Photo

Personal photos from the track

• Please log in to reply
4522 replies to this topic

#4401 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 440 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 14:16

Every year at the Indianapolis 500 there's a fly past of something 'interesting'.
One year the US AV-8B version of the Harrier flew over, hovered, bowed to the crowd & flew off. An American gent near me was heard to say "Gee I never knew we had anything like that!".

In the first 500 race after the 'Twin Towers' attacks, National Guard jets were constantly patrolling overhead at high altitude, from early morning, leaving contrails. By the end of the race, a sunny sky was almost completely obliterated by the contrails. Made you feel safe though.

BTW - I stand to be corrected but I believe the US modifications improved the handling, stability & safety - at the cost of weight & performance.

Edited by DogEarred, 26 February 2013 - 14:21.

Advertisement

#4402 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 737 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 16:28

It was the 1980 British GP where the Harrier blew away South Bank (my photo).....

Posted Image

...before buzzing the back of the pits....

Posted Image

Edited by Nigel Beresford, 26 February 2013 - 16:28.

#4403 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,127 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 16:39

It was the 1980 British GP where the Harrier blew away South Bank (my photo).....

Posted Image

...before buzzing the back of the pits....

Posted Image

I'm trying to remember which year it was that the English Electric Lightning flew along the Brands pit straight at below the height of the granstand roof. It was only on one of the qualifying/practice days for the GP, though, so obviously that was OK.

#4404 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 496 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 16:54

At the Grand Prix when the film "Grand Prix" was being shot at Brands Hatch, all of the marshals had to be on track very early for some on track filming. The Red Arrows also arrived for a fly round to get their bearing for their display later that day, when all of a sudden one of them appeared over the trees by Clearways, and came down low into the bowl with its smoke turned on! End of filming.

#4405 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,718 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:00

Thanks for your kind words. They have been taken over years, with less then state of the art cameras. I have moved house recently and I know there are a few more in that elusive shoe box, if I ever find it, I will post some. How about this, the RAF Red Arrows? flying lower then my seat in the grand stands, either 1974 or 1978

Posted Image

:eek: Christ...... that is deeply impressive/scary .... :up: :up: :up:

It looks scary now, but I wonder if any of us would have thought that at the time, before we'd all been conditioned by Elf'n Safety?

I was in the Main Grandstand and seeing the crossover and solo passes happening beneath my feet was impressive. I was getting somewhat blasé about aero displays but this one was special!

#4406 HiRich

HiRich

• 388 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 15:01

Well if we're talking of displays down the valley at Brands, there was the time Concorde came through stood on its arse, with the afterburners doing most of the "keep me in the sky" work. Which was ... impressive.

And there was the year that the Harrier was doing ballet down at Clearways, and blowing uncle Ken's hospitality tent away.

#4407 alansart

alansart

• 4,015 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 15:59

How about this, the RAF Red Arrows? flying lower then my seat in the grand stands, either 1974 or 1978

Posted Image

I wish they'd done this in 1976. I was on that marshals post in the bottom right hand corner that year :)

#4408 pete53

pete53

• 356 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 16:29

I have a memory of a Vulcan doing a couple of flypasts, probably at at one of the European Grand Prix in 1983 or 1985. I have a picture in my mind of the aircraft first appearing in the distance as a dark shadow in the sky, banking over, and that unmistakable rumble of "thunder". Can anyone else confirm that?

#4409 Julian Roberts

Julian Roberts

• 731 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 17:03

Posted Image

This is the chaos it was causing as seen from the grandstand :eek:

Posted Image
IMG by groupc, on Flickr

#4410 mfd

mfd

• 2,885 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 17:20

This kind of thing, but above a full pit lane:

Strewth! The pilot here, Péter Besenyei is still with us.

#4411 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 18:39

This is the chaos it was causing as seen from the grandstand :eek:

Posted Image
IMG by groupc, on Flickr

Looks like the guy on the sign above the N is about to fall off :eek:

PAR

Edited by Phil Rainford, 28 February 2013 - 18:39.

#4412 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,814 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 19:11

I have a memory of a Vulcan doing a couple of flypasts, probably at at one of the European Grand Prix in 1983 or 1985. I have a picture in my mind of the aircraft first appearing in the distance as a dark shadow in the sky, banking over, and that unmistakable rumble of "thunder". Can anyone else confirm that?

I remember the Vulcan ( well my ears certainly do! ) It cast a shadow over Paddock and made the earth shake, what a piece of equipment! I saw all of the displays at Brands, but the most memorable was the Red Arrows sudenly appearing over the tops of the trees at Clearways, to swoop down into the valley of the circuit, Festival of Speed seems tame by comparison. They are certainly the most skilled of pilots.

Edited by sterling49, 28 February 2013 - 19:13.

#4413 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 7,421 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 20:26

Then those pesky Germans arrived.
Posted Image

So we chased them off with these.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As usual the Yanks turned up halfway through the battle.
Posted Image

Our Nige was so impressed he gave them a wave.
Posted Image

No offence meant to any non Brits reading this :up:

#4414 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 1,750 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 20:46

I thought Basil Fawlty asked you not to mention 'it'. :rolleyes:

Edited by GMACKIE, 28 February 2013 - 20:48.

#4415 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 737 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 22:48

Strewth! The pilot here, Péter Besenyei is still with us.

Thanks for that. I posted that video as an example of the type of thing the other (Russian) pilot did regularly there at Motegi on Indycar weekends before, as Tom Wolfe says, "auguring in" (though as far as I know he did not meet his end at Motegi itself). I believe his wife was also a very proficient aerobatics pilot. I have tried to find a record of his name, but to no avail.

In any case, Motegi has been the site of a pretty nasty aerobatics crash, albeit not on a race weekend....

http://www.mlit.go.j...ort/RA2821K.pdf

Edited by Nigel Beresford, 28 February 2013 - 23:05.

#4416 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,049 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 23:46

Who sponsored the pair of Pitts specials? All I remember is the inverted signwriting

#4417 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:15

I've forgotten, but one of the pilots was historic racer Vic Norman. I think his daughter was one of the wing walkers, but might be wrong about that

#4418 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,481 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:41

Posted Image

Dang, wish I could come up with a scathing comeback. ;)

#4419 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 7,421 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:03

:lol: :up:

Advertisement

#4420 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,690 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:27

I've forgotten, but one of the pilots was historic racer Vic Norman. I think his daughter was one of the wing walkers, but might be wrong about that

The team has gone under numerous names over the years, depending on sponsors. They were the Crunchie Wingwalkers for a while, and also the Utterly Butterly Display Team, as well as team Guinot and they are, currently, the Breitling Wingwalkers. Indeed, they were founded by Norman, who still flies with them and I think you are correct, David, in that his daughter was one of the wingwalkers for a time. At present, they use Boeing Stearmans.
http://www.aerosuper...s.com/thepilots

#4421 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,718 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:42

Who sponsored the pair of Pitts specials? All I remember is the inverted signwriting

For some reason Camel cigarettes comes to mind!

#4422 Julian Roberts

Julian Roberts

• 731 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:20

For some reason Camel cigarettes comes to mind!

I thought/think it was Marlboro ?

#4423 kento11

kento11

• 109 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 21:41

1977 Dutch GP.Pole position going to Mario Andretti's Lotus with Jacques Laffite second in the Ligier-Matra.

Posted Image

#4424 funformula

funformula

• 201 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 23:35

...and Teddy Yip observing the start of his car a few rows behind.
He may have celebrated his one and only podium finish as a team owner two hours later if there had been a few more drops of fuel in the car.
At least Tambay scored two points for fifth place.

#4425 andrea

andrea

• 600 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 14:10

1977 Dutch GP.Pole position going to Mario Andretti's Lotus with Jacques Laffite second in the Ligier-Matra.

Posted Image

Excellent picture, kento. Thanks. Hope you will send more.

#4426 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 14:25

...and Teddy Yip observing the start of his car a few rows behind.
He may have celebrated his one and only podium finish as a team owner two hours later if there had been a few more drops of fuel in the car.
At least Tambay scored two points for fifth place.

That happened a few times in the 70's! How times change.

#4427 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,690 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 14:46

International Trophy 11 April 1976
Posted Image
Loris Kessel - RAM Racing Brabham BT44B/1 12th place

#4428 mrut29

mrut29

• 109 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 17:15

Then those pesky Germans arrived.
Posted Image

So we chased them off with these.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

No offence meant to any non Brits reading this :up:

Well when you Brits can't get the job done we get forced to come in and do it right, no offense to those Brits out ther

#4429 kento11

kento11

• 109 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 19:48

Posted Image

Was this his famous 1991 Canadian GP finish?

#4430 RobertC

RobertC

• 60 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 22:33

Or from the start line, left to right Derek Warwick, Chico Serra and Nelson Piquet. Emerson Fittipaldi can be spotted.

Posted Image
scans1039 by Robert Clayson, on Flickr

Robert

#4431 john winfield

john winfield

• 1,037 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 22:57

Or from the start line, left to right Derek Warwick, Chico Serra and Nelson Piquet. Emerson Fittipaldi can be spotted.

Posted Image
scans1039 by Robert Clayson, on Flickr

Robert

Is this the 1978 British GP F3 race that started with a huge shunt at Paddock? If so, whose fault was it?

#4432 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,178 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 23:04

Del boy I reckon !!

#4433 john winfield

john winfield

• 1,037 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 23:13

Del boy I reckon !!

You could be right Chris. I think he was aiming at Druids before he'd even reached Paddock. And a picture of innocence in the post-crash interview! (Anybody recognise the straight-talking marshall?!)

Edited by john winfield, 06 March 2013 - 23:15.

#4434 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 534 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 15:13

In reply to the Yanks arriving half way through etc. these days I run a small coach tour company and next year happens to be the 100 years since the Great war and already 30000 hotel rooms have been booked in France and Belgium by the Yanks (and Canadiens), they are making sure to be there at the start this time, I in the meantime struggle to find a hotel suitable for a large group which is not already full!

#4435 mfd

mfd

• 2,885 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 15:41

...and next year happens to be the 100 years since the Great war and already 30000 hotel rooms have been booked in France and Belgium by the Yanks (and Canadiens)

Perhaps you could suggest the Americans should delay their visit until April 2017?

#4436 Chris Bloom

Chris Bloom

• 626 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 17:22

Some pictures I took at a Formula One test at Brands Hatch in about May/June 1986. Quality is not great as they were taken with a Praktica with not a great lens,I also scanned from the prints.

If I remember correctly this bloke could drive a bit

Posted Image
Ayrton Senna (Brands Hatch F1 Test 1986) by Chris Bloom, on Flickr

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4437 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 496 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 19:39

In reply to the Yanks arriving half way through etc. these days I run a small coach tour company and next year happens to be the 100 years since the Great war and already 30000 hotel rooms have been booked in France and Belgium by the Yanks (and Canadiens), they are making sure to be there at the start this time, I in the meantime struggle to find a hotel suitable for a large group which is not already full!

Just remove the Canadians from that comment, please. They were there from the beginning as were other Commonwealth countries.

#4438 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,876 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 21:50

Several of these comments have been completely out of order. By all means commemorate the sacrifice made by that generation but don't do it by taking swipes at particular nationalities. Fathers, sons and brothers were lost on all sides.

Picking up on Robin's point, if anyone finds themselves in Normandy with half a day to spare, I thoroughly recommend the Juno Beach Centre, a museum dedicated to 'the war effort made by all Canadians, civilian and military alike, both at home and on the various fronts during the Second World War'.

#4439 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 22:05

Picking up on Robin's point, if anyone finds themselves in Normandy with half a day to spare, I thoroughly recommend the Juno Beach Centre, a museum dedicated to 'the war effort made by all Canadians, civilian and military alike, both at home and on the various fronts during the Second World War'.

Normandy 2011

Posted Image

PAR

Advertisement

#4440 rdmotorsport

rdmotorsport

• 534 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:04

Just remove the Canadians from that comment, please. They were there from the beginning as were other Commonwealth countries.

I do apologies and it is all meant to be tongue in cheek,spending several visits at places like Vimmy Ridge or Normandy etc I really do respect those that were there in the 2 wars,

#4441 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 496 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 18:44

I do apologies and it is all meant to be tongue in cheek,spending several visits at places like Vimmy Ridge or Normandy etc I really do respect those that were there in the 2 wars,

Thanks. I am a Brit and having lived in Canada for more than 30 years, I am well aware that Canadians don't like being taken for Yanks! May be I will be in trouble for calling them Yanks!

#4442 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,814 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 21:13

I truly find it very hard to differentiate between the accents, and my daughter in law is from Nova Scotia...................

#4443 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,481 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 22:36

Thanks. I am a Brit and having lived in Canada for more than 30 years, I am well aware that Canadians don't like being taken for Yanks! May be I will be in trouble for calling them Yanks!

Nah, anyway this Yank don't take offense in that. But I like Canadians better meownself.

#4444 kento11

kento11

• 109 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 22:59

I thought the topic was personal photos from the track....like....Vanderbilt cup, Roosevelt Raceway, Mineola, N.Y. , 1960

Posted Image

#4445 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 22:59

I truly find it very hard to differentiate between the accents, and my daughter in law is from Nova Scotia...................

There's a lot of variety in US accents - deep south/New England/Bronx etc etc

And I wouldn't be surprised if Nova Scotia is different from the rest of Canada

I've found that Canadians tend to pronounce some sounds differently, eg "brone" instead of "brown"

#4446 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 23:18

There's a lot of variety in US accents - deep south/New England/Bronx etc etc

And I wouldn't be surprised if Nova Scotia is different from the rest of Canada

I've found that Canadians tend to pronounce some sounds differently, eg "brone" instead of "brown"

I'm sure you're right David, but to most of us in the UK, any accent from the other side of the Atlantic sounds much the same, we can't tell the difference between Texas, Alaska and Prince Edward Island. Similarly, most of us can't tell the difference between Australia and New Zealand either. There's no prejudice involved though, until quite recently my wife worked at the local hospital. She's originally from Wigan and has a fading Lancashire accent, but most of the Dorset locals thought that she came from Liverpool. Even more remarkable is the fact that these Dorset-born yokels don't think that they have any accent at all, they seem to believe that they all sound like old-style BBC newsreaders.

#4447 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,481 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 00:31

... any accent from the other side of the Atlantic sounds much the same, we can't tell the difference between Texas, Alaska and Prince Edward Island...

That's so funny to hear, because to us of course the accents you mentioned are soooo different. We all call it "English," but there must be 100 varieties of it.

You mention PEI, I can say that the accents in nearby Newfoundland sound altogether like Scottish to me. In fact, that island's closer to Scotland than it is to Denver.

#4448 VWV

VWV

• 279 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 14:29

There are some amazing colour pics, some of them look familiar... http://www.autopuzzl...p?topic=21791.0

#4449 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,876 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 15:26

Being married to a New Jersey girl, I have learn to distinguish between New Yoik and New Joysey but all accents south and west of there are another matter. Thanks to Disney films, my daughters can also do a quite passable "Valley Girl" accent.

#4450 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,814 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 15:34

That's so funny to hear, because to us of course the accents you mentioned are soooo different. We all call it "English," but there must be 100 varieties of it.

You mention PEI, I can say that the accents in nearby Newfoundland sound altogether like Scottish to me. In fact, that island's closer to Scotland than it is to Denver.

I was on a boat to see the Orcas off the Washington Coast and in the end, I had to ask the lovely couple that I was in conversation with, just where they were from, they were Newfies, I had never heard an accent anything like it ! A touch of North American, with scouse, Irish and Scottish brogue thrown in, they had me beat, I can tell you, but now I know !

I can generally tell New Yorkers and Texans, but Canadians, I just can't, I find it really hard, as it would appear they do too! My son was speaking in a shop on Vancouver Island, and the lady called the family out to listen to him speak , apparently, sounding just like Prince Harry :rotfl:
I made a great faux pas in Malaysia a few years ago, was asking a couple of guys from down under about good curry house where we located. They duly told me and got onto their mopeds and bade me farewell, I said that they were emulating Kevin Swantz , they said "who is that?" an Aussie Superbike racer said I, "Aussie ? " they said, "we are Kiwis ! That's the trouble with you scots, you are all the same !"
A brilliant retort and fired with a dead pan expresion and instantly, I nearly dropped my Tiger beer laughing !
The moral of my story is, I no longer guess accents ! :blush: