Photo

Whatever happened to Ron Harris ?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 21:28

famous for running the semi-'official' works F2 Lotus team. What happened to him? He seems to have faded from view in about 1970?? Anyone know ?

Advertisement

#2 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 706 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 10:02

By coincidence I have just read a profile on Ron by Mike Kettlwell in Autosport Feb 64, he rode in the TT pre war , so it is very possible that he just retired as costs rose

#3 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,214 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 15:13

Can I bring this thread back?

He's another of my WATN mysteries - I cannot believe that someone so influential in the sport for many years is somewhat almost unknown and information is very difficult to find for him.

Some information seems to suggest he was a rider, agent & from Maidenhead, Berkshire. Hence, if this was 1931, he must have been dead a while back???

Edited by Richard Jenkins, 11 November 2020 - 22:30.

#4 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 15:42

While we do have another Ron Harris thread , it was only on 4 posts and only 2 were serious. I hope we can get a bit more serious this time. Having been a bit around for 3 years , never found anything on Ron Harris except from the little MAP book Motor racing team colours and markings by John Baxter from 1967 :

Ron Harris Racing Division & Ron Harris Team Lotus , Glenbuck House ,Surbiton ,Surrey
F2 team Clark & Arundell , F3 team Revson and Cardwell
Cars Lotus 44 F2 and Lotus 41 F3.
Allthough a succesfull racing motor cyclist since the early 1930s,Ron Harris came to 4 wheel sport only in 1961 , when he took delivery of 2 Lotus 30 FJunior for John Gee-Turner and Mike Ledbrook to drive. In 1962
John Fenning joined the team instead of Ledbrook . In the middle of the season Harris was approached by Broadley to do the Lola F2 team and John Hine joined Fenning. So the Ron Harris Racing Division was born.
It was back to Lotus in 1963 when Harris was asked to run the Lotus F2 , then known as Ron Harris Team Lotus , with Arundell , Spence and Fenning as drivers. At this time team colours were changed from red to Lotus green . Since 64 Ron Harris has run the Lotus F2 team.
In a Lotus book , dont remember which , a picture should show the Ron Harris F2 team trucks (I have yet to see !).

#5 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 15:50

Ron Harris was certainly in the film distribution business, but I thought he died some years ago...mid to late '80s perhaps???? I'm sure I recall an obit for him in our once favourite weekly...

DCN

#6 Peter Darley

Peter Darley

• 286 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 16:39

Originally posted by Bjørn Kjer In a Lotus book , dont remember which , a picture should show the Ron Harris F2 team trucks (I have yet to see !). [/B]

Have a look at P 236 for picture of the transporters at Snetterton, also Crystal Palace and Oulton Park sections for photos of Ron Harris and drivers.

Peter Darley
Jim Clark - Life at Team Lotus

#7 Tweddell

Tweddell

• 114 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 17:10

after his unsuccessfull year in 1967, running the two costin protos plywood f2 with brian hart, kurt ahrens , eric offenstedt, pedro rodriguez and vic elford, he changed to tecno formula 2 cars. in 1968 he had two tecnos in a f2 race in argentinia, when after the race his spare fva cosworth engines were stolen. very dissapointed by that and having lost lots of money in the season 1967 and 1968, he finished his involvment in racing completly, dying by broken heart short after this .

#8 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,214 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 17:19

Thanks so far for the replies. If anyone could find that Autosport obituary that would be fantastic - it would almost certainly solve the whole conundrum, because the basic info would lead to the FRC & certificates.

This thread might be the first of many (Apologies in advance :lol: ) because I cannot believe some of the names I am researching throw up so little results on Google.

There are 86 Ronald Harris' who died between 1984-1990 , for example, probably many more from 1970-1983 onwards (although not all of them would be a credible fit) so
it might just need a smidgeon of info & then we are there! (It might also give other information after racing of what he did..)

#9 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 19:08

Ron 'Chopper' Harris comes from 'Ackney, or thereabouts, and was a hard, uncompromising full back for Chelsea in the 1960s.

The nickname had nothing to do with trees, but was indicative of the way this gentleman tackled opponents.

Just thought I'd put the record straight.

#10 Tweddell

Tweddell

• 114 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:42

may be this helps.
from magazine "motor", "costin´s wooden wonder", issue 14. jan 1984:

"......two seasons of heavy expenditure had left Ron exhausting his own finances, and this unhappy Argentine tour (Temporada) culminated in an accident amongst hostile crowds while the Tecnos were being loaded for shipmant back to the UK, and Ron fell into the River Plate, injured and semiconscious. he refused to be hospitalised in Argentina.....
three gearboxes and two FVA engines vanished while the shipment of team equipment had been in customs at Buenos Aires and Ron Harris emerged dishartened.
he shucked-off all involvments with motor racing, including the Protos chassis.
.....he died on September 18, 1975, aged 69, leaving Francoise and their young daughter."

#11 hipperson

hipperson

• 623 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:59

Mallory Park Whit Sunday 1964 Pete Arundell in the Lotus F2 Type 35 beautifully captured on film by Nick Loudon

Posted Image

#12 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 13:13

Great picture , and thanks all.

#13 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 14:10

Off Topic Where is Nick Loudon?Used to use his mothers 1100 to visit races.Lived off Old Bromton Rd.

#14 hipperson

hipperson

• 623 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 14:49

Finchley................he is having a mare at the moment anti motorsport people......all because a new book out has used 13 of his photographs and the author did not have the courtesy to ask permission despite knowing he had taken them.
He has had a payment now which he has donated to charity but the for now the damage has been done.

Very sad and very avoidable.

#15 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 16:34

Taken by my pal Steve Bradley. Snetterton April 1965, F2 meeting.
Jack Sears ( left) chats with Mike Spence, Jimmy in the background looking at the back end of his Ron Harris Lotus 35. Any ideas who the chap is between Jack & Jimmy?
Posted Image

#16 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 16:43

Nick has worked for a long time as a lion keeper at a zoological park - and last year he proudly presented me with a lovely pic of his favourite one... Amongst 1960s photographers his prints were ALWAYS absolutely The Best.

DCN

#17 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 16:44

Great bloke is Nick, pity he's been stitched up. Fantastic photographer, not only works with lions, he has a pet Lion!
He must persevere and find a publisher for some of his wonderful shots, absolutely fantastic.

#18 Peter Darley

Peter Darley

• 286 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 19:58

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
Taken by my pal Steve Bradley. Snetterton April 1965, F2 meeting.
Jack Sears ( left) chats with Mike Spence, Jimmy in the background looking at the back end of his Ron Harris Lotus 35. Any ideas who the chap is between Jack & Jimmy?
Posted Image

My guess would be Brian Hart

Peter Darley

Jim Clark - Life at Team Lotus

#19 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 20:02

Nick was always embarrassed with Mike Kettlewells and my escapades especially in the old beer tent at the end of Silverstone paddock.Bing drinking is not a new thing.The 63/68 period was pretty bad but a superb time.

Advertisement

#20 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,214 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:13

Originally posted by Tweddell
may be this helps.
from magazine "motor", "costin´s wooden wonder", issue 14. jan 1984:

"......two seasons of heavy expenditure had left Ron exhausting his own finances, and this unhappy Argentine tour (Temporada) culminated in an accident amongst hostile crowds while the Tecnos were being loaded for shipmant back to the UK, and Ron fell into the River Plate, injured and semiconscious. he refused to be hospitalised in Argentina.....
three gearboxes and two FVA engines vanished while the shipment of team equipment had been in customs at Buenos Aires and Ron Harris emerged dishartened.
he shucked-off all involvments with motor racing, including the Protos chassis.
.....he died on September 18, 1975, aged 69, leaving Francoise and their young daughter."

Perfect - helps loads! :clap: :clap: :up:

When I get 5 minutes to sit down & sort this all out, I'll try & fill in some more blanks.

Brilliant - and thanks Hipperson for the photo - a great one!

#21 hipperson

hipperson

• 623 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:02

Do motorsport photographs come better than this ? Nick Loudon of course.

Clark Ron Harris entered Type 35 F2 Crystal Palace 1965

Posted Image

Just look at the perfectly clear facial expression !

#22 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:39

Posted on behalf of Peter Darley;

Posted Image

#23 hipperson

hipperson

• 623 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 13:58

Not a bad photo Peter !

#24 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 22:41

Here are 2 pictures of Pedro & Ron Harris. The first one taken at Buenos Aires airport, prior to the Argentinian "Temporada" in 1968 where Pedro drove his Tecno F2 and the second picture shows Pedro in the Lotus 44 at the Nürburgring 1966 German GP :

Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 22:47

Ron "Chopper " Harris has been mentioned earlier but not Ron Harris, Ford engine builder (Pintos and some Xflows), Brighton Speed Trials competitor and (very) "Essex Man".

#26 MCS

MCS

• 4,697 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 21:12

Originally posted by john ruston
Nick was always embarrassed with Mike Kettlewells and my escapades especially in the old beer tent at the end of Silverstone paddock.Bing drinking is not a new thing.The 63/68 period was pretty bad but a superb time.

Some absolutely lovely photographs and reminiscences here, so please forgive my question.

Where is Mike Kettlewell? Last I heard he was in Blackpool. Is he contactable?

Once again, sorry for the intrusion.

#27 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:19

Mike was in Leicester after Blackpool

#28 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,658 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:47

Originally posted by MCS

Some absolutely lovely photographs and reminiscences here, so please forgive my question.

Where is Mike Kettlewell? Last I heard he was in Blackpool. Is he contactable?

Once again, sorry for the intrusion.

I realise that Mike's company Millhouse Books, run latterly by his daughter, ceased trading in 2007 but perhaps ex-MB employee Elizabeth Hunter might be able to help. I believe she is contactable at www.millhousebooksexhibits.com.

#29 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:38

Try www.millhousebooksexhibits.com (without the dot)

#30 MCS

MCS

• 4,697 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:33

Thank you all.

Mark

#31 hipperson

hipperson

• 623 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:49

Lunching today with Nick Loudon and Cedric Selzer.
Will ask about Mike Kettlewell.

#32 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,535 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:13

Another of Nick's amazing pictures, posted here with his permission. Jack Sears at Silverstone in '65 in the Lotus 30, the most difficult car he ever drove.
Posted Image

Nick was telling me the park has a 9-month old cub which really is a bit lively and wild. ..and we thought racing was dangerous! He really is delighted we have remembered him and his work here. There must be a publisher somewhere willing to take on a project showing his images, surely?

#33 hipperson

hipperson

• 623 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:34

Yep..Nick is a one-off and totally mad .

When I get back I am going to post something on here that I think you will all find interesting !

#34 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 14:53

Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
Nick was telling me the park has a 9-month old cub which really is a bit lively and wild. He said in his words "it takes chunks out of me every time I go in the cage"...and we thought racing was dangerous! He really is delighted we have remembered him and his work here. There must be a publisher somewhere willing to take on a project showing his images, surely?

... so long as anything's left of him! :eek::eek:

#35 hipperson

hipperson

• 623 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:25

Photographer extraordinaire Nick Loudon morphed as a MADMAN

Posted Image

This missive from Nick yesterday....to the moderators..yes there is motorsport content !

And apologies to Gary C for running off topic a bit

Posted Image

#36 A D River

A D River

• 23 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 20:11

Originally posted by Twin Window
Posted on behalf of Peter Darley;

Posted Image

Blimey, I have got one of those postcards,hopefully somewhere in the loft. also a few pictures of Ron and sundry cars, transporters and stuff. Bit busy for the next few days, will go on an expedition aloft asap.

Andy

NB see current post on photos of club racing thread.

#37 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 21:29

Last I heard of Mike Kettlewell, and I stress this is NOT confirmed, just a story told to me in passing at a race meeting back in the summer , was that he was sadly in poor health and had gone off to Mexico or somewhere in central America in search of 'holistic' treatment.

On the subject of Ron Harris, here's a curious photo of George Abecassis in his Alta chasing a motorcyclist, at ' Dunlop's delight' corner on Brooklands Campbell Circuit in 38-39 - the bike is apparently being ridden by Ron.
Anyone know more about the circumstances of this encounter?
Posted Image

#38 bonsaichris

bonsaichris

• 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 18:07

As a new member to the forum I thought I would add a little bit to the Ron Harris story. Rons office in about 1962/3 was indeed in Surbiton at the back of the station. His race team and cars were in Maidenhead - I assume this relates back to his motor cycle days. He used to run 4 cars for Lotus and had 4 mechanics, 1 for each car (happy days). he had 2 TK Bedford trucks for transporters. I at that time worked for Barry Wood at Surbiton Motors, amongst other things looking after the 2 Shapecraft Elans that Barry and Les Arnold drove. there was quite a concentration of drivers in that area and the local pub would have Bruce McClaren, Chris Amon, and others in , Ron was also there and he and Barry became quite good friends. Ron had me look after his E-type and we became friends. Only having the 4 mechanics led to emergencys that in turn led to me being on call as an emergency stand in race mechanic. I would get a call at about 10.30am to say could I be at his office at 12.15 to set off to where ever. Ron would take me in the E-type to Dover where we would meet up with his transporters and I would swap over to one of the Bedfords for the rest of the trip. As pictures show, Ron wore glasses with quite thick lenses, a trip with him to Dover from Surbiton was exciting to say the least. As soon as he got on a dual carriageway he was off at 150 mph, trouble was his eye sight couldnt keep up with that speed. I would be able to see 2 commercials ahead of us using both carriage ways, Ron was obviously oblivious. Slamming the brakes on at the last minute as he suddenly realised what was going on. We were met by his guys at Dover laughing all over their faces knowing what a frightening experiance it would have been. His chief mechanic was John Hogan at the time. Hope this adds a little bit to the history

#39 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 19:04

Very interesting , dont hold back , thanks.

Advertisement

#40 mikerobinson

mikerobinson

• 1 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 21:23

I remember Ron having a Motorcycle shop in Maidenhead,I remember the windows full of MV Agustas,not the fire breathing 4 cyl models but small off road 4 strokes,in the back of the double fronted shop would be the Lotus Cars.

#41 roseaimee

roseaimee

• 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 21:49

I am Ron Harris's daughter - I was only 4 years old when my father died so if you have any more information, please keep me posted...
I have some amazing photographs of my dad racing. Did anyone ever meet him?

#42 A D River

A D River

• 23 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 17:20

As a new member to the forum I thought I would add a little bit to the Ron Harris story. Rons office in about 1962/3 was indeed in Surbiton at the back of the station. His race team and cars were in Maidenhead - I assume this relates back to his motor cycle days. He used to run 4 cars for Lotus and had 4 mechanics, 1 for each car (happy days). he had 2 TK Bedford trucks for transporters. I at that time worked for Barry Wood at Surbiton Motors, amongst other things looking after the 2 Shapecraft Elans that Barry and Les Arnold drove. there was quite a concentration of drivers in that area and the local pub would have Bruce McClaren, Chris Amon, and others in , Ron was also there and he and Barry became quite good friends. Ron had me look after his E-type and we became friends. Only having the 4 mechanics led to emergencys that in turn led to me being on call as an emergency stand in race mechanic. I would get a call at about 10.30am to say could I be at his office at 12.15 to set off to where ever. Ron would take me in the E-type to Dover where we would meet up with his transporters and I would swap over to one of the Bedfords for the rest of the trip. As pictures show, Ron wore glasses with quite thick lenses, a trip with him to Dover from Surbiton was exciting to say the least. As soon as he got on a dual carriageway he was off at 150 mph, trouble was his eye sight couldnt keep up with that speed. I would be able to see 2 commercials ahead of us using both carriage ways, Ron was obviously oblivious. Slamming the brakes on at the last minute as he suddenly realised what was going on. We were met by his guys at Dover laughing all over their faces knowing what a frightening experiance it would have been. His chief mechanic was John Hogan at the time. Hope this adds a little bit to the history

bonsaichris when were you at Ron's, I was there late 66 through to the end, were you the irish guy, you had a mate who also helped out, Vic?? also had some tie up with Chris Craft as I recall.......... Others involved during my time were Malcolm Angood, Rex Bates and Kiwis Tony Rolley, Rob ?, and Arthur who looked after the shop.

#43 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 17:39

I am Ron Harris's daughter - I was only 4 years old when my father died so if you have any more information, please keep me posted...

Welcome to the Forum Roseaimee.

As you have probably gathered your father's activities in the motorsport arena are fondly remembered, and I am sure that if anyone on the forum did meet him or have any more information they will be posting in the near future.

Kind regards

Rob :wave:

#44 mikejaeger

mikejaeger

• 192 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 18:28

famous for running the semi-'official' works F2 Lotus team. What happened to him? He seems to have faded from view in about 1970?? Anyone know ?

He did the odd drawing or two (the Queen), occasionally hosts 'have i got news for you' :up:

#45 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 19:11

He did the odd drawing or two (the Queen), occasionally hosts 'have i got news for you' :up:

I think you'll find that's Rolf Harris, Mike.

Rob :wave:

#46 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 18:37

There was a useful profile article on him in Autosport in the mid/late 60s. I will try and find it. Please feel free to make your photos available. There are plenty here who will help you.
Roger Lund

#47 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 21:38

There was a useful profile article on him in Autosport in the mid/late 60s. Roger Lund

It is a 2 page article by Mike Kettlewell, Autosport 14 February 1964, pps 212/213. Happy to scan and forward for personal use and archives.
Roger Lund.

Edited by bradbury west, 11 June 2009 - 21:39.

#48 velocette

velocette

• 1 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:18

Hi my name is Barry Richardson my father was W.G.(Biff) Richardson who raced with and for your father in the mid 30s at Brooklands.He lived occassionaly at the shop in Maidenhead working on the motorcyles for racing.Apparently they had a garage at Brooklands,Freddie Dixon one side and Miss Shilling? the other.They also went to the Isle Of Man when your father raced there.My friend Cosmo has your fathers 1936 Manx Norton which he raced on the IOM with all the paperwork from the Norton factory when it was purchased.I have a book by A.C.Perryman that mentions your father racing at Brooklands.My family would love to see any photos just in case they might contain our dad.As far as i can remember my dad spoke of great friendship and admiration for your father.Hope this sheds a bit of light on one of the heroes of racing.Will try and get more details from my older brother.

#49 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:36

Hi my name is Barry Richardson my father was W.G.(Biff) Richardson who raced with and for your father in the mid 30s at Brooklands. He lived occasionally at the shop in Maidenhead working on the motorcyles for racing. Apparently they had a garage at Brooklands, Freddie Dixon one side and Miss Shilling? the other. They also went to the Isle Of Man when your father raced there. My friend Cosmo has your father's 1936 Manx Norton which he raced on the IOM with all the paperwork from the Norton factory when it was purchased. I have a book by A. C. Perryman that mentions your father racing at Brooklands. My family would love to see any photos just in case they might contain our dad. As far as I can remember my dad spoke of great friendship and admiration for your father. Hope this sheds a bit of light on one of the heroes of racing. Will try and get more details from my older brother.

Yes, Miss Beatrice 'Tilly' Shilling. In the April Motor Sport, WB included a half page feature remembering her She raced a Norton at Brooklands, lapping at over 100mph. During WW2 she developed a restrictor plate that eliminated a problem with the Merlin engine.

Roseaimee, welcome to the forum - you will find that many here have memories of your dad that they will share with you.

Edited by D-Type, 01 May 2010 - 09:42.

#50 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 18:56

I saw this some time ago via an Elva mk 6 link...........perhaps it will come out as a decent resolution.
Posted Image
Roger Lund