The 'Suggestion Box'

• Please log in to reply
643 replies to this topic

#401 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:40

Originally posted by Stephen W
Would it be possible to introduce a Multi-Quote Option so that you could easily incule quotes from 2 or more posts in a thread?

:wave:

Originally posted by kayemod

I think that's there already in some form. Wouldn't have a clue how to do it myself, but others seem to manage to do it. Not top of my priorities though, I'm still waiting for pigs to fly/hell to freeze over/Atlas to introduce a simpler way to post pics...

A simple way of doing it is clicking the "quote" button of the first post you want to quote, then marking the text portion and copying it into the temporary memory of your computer (Ctrl+Ins, or right-clicking on the text and chosing "copy" from the context menu), then using the "back" button of your browser to get back to the thread, and clicking the "quote" button of the second post you want to quote, place the text marker accordingly and then insert the text from the temporary memory (Shift+Ins, or right-clicking and chosing "paste" from the menu) - voilà! Now you can type whatever you want after the second "unquote" tag, or even in between the two quotes!

:)

Advertisement

#402 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,695 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 14:58

Originally posted by fines
A simple way of doing it is clicking the "quote" button of the first post you want to quote, then marking the text portion and copying it into the temporary memory of your computer (Ctrl+Ins, or right-clicking on the text and chosing "copy" from the context menu), then using the "back" button of your browser to get back to the thread, and clicking the "quote" button of the second post you want to quote, place the text marker accordingly and then insert the text from the temporary memory (Shift+Ins, or right-clicking and chosing "paste" from the menu) - voilà! Now you can type whatever you want after the second "unquote" tag, or even in between the two quotes!

:)

That is complex compared to several other forums where there is a unique Multi-quote icon on every post. That way you can quote 2, 3, 4, 5 or as many posts as you like. It would be far easier in operation and not everyone is as computer-literate as Fines.

#403 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,695 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 16:32

That is complex compared to several other forums where there is a unique Multi-quote icon on every post. That way you can quote 2, 3, 4, 5 or as many posts as you like. It would be far easier in operation and not everyone is as computer-literate as Fines.

Glad to see that the above is now incorporated into the forum. Well done. :wave:

#404 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 23:01

Glad to see that the above is now incorporated into the forum. Well done. :wave:

But it doesn't work!

At least not for me... :|

#405 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,138 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:42

When the software rejects a link as not allowed when adding a post, is there any chance that it could tell you which link - if there are several different ones in a posting, it is difficult to know which is the offending one.

#406 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,923 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 02:08

Hmmmm if you type Tracks and search titles ony in TNF you get a wealth of info on old tracks...flogging a dead horse, but it would make a good sub folder in TNF :up:

#407 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,047 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:31

Hmmmm if you type Tracks and search titles ony in TNF you get a wealth of info on old tracks...flogging a dead horse, but it would make a good sub folder in TNF :up:

I think the trouble is that it is very difficult to categorise thread content and something can easily end up in the wrong folder. At work we have aseries of internal discussion groups for technical queries which are subdivided by technical discipline. By their nature not all queries are discipline-specific and the same query has to be raqised on different forums.

Consider a hypothetical TNF thread "Whereabouts on the Nurburgring did Brooks overtake Collins in 1958?". Assuming the actual spot is identified after some discussion the thread can then evolve on different themes: other overtaking points at the 'ring (track); Brooks overtaking (drivers); modern cars at the 'ring (cars); designing in overtaking capability (tracks); Hawthorn and Collins fighting back (drivers); comparison with Fangio (drivers); and many individual posts could cover various headings.

If we were to introduce a set of subfolders, what would be a suitable way of splitting?

Geographical : US, Australia, Europe? We would lose the valuable cross fertilisation
Key topic: Tracks, Drivers, Races? Many posts and discussions cover more than one general topic
Formula: Eff1, Sports cars, Indycar/Champcar, NASCAR, Touring cars, UK club racing, motorcycles. Again posts and discussions often cover more than one topic.

The more I think about it the more I come round to the view that splitting off the motorcyclists is as far as we can practicably go.

If we did have sub-forums, Twinny would have to spend a lot of time moving threads about.

#408 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 14:16

The more I think about it the more I come round to the view that splitting off the motorcyclists is as far as we can practicably go

...and possibly the purely photographic threads as well

#409 retriever

retriever

• 394 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 20:17

I do not know if this has been raised before but can there be a rule that usernames chosen by TNFers should exclude the using names of motoring racing drivers and personalities - either living or now deceased.

#410 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,886 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 21:43

I do not know if this has been raised before but can there be a rule that usernames chosen by TNFers should exclude the using names of motoring racing drivers and personalities - either living or now deceased.

Unless of course the recent appearance of Keke Rosberg was genuine.... :rolleyes:

Edited by David Beard, 17 June 2009 - 21:44.

#411 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,878 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 21:59

Strangely some real drivers have posted here under assumed names...

Vic Elford, for instance, and Kevin Bartlett uses an abbreviated name IIRC. I agree, though, that it can be misleading and disconcerting for members to post under the name of a driver (or other well-known personality) who's still alive.

#412 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,313 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:29

But what if you happen to be the namesake of someone famous? I can think of at least two TNFers whose real names are the same as a couple of household names. It would be wrong to stop these people posting under their real names, if they choose to do so.

I do agree that it can be extremely annoying to spot a famous name as a new poster, and then to have my excitement dashed when I find out that it's not really them after all.

#413 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,886 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:43

But what if you happen to be the namesake of someone famous? I can think of at least two TNFers whose real names are the same as a couple of household names. It would be wrong to stop these people posting under their real names, if they choose to do so.

I have been a passenger to TNF's Roger Clark on a few occasions. It's quite easy to figure out that he is not the famous one on a number of counts... ;)

#414 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,063 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 21:00

I have been a passenger to TNF's Roger Clark on a few occasions. It's quite easy to figure out that he is not the famous one on a number of counts...;)

.... not the least being that he's actually alive :)

#415 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,183 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 21:17

.... not the least being that he's actually alive :)

I came awfully close to posting that myself, but wasn't brave enough, thought it might be regarded as being too tasteless. Now I've seen your post though, it doesn't look so bad, so no harm done.

#416 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,331 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:53

Unless - not for the first time - I am failing to get the plot, this new feature of appending a mere list of following posts is a pain in the arse without a simple NEXT tab on each displayed Post for anyone wishing to re-read the Thread. At the moment, it appears, one has to refer to the list each time to select the next Post - an extremely slow and frustrating process. Twinny - can the cybermen oblige????

DCN

#417 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:20

Sorry Doug but I don't quite understand your gripe... :blush:

Could you link me to one of the lists you find annoying?

#418 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,365 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 12:37

I think Doug's problem is the one discussed here. Solution in the following post there.

#419 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,066 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 18:16

Just to save Doug chasing links...

Click on the 'Options' button on the right of the thread title bar and check under 'Display Modes'. I suspect you've somehow changed to 'Linear+'. If so, switch back to 'Standard' and all should be well again. :)

Advertisement

#420 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,623 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 13:42

HELP! Something happened and I dont know what ? Suddenly I can read only the first post on a thread , and then get a list on the last 20 or so , everything between is where ?

SOLVED by Rob ! Somehow , and it was NOT me , the setup was on "outline" instead of "standard".

Edited by Bjørn Kjer, 08 July 2009 - 15:57.

#421 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,047 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 20:48

A small point.

I have recently removed my date of birth from my profile as I am worried that with my name, location and date of birth, it is possible to clone my ID - eg I understand that both driving licence number and national insurance number can be derived from your date of birth.

Would it be possible to change user profiles so that it is possible to show only the year of birth. That is useful information to understand someone's background without being too personal.

#422 tonyb

tonyb

• 363 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 15:35

The forum sems to have gained a new limit on the number of images allowed within an individual post? Looks like it's set to 30. Fine once you know - except that for posts that precede the date it was introduced, any images past a count of 30 no longer display, just showing the code/URL as text.

Without looking at each URL individually to see them, they are then effectively lost since although you could put them back in now as a new post, they could be several years out of date sequence!

#423 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,878 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:35

Thirty pics in a post is too many anyway...

The delays in loading the pics detract from reading the thread.

#424 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,047 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 16:00

A trivial request - when staring a thread because someone has died can the author please say so in the title. To give a current example we have threads titled "Jean Sage", "Donna May Mims", "Boley Pittard" and "Don Nichols" on the front page and only the first two are announcing their deaths.
It would make things clearer to add" has died" or "~RIP" when appropriate.

Edited by D-Type, 11 October 2009 - 00:10.

#425 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,313 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 17:04

Agreed - I opened that Don Nichols thread in fear and trembling, thankfully unwarranted.

Edited by Tim Murray, 10 October 2009 - 17:05.

#426 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:31

Yes; I remember when I was a kid the dread I often felt on Thursday mornings seeing Autosport had drivers' names within the strapline. You never knew whether they'd died or that it was an interview within... :well:

I'll attempt to make the 'personality' threads more obvious in future by defining the 'in memorium' ones as such (although, in fairness, I have attempted to make sure that's the case thus far).

#427 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 06:36

Might it be possible for "collectibles" to be spelt correctly in the new sub-forum title?

#428 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,365 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:28

Those subtaleties are neglagable.

#429 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,313 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:37

My most recent dictionary (Chambers 1993 ed) lists both 'collectable' and 'collectible' as acceptable spellings. (My earlier Shorter OED does not recognise the word.) I personally prefer 'collectable'.

#430 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:17

Collectible means 'worth collecting', according to my Concise Oxford. Collectable, if it was recognised, would presumably mean 'able to be collected', which would surely apply to anything that exists in more than one example, whether it was worth collecting or not :)

Edited by David McKinney, 18 October 2009 - 10:18.

#431 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,313 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:11

According to The New Fowler's Modern English Usage (revised 3rd edition, 1998) one of the many senses of the suffix -able is 'worthy' (so. in this case, 'worthy of being collected'). The book also contains a list of words recorded both with -able and with -ible. It has 'collectable' as the preferred form, describing 'collectible' as common in N America. ;)

#432 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,313 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 13:02

Having just checked out the new Racing Collectables sub-forum, I'm puzzled. I've always thought of racing collectables as interesting items associated with racing and racing cars (eg books, paintings, models, photos etc) but not the actual cars themselves. However, the thread about Bernie's collection of real live cars has been moved into the new forum. Is this a mistake (and if so please can it be corrected) or is it the intention that all threads relating to car collections become part of this sub-forum?

#433 matey

matey

• 19 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 21:46

Having just checked out the new Racing Collectables sub-forum, I'm puzzled. I've always thought of racing collectables as interesting items associated with racing and racing cars (eg books, paintings, models, photos etc) but not the actual cars themselves. However, the thread about Bernie's collection of real live cars has been moved into the new forum. Is this a mistake (and if so please can it be corrected) or is it the intention that all threads relating to car collections become part of this sub-forum?

I noticed the same thing Tim.
Despite being active elsewhere the Moderator seems not to have taken any action.

Also, given the current proliferation of "Announcements" in addition to "Stickys" perhaps some rationalisation could be done, so that at least a few live topics from the forum could appear on page 1 of one's browser...........

#434 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 00:14

Despite being active elsewhere the Moderator seems not to have taken any action.

Mainly because I put it there in the first place.

Also, given the current proliferation of "Announcements" in addition to "Stickys" perhaps some rationalisation could be done, so that at least a few live topics from the forum could appear on page 1 of one's browser...........

Proliferation? There are two of the former, one of which is temporary (and the other was formerly a sticky). As for the other stickies, the membership [admittedly those more active than you] know the deal there; namely that whilst I have at times pruned the list slightly, some of the threads are a tad sensitive to their adhesivness...

;)

#435 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,210 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 19:20

Within
My Controls/Board Settings

there exists Number of topics to show for each forum page which enables you to to have up to 100 topics on each forum page. Not enough?

#436 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,047 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:35

A small point.

I have recently removed my date of birth from my profile as I am worried that with my name, location and date of birth, it is possible to clone my ID - eg I understand that both driving licence number and national insurance number can be derived from your date of birth.

Would it be possible to change user profiles so that it is possible to show only the year of birth. That is useful information to understand someone's background without being too personal.

It looks as if I failed to notice a software change. Am I correct to assume that now it automatically displays only one's age and that people can't readily find my DOB?

#437 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,033 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:41

It looks as if I failed to notice a software change. Am I correct to assume that now it automatically displays only one's age and that people can't readily find my DOB?

Both are displayed if I go to your profile, Duncan.

#438 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,047 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:58

Both are displayed if I go to your profile, Duncan.

Thanks Allan - I've removed my DOB again.
Does anybody know how to display your age but not your date of birth?

#439 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,418 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 20:46

Does anybody know how to display your age but not your date of birth?

Don't know about displaying my age, but my wife says that I have never acted my age.....

Tom

Advertisement

#440 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,047 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 13:57

Don't know about displaying my age, but my wife says that I have never acted my age.....

Tom

Just tell her you are acting as old as she looks - it might work.  ;)

#441 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,418 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 22:49

Just tell her you are acting as old as she looks - it might work.  ;)

Great one, Duncan! I will have to try it! Thanks! :up:
Tom

#442 rallen

rallen

• 545 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 14:39

Can I make a suggestion on the book thread?

It took me ages to realise which was the book thread, I had wanted to post a few questions and comments about specific books but was intimidated when I click on certain topics because someone would irately put that 'there is a designated book thread' testily implying that they should use this. However I could never find the book thread.

It was only after a while that I realised it was the Pete... I just assumed (as he was here before my time and not knowing he was a dearly departed member) that is was a thread on someone called Pete who was someone specific in motorsport (team owner /journalist) I had never heard of.

Anyway as it is now (no problem with the naming it after Pete - I think its a lovely idea) its quite a pain to search through, is there anyway we can have it as a sub forum like Racing Collectables instead of just the one thread with lots of pages?

Sorry it seemed to take me ages to get to the point and I am sure one I have been on here longer I may not find it an issue, but as a newbe, i find the book thread a bit cumbersom. Everything else is fab though! :clap:

#443 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,047 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:57

This is an unfortunate downside of new software introduced a couple of years ago. Before that it was possible to search a whole thread no matter how long.

#444 rallen

rallen

• 545 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 17:39

This is an unfortunate downside of new software introduced a couple of years ago. Before that it was possible to search a whole thread no matter how long.

I see, it seems then that the best way round it is to do what Motorcycling.. and Racing Collectables have and have mini sub forums rather than just one thread for the mamoth subject of book?

#445 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,365 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 15:36

It was only after a while that I realised it was the Pete... I just assumed (as he was here before my time and not knowing he was a dearly departed member) that is was a thread on someone called Pete who was someone specific in motorsport (team owner /journalist) I had never heard of.

Maybe the thread should be slightly renamed, e.g. "The Book Thread - In Memory of Pete Fenelon".

Edited by ReWind, 23 December 2009 - 15:36.

#446 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 15:52

Good idea
It would certainly help new members

#447 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,183 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 16:51

Good idea
It would certainly help new members

+1 (why didn't we think of that?)

#448 rallen

rallen

• 545 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 17:00

+1 (why didn't we think of that?)

Phew thats a relief! thanks guys, I am sure it was not just me because when I was searching old threads for books, a lot of the comments on each thread was someone getting slightly vexed that 'there is a specific book thread!' so it will help the newer members and also not anoy the older members! I was a bit worried about rasing it becasue obviously it could be a sensative issue.

Cheers

#449 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 23:38

Done :)

#450 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,365 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:41

Thanks, Stuart, and a Happy New Year to you and your loved ones!