Photo

Personal photos from the track

• Please log in to reply
4521 replies to this topic

#4451 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 732 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 16:05

I said that they were emulating Kevin Swantz , they said "who is that?" an Aussie Superbike racer said I,

That is deliciously wrong on so many levels!

Edited by Nigel Beresford, 12 March 2013 - 16:08.

Advertisement

#4452 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 16:16

So I spelt it wrong and got confused over the time he spent racing there ! :lol:

#4453 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 732 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 16:24

Please don't be offended - it was a splendid quote. As you probably are aware by now, Texan Kevin Schwantz was the 1993 500cc motorcycle GP champion.

By the way, a good test for differentiating Americans and Canadians is the pronunciation of words like "out" and "about", which Canadians tend to pronounce "oot" and "aboot".

Thanks

Nigel

#4454 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,824 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 16:56

Surely that the Scots? You know, "the Co-op gud with fud."

#4455 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,130 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 17:28

As you probably are aware by now, Texan Kevin Schwantz was the 1993 500cc motorcycle GP champion.

Linguistic minefields are everywhere, if you asked a respectable German woman if she liked Schwanz, you may well get your face slapped, schwanz in German means cock, and I don't mean the kind that crows, don't ask me how I found that out.

Barry mentioned Scottish dialect, an acquaintance from Dumbarton told me that he was "A wee bit corned". What he was telling me was that his hearing was going, in his dialect, "deaf" rhymed with "beef". If BB reverted to the lingo of his birthplace, he might admit to being "A bit mutton", (Mutt & Jeff, rhymes with deaf), I won't bother trying to explain that to any non-UK TNFs.

Isn't language wonderful?

#4456 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,202 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 17:52

One of the first things I learned from this forum many years ago is why the name Fittipaldi might make Swedish girls blush. :eek:

#4457 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,130 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 17:56

One of the first things I learned from this forum many years ago is why the name Fittipaldi might make Swedish girls blush. :eek:

In my admittedly not vast experience of them, there is virtually nothing that makes Swedish girls blush, respectable Swedish women may be quite another matter of course.

#4458 mfd

mfd

• 2,877 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 18:02

Barry mentioned Scottish dialect, an acquaintance from Dumbarton told me that he was "A wee bit corned". What he was telling me was that his hearing was going, in his dialect, "deaf" rhymed with "beef". If BB reverted to the lingo of his birthplace, he might admit to being "A bit mutton", (Mutt & Jeff, rhymes with deaf), I won't bother trying to explain that to any non-UK TNFs.
Isn't language wonderful?

I discovered rhyming slang is universal, not just associated with the UK when I found a World dictionary of it

#4459 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 18:24

By the way, a good test for differentiating Americans and Canadians is the pronunciation of words like "out" and "about", which Canadians tend to pronounce "oot" and "aboot".

See also Post 4446 :)

Advertisement

#4460 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 19:25

Please don't be offended - it was a splendid quote. As you probably are aware by now, Texan Kevin Schwantz was the 1993 500cc motorcycle GP champion.

Thanks

Nigel

No offence taken, it is worth mentioning, I find Canada a particularly hospitable country, we have on two holidays completed 3,000 mile road trips through B.C and it was so enjoyable for the many "30" minute friendships that were struck up, a fabulous country, one of my favourites.

#4461 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford

• 732 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 20:13

Hear, hear. Great cities, knowledgeable race fans and old-school race tracks which produced dramatic races (excepting, perhaps, the Vancouver street track ..but what a city!).

#4462 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,452 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 22:18

Thanks to Disney films, my daughters can also do a quite passable "Valley Girl" accent.

Tote-lee...

I can generally tell New Yorkers and Texans, but Canadians, I just can't, I find it really hard, as it would appear they do too!

Please allow me to assist...

New Yorker: "You toucha my cah, I breaka you face."
Texan: "Y'all mess with my horse and you'll meet my six-shooter."
Canadian: "Yah, Hey Dere, a-boat my boat, it's full a lobstah."

Thanks for allowing me to clear this up.

#4463 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:47

Love it ! As it is so cold out , I am going out for a Ruby Murray tonight !

Edited by sterling49, 13 March 2013 - 11:48.

#4464 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,130 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:11

Love it ! As it is so cold out , I am going out for a Ruby Murray tonight !

Let's hope that doesn't give you a touch of the old Earthas...

#4465 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,811 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:21

Let's hope that doesn't give you a touch of the old Earthas...

:rotfl: :up:

#4466 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,622 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 15:54

1976 Tourist Trophy at Silverstone, and the debut of the Broadspeed Jaguar XJ12
Posted Image
Lap one, and it heads the Luigi Team BMW of Gunnar Nilsson
Posted Image
Derek Bell three-wheeling round Club

Edited by Alan Cox, 03 April 2013 - 12:39.

#4467 alansart

alansart

• 4,005 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 16:04

1976 Tourist Trophy at Silverstone, and the debut of the Broadspeed Jaguar XJ12

We all expected so much of the Jags but it was all a bit disappointing in the end.

I was a Fire Marshal at Club Exit for that meeting so you must have been close by :)

#4468 alansart

alansart

• 4,005 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 16:06

Posted Image
Lap one, and it heads the Luigi Team BMW of Gunnar Nilsson

Stuart Graham's Brut 33 Camaro in 4th?

#4469 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,130 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 16:09

We all expected so much of the Jags but it was all a bit disappointing in the end.

The aerodynamics must have been appalling, I'm sure it never went near a wind tunnel, but I wonder what the Cd was?

#4470 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,622 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 16:14

Stuart Graham's Brut 33 Camaro in 4th?

:up: Shared with Reine Wisell

#4471 alansart

alansart

• 4,005 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 16:44

The aerodynamics must have been appalling, I'm sure it never went near a wind tunnel, but I wonder what the Cd was?

Ironically it was quick but very unreliable.

Cd?...probably fitted with an 8 Track :)

Edited by alansart, 02 April 2013 - 16:45.

#4472 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,566 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 17:37

With a frontal area like that, perhaps the Cx was a more significant issue, not to mention the weight of the thing, more to stop etc. I always understood that the biggest problem for reliability was the inability to pump a sufficiently large volume of lubricant through the engine.
Roger Lund

#4473 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,022 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 22:07

I thought it was oil surge and the regulations didn't allow additional baffles or a dry sump conversion. But it was a long time ago ...

#4474 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,119 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:06

I thought it was oil surge and the regulations didn't allow additional baffles or a dry sump conversion. But it was a long time ago ...

I think the problem initially was persuading the thing to stop, due to the weight, but once they'd sorted that out, the new-found 'g' sloshed all the oil forward in the sump under braking, leading to new problems. But I may have 'mis-remembered'.

#4475 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:30

TWR had access to the Broadspeed Jag engines before the TWR XJS program, Allan Scott in his book refers to the many unresloved issues Broadspeed had with the XJC, oil surge and brakes being two of the biggest.

One of the biggest hurdles TWR had was to pursude Jaguar that the project would not end up going the same way.

The TT was alway one of my favorite meetings. It used to be held in September, and the date fell close to my birthday so it was always a bit of a birthday treat for me. Stopping for breakfast enroute at Amersham being highlight.

#4476 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,622 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:28

A couple for Mallory Dan - 1978 Donington '50,000' F2 race
Posted Image
Elio de Angelis - ICI Chevron B42
Posted Image
Ingo Hoffman - Project Four March 782

#4477 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,671 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 15:05

Lovely stuff Alan. Di Angelis in the ICI 'Star car', drive bought by his rich Daddy I gather.

#4478 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,671 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 15:05

Lovely stuff Alan. Di Angelis in the ICI 'Star car', drive bought by his rich Daddy I gather.

#4479 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:55

Donington with trees as a backdrop.... that really makes it seem a long time ago (it was..)

Advertisement

#4480 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,659 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:32

Is it just me or is there an echo in here?

:stoned:

#4481 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,659 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:36

Posted Image

Line astern in practice at Silverstone 1977 British GP Silverstone - Andretti & Nilsson (Mario would retire from the race with Gunnar finishing third)

:wave:

#4482 charles r

charles r

• 5,569 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:39

Gorgeous shot Steve.

#4483 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 741 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:53

Nice shot, I'm just sorting out my own practice photos from Silverstone '12 today, I wonder how they will look in 25 years time.

Is that photo at Club?

#4484 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,053 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:17

Was tobacco advertisment back then allready banned in the UK or are the JPS logos just not visible because of the perspective?

#4485 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,202 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:48

There wasn't a ban - the McLarens and the Ligier carried their usual cigarette branding. For some reason, though, the Lotuses didn't. ISTR some talk of a voluntary agreement not to carry the branding, although Andretti still had 'John Player' on the front of his helmet.

#4486 john winfield

john winfield

• 1,032 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 14:27

Is that photo at Club?

It's at Becketts, I think. Great photo.

#4487 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,622 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 15:34

There wasn't a ban - the McLarens and the Ligier carried their usual cigarette branding. For some reason, though, the Lotuses didn't. ISTR some talk of a voluntary agreement not to carry the branding, although Andretti still had 'John Player' on the front of his helmet.

With such an iconic livery (conceived by Simon Hadfield's father, George, Noel Stanbury and Barry Foley), the wording 'John Player Special' was superfluous. Anyone who looked at them just knew it was a JPS packet on wheels.

#4488 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,986 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 16:27

With such an iconic livery (conceived by Simon Hadfield's father, George, Noel Stanbury and Barry Foley), the wording 'John Player Special' was superfluous. Anyone who looked at them just knew it was a JPS packet on wheels.

Conversely, as a lifelong non smoker & motor sports fan, packets of John Player Special, Gold Leaf, Marlboro, Gitanes etc reminded me of the racecars. :smoking:

#4489 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,685 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 16:35

TWR had access to the Broadspeed Jag engines before the TWR XJS program, Allan Scott in his book refers to the many unresloved issues Broadspeed had with the XJC, oil surge and brakes being two of the biggest.

One of the biggest hurdles TWR had was to pursude Jaguar that the project would not end up going the same way.

The TT was alway one of my favorite meetings. It used to be held in September, and the date fell close to my birthday so it was always a bit of a birthday treat for me. Stopping for breakfast enroute at Amersham being highlight.

The wonder was that Ralph Broad actually took on this project in the first place after his previous experience of the bean counters who were controlling the earlier Triumph Dolomite Sprint campaign (and BL in general) with all its attendant problems, including the car's basic mechanical failings, the reluctance to use even basic things like alloy wheels because they were more expensive than steel ones, inadequate brakes and much more.

Read Tony Dron's article in the May Octane, it is an indictment of the whole ethos of far too much of the British car industry of this and other periods, not least the practice of using your customers as unpaid development hacks, something which other British manufacturers were equally guilty of.

In fact the wrong Jaguar was chosen, without going into detail the XJS was far more adaptable for racing than the XJC, regardless of the regulations in force.

#4490 john aston

john aston

• 803 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:11

Posted Image

Line astern in practice at Silverstone 1977 British GP Silverstone - Andretti & Nilsson (Mario would retire from the race with Gunnar finishing third)

I was there - I think mainly around Woodcote that day. The really shocking thing about the picture is how well it portrays the proximity of punter to racer. No fencing , just some scaffolding to lean on. Mentioning tobacco and Nilsson, I was watching at Becketts in 75? when Gunnar crashed. coolly exited the remains of his F3 car, wandered over to me and cadged a fag. I was happy to oblige.

#4491 MCS

MCS

• 3,530 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:12

..I was there - I think mainly around Woodcote that day. The really shocking thing about the picture is how well it portrays the proximity of punter to racer. No fencing , just some scaffolding to lean on...

Becketts for me, on raceday anyway.

But everything is relative, with hindsight, isn't it? That was normal then and I am pleased to say that my myopic view still ensures it feels normal now! Always hated the catch fencing though...

#4492 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,189 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 23:44

Is it just me or is there an echo in here?

:stoned:

And a touch of jealously from M.D.

#4493 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,659 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:06

Nice shot, I'm just sorting out my own practice photos from Silverstone '12 today, I wonder how they will look in 25 years time.

Is that photo at Club?

It's at Becketts, I think. Great photo.

Becketts is correct. I was in the Stowe grandstand for the race whilst on practice days I liked to wander round taking photos at various corners other than where I would be for the GP.

#4494 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:22

In fact the wrong Jaguar was chosen, without going into detail the XJS was far more adaptable for racing than the XJC, regardless of the regulations in force.

As came to pass of course...but under Gp.A regulations which didn't come into force until 5 years later.
I don't think the XJS physically qualified for the earlier Gp2 rules did they?

#4495 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 868 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 14:07

Becketts is correct. I was in the Stowe grandstand for the race whilst on practice days I liked to wander round taking photos at various corners other than where I would be for the GP.

I was at Stowe during the grand prix (on the roof of a friend's camper van) having spent the practice days wandering the circuit.

Posted Image
What a great battle between Watson and Hunt.

David

#4496 john winfield

john winfield

• 1,032 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 14:47

What a great battle between Watson and Hunt.

It was. I had been at Dijon a couple weeks earlier - another good battle - and the gods weren't smiling on Wattie there either; it would have been satisfying to see that beautiful Brabham win a grand prix. At least John deserved his slice of luck when he won at Silverstone in 1981.

Back to 1977. On race day we were at Copse, with a view of the pit straight. I have a memory of Niki Lauda, plugging away unspectacularly in third or fourth, unable to stay with Watson and Hunt. Each time the Ferrari appeared under the Motor (?) bridge, it moved in an exaggerated manner to the inside of the track, then back to the outside for the racing line through Copse. He wasn't necessarily defending the inside line - he did the same manoeuvre when circulating on his own.
I couldn't see any debris, nor oil, so I assume that the track there must have been bumpy, and Niki avoided it when he could. I don't remember others doing quite such an exaggerated swoop, so perhaps the 312T2 was particularly sensitive to the uneven surface.

Edited by john winfield, 13 May 2013 - 14:48.

#4497 alansart

alansart

• 4,005 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 14:51

I was a marshal at Woodcote where in Pre Qualifying David Purley had a quick spin with that sticking throttle, and then he got to Becketts :(

Andretti's engine went bang near the end of the race and he stood/knelt on the bank next to me until it was all over. Although obviously a bit fed up he was extremely polite and thanked us when he left. Pure class :up:

#4498 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 16:26

Arron and I were making our Grand Prix debuts watching from Club............since then he has attended one or two more then me :)

PAR

#4499 DOHC

DOHC

• 11,860 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 19:02

Posted Image

Beautiful shot! :up:

Advertisement

#4500 SEdward

SEdward

• 833 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 21:11

That was the first time I ever splashed out on a grandstand seat at a Grand Prix, at Stowe.

Strangely enough, my one abiding memory of that day is seeing Stephen South arriving on the Hangar Straight upside down a few feet above Derek Daley's yellow Chevron in the supporting F3 race.
According to "formula2.net", no less than 85 cars, and many future illustrious names, were entered for that race!

Happy days!
Edward