Photo

The 'Suggestion Box'

• Please log in to reply
645 replies to this topic

#151 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 18:14

Try again, it might be a computer glitch on your side or their server side.

Advertisement

#152 Frank Verplanken

Frank Verplanken

• 343 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 22:15

I did not spend time on TNF like I did this week since more than a year I think, but lines like these :

Originally posted by HDonaldCapps
I am going to take full advantage of my being here in Kuwait to finally, once and for all, kick the TNF habit. This is for real, folks. This is not a Nigel.

make me feel like it was lives ago.
I probably missed many episodes but man, have things changed in TNF !? Nigel's Nigels bored me but I wish this was one Don. You're your own boss of course but for what it's worth I wish you around here personally. We never were close friends, even had a few arguments iirc, and disagree massively on some non-racing subjects; but I respect the historian and racing fanatic in you and that's all I'm looking for here. Merde alors, this is your place !

A suggestion to stay on topic with the thread : unlock the Famous Amon Stories thread or, please, explain to me in simple (I'm French) and honest words the reason why it was closed. Thanks. :wave: to ALL.

#153 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 12:25

Je pense que c'est parce que TNF est devenu plus un endroit de discussions qu'un forum de recherches.
I think it's because TNF has become more a chat place than a research forum.

Do you see what I mean Frank? or Am I really losing my french?:)
Maybe we need a Pub or Cafe section in TNF? Per example, I have some questions which wouldn't fit on TNF or which wouldn't getting answers in the PC forum.
Anyway, I'm just a lurker mostly and a few years ago, I thought jokes or humor wasn't welcome on TNF as it was such a serious place but then I always missunderstand many things. Now, I feel more part of a community here.

#154 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,142 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 08:52

Originally posted by Pils1989
Try again, it might be a computer glitch on your side or their server side.

PC glitch almost certainly - I got exactly the same message when my computer failed its MoT or summat and I had to be supplied with a new one. All you have to do is log in again with your password (if you can remember it - and Atlas will remind you if you've forgotten it). This kind of thing is no big deal at all - just a minor pain.

#155 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,240 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 11:51

Evenin All...

I noticed whilst researching Spencer Martin that the information on the Gold Star drivers championship is fractured and spread over 5-6 threads (3 over particular time periods).

Now...

I know that the great strength of TNF is its relentless uncovering of facts and anecdotes that helps build the picture of a particular endeavour or period of time...

But....

When it becomes obvious that contributions over a number of threads have constructed an almost complete historical picture....

Then...

What I would really like to see the modrators do is to somehow bind these threads together...

So that....

If someone wants to research Gold Star or Repco Brabham (in the antipodes say)....

Then it could be made a tad easier....

Rider: I realise that some threads ramble and merge and uncover aspects that might not normally be uncovered by sticking to a particular subject....I still say there is room for the masses of data to collected and sorted (possibly in a new area using SGML/relational database to link all theis wonderful info)

Ya dig where I'm coming from ???? :wave: :)

#156 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,902 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 12:10

To be fair, Twinny seems to have been working quite hard on combining threads...

#157 bira

bira

• 13,352 posts

Posted 27 August 2005 - 20:31

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4
Evenin All...

I noticed whilst researching Spencer Martin that the information on the Gold Star drivers championship is fractured and spread over 5-6 threads (3 over particular time periods).

Now...

I know that the great strength of TNF is its relentless uncovering of facts and anecdotes that helps build the picture of a particular endeavour or period of time...

But....

When it becomes obvious that contributions over a number of threads have constructed an almost complete historical picture....

Then...

What I would really like to see the modrators do is to somehow bind these threads together...

So that....

If someone wants to research Gold Star or Repco Brabham (in the antipodes say)....

Then it could be made a tad easier....

Rider: I realise that some threads ramble and merge and uncover aspects that might not normally be uncovered by sticking to a particular subject....I still say there is room for the masses of data to collected and sorted (possibly in a new area using SGML/relational database to link all theis wonderful info)

Ya dig where I'm coming from ???? :wave: :)

I think the best thing would be if you send Twin Window a PM with the links to the threads that you feel should be merged. If he agrees with you, he can do it instantly (and since the recent software fixes, merging has never been easier or faster)

#158 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,240 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 00:38

Originally posted by bira

I think the best thing would be if you send Twin Window a PM with the links to the threads that you feel should be merged. If he agrees with you, he can do it instantly (and since the recent software fixes, merging has never been easier or faster)

Hello Bira...I tried the PM thing...but it either would not work for me or it bounced :confused:

I have now come up with another one anyway!!

..why not have a folder within TNF for Racing Car Drivers only....title: The Drivers??....

...a place where they were all listed (even as dummy thread starters and which would make research a lot easier and could be good way to present the many threads scattered about the place...

sure the search function is there..but often times you have to sift through heaps of stuff (typos don't help) to find what you are looking for....rant over ;) :D

#159 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,240 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 01:09

Originally posted by David Beard
To be fair, Twinny seems to have been working quite hard on combining threads...

David...this is the suggestion box area...it is not the whining, carping and moaning area and I am doing none of that :wave: It shouldn't need to be said that the efforts of the mods are very much appreciated...but there...I have said it!!

Like any vast database, houskeeping and efficiency matters are important....I am trying to be constructive....have a nice day :)

Advertisement

#160 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 23:19

I tried the PM thing...but it either would not work for me or it bounced :confused:

Try again, fella!

I'm waiting to oblige...

#161 monoposto

monoposto

• 128 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:38

Originally posted by Twin Window
Ok, I promise to put the story of my 1984 San Marino GP weekend up as soon as poss.

Literally the most bizarre weekend of my life...

:up:

. . . have I missed it ?

#162 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 19:36

Originally posted by monoposto

. . . have I missed it ?

Nope - it's just that I just don't have as much time these days. But, when the season(s) are over and I stop travelling, I promise I'll try and get round to it...

Meanwhile, everybody please continue sending me info on threads in need of merging. The best - and quickest - way for me to effect these changes would be for the URLs of the respective threads to be included in the PMs.

Cheers! :wave:

#163 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,532 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 22:26

Stu: can I suggest the placement of some sort of "friendly instructions if you have a question" announcement at the top of page 1? Something along the lines of:

The Nostalgia Forum has been in existence as part of AtlasF1 for several years. During that time, we have discussed, dissected and researched thousands of topics, from racing musicians to helmet colours and from "Cars in Songs" to sports car racing in Angola.

So, we'd like to ask you please: before starting a new thread, do take a few moments to use the "BB Search" facility. It's a very powerful tool, which may bring up exactly the answer you're looking for. In which case - great! We've helped you with no effort! If it doesn't provide a full answer, or you need more details, it would be appreciated if - rather than starting a new thread - you would re-activate an old one, to which your question is relevant. That way, we keep all the information in one place and avoid unnecessary duplication: we have many members, with more joining every day, and they may very well be able to bring something new to help answer your question.

Of course, if it's something genuinely new to TNF, then feel free to start a new thread.

#164 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,240 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 08:15

Originally posted by HDonaldCapps
Either lock the Chris Amon mega thread or separate the "real" information from the Keir "I-love-me-and-my-thead-is-sacred-so-let-me-keep-brining-it-back-to-the-top-even-if-no-one-is-submitting-anything-because-no-one-really-gives-a-flying-wet-****-anymore-since-they-can't-find-anything-due-to-all-the-fluff-which-is-irrelevant-to-me-since-the-only-reason-it-now-exists-is-so-I-can-continue-to-pad-the-numbers-and-massage-my-ego" bullshit. I kick myself every time I see Keir -- and now his partner in crime "Rosemeyer" -- put that damn thing at the top of the queue for not locking that damn thing when I should have. I have been sick of the damned thing for years, but everytime it sinks out of sight past the first page or so, it gets placed back on top by Keir -- or now Rosemeyer.

As I have said a million time, I have genuinely liked Chris Amon for years upon years, but I am willing to never hear of him again simply because of that damned thread.

Let Keir take the thread elsewhere as part of a separate site with a forum devoted to Amon. There he could do whatever he wants.

I think that it is an abuse of the purpose for which we established TNF and Keir has consistently let it be known that he could care less about that, it is all about him and his thread, and **** me or any of the others who dare criticize his thread which has descended into a joke and a mere shadow of what it once was and what it was intended to be.

I think I am just finally sick of it.

Hi Don...I wish you would come out and tell us how you really feel every now and then...speak up man...don't be shy !!! :wave:

I have proposed to Twinny, let me rephrase that, I have proposed that we have a seperate forum under Nostalgia for the drivers...so Chris Amon could be there along with Clarke, Moss, Hill, Brabham etc.....

My current suggestion is for a F5000 forum....one of my favourite classes...there are a bunch of F5000 threads that would be great all in the one place :up:

#165 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,142 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 15:51

I know this has been said before.

Is there any way that people can be persuaded to put in their location. I find it is a great help to know where someone is when responding. It could even be made a condition of registration. I appreciate that some will still want to remain anonymous and put in something like "My house" but even a few more would be an improvement.

ditto for age, but I appreciate some people don't want to give that out.

#166 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 19:05

You seem to have answered yourself rather well there, Duncan!

#167 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,073 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 04:02

Originally posted by Vitesse2
Stu: can I suggest the placement of some sort of "friendly instructions if you have a question" announcement at the top of page 1? Something along the lines of:

The Nostalgia Forum has been in existence as part of AtlasF1 for several years. During that time, we have discussed, dissected and researched thousands of topics, from racing musicians to helmet colours and from "Cars in Songs" to sports car racing in Angola.

So, we'd like to ask you please: before starting a new thread, do take a few moments to use the "BB Search" facility. It's a very powerful tool, which may bring up exactly the answer you're looking for. In which case - great! We've helped you with no effort! If it doesn't provide a full answer, or you need more details, it would be appreciated if - rather than starting a new thread - you would re-activate an old one, to which your question is relevant. That way, we keep all the information in one place and avoid unnecessary duplication: we have many members, with more joining every day, and they may very well be able to bring something new to help answer your question.

Of course, if it's something genuinely new to TNF, then feel free to start a new thread.

I like this. Actually I like this a lot.

#168 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,902 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 06:57

Another vote for this notice at the top of the page. Please Twinny?

I would suggest a title something like "Please read this before starting a new thread"

#169 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 07:42

If we're having a vote, count me in too
Of course even that won't stop the sort of person who, once registering, feels it necessary to proclaim the fact to us all by starting a thread. On anything...

#170 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 18:50

Another vote for this notice at the top of the page. Please Twinny?

I would suggest a title something like "Please read this before starting a new thread"

Yep, I agree.

Would anyone be kind enough to volunteer writing a couple of paras (if indeed it needs that much) then I'll get it up there. That would be most appreciated... :up:

Is that fair?

#171 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,902 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 19:11

Yep, I agree.

Would anyone be kind enough to volunteer writing a couple of paras (if indeed it needs that much) then I'll get it up there. That would be most appreciated... :up:

Is that fair?

I'm quite happy with the words that came from our esteemed Vitesse2....

#172 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 20:07

I'm quite happy with the words that came from our esteemed Vitesse2....

What is the matter with me? I can't be blind, as I can see to type!

Sorry chaps... I'll ask what needs to be done now, in order to get it added.

Thank you!

#173 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 20:29

Ok. I've tinkered with it a little, but it's essentially the same.

I'm now waiting for someone to help me get it up there.

#174 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,902 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 10:00

Thanks Twinny.
Any chance of getting the number of Sticky threads reduced, so this new one gets a chance of being noticed? Some of them aren't very active.

#175 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 12:39

Nope. You've completely lost me there, Patrick

#176 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,532 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 20:36

That's a relief .... I thought maybe it was just me who didn't have a clue what he was on about :lol:

#177 monoposto

monoposto

• 128 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 13:37

Unless it is somewhere I haven't noticed, is it possible to have a counter showing the number of TNF members logged in at any one time, such as one sometimes sees on some other sites ?

It is only a curiosity - with TNF members in all corners of the globe it might be interesting ( and reassuring . . . ) to know there is somebody else out there, even if in a different time zone !

#178 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,532 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 13:58

I believe it's possible, but IIRC bira said she wasn't prepared to do it as it takes up too many resources in the software.

FWIW, I think there's seldom a moment when there isn't someone here.

#179 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 06:29

The stat I'd be interested in seeing is how many times threads are read. We're aware of the fact that a lot of 'lurkers' exist, and that would put a figure on it of sorts.

I think we'd be very surprised at the number...

Advertisement

#180 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,532 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 10:19

That was done for a while Stu, but it bogged down the whole BB, so it was disabled again!

#181 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,902 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 11:55

That was done for a while Stu, but it bogged down the whole BB, so it was disabled again!

The Ten Tenths history forum shows visits to each thread, but perhaps it's not as busy there as TNF?

#182 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,240 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 23:17

Grrrrrrrrrrr why can't the search engine be programmed to accept short enquiries like FJ or GTB or other short acronyms....

#183 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 07:36

GTB works; anything of three characters and above is recognised. :up:

#184 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,240 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 09:40

GTB works; anything of three characters and above is recognised. :up:

Twinny...don't try and confuse me with facts and logic :p

OK I really really meant two letters (of which, there are a lot in Motor Racing..)

#185 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 17:57

OK I really really meant two letters (of which, there are a lot in Motor Racing..)

Sorry!

As you say, two digits don't work - and that's the reason I began changing the Lotus type numbers in thread titles to T49, T72 etc., etc. (yes, I realise it's a moot point...!) in order that they became *searchable*.

#186 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,902 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 18:04

I still think it's a good idea: more repeat threads in the last few days....

#187 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 07:29

I would like to suggest that I not see this http://forums.autosp...&postid=2196990 each and every time I try to edit a post to correct a misspelling or provide an update to what was written....

#188 m.tanney

m.tanney

• 341 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 00:50

I've had the same problem. I sign myself back in - next thing I know, Atlas has signed me out again. Damned annoying. I've always had my computer set to accept cookies from atlasf1.com. That used to be enough, now it isn't. Has Atlas changed its cookies? Would that explain why TNF isn't recognizing my computer anymore.

#189 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,140 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 07:48

Ditto for the past month. I assumed it was just me.....

#190 HDonaldCapps

HDonaldCapps

• 2,482 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:16

Gosh, what did you guys do wrong? I know I am dog poop here, but you guys?

#191 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,902 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 17:35

A new Villeneuve thread has started. That makes 37 of them.

WE NEED A "READ THIS BEFORE STARTING A NEW THREAD" notice.

Perleeeeeeze!

#192 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,140 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 11:44

Nope - the problem is still there.

#193 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 54,481 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 21:01

It's only started with me in the last week...

Very annoying. If you walk away for five minutes you need to log in again!

#194 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 00:27

If it ever happens to me I'll need a hint:
been so long since I needed it,
I've forgotten the word.

#195 bluelite

bluelite

• 56 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 04:07

I don't know if this is the right place for my "suggestion" , but isn't it worth to open a thread with the names of all motorbookshops (also online) we know?

I know lots of people ask where they can find these shops etc. Everyone who knows a shop, adds a message with shopname, adress, etc. And then the first message of the thread will be used to put all info together so you can find the shops in your country very easily.

We've allready had a thread about shops in Londen, Edinburgh, Germany, Czech Republic and Monza , but nothing in one thread (i used the search option).

#196 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,240 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 00:12

Originally posted by Ray Bell
It's only started with me in the last week...

Very annoying. If you walk away for five minutes you need to log in again!

might have something to do with this old fella :rotfl:

"Ha ingresado un nombre de usuario incorrecto o inactivo o una contraseƱa incorrecta"

#197 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,142 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 15:40

Has 'This day in Auto Racing' run its course? There seem to be very few postings these days. Also 'Happy Birthday' seems to have lost its topicality and turned into a thread recording and discussing birth dates.
With the evolution of their content, does either need to be a 'sticky' any more? Making these threads 'non-sticky' would reduce the number of 'stickies' and leave space for the suggested 'sticky' headed "ATTENTION NEW POSTERS - REQUESTS FOR INFORMATION" or something like that saying "Please use Search BB before posting queries" and possibly giving instructions

#198 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 16:31

Originally posted by D-Type
Has 'This day in Auto Racing' run its course? There seem to be very few postings these days. Also 'Happy Birthday' seems to have lost its topicality and turned into a thread recording and discussing birth dates.
With the evolution of their content, does either need to be a 'sticky' any more? Making these threads 'non-sticky' would reduce the number of 'stickies' and leave space for the suggested 'sticky' headed "ATTENTION NEW POSTERS - REQUESTS FOR INFORMATION" or something like that saying "Please use Search BB before posting queries" and possibly giving instructions

Inclined to agree - if there is enough traffic on them they'll tend to rise to the top naturally, if not they'll fade out. I think both threads have probably pulled out most of the important facts already!

If there's an award for most inane regularly-bumped thread, can we hand it to "History 'numbers' game"? Certainly lost most of its spice round about 1900 as it hit a whole patch of common engine sizes and years!

#199 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 20:14

Originally posted by petefenelon

Inclined to agree - if there is enough traffic on them they'll tend to rise to the top naturally, if not they'll fade out. I think both threads have probably pulled out most of the important facts already!

Agreed on all counts, and thanks for the nudge.

They won't be going anywhere, and a quick search will always locate them.

Advertisement

#200 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:44

To all those who've been experiencing logging-in difficulties: I've moved the most recent posts to a new thread in Atlas which can be found here.

With luck, this will get the matter cleared up.

:up: