Brett Lunger

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#1 lungerfan

lungerfan

• 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 17:46

hello, my name is david pote. i am currently trying to
get f1 driver brett lunger elected into the Delaware Sports hall of fame. I have basic information
on his F1 career, but need to get additional background info. I will be presenting his case for election on November 14 in Dover, De. Any, and I mean any information you can give me, especially
and personal recollections, would be greatly appreciated. As we all know, Lunger seems to be the
forgotten man in American F1 history, and I believe his election to the Delaware Sports Hall of Fame
is long overdue. Please help me right this oversight. Thank you very much for your time on this.
Info can also be sent to me directly at jrffries@hotmail.com

Advertisement

#2 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 18:09

Not that I can help in that regard, but have you had any contact with Brett directly on this matter? From my experiences with Halls of Fame, it would be a considerable help.

#3 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 18:55

I had a few chats with Brett in his pre-F1 days, but the funniest was the first occasion. At Oulton Park for the 1972 F2 race on a drenched, cold and soaking wet March day my friend and I trudged relentlessly round the paddock in search of autographs and - of course - stickers!

We happened upon the Space Racing area, consulted the programme and determined that the driver was someone we'd never heard of. Undeterred by his lack of fame, we crept in through a gap in the awning and most politely asked the chap working on the front suspension if he knew where Mr Lunger was. He graciously offered to find him for us, went to the back of the awning and stuck his head into the truck. "Brett? There are some guys here to see you!" he shouted, upon which he turned on his heel, walked back over to us and said "Hi - I'm Brett. What can I do for you?"

We were gobsmacked! A real racing driver was kidding around with us! Well, we were only fourteen and at just our second race after all... He duly signed our books, gave us a couple of stickers and we went on our merry way with broad smiles on our faces having wished him good luck. We had a new 'mate'!!

I'll send you a couple of (poor quality) pics direct.

#4 MCS

MCS

• 4,687 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 19:27

Originally posted by Twin Window
I had a few chats with Brett in his pre-F1 days, but the funniest was the first occasion. At Oulton Park for the 1972 F2 race on a drenched, cold and soaking wet March day my friend and I trudged relentlessly round the paddock in search of autographs and - of course - stickers!

We happened upon the Space Racing area, consulted the programme and determined that the driver was someone we'd never heard of. Undeterred by his lack of fame, we crept in through a gap in the awning and most politely asked the chap working on the front suspension if he knew where Mr Lunger was. He graciously offered to find him for us, went to the back of the awning and stuck his head into the truck. "Brett? There are some guys here to see you!" he shoouted, upon which he turned on his heel, walked back over to us and said "Hi - I'm Brett. What can I do for you?"

We were gobsmacked! A real racing driver was kidding around with us! Well, we were only fourteen and at just our second race after all... He duly signed our books, gave us a couple of stickers and we went on our merry way with broad smiles on our faces having wished him good luck. We had a new 'mate'!!

I'll send you a couple of (poor quality) pics direct.

:lol: Twinny, this reminds me of my first encounter with Brett Lunger a year later at Oulton Park when he asked me my name and then personalised his signature for me. I was quite taken aback.

I'd already collected a fair few autographs, but this was the first time I'd been asked my name...

Having read your posts and seen your pictures it's obvious that we must have walked by each other so many times at Oulton, Mallory, Silverstone, Aintree, Cadwell in those days...

Whatever...

MCS

#5 TIPO61

TIPO61

• 598 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 19:50

As Mike Argetsinger's father was intrumental in Brett's career perhaps a PM to him will help your cause. I met Brett a few times and enjoyed his company. Pretty damn good driver too.

#6 Team Gunston

Team Gunston

• 175 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 20:09

Heh ! Did you know that Brett Lunger had an unofficial, albeit well documented and very, very well illustrated website ?

Look at this address : http://digilander.li...it/BrettLunger/

A wonderful website from my point of view and, to my great surprise, an Italian one !

Regards,

Philippe

#7 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 20:12

Originally posted by MCS

:lol: Twinny, this reminds me of my first encounter with Brett Lunger a year later at Oulton Park when he asked me my name and then personalised his signature for me. I was quite taken aback.

I'd already collected a fair few autographs, but this was the first time I'd been asked my name...

Well, funny you should say that, Mark...

Posted Image

...it was the first time I'd been asked too!

Having read your posts and seen your pictures it's obvious that we must have walked by each other so many times at Oulton, Mallory, Silverstone, Aintree, Cadwell in those days...

...and no doubt shoving each other out of the way to get to the stickers!

:up:

#8 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,758 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 20:30

Why on earth did he keep changing his helmet design? Seems to have had at least 5 in Formula 1...mostly in blue, but a plain white as well.

#9 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 20:32

He used two different ones in 1973!

#10 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 20:55

From a time I was still visiting a hairdresser : Zolder 1976, Brett with my deerstalker :

Posted Image

(The girl is my sister-in-law). I remember him as a very nice guy. I'm pretty sure I have a picture somewhere of his McLaren. I'll have to look it up though.

#11 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 21:00

Brilliant! BTW I had one of those T-shirts too, Luc!

#12 MCS

MCS

• 4,687 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 21:03

Well, funny you should say that, Mark...

Posted Image

...it was the first time I'd been asked too!

Yep, that was it (rounded exclamation mark!) - wish I could find it :mad:

As you used to say - "everything has to be somewhere."

Very obviously you haven't experienced my "garage" or the contents therein, although in fairness, I'm sometimes happily surprised.

Mark S

Oh, WOW! (just seen Luc's picture :clap: )

#13 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,776 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 21:06

And there I was thinking that my Brett Lunger autograph was rare :lol: Crystal Palace 1972 - without digging out the book I can't recall if it was dedicated, but I do know he was chatting to an up-and-coming Austrian chap, who also signed .... Niki Lauda of course!

#14 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 21:10

Originally posted by MCS

Very obviously you haven't experienced my "garage" or the contents therein, although in fairness, I'm sometimes happily surprised.

Ditto the loft here...

An 'unusual' shot of Brett at the 1972 Victory Race...

Posted Image

...in Jock Russell's McRae GM1. He had a mega-spin going into Druids - he must have revolved three or four times! Anyone remember that?! We had a cup of coffee with him afterwards, but he wasn't as impressed with his gyrations as we'd been!

#15 MCS

MCS

• 4,687 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 21:56

Ditto the loft here...

An 'unusual' shot of Brett at the 1972 Victory Race...

Posted Image

...in Jock Russell's McRae GM1. He had a mega-spin going into Druids - he must have revolved three or four times! Anyone remember that?! We had a cup of coffee with him afterwards, but he wasn't as impressed with his gyrations as we'd been!

Whoa!!! As time goes by, the more you forget... :

Mark

#16 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 22:39

Three 1973 pics I took of Brett, as already forwarded to lungerfan...

Early season at Brands...
Posted Image

Winner at Snett...
Posted Image

Season's finale at Brands...
Posted Image

#17 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 08:06

I have a Lunger picture. Taken on the approach to Hawthorns at the 1976 British Grand Prix.

Posted Image
...and I just remembered, I have another!

Posted Image

Same track, 2 years later.

These 2 pictures tend to re-inforce the comment about helmet colours.

#18 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 10:37

I will forever remember Brett for holding the outright lap record on the great old Snetterton circuit when it was last used before it was ruined when cut in half. Good Friday 1973. Im 18. ? something at 124 mph, in the F5000 T101.

#19 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 975 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 12:56

I thoroughly agree that Brett has been underrated. I think that he did a bully good job as a privateer in F1, particularly in the M23.

Two things which are standouts in my memory.
I read a story about an F5000 race in Britain where Brett was back a couple of rows at an event that poured rain. As the field took the green flag, the spray from the tires of the cars ahead of him made visibility virtually zero. I was shocked to read that he just kept his boot in the throttle until he heard the engines of the cars in front of him back off. A rather ballsy way to determine that corner one was at hand, no?

The second is from spectating on the pit straight at Mosport for the 1967 CanAm go. Brett lost control of his McLaren Mk2 on the last corner and pounded the pit wall armco a ton. Brett was OK but the car was pretty much used up. Still, better that than having him careen into the pit stalls.

Advertisement

#20 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 13:25

lungerfan,
Give us the postal and e-mail address of the committee responsible and some idea of the criteria they use and I'm sure several TNF members will write letters making a case.
I think letters would carry more weight with the committee than e-mails

#21 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,538 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 14:12

If it helps, his F5000 record stretched from 1968 to 1976 including 55 starts (+ 5 DNS), 5 wins, 4 second places and 5 third places. He drove Caldwell, Lola, McRae, Trojan and Eagle F5000 cars.

Allen

#22 AAA-Eagle

AAA-Eagle

• 1,044 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 14:30

Here is Brett at Mosport in 1976, sitting in his Surtees TS19:
Posted Image

#23 MCS

MCS

• 4,687 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 14:57

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
I will forever remember Brett for holding the outright lap record on the great old Snetterton circuit when it was last used before it was ruined when cut in half. Good Friday 1973. Im 18. ? something at 124 mph, in the F5000 T101.

I saw a picture somewhere recently of a group of F5000 cars entering the hairpin - wonderful.

I found my visit to Snetterton earlier this year very depressing indeed. At least they re-opened the full circuit at Oulton Park, even though (in my opinion) they've subsequently ruined it with those awful chicanes... :(

MCS

#24 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 19:13

I remember pointing my camera at him in the Oulton Park paddock on his first F5000 visit there. He carefully composed himself and smiled into the lens, waiting until I had got over the shock of a driver actually taking time to do such a thing! I, too, was mightily impressed and he came over as an extremely nice guy.

What was it about all of us remebering him at Oulton Park?

#25 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 21:31

Originally posted by MCS

I found my visit to Snetterton earlier this year very depressing indeed.

Funnily enough, I was thinking about Snett yesterday... Then I realised that I've not been there since October '73!!

Originally posted by Alan Cox

What was it about all of us remebering him at Oulton Park?

You're right - it's weird, isn't it...

And BTW - D-Type has a good point. But where is lungerfan? :confused:

#26 MCS

MCS

• 4,687 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 07:25

Funnily enough, I was thinking about Snett yesterday... Then I realised that I've not been there since October '73!!You're right - it's weird, isn't it...

Don't go back, you'll be disappointed. I started a thread "Please! Some happy Snetterton memories..." earlier this year. Very depressing thread if I recall, except for the splendid pics that Mr Beard posted.

MCS

#27 lungerfan

lungerfan

• 2 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 02:37

sorry for the late reply but i am using a friends computer to get this info and i don't have daily access like others. I can't thank you all enough for the wonderful stories and facts concerning Brett
In regards to the people wishing to write letters in support of Brett's election, the way this Hall of Fame works, I would need to have the recommendations in my hand to present to the membership of the Hall when I make my presentation on November 14th. You can snail mail me if
you wish at the following address: David Pote, 319 east Stein Hwy., Seaford, Del. 19973. Just to
tell all of you who responded, the real irony is that unlike all of you, I have never had the pleasure
of meeting Mr. Lunger. I just happened to be a fan of his because he came from my home state
I hope to get to have that pleasure in the near future. Once again, I can't thank you enough
for everything,and I hope to be a more occasional visitor to this sight in the future. It was also
nice to see one of Brett's old Mclarens at the Monterrey Historic event--even won his F1 class
in their race.

#28 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 03:13

Brett Lunger served in Viet-Nam in the USMC at about the same time I was there in a different part of the country in the Army. We talked about it on the few occasions we met at races. For a Jarhead, he wasn't a bad racer. Seriously, I was always a bit puzzled how he seemed to be standing in the wrong line at the wrong time in the racing business, the US F5000 series being an exception, but even then....

#29 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 06:00

Don

Can you perhaps tell us more in what capacity Brett served while in Vietnam, or is that classified info? Was he actively involved in combat or served more in a "supportive role", i.e. admin, logistics, etc.

In several publications it is being mentioned that Brett had the rank of "captain". Even considering the fact that he was what we would call a junior officer (at least in the military milieu in which I operated), one does not get a rank like that on a sliver plate. He must have been a darn good soldier or did people receive "easy" promotion in rank, whilst serving in Vietnam?

#30 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 07:01

Originally posted by lungerfan
Just to tell all of you who responded, the real irony is that unlike all of you, I have never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Lunger.

Well, to be honest...neither have I! :blush:

So...does ANYONE here know how to get a hold of Brett?

#31 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 08:18

Originally posted by Don Capps

Brett Lunger served in Viet-Nam...

Indeed he did, and it was a fact often mentioned by commentators at the time over here now you mention it. This is what grandprix.com says : He moved on to single-seater racing but then had to stop his racing career to do his American military service. After basic training he joined the US Marine Corps and became a member of one of the elite reconnaissance platoons. In 1968 he was sent to Vietnam were he was involved in dangerous jungle reconnaissance missions against the Viet Cong forces. After 13 months in action he went back to the US and was demobilized... Their profile also reminds us that he was born into the family who established the du Pont empire.

Another important landmark in Brett's life which we've managed to omit thus far is the part he played in rescuing Niki Lauda from his Ferrari at the Nurburgring in 1976.

In fairness to Brett, Don, he was also a fairly regular front-runner in the European F5000 series during 1973, winning twice in Sid Taylor's Trojan.

#32 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 08:39

After basic training he joined the US Marine Corps and became a member of one of the elite reconnaissance platoons. In 1968 he was sent to Vietnam were he was involved in dangerous jungle reconnaissance missions against the Viet Cong forces.

Ah, a recce then...

Cheers to you Brett! :up:

#33 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 12:54

Lunger was an LT in Force Recon up in I Corps while I was in the Lurp & Ranger business down south -- same line of work, different places. Try to name many more like him in 1970s.... I genuinely like the guy and knowing what he did as an LT did not hurt. I think he left the Corps as a captain and did some time in the USMCR. To his credit, he never made much of a deal of time in Viet-Nam, he just did it -- not many of the other upper class kids followed his example.

#34 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 13:53

Originally posted by Don Capps
To his credit, he never made much of a deal of time in Viet-Nam, he just did it -- not many of the other upper class kids followed his example.

The mark of a good soldier.

I wonder if lungerfan can perhaps tell us what criteria they use to inlude someone in the Delaware Sports Hall of Fame? From what one can establish on this thread, Brett have a few decent qualities as individual:

1) international sportsman
2) life saver (Nürburgring 1976)
3) patriotic soldier
4) all-round good guy

What more do they need?

#35 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 14:17

My memory of Brett is connected to... touring cars (what else!).
In 1977, he partnered a local driver in a tatty Opel Commodore GS/E "to learn the circuit". Makes some sense.
His memory of Zandvoort was probably not too good, since he repeated the act in 1978, partnering another local driver in an Opel Kadett GTE.
Guess what? He came back in 1979, partnering yet another local man in a BMW 530.
All cars were group 1+, with limited potential of a high finish. Results were DNF, 12th (4th in class) and another DNF.
I guess learning the circuit was not the only reason. He just liked to race.
Mind you, I liked him for doing just that.

#36 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,118 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 09:20

On Zandvoort, he also did an Aurora race there in mid-78, I think also to learn the track prior to the GP. He put his then new M26 on pole, but IIRC, didn't finish the race.

#37 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 21:51

Just found another great picture of Brett taken during practice at Zolder 1978 :

Posted Image

Can't find the negative of the Chesterfield McLaren :mad:

#38 adelmar17

adelmar17

• 4 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:19

Hi Guys!

I'm Italian Fan of f1 of the senventies and collect photos and info
about these years, in particular of Brett Lunger.
Can anyone help me?

Thx

PS: sorry for my "little english".... :|

#39 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,546 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:29

I can offer this humble effort.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#40 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:58

Hi adelmar17

As you can see I've merged your post with this older thread regarding Brett, which I hope you find interesting.

You'll find all manner of other topics by using the search engine - 'Search BB' - located in the top-right corner of all TNF pages.

#41 Paolo

Paolo

• 1,677 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:45

It's surprising that no one mentioned why Mr. Lunger had a Chesterfield sponsorship....
I read, many years ago , probably on Autosprint, that during his Vietnam military service he saved the life of the Chesterfield heir...

#42 Paolo

Paolo

• 1,677 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:54

Well, it was on the Italian site already mentioned , too :
http://digilander.li...tLunger/bio.htm

"Dal 1968 il nostro è impegnato al fronte, dove si distingue per coraggiose azioni nelle pericolose missioni di ricognizione effettuate nella giungla alla caccia delle forze Vietcong; in particolare il nostro Brett salva uno dei figli del proprietario della Liggett, l'azienda produttrice delle note sigarette Chesterfield, il quale per riconoscenza finanzierà, negli anni successivi, la carriera automobilistica di Lunger."

"Starting in 1968, he's busy at the front line, where he distinguishes himself in courageous actions in dangerous jungle recon missions against Vietcong forces; here our Brett saves one of the sons of the owner of Liggett, the company producing the famous Chesterfield cigarettes, who, out of gratitude, will finance in subsequent years Lunger's motorsport career."

#43 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 15:35

How bizzare - I found my two missing 1977 Top Trump cards over the weekend. One was Brett!! The other was Hans Binder in a Surtees.

#44 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 18:58

So...has there been any progress regarding the Delaware Sports Hall of Fame?

#45 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 19:04

The pictures I posted before are gone since my web browser changed from "planet internet" to "scarlet".
However I've found some more pictures :

Zolder 1976:
Posted Image

Zolder 1977:
Posted Image

Brands Hatch 1978:
Posted Image

Zandvoort 1978:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#46 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 19:44

Correct me if I am wrong but isnt Lark a Japanese brand? I recall seeing them on Japanese F2 cars in the 80s.

#47 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 14:47

Yes, I believe you're right, but I haven't got a clue what it stands for. Fags, perhaps?

#48 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 14:53

Originally posted by fines
Yes, I believe you're right, but I haven't got a clue what it stands for. Fags, perhaps?

At one point I am sure they were a Philip Morris ciggie brand, maybe when on Hoshino's F2 machine?

#49 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,118 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 10:50

Liggett & Myers I'd have thought rather than P Morris.

#50 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:10

Lark is cigarette brand sold in Asia: Japan, Korea, .. and also USA and England. At least they are made there under licence.

There was also a Lark McLaren GTR at Le Mans 1997 in the same livery as it drove in Japan GT championship in 1996. Was this the same Lark sponsorship? The lettertyping was quite different.