Photo

Congratulations Joe Fan...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 06:23

...on finally succeeding in getting Masten into the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame! :up:

Or maybe that should be :smoking:

Advertisement

#2 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 07:24

Good news!!

Can you perhaps tell us more...

I also still would like to know what criteria is being used in getting someone in a "Sports Hall of Fame". Are there set standerds and rules??

There is not such a thing as a "Sports Hall of Fame" in my country, so it all is a bit vague to me.

A while ago a chap told us about his efforts to get similar recognition for Brett Lunger and I then also asked what criteria is being used. Nobody could answer me then.

#3 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 08:18

Originally posted by Hieronymus
I also still would like to know what criteria is being used in getting someone in a "Sports Hall of Fame". Are there set standerds and rules??

Yes, but it's not uniform nationally in the US (for example) - they differ from organization to organization, state to state.

In Hawaii, the basic guidelines are as follows for automatic qualification for nomination:

Any of the following:
1. Olympic Medalist
2. World Record Holder (sanctioned associations)
3. Inductees in recognized International or National Halls of Fame.
4. Professional athletes who have been voted to association all-pro teams or members of a world championship team.
5. Residency: Must have a strong local connection.

Contingent Qualification:
Significant participation in the development of an athletic program (i.e., Pioneers and Contributors). (This is not to dilute the quality of the primary honors. It merely provides an opportunity to honor the person who does not fit exactly into the automatic qualification categories.) Exceptions: Winners on the LPGA, PGA, Senior PGA, JPA; World Champions of Professional Windsurfing and Surfing, Sumo, any sport recognized by the International Olympic Committee or sanctioned by the HSHOF Commission.

The HSHOF's Selection Committee (mostly individuals from local sports media backgrounds) then votes on each nomination. They have historically STRONGLY gravitated towards Olympians, stick-and-ball athletes, and water sports people.

#4 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,007 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 08:59

A fitting inclusion. Any Le Mans winner is worthy of such an accolade, let alone one coming from behind as he and Rindt did.

#5 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,275 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 07:17

Originally posted by theunions

The HSHOF's Selection Committee (mostly individuals from local sports media backgrounds) then votes on each nomination. They have historically STRONGLY gravitated towards Olympians, stick-and-ball athletes, and water sports people.

A belated :up: to Joe, and to Masten as well. I'm always pleased to see anyone from motorsports inducted into local sports halls of fame since most gravitate heavily to Olympians and the stick & ball sports.

And Earl, I know I've mentioned this before, but it's worth mentioning again, thanks for your efforts in getting Danny Ongais into the HSHOF :up:

Bakersfield, California's Bob Elias Sports Hall of Fame has great motorsport representation: Rick and Roger Mears, George Snider, at least one air racer.

Fresno, California's Hall of Fame includes the Vukovich family, Ray Elder, Johnny Boyd, local short track legend Al Pombo.

But, many are still woefully lacking...

The San Diego Hall of Champions still has only one motorsports member (Hydroplane legend Bill Muncey), despite the great motorcycle racers from the area.

The Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame (San Francisco)...well, from living in the area, I wonder if one could find a group of individuals in charge more biased against motorsports. I don't even know if Jimmy Murphy could make it.

I urge all of us as racing fans and historians to make more concerted efforts to get motorsports represented in local Sports Halls of Fame.

Thank you and drive safely :wave:

#6 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 15:13

Well done, Joe Fan!!

.......and of course, Masten!

May his spirit soar!!

#7 Joe Fan

Joe Fan

• 5,591 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 19:52

:wave: Thanks all. I am glad this goal of mine has finally been achieved and that Masten will not be forgotten. And special thanks to anybody who took time to write a letter on Masten's behalf.

#8 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 20:53

This is the set up in Georgia. Am sure the different States have different requirements.

http://www.garhofa.com/halloffame/

Good job "Joe". It takes a lot of hard work to make these things happen.

Henry

#9 Buford

Buford

• 11,174 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 21:01

Good deal!!!