The 'Suggestion Box'

• Please log in to reply
635 replies to this topic

#201 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,127 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:41

Originally posted by D-Type
Also 'Happy Birthday' seems to have lost its topicality and turned into a thread recording and discussing birth dates.

Rewind's only just alerted a lot of us (well me, anyway) to this comment.

Do you seriously expect people to post the same information (plus 1) year and year again?! Surely not! :confused:

I think Reinhard's lists are invaluable - one of the best things on this forum and absolutely critical for people like me. Birthdates may not interest you, but, to me, the Happy Birthday thread (and similiar ones of that vein) are about all that IS interesting in TNF at the moment.

No stories, same ground being covered time & time again, pictures but without any real coherence, repeated requests for information already given - just dull.... I mean - I keep checking every day, but there's little to hold my attention these days. :yawn:

Stories & quizzes would be nice. I'd do them myself, but there's far, far more qualified & interesting people on here who are better at this sort of thing...

Advertisement

#202 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,087 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:48

Originally posted by D-Type
Has 'This day in Auto Racing' run its course? There seem to be very few postings these days. Also 'Happy Birthday' seems to have lost its topicality and turned into a thread recording and discussing birth dates.
With the evolution of their content, does either need to be a 'sticky' any more? Making these threads 'non-sticky' would reduce the number of 'stickies'

Finally a chance to reply.

As it's creator, I have no problem with 'This Date In Auto Racing" being de-stickified (thanks for doing so TW :up: ), particularly to make room for other 'stickies'. I always hope to add more to the thread, but simply haven't had time.

I'm pleased with the positive feedback from TNF readers and also to have been able to make some corrections. To those who enjoyed it, thank you for the kind words and I'm glad you enjoyed it :up:, to those who thought the whole thread was simply an exercise in vanity :p

#203 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,189 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 09:12

:
Good to hear from you Jim,You did a good job . Some thread run there course and as Richie said....
Do you seriously expect people to post the same information (plus 1) year and year again?! Surely not! :up:

#204 Chris Bloom

Chris Bloom

• 603 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 18:44

Can't we have just 'one' thread in TNF where we can discuss current day racing? I know there is the 'Other' forum where we are meant to do this but I'd prefer not to go in there and get my shoes muddy. We could call the thread 'Modern Times' or something and everyone could have a real good bitch about what the premier motor sport category has decended in to! :smoking:

#205 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,859 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 19:38

I think that's exactly what that the 'other' forum is for.

You just have to make sure you hose yourself down before you come back in here.

Allen

#206 Chris Bloom

Chris Bloom

• 603 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 19:59

The problem is that there are clinically insane people in there!! :eek: YES! People who think modern F1 is exciting :eek: I'm not joking, I'm being serious :

#207 chazh

chazh

• 31 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 16:47

Chris! They let you in here too???

:)

Chaz

#208 Chris Bloom

Chris Bloom

• 603 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 18:26

Hello Chaz! We must stop meeting like this ;)

#209 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,806 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 00:24

Probably indulging equine necrophilia....but anyway....

after an hour searching, I found only a little on the Irish GPs in the 1920-30s (don't ask, and yes it could have been my search criteria, aimed at thread titles only to keep the results manageable).

I have suggested before that TNF needs a subfolder project to logically group the astounding and outstanding skads of information contained herein.

Previously, I have suggested one folder should be the Drivers....thats is for threads dedicated to a particular driver. Another should be GPs (possible with a sub-sub by country!!)....these are two massive areas that might tidy up the data and make research easier.

#210 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,842 posts

Posted 14 May 2006 - 12:07

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4
Probably indulging equine necrophilia....but anyway....

after an hour searching, I found only a little on the Irish GPs in the 1920-30s (don't ask, and yes it could have been my search criteria, aimed at thread titles only to keep the results manageable).

Whatcha wanna know? There's a nice little Dreolin Press booklet called "The Phoenix Park Races" and a chapter or two in Brendan Lynch's "Green Dust" :) They're also covered fairly well in most MG and Riley books about the era, but obviously from a particular perspective.

#211 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 17:27

With the speed computer technology advances I wonder if we will see the day when it is possible to post video footage on a thread here ?

#212 Chris Bloom

Chris Bloom

• 603 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 20:45

Originally posted by Chris Bloom
Can't we have just 'one' thread in TNF where we can discuss current day racing?

Can I take back this suggestion? Not only am I sick and tired with modern F1, I've also grown bored moaning about it. I really just don't care anymore!

#213 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 03:03

Originally posted by Chris Bloom
Can't we have just 'one' thread in TNF where we can discuss current day racing? I know there is the 'Other' forum where we are meant to do this but I'd prefer not to go in there and get my shoes muddy. We could call the thread 'Modern Times' or something and everyone could have a real good bitch about what the premier motor sport category has decended in to! :smoking:

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

#214 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,806 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:37

Originally posted by RTH
With the speed computer technology advances I wonder if we will see the day when it is possible to post video footage on a thread here ?

Richard, you can as easily as posting an image here....most image hosting sites also host video. Cheers, Mick

#215 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 18:46

Orange Beta car @ Laguna Seca; 'movie' by Minolta Dimage Xt

#216 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,883 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 19:04

A number of people, including myself, have asked for a sticky asking newcomers to use the Search BB facility before starting a new thread.

Apparently this wasn't a suggestion worth taking up. I know it didn't it announce itself that way, but we now have yet another thread discussing the Williamson accident.

Soon we will have more on Tom Pryce and Cevert. It doesn't matter most of the time, but duplication of the fatal crash stuff upsets me.

#217 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,617 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 19:36

Hear, hear! David

#218 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,728 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 22:37

Needs more than a sticky...

It needs something like the thing across the top of the page in the Paddock Club.

#219 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,881 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 23:19

And it should contain this link: http://www.albinobla...ash/posting.php . :p

Advertisement

#220 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:49

:) :D ;) :lol: :| :p :yawn: :evil: :cool: : ): :drunk: :stoned: :kiss: :kiss: :love: :clap: :wave: :rotfl: :cat: :eek: :o :blush: :( :cry: :mad: :rolleyes: :smoking: Hello Twinny and all of you . I would like to tell you a little about my experinces here on the TNF. I could fill out many pages but will make it short.Late last year I decided to try the internet and after a couple of month "fell" over the Atlasf1. Looking at the rules and reading most of it , well , I thought why not try it , and so far I must say , NO REGRETS ! As the small faces above illustrate I have "tried" everything....................
and I am still learning to use the TNF. I must admit that I do have some handicaps in the language
but have learned to cope. I follow motorsport inthe full its is possible for me , my main interest however is up to 1970, hence the TNF. Sometimes I do also go to "the others" but more for couriocity. Now, I have noticed a couple of things (cant remember all ,will come back perhaps , depending on the responce to my words) ,the "worst" propably being those who lose the line in a thread. I aggree many times to get other thoughts on a thread , but why not take a note for later or on another thread? Some of these threads are so big and there is not much in them!. The very worst I think, is when members start discussions as to who said what and all that! Look at my own "Danes" which vitually has been killed in silly discussions! Which brings me to a question : Is it possible to merge some of these small alike threads (danish ) and make one new? Further,if the BB
of which I did not know until somebody told me , and which has been very good (to me),is to become better there must be a reference or something : if you search for BRP f.ex. there is also Innes, Gregory , Moss , Q. about BRP ,Light green , Team colours and so on.! Many threads have titles that do not tell what its about (I have had much fun looking at many , searching).That you cannot know! I myself however learned a bit about thinking more abstract , but still .........
One thread I am using alot is Transporter which you perhaps have noted,and here is a little language problem , I opened the "Supply and sponsor veh." thinking this was smart ,which I still think , but in the end they are also transporters , right ? How to merge?
When I opened "Who was" it was with my others with the best of intentions ,afterwards I ,as said ,has learned much more how to search (allthough thanks, Who was still gives some info!)
So what I want to say is that if we are to avoid double or tripple thread by telling about the BB there must be a link to the "other" different titled threads.
Oh boy, thats for now , regards in the summer which here where I live goes between 18 and 28 C everysecond day

Bjørn Kjer

PS the Atlasf1 and in particular this TNF has given me a lot of everything ,thanks everyone!

#221 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,859 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:56

Originally posted by Wolf
And it should contain this link: http://www.albinobla...ash/posting.php . :p

Fantastic!

#222 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:19

Perfect, in fact! :up:

Now let me see...

#223 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 21:14

Does that link of Wolf's work for everyone? It does for me, but D-Type (for example) hasn't been able to see the video.

#224 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,199 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 22:02

I couldn't see it at first, but after downloading a more up-to-date version of Macromedia Flash Player (found via Google) I was able to view it OK.

#225 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 22:48

:clap: Hello Twinny , have seen your "Attention" thread : :clap:
Regards Bjørn

#226 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,842 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 23:47

I may be an old fart (Jeez! I'm not yet 51!!!) but is my friend Wolf's link quite TNF?

I'll agree it's amusing, but are we completely abandoning the oak panelling and deep leather armchairs? : :

#227 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 23:52

Originally posted by Vitesse2
I may be an old fart (Jeez! I'm not yet 51!!!) but is my friend Wolf's link quite TNF?

I'll agree it's amusing, but are we completely abandoning the oak panelling and deep leather armchairs? : :

knock it off !!! Vitesse............... I am only 57 !!!

are we completely abandoning the oak panelling and deep leather armchairs ?.......euhm the good lady told me to.....................

#228 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:30

I think it's a good idea to front the group with a sluggish, infra dig video.
Lowers expectations so no one feels obligated to do any better.

--
Frank S
"You know my method, Watson.
It is founded upon
the observation of trifles."
—Sherlock Holmes—

#229 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,728 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:42

No wonder Don got out of here...

He was getting too old!

err... by the way, unless that new 'sticky' becomes a 'stickier sticky' it's not going to be very visible. This is why I recommended something like the 'read this before you enter here!' note on the Paddock Club page.

#230 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:29

:clap: If those nice rematks from Paul & Twinny were for me , I really feel "in" be now !

Have another couple of remarks : We members should rember that WE are making the TNF !

As to the "famous" Amon threads I might give them a look.

I can help with translation/German if needed.
Regards Bjørn

#231 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:30

Oh dear , I am too fast , that spelling , I meant "remarks"

#232 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,019 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:15

Bjorn,
On Atlasf1 you can edit your posts by using the button at the bottom right in the same location as you can see 'Report this post to hosts' on this one

#233 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:33

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4

Richard, you can as easily as posting an image here....most image hosting sites also host video. Cheers, Mick

OK thanks for that , If I wanted to post video off a camcorder or DVD how would I go about that and is there a limit to the running time ?

The google clip of 11 mins sound and pictures ( see the centenary of GP thread) is technically excellent and played instantly , its copyrighted and should not be there in the first place but it does work well best I have seen.
Grateful if anyone knows how we could go about posting our own originated material .

#234 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,806 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 02:44

Originally posted by RTH

OK thanks for that , If I wanted to post video off a camcorder or DVD how would I go about that and is there a limit to the running time ?

The google clip of 11 mins sound and pictures ( see the centenary of GP thread) is technically excellent and played instantly , its copyrighted and should not be there in the first place but it does work well best I have seen.
Grateful if anyone knows how we could go about posting our own originated material .

First you need to get the video off your camcorder and on to your PC hard drive (some expert can advise you what is a good way to do that).

Once you have the file (and thats all it is) you can upload that to a hosting site.

Copy and paste the link into your post....running time just adds to the download time and can be painful if you are on dial-up.....go for it :up:

#235 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:45

Thanks for that, it could add a new dimension to the forum if many people were able to do it .

#236 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,806 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 09:28

Originally posted by RTH
Thanks for that, it could add a new dimension to the forum if many people were able to do it .

RT...there are a bunch of websites out there with videos, and a bunch of websites hosting videos.

Another way is to just post the link to the hosting site.

My current favourite:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1133234

[hmmmmm lucky beggar also probably got to meet Sabine :blush: ]

#237 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 17:09

Hello , Bjørn here , I have just had an experience on the TNF ,which I believe is not the first time. Earlier I thought I was getting old , can still be, but....:.I log in ,go to the "A place to say something about books", write a long superb (I think) rewiew on a book , push the "submit" : You are not logged in......................Am I getting old?
Bjørn

#238 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 16:38

I am back again ! :cat: Can I print a single post or page instead of a whole thread ? If yes ,how do I do it ? Regards

#239 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 06:30

:clap: To the last post : I FOUND OUT !!

Advertisement

#240 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:31

:blush: SAtill finding out a lot of things , but ..........how to delete my sale ads???????????
Please anyone ,help !
Regards Bjørn
PS I have tried ,but is says I am not logged in! And I have done it!

#241 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:32

Read : Still finding ....

#242 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 15:48

I sincere apologize for not being smarter , I am still learning and trying. I thought though I was smart when I opened "WHO WAS ?" , but it seems to me that threads are opened all along "WHO WAS...and then a/the name" . So I tried to search "WHO WAS ?" : No results ! Has to be 3 words! . IMHO we can get A LOT of threads , myself alone is ready with say about 50 right on the spot!
Any comments?

Earlier I asked about merging threads , never herd a word , perhaps now ?
Regards Bjørn Kjer

#243 David Hyland

David Hyland

• 289 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:20

In the thread list, threads which span multiple pages have "shortcuts" (hyperlinks) to the first three pages and the last page in brackets following the thread name, e.g:

Sticky: Introduce yourself! (Pages 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

I'm wondering whether it's possible to configure the display of the thread list such that for multi-page threads, the shortcuts link to the last three pages rather than the first three?, e.g. for a 20-page thread:

A 20-page Thread (Pages 18 19 20)

[Another (non-motor racing-related) Bulletin Board I frequent is configured this way. Note that you don't need a shortcut to Page 1, because clicking on the name of the thread takes you there]

The rationale is that I hardly ever want to go to page 3 of a 20 page thread, but I sometimes want to read the last 3 pages of a thread, to "catch up" with a thread I haven't actively been following. Currently, to do that, I need to follow the shortcut to the Last Page, then go back two pages. Which may not sound all that onerous, but can be a real pain on a slow connection.

Note that I'm familiar with the "Go to last unread post" feature, but it doesn't really address the issue for threads you haven't been actively following.

David.

#244 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:57

Very good point David I quite agree.

#245 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,859 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:17

#246 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:15

And another vote for that.

#247 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:31

I'm not 100% sure how much flexibility there is within the mechanics of the site to allow for modifications, but I have a feeling it's not a great deal...

#248 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 22:21

Perhaps a sticky could be posted to request or remind people to fill in their profile.

I feel the more information the better: Anything that indicates; Location, primary language, name, age, interests, occupation, primary race history interests, contact information.

Some will be more forthcoming than others. Those that do provide background will make the forum a richer, less faceless community, and will offer a better understanding on views presented.

#249 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,019 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 15:36

I agree with both of these suggestions (shortcuts and profiles)

#250 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,346 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:53

The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 10080 minutes after you have posted. This limit has expired, so you must contact the administrator to make alterations on your message.

Please, get rid of that limit!
There are threads like "Gone but not forgotten" and "Happy Birthday" which get killed by this limitation.