Photo

Jordan-BRM

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 my_own_shadow

my_own_shadow

• 216 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 15:47

What do you think about when you see a "Jordan-BRM" combination of words? I assume that, first of all, you remember John Frankenheimer's great 1966 'Grand Prix' film and its pseudo-BRM team with Jack Watson playing Jeff Jordan as team owner. But had anyone assumed in 1966 that this assumed team's name became a reality?

13 years later, when BRM was no more in WDC but still compete in Aurora AFX championship, we saw a real Jordan-BRM team since at that time the BRM team passed into the ownership of John Jordan. It was in 1979 when BRM P230 with ground effect had been tested and was to be raced as a Jordan-BRM but didn't make it to the starting grid... But John Jordan still had a BRM P207/02 which was rebuilt and renamed into BRM P207/2B. In 1980 it was raced by Tony Trimmer in 5 rounds of Aurora championship (Mallory, Thruxton, Snetterton, Brands Hatch, again Thruxton). No information about it in 1981. Finally in 1982 its driver became David Williams who raced it in three rounds of British Formula One Series (Thruxton, Donington, Brands Hatch) and during historic F1 race at Donington. One lap of Tony Trimmer before retiring in British Open race at Oulton Park in 1983 became a truly end of long decline of BRM racing history :cry: :cry: :cry:

I've started this thread in order to find more stuff about this, fourth (after Raymond Mays, Sir Alfred Owen and Louis Stanley), period of BRM team history. I also would like to see some photos of post-1977 BRM racing history; here are a few photos that I've already have:

Posted Image
1978, Teddy Pilette, BRM P207/02, Snetterton, Aurora AFX Championship

Posted Image
1980, Tony Trimmer, BRM P207/2B, Mallory Park, Aurora AFX Championship

Thanks in advance :up:

Advertisement

#2 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 16:02

Of absolutely no help or even interest at all, but I spoke many times with John Jordan during 1980 and ended up arranging for Marcus Pye to track test the P207. The really exciting bit, though, was that I also swung it to get a couple of laps in the car myself! :love:

The test was going to be at Snett, but - in true BRM style - it all went tits-up about ten days before my dreams were to be fulfilled. From what I remember, a front upright had broken on the chassis during it's last outing and there weren't any more. No spares. End of story. Bugger.

Priding myself as someone who bleeds BRM, it's hard to describe how I felt having had my two greatest wishes - making my 'F1 debut' AND doing so in a BRM - shattered in one fell swoop...

#3 Nordic1

Nordic1

• 66 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 16:14

BRM

Heres an image from 1982 - David Williams at Brands

#4 Philip Whiteman

Philip Whiteman

• 166 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 17:01

This is John - or Johnny - Jordon of Jordan's Mills, Biggleswade and Boeing Stearman fame isn't it?

When I profiled him for Pilot magazine a few years back, did he have some stories to tell! (Not least sending Jimmy Brown into apoplexy when he decided to 'lap' Silverstone circuit at ultra low level in the Stearman and took down the telephone line to the centre.)

Aged about seventy when I interviewed him, Johnny had a stupendous black eye: he'd been set upon by some motoring yoof at a road junction. "I think he ended up in hospital... I ceratinly knocked the b****r down," he told me.

#5 Team Gunston

Team Gunston

• 175 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 17:32

Hi Your-Own-Shadow,

You are interested in post-1977 photos of the BRM P207, aren't you ? Have a look at the following URL, then : [URL=http://www.thef1.com/foro/historia/viewtopic.php?t=628] , and go to the last page. There are several shots of the Jordan BRM P207C there (in colours), as well as a photo of the ground-effect P230 car.

By the way, I wonder which is the correct designation for the Jordan BRM : P207B or P207C ?

Regards,

Philippe

#6 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 10:00

John Jordan was a very good friend of my father. My dad died in '83 but I remember in the 60s we were always parked alongside John in the paddock when he raced his GT40. I remember him taking down the telephone wires at Silverstone AND flying under the old footbridge across the start straight at Snetterton!!! The only pilot I have ever seen doing aerobatics in the dark too..
I lived as a kid in the same village as Louis Stanley, Trumpington just to the south of Cambridge.
One occasion I saw John doing aerobatics was over Stanley's house. Big Lou was having a garden party and John provided the aerial entertainment.

A good friend of mine today has two P207s that he aquired from John. One is restored the other well on its way. Dave Finnigan at Gamlingay near Sandy. He also has John's M6B which is a project for restoration. New bodywork has recently been delivered.

#7 AAA-Eagle

AAA-Eagle

• 1,044 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 05:51

If it is a little bit interesting I have this information about John Jordan:

Posted Image
John Jordan, now 80 years old has been at Holme Mills near Biggleswade since 1948. His passions are planes, cars and milling.
Living just 3 miles from Old Warden, whenever he heard Richard Shuttleworth's plane start he cycled over and watched from the gates. One day Richard beckoned him to come over and pointed at the front cockpit. Neither said a word as he put his thumb up, left his bike and got into the plane. They only flew for about 10 minutes but that was enough to make John keen on flying.

He was in the RAF (139 Squadron) at the beginning of the war flying Blenheims. Then he joined the ATA (Air Transport Auxilliary) flying Spitfires (232 different ones!) out of Castle Bromwich. He flew planes in several films including Biggles, playing the part of Baron Von Stanoff. Whilst flying for Fleetways in America he was asked to fly over Everest in his Stearman biplane. He needed to reach over 28,000 feet but only managed 23,000 and ended up with frostbite. He has not flown since.

He also watched Richard motor racing and developed a passion for that as well. 20 years later he bought Stanley BRM and only sold it two years ago. He says he has "More or less finished motor racing now".

He has always enjoyed flour milling which he learnt by correspondence course. He was brought up to like it - his Great Grandfather started Holme Mills, followed by his Grandfather. His Father set up in Sandy as a corn mill miller and coal merchant. He is disappointed that the Mill is now almost closed as too small and not competitive.

He admits to knowing nothing about flowers and decor - the lovely garden and house are the result of the efforts of his wife and eldest son Bill.

#8 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 12:48

I remember seeing John Jordan out in a P201 at a Silverstone Libre race in early 1979. I guess he got the car after acquiring the assets of BRM in late 78 perhaps? Also entered was Bobby Bell's P153.

#9 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,217 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 13:20

Maybe I should post a photo of the BRM that lives out here?

Big Dave says it's the last BRM ever built... I'll try to remember to get a pic of it in a fortnight or so when I'm in the area.

#10 RaymondMays

RaymondMays

• 205 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 14:12

Originally posted by AAA-Eagle
20 years later he bought Stanley BRM and only sold it two years ago.

I must say that this is a great thread, for those interested in the BRM saga.

Does anyone know to whom Stanley-BRM was sold, and what the current status of it is? Am I correct in thinking that this is a separate entity to Owen-BRM?

How did the BRM name (and logo) come to be used on the Le Mans car of the mid-late 1990's?

#11 my_own_shadow

my_own_shadow

• 216 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 19:36

Good work, guys :up: Thank you for the links to Jordan-BRM photos and for the stuff already posted! But I have one more request: could anybody provide me with information about how much John Jordan paid for BRM, the exact date of this deal? Of course any other materials will be appreciated...

#12 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 19:43

Ever since I posted the earlier post, a nagging doubt has been troubling me...

Could it have actually been a P201 I'd set up for the track test as opposed to a P207? I'm certain about the front upright business, so did one run circa 1980? Can't have, surely...