• Please log in to reply
643 replies to this topic

#301 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:17

Originally posted by D-Type

I do think we should all encourage Twinny to merge duplicated topics or to consider capping one of them and saying "Refer to [this thread] for further discussion by notifying him when one comes up.

Firstly, my apologies for not being as up-to-speed as I have been in the past. This is due to many factors, none of which seem to be earning me any money but nevertheless use up all my time!

I have always encouraged you guys to send me your thoughts regarding mergeable threads - it was one of the first things I did, once I'd succeeded in requesting the unlocking of the archived threads. So please keep those suggestions coming, and I'll deal with them as promptly as possible.

Originally posted by ReWind

That isn't possible here because you can only edit a post of yours for 7 days. After that you are finished.

Unless you ask me to correct/alter/edit something for you after that time, which I will always do when I get the chance. Ask the others; they know who they are - including yourself, Reinhard! :D

Advertisement

#302 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,723 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 11:12

The thread "Personal Photos from the Track" is getting very large. I was wondering if it could be split up by circuit?

#303 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:53

I'm afraid that's virtually impossible, Stephen!

For starters, when I go to split a thread I can only see the first line or so of each post...

#304 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,884 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 18:20

Steve, someone would need to do what we've done in the other place and give Twinny all the post numbers to be moved out. From what John said, it's a huge task.

Allen

#305 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 22:16

Seems to me, starting a new "Son Of Personal Photos From The Track (Monza)" or "Personal Photos From The Track Goes to Monza" thread might help in future ...

"Split by circuit" of a current thread is not realistic.

#306 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:19

Originally posted by Frank S

"Split by circuit" of a current thread is not realistic.

Thank you, Frank (and Allen)!

#307 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 20:37

Twinny , will you please marge : Pre-War motorcycle racing into : Pre- world championship motor cycle racing ?

Thanks !

#308 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:31

Certainly! Just send me the links.

#309 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 15:54

Twinny please merge : Pre-war motorcycle racing

http://forums.autosp...&threadit=75478

into : Pre-world championship motor cycle racing

http://forums.autosp...&threadid=82591

#310 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,959 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 22:30

I just opened a thread called '1962 Nurburgring 1000kms'...

Thinking, "Yes, I remember that one, Ferraris got a shock that day, maybe this is something about the Lotus 23?" only to find it's a request for photos of a specific Porsche.

This sort of thing happens all the time, I'm sure Twinny does his best to keep an eye on it, but this one has so far escaped. Could you please change the title, Stuart?

#311 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 23:54

Originally posted by Ray Bell

Could you please change the title, Stuart?

Done, Ray.

Indeed I do try to keep on top of such matters, but - as you've just proved - a nudge is always a good idea! :up:

#312 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:45

:confused: Twinny , in post 307 I asked for... in post 308 you countered.....in 309 I delivered (I reckon).....
and now after you've done Rays request , I just ask : WHAT AM I DOING WRONG ?

#313 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:30

As soon as I saw your post I merged the threads. Or so I thought; it would seem that one has vanished...

I've asked for help in getting it back, so fingers crossed.

#314 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 14:20

:wave: TWINNY : Help me find a good name and exchange it for the thread : "Who was this ?" so that I and others can find it using Search BB ????

#315 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 01:28

I've re-titled that thread 'Identification help needed!'

Is that ok with you?

#316 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:20

:wave: Thanks Twinny ! :smoking: But I still dont get it on the Search BB ?

#317 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,397 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:45

Is this the one?

Identification help needed!

#318 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:56

How did you get that, Tim?
I tried half an hour after Bjørn's attempt, and again now, with the same result - or lack of result

#319 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 15:31

:wave: Ha-ha hi guys , some are "more" than others ? I still dont get it , but have my "favorite" list on my PC and just search for "Who was this" :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Advertisement

#320 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,397 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 18:36

For some reason it doesn't seem to show up if you try to find it using the "search titles only" option. I typed Bjørn's name in, plus a key word from the thread, and there it was. ;)

#321 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 20:12

Hmmm... a little odd this one. For my first attempt I used 'help needed' and it came up on the very top - but strangely so too did thread titles which included 'identification' but not 'help', or not 'needed'.

So I then added 'identification' and it refused. Then I removed the other two words, and it baulked again! So the search engine seems to have a problem with the word 'identification'...

:confused:

#322 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,256 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 21:35

The search engine has a problem with long words. Bira did explain some years ago, but I can't remember how to get round the problem. It makes finding Christian Lautenschlager a real bugger ....;)

#323 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 21:51

Just a thought - there have been quite a few threads about 'what is there in place X of motorsporting interest?' - is there any sensible way to group these together and create some kind of 'TNF Guide To The World'? - even if it's only a page linking to them all listed by country...

#324 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,887 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:06

I have been brewing this post for a while…some rude comments about the VSCC on a recent thread have finally made me decide to let it out.

I think it would be nice if people were encouraged to post on TNF using their real name. I didn’t think this way to start with, but the opinion that this would be a Good Thing has grown upon me.

I see no need to post under a pseudonym unless you want to post something with which you don’t wish to be associated. If you want to post such things elsewhere then fair enough, but why not reserve the pseudonym for those other places and use your real name on TNF?

From a personal point of view, I find it significant that the only people who have responded to my posts in a less than pleasant manner here on TNF have been from posters operating under a pseudonym. For example, a while ago I received a PM from a TNFer with an ABCD type “handle”, who I had previously respected, which was laden with every expletive known to man. (This was in response to one of my attempts at humour: admittedly not one the better efforts) Then a month or two ago another poster arrived with an ABCD type name and answered one of my posts with the suggestion that I had no interest in motor racing history, then promptly disappeared again.

Most of TNF’s most illustrious participants post under their real names. I noticed this on the day I joined the forum and when I posted I was proud to have my own name associated with them.

#325 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 13:23

A worthy thought, but there may be legitimate reasons for some people wanting anonymity (boss looking over a shoulder?)

I have had PMs from people who even in the message use only their User Name. I ignore them, even if they're written in polite terms, as I do with any other anonymous correspondence.

#326 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,052 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 13:47

This was the first forum I signed up to. I got the impression that the majority of members seemed to use pseudonyms so I followed suit. If I were to sign up now I would probably use my real name. After all, if you are going to express strong opinions you shouldn't hide behind a pseudonym.

I have considered re-registering, but ... *.

Is it possible to change your user name?

* has anybody got a round tuit I can borrow?;)

#327 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,887 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 13:58

This was the first forum I signed up to. I got the impression that the majority of members seemed to use pseudonyms so I followed suit. If I were to sign up now I would probably use my real name. After all, if you are going to express strong opinions you shouldn't hide behind a pseudonym.

As I said, Duncan, you could still include your real name in your signature.

#328 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,041 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 14:06

I agree, and on both this and the VSCC Forum I use my name in full.
Only on the Autopuzzles site, where nobody uses a real name, I and a few others at least still use a real first name and an initial.
I have no interest in anonymity: my views may be rubbish, in someone's opinion, but they are mine and I am not ashamed of them (or if I subsequently become ashamed, I shall say so!).
I am not very interested in people who are so uncertain of themselves that we are not allowed to know who they are.
As for the boss looking over your shoulder, I am not inclined to encourage people to spend a lot of their employer's time on this or any forum so that doesn't get my vote as an excuse.

Rant over :clap:

#329 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 14:12

I must say that 3 out of 4 of those who has been pestering me since I started on the TNF are by name , which is preferable. But only half of them stand by their age............!

#330 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,052 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 23:17

Originally posted by David Beard

As I said, Duncan, you could still include your real name in your signature.

Do you mean like this? I think it looks a bit silly, but I'll try it.

#331 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,422 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 01:43

Alright, I am Tom Schultz, I am from Wisconsin, and I am the track historian at Road America, hence the handle.

Cheers!
Tom

#332 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,887 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:36

Do you mean like this? I think it looks a bit silly, but I'll try it.

Not at all silly...just distinctive. :)

#333 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,939 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:21

Originally posted by RA Historian
Alright, I am Tom Schultz, I am from Wisconsin, and I am the track historian at Road America, hence the handle.

Cheers!
Tom

another Cheesehead then :p :drunk: ....

My suggestion is this....MODS: to check every thread TITLE posted for SPELLING and accuracy :up:

#334 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,422 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:48

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4

another Cheesehead then :p :drunk: ....

Actually, I much prefer the bratwurst! :D
Tom

#335 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 19:38

That was my approach as well. Then I started noticing the same problem--the most obnoxious posters do not use their own name. My solution was the same as suggested, just put your name in the signature line.

#336 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 19:39

:up:

The Optimist's Club did a decent job until last year, when they evidently decided to aggressively avoid undercooked meat.  ;)

#337 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,422 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:12

Originally posted by red stick

:up:

The Optimist's Club did a decent job until last year, when they evidently decided to aggressively avoid undercooked meat.  ;)

Bratwurst is good everywhere at the track, but to my palate, the Bratwurst at the St John's stand in the main paddock is the tastiest.
Tom

#338 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:51

Bratwurst is good everywhere at the track, but to my palate, the Bratwurst at the St John's stand in the main paddock is the tastiest.
Tom

Noted.

#339 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,939 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 13:22

Tom

Yessireebob....a decent plate of Bratwurst and Sauerkraut with some good Cherman Mustard never hurt no body :up:

Advertisement

#340 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,422 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 01:52

Originally posted by 275 GTB-4
Yessireebob....a decent plate of Bratwurst and Sauerkraut with some good Cherman Mustard never hurt no body :up:

Nope, I take it straight. A brat in a bun, no mustard, no sauerkraut. I straightline it.
Tom

#341 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 4,639 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 00:43

Tom is right: St Johns up in the paddock area has the best brats. I also love their hot german potato salad. I put hot mustard and sauerkraut on mine though. He likes his as we say stock.

#342 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,373 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 16:58

I would suggest that Walter Gotschke threads
# 1, # 2 & # 3 should be merged into one.

#343 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,001 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 19:37

Quick Question: Is there a way to search for a name or topic within a given thread?

I appreciate the "Search BB" feature, but since some threads are so long, searching for the red type can take hours.

Thanks,

Frank

#344 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,256 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 19:41

Originally posted by fbarrett
Quick Question: Is there a way to search for a name or topic within a given thread?

I appreciate the "Search BB" feature, but since some threads are so long, searching for the red type can take hours.

Thanks,

Frank

Click on "printable version" top right and you can then use either your browser's or a search engine's "search within page" function.

#345 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 21:53

Originally posted by ReWind

I would suggest that Walter Gotschke threads
# 1, # 2 & # 3 should be merged into one.

Done - thank you :up:

#346 Mark Godfrey

Mark Godfrey

• 147 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 18:46

Can some of the Monterey 2008 threads be merged?

#347 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 18:27

Is it perhaps time to give the two wheel fans their own forums where they can sort out their own thread structure? The success of the two big motorcycle GP threads seems to suggest there's enough interest in a Bike Nostalgia Forum, and now Autosport covers MotoGP perhaps it's time for a two-wheel RC for the modern MotoGP/Superbikes etc.?

The sheer bulk of the motorbike nostalgia thread made it too difficult to get into. A two-wheeled TNF in which a bunch of threads could evolve would be much more accessible both to the dedicated bikers and the casual fan.

#348 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,887 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 20:32

Originally posted by petefenelon
Is it perhaps time to give the two wheel fans their own forums where they can sort out their own thread structure? The success of the two big motorcycle GP threads seems to suggest there's enough interest in a Bike Nostalgia Forum, and now Autosport covers MotoGP perhaps it's time for a two-wheel RC for the modern MotoGP/Superbikes etc.?

The sheer bulk of the motorbike nostalgia thread made it too difficult to get into. A two-wheeled TNF in which a bunch of threads could evolve would be much more accessible both to the dedicated bikers and the casual fan.

That sounds good to me.

#349 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:38

Originally posted by Mark Godfrey

Can some of the Monterey 2008 threads be merged?

Good thinking; done.

Originally posted by petefenelon

Is it perhaps time to give the two wheel fans their own forums where they can sort out their own thread structure?

I asked the same question the same day you made your post Pete, but the answer was 'no'.

#350 MattKellett

MattKellett

• 69 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 16:55

We have a sticky for books - how about the same for dvd's? or has this been mentioned before?

Or how about a separate forum for motorsport books and dvd's? The books thread is so long now, that recommendations and reviews can easily be lost!

Matt