British audience until they get fed up with us and silently slip away? I would hate to lose the international flavour of this forum - the perspectives that we gain from having contributors all around the world - in the US, Australia, Croatia, Germany, Brazil, the Netherlands and so on (forgive me for not listing everyone) - gives TNF such strength and depth. We need the broadest geographical spread possible IMO.

Maybe I am being over-sensitive, but I hope that Twinny might keep an eye on us Brits and restrain us (or perhaps redirect us) if we get too far up our own fundaments.

I don't see any danger of this at all. And I'm sure that the change of host wouldn't make any difference. We all get a bit parochial sometimes, and I'll admit that there are some types of racing, peculiar to certain countries, that hold no interest for me whatsoever. The same surely goes for those outside the UK when we start banging on about club racing at Llandow or Rufforth or wherever.

The more the merrier as far as geographical spread is concerned. From my own point of view, I am always pleased in particular when I see anything from one of our Australian or New Zealand friends, as that's where most of my interest in non-UK matters lies. But that is far from exclusive. I fear I could spend even more time on here if I seriously got into the issue of motor sport in Communist-era Eastern Europe......

So again we need to reiterate that this is a broad church, and if it becomes even broader, we should cheer louder.

#75 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 13:30

I think the church is definitely remaining pretty broad, and it looks like TNF is acquiring new posters from elsewhere inside Atlas - something that didn't seem to be happening before... is TNF's earlier reputation for "separatism" crumbling a little? If so - GOOD! :)

#76 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 16:42

Originally posted by petefenelon

... is TNF's earlier reputation for "separatism" crumbling a little? If so - GOOD! :)

:up:

#77 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 16:37

Can we have the threads where comments on books are made merged and made sticky please ?

#78 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,968 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 00:38

I think that's a bit harsh...

Individual book threads enable you to follow the pattern of posts about those books, while sticking every book in together makes it hard to follow.

But there was a book thread that was a sticky... where did it go?

#79 PRD

PRD

• 319 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 11:41

Originally posted by Ray Bell
I think that's a bit harsh...

Individual book threads enable you to follow the pattern of posts about those books, while sticking every book in together makes it hard to follow.

But there was a book thread that was a sticky... where did it go?

Sorry I didn't put that very well :

http://forums.atlasf...&threadid=65757 (which is now on page 3)

is one thread and I thought there was another one running concurrently which could be merged
usefully, (but I can't find it now :blush: ) and then made sticky.

Paul

Advertisement

#80 KarlOakie Research

KarlOakie Research

• 83 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 16:19

Originally posted by BRG

Originally posted by ian senior
I don't see any danger of this at all. And I'm sure that the change of host wouldn't make any difference. We all get a bit parochial sometimes, and I'll admit that there are some types of racing, peculiar to certain countries, that hold no interest for me whatsoever. The same surely goes for those outside the UK when we start banging on about club racing at Llandow or Rufforth or wherever.

The more the merrier as far as geographical spread is concerned. From my own point of view, I am always pleased in particular when I see anything from one of our Australian or New Zealand friends, as that's where most of my interest in non-UK matters lies. But that is far from exclusive. I fear I could spend even more time on here if I seriously got into the issue of motor sport in Communist-era Eastern Europe......

So again we need to reiterate that this is a broad church, and if it becomes even broader, we should cheer louder.

Originally posted by petefenelon
I think the church is definitely remaining pretty broad, and it looks like TNF is acquiring new posters from elsewhere inside Atlas - something that didn't seem to be happening before... is TNF's earlier reputation for "separatism" crumbling a little? If so - GOOD! :)

There is a significant difference between having a forum with a lot of Brits and a forum that is a British forum. There seems to be a definite shift towards the latter of late. Despite the reassurances of the two Brits telling us that it is not a problem in their view, the British influence is shifting TNF from a more universal view of things to the danger of becoming a forum devoted to British racing from the club level up. The "broad church" analogy is wishful thinking and essentially myth.

Give Paul some credit for daring to mention a subject which might ruffle some feathers.

#81 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,066 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 19:24

Originally posted by KarlOakie Research
There is a significant difference between having a forum with a lot of Brits and a forum that is a British forum. There seems to be a definite shift towards the latter of late.

KarlOakie Research (Don) are we looking at the same forum :confused:

Page one of new postings at this moment has threads covering racing topics in France, Italy, Germany, New Zealand, Britain, Australia, USA and Portugal. The Nationality of the members posting is just as diverse, and could include a couple of South American countries!.

Not bad for only looking at page one :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Rob

#82 KarlOakie Research

KarlOakie Research

• 83 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 21:01

Originally posted by Rob Ryder
KarlOakie Research (Don) are we looking at the same forum :confused:

Page one of new postings at this moment has threads covering racing topics in France, Italy, Germany, New Zealand, Britain, Australia, USA and Portugal. The Nationality of the members posting is just as diverse, and could include a couple of South American countries!.

Not bad for only looking at page one :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Rob

Yet another Brit telling me that I am obviously mistaken.... :rotfl: :rolleyes:

Sorry, Rob, but that is not much of a sample to work from. I did not say that it was a rip-roaring shift where everything non-British is shoved to the side, rather a subtle, but distinct shift that has crept in and sometimes is difficult to not notice. It is an occasional sort of thing, but it certainly exists.

Okay, I may have offended some of you, but so be it, fire me. Ooops, that's already been done.... Even as a pariah from TNF and Public Enemy Number One to the Atlas crew, I still know the innards of TNF far better than Stu or Bira will prehaps ever know and this tendancy by the Britons on the forum to shift things to "club" talk is a natural inclination that generally faded within an acceptable timespan -- when it didn't it got a bit of a push....

A blatant fact of life is that Britons dominate this forum. This is to be expected given the nature of things and really not a problem in my view. Only when it veers off and is slow to move back is it something to ponder. Remember, a Brit brought this up, not me. However, Paul does have a point whether some wish to admit that or not, and obviously few seem to be willing to grant him that.

Whether it is a "broad church" :rolleyes: or a "church with an open-door policy," the fact remains that TNF generally has a few token reps from Here and There and a congregation composed primarily of Britons and their ANZAC cousins. Things just worked out that way. That TNF was run by a Yank for awhile was simply a matter of the tumbling dice of fate, an oversight now corrected.

So it goes.

#83 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,887 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 21:48

There is a significant difference between having a forum with a lot of Brits and a forum that is a British forum. There seems to be a definite shift towards the latter of late.

If hoards of enthusiasts from the American backwaters such as NASCAR wish to rush in to shift the balance, I'm sure they would be very welcome...

#84 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,968 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 22:14

I think a look at the discussion that's taking place on boynton2222's threads is a good indication that TNF still has life...

The shame of it is that Don's 'departure' did lead to certain other Americans leaving or restricting their activity here.

Mike Argetsinger is, almost tragically, gone. I haven't seen Michael Cox around lately, Buford has restricted his TNF following.

So if Don only posts to highlight the differences between then and now, and these aren't bringing in their American views, what are we to expect?

Threads full of pictures of Silverstone pit areas are no help at all in creating a balance...

#85 KarlOakie Research

KarlOakie Research

• 83 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 22:14

Originally posted by David Beard
If hoards of enthusiasts from the American backwaters such as NASCAR wish to rush in to shift the balance, I'm sure they would be very welcome...

No disrepect, but that is scarcely what could be called a warm invitation.... :rolleyes: I will refrain from any further comments since this is no longer any of my business.

#86 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,968 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 22:38

No disrepect, but that is scarcely what could be called a warm invitation.... :rolleyes: I will refrain from any further comments since this is no longer any of my business.

The 'backhanded compliment' didn't really work at all, did it?

#87 tifoso

tifoso

• 10,897 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 18:01

Perhaps wiki-type software would be the way to organize all the knowlege from the site (e.g., http://www.socialtext.net)? I'm not sure the bulletin board format would ever be the best way to index or catalog content no matter how much physical labor is expended. Just a thought.

#88 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,054 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 23:41

I do like the merging of similar threads and tidying uo of titles to make things more searchable.

Given the huge number of threads maybe some form of 'advise Twinny of suitable cases' might work.

#89 smithy

smithy

• 2,459 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 02:30

No more apples in the vending machine PLEASE!

#90 bira

bira

• 13,352 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 11:31

For those mindful of their spelling, I highly recommend the new Google toolbar (for MSIE only). Among other additions, it has a built in spell checker for all web forms - which means it can also be used for spell-checking of posts, private messages and emails on this BB. I have tried it out and it's fast, accurate and extremely useful. :up:

#91 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,887 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 21:49

I understand why Twinny has renamed the Lotus 12 thread "Lotus T12" to make the search facility work (it can't cope with 2 digits: I have found difficulty with this shortcoming, I admit)

But am I alone in thinking it just sounds daft? Nobody has heard of a Lotus T12. No offence, Stuart.

Is there any way the search engine function can be enhanced to cope with two digits?

#92 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 23:20

Originally posted by David Beard
I understand why Twinny has renamed the Lotus 12 thread "Lotus T12" to make the search facility work (it can't cope with 2 digits: I have found difficulty with this shortcoming, I admit)

But am I alone in thinking it just sounds daft? Nobody has heard of a Lotus T12. No offence, Stuart.

None taken, David.

However, on this specific subject, I think I'm right in saying that the T prefix for Lotus type numbers is factually correct.

No, I've never used it either - but, if you take a look at some of the specialist books on Lotus, you'll see it used quite often.

However, I take your point!

#93 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,346 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 00:16

'T' is tripe - 'Type' is right.

DCN

#94 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 00:22

Isn't 'T' an abbreviation of Type then, Doug? As in 'P' being an abbreviation for Project at BRM?

#95 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 08:53

None taken, David.

However, on this specific subject, I think I'm right in saying that the T prefix for Lotus type numbers is factually correct.

No, I've never used it either - but, if you take a look at some of the specialist books on Lotus, you'll see it used quite often.

However, I take your point!

The only Loti that I'm aware of that had 'T' in the type number were the Tasman variant of the 49 (49T, and that's debatable because a 49T was just a 49 with a DFW...) and turbocharged formula one cars - (and the abandoned Indycar). 93T through 100T!

#96 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,346 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 23:18

Isn't 'T' an abbreviation of Type then, Doug? As in 'P' being an abbreviation for Project at BRM?

Indeed - but never used in this manner in the contemporary Lotus lexicon - see Pete above. He's not wrong.

DCN

#97 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 23:24

Ah well, you live and always carry on learning... :up: The irony is that I thought I'd gleened this from TNF!

Still, it does make the current search engine work in our favour, and can always be reverted to the correct terminoligy at a later date.

#98 mp4

mp4

• 584 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 00:06

Twinny,
I did not read all the posts after your initial question. If someone else has already blabbed about what I am about to say, I apologise...
I would LOVE to see a permanent area devoted to readers' personal pictures from the days of yore.
A few months ago, a thread was opened doing just this. It was amazing and I'm sure you contributed a few pics along the way.
If you could make this a permanent thread, within the nostalgia forum or anywhere else, I am willing to bet it would be received warmly.

Cheers :wave:

#99 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 00:12

mp4 - the threads I suspect you're referring to can be found by searching 'photos paddock' and 'photos track' via the in-house software, and specifying TNF as the searchable area. 'Track' is on page one as I speak...

They're not going anywhere, I can assure you...! :up:

Advertisement

#100 mp4

mp4

• 584 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 00:21

Twinny,
As long as the pics are not going anywhere, I'm OK with it! :kiss: