• 598 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 22:03

Augie Pabst's garage.

Advertisement

#102 Tom Thomas

Tom Thomas

• 43 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:06

Nothing real important here, but in 1961 a saw the Scarab driven by Chuck Daigh run the GP of the U.S. at Riverside. I remember it being a great looking car, but a back-marker at best. Don't know what engine it had.

#103 Tmeranda

Tmeranda

• 605 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 18:19

[

#104 Tmeranda

Tmeranda

• 605 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 18:25

Originally posted by WDH74
IIRC, there was a "fourth" Scarab built up from a few spare bits and a lot of stuff fabricated from the blueprints. Names and dates escape me at the moment, but the car was painted purple with Von Dutch style pinstriping and is used as a road car, with modern electronics for the engine. There's a sidebar about this car in Vintage Motorsport's book about road racing specials.

-William

I think the purple car you are refering to is the one raced by Nicky Chevrolet in 1959. It was in fact, #002 and was purchased from Lance. Nice picture on it in latest issue of Vintage Motorsport.

Right hand drive and no hood scoop.

#105 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:49

You should be aware that the Orosco Scarab pictured above is not a real one. The photo info says it was taken in 2003. But- Orosco did own the 001 car for many years but he sold it around 2000 to Rob Walton, who I believe retains it today. Orosco then had a replica built, and it is that car that he has run here and there for the past few years. A nice looking car indeed, but as I understand it, not a real Scarab.

For the record, 001 is owned by Rob Walton. 002 by Augie Pabst. 003 by the Collier Collection. The rear engine Mk IV sports racer is also owned by Pabst.

The purple Scarab was 002. It was owned by Nickey Chevrolet in 1959 and painted purple. It went briefly to Leader Card, then to Meister Brauser at the end of 1959. It stayed with them until the brewery went bust and Augie Pabst bought it.

The rear engine car, Mk. IV, was never a Meister Brauser car and never had Meister Brauser graphics. It went from RAI to Mecom to Pabst. That's it. Augie has it painted Meister Brauser blue, a different shade from Mecom blue, but does have Mecom graphics on it.

#106 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 12:14

:wave: With these latest info to a good thread ,I take the chance to ask for info about the Scarab F1 car transporter as well as the Sports car transporter in the US (Meister Brauser?).
Regards Bjørn

#107 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 13:56

Originally posted by Bjørn Kjer
:wave: With these latest info to a good thread ,I take the chance to ask for info about the Scarab F1 car transporter as well as the Sports car transporter in the US (Meister Brauser?).
Regards Bjørn

Hi Bjorn,

I never saw the RAI F-1 transporter except in photos. However, the Meister Brauser transporter was at very many US races in the early '60s. At this time the vast majority of race cars were towed to the track on open trailers behind a station wagon or pickup truck. Not fancy at all. Then Harry Heuer's Meister Brauser team came along with a big enclosed tractor trailer rig. It was painted the same shade of blue as the cars and had big lettering on the trailer, "Meister Brauser Racing Team" along with the usual other graphics, including their team cartoon mascot, "Harvey Funnock". The tractor was lettered, "Meister Brauser Diesel Duster". They carried a small four wheel tractor along with them that they used to pull the cars around the paddock and to the grid. No need to push the car as everyone else did! Among the support vehicles was a Volkswagen Microbus also painted up in Meister Brauser blue colors. Compared to what everyone else, save Cunningham, was doing, this screamed "first class" all the way and put the Meister Brauser Team psychologically one-up as soon as they pulled into the paddock.

#108 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 14:11

:clap: Hello RA Historian. I am nuts about transporters , but the US Pro (and CanAm) was a bit different to the European racing , and I have a small archive for these too. I was aware of "trailering on open ones" and have too seen and read about the few big ones , but your story too was very nice with the VW and tractor! Thanks a lot!
I also must say that so far I have only seen 1 picture of the F1 transporter and would very much like to know if it had any text? .I do know a bit about the Maserati RM126 Fiat.

#109 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 19:37

A company from the south of France called Jade Miniatures has already produced the Scarab F1 car in 1/43rd scale.

Yes, and I built one....

Posted Image

#110 TIPO61

TIPO61

• 598 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 21:03

Originally posted by RA Historian

The tractor was lettered, "Meister Brauser Diesel Duster". They carried a small four wheel tractor along with them that they used to pull the cars around the paddock and to the grid. No need to push the car as everyone else did!

The name on the lil tractors was plenty cool too...the lettering on them read, 'point five fast.' Or, half fast. Loved it.

#111 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 21:08

Originally posted by Barry Boor

Yes, and I built one....

Is that a built 1:43 kit, Barry, or a slot-racer?

#112 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 21:11

:wave: My guess : SLOT !

Are there anyone who would agree with me that the Scarab F1 transporter was painted in Barrys colour ?

#113 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 21:50

Originally posted by Barry Boor

Yes, and I built one....

Posted Image

BEAUTIFUL !! :up:

#114 watkins

watkins

• 145 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 06:31

Here's a couple of photos I took of a Scarab during the 1999 Historic race weekend at Watkins Glen.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by watkins, 26 December 2012 - 02:36.

#115 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 13:37

Good pictures. This is chassis 002, owned by Augie Pabst. That is Augie in the car in the lower photo. You can see Augie's Scarab Mk. IV to the right in the top photo. He still owns both cars.

#116 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 00:35

WDH74:

Your photo was taken at Road America 2-3 years ago. That is the of the old paddock where Augie and his son always park because he is on the board of directors for the track. This winter the grassy area in your photo was leveled to add more paved space for competitors. They did an excellent job by the way. That new area is where they set-up a special display of the 63 Can-Am cars that were at the Kohler Challenge presented by Brian Redman.

#117 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 17:54

Does any of you know if Scarab open 2-stage transporter for F1 in 1960 was a 2 axle or 3 axle car?????????????

#118 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:02

:wave: Can anyone show a picture of the "Meister Brauser" Transporter ?

In 1957 Lance came to Europe. Somewhere it is said he stayed for a season. Was that the rest of 1957 , or also 1958 ?

#119 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 13:28

:In 1957 Lance came to Europe. Somewhere it is said he stayed for a season. Was that the rest of 1957 , or also 1958 ?

While Lance did race a little bit in Europe in 56 or 57, I think that you are referring to the Scarab F-1 venture, which lasted the first half of 1960. Showed up at Monaco, DNQ. Was at Zandvoort, withdrew over starting money dispute. Ran both cars at Spa, both DNF. Blew all motors at Rheims, went home. That was the extent of the European foray in F-1. Scarab was back in 1961 with one car with a 3.0 Meyer-Drake engine for English events in the short-lived Intercontinental Formula and ran twice, maybe three times before wrecking the car at Silverstone in July, 1961.

Advertisement

#120 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 15:16

:wave: Nope RA , I am referring to 1957 , when he bought the Maserati Transporter wich was taken back to US and repainted blue and white in 58 ? So my Q remains a Q !

#121 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 15:45

He raced a Cooper in several British F2 races in 1957 and also a 200S Maserati

#122 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 17:36

Found him in 3 1957 F2 races(club) at Brands 9/6 : 6 , Crystal 10/6 : 6 and Brans 5/8 : 4. Small fields where he q. and finished near last each time. No top 3 records on his Maserati Sport.

But did he go back to US in 57 or stay over the winter till when in 58 ??ill whe

#123 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 00:21

:wave: Nope RA , I am referring to 1957 , when he bought the Maserati Transporter wich was taken back to US and repainted blue and white in 58 ? So my Q remains a Q !

Sorry, Bjorn, I misunderstood your question. :cry:

#124 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 05:46

Carroll Shelby, speaking at the Fabulous Fifties banquet in December, talks about the Scarab:

"...When you get to talking about mistakes that you've made in life, I've made a million of 'em. But one of the greatest ones that I ever made was when we went over and took over the Reventlow facility...there was a car available there as a sport car. And I thought about it a little while and suddenly, while I was trying to make my mind up, I think John Mecom bought it. And I wanted to go sport car racing so I bought a couple or three Coopers and we went racing for a little while. Phil (Remington) had a lot to do with that. But the greatest mistake was not taking that Scarab that Phil and Chuck and everybody built because it was probably the best sport car, better than the Lotus, better than the Coopers, and I just wish that...Augie has that car now, if anybody wants to buy it, he said he only wanted three and half million dollars for it..."

Vince H.

#125 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 05:56

RA Historian ,OK with me , sometimes small misunderstandings can lead to good things! :up:

#126 JB Miltonian

JB Miltonian

• 548 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:08

Bjorn, here is a picture of a Scarab transporter that I found in an old magazine.
Photo credit is to Les Nehamkin.
Posted Image

#127 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 18:15

A new shot from Monaco 1960, generously provided by the photographer now retired back in NZ. Link posted here as it may not be a natural thread for Scarab-istas to look at. Many thanks
http://forums.autosp...threadid=103488
Roger Lund
BTW I know tnfer Ted Walker at Feret Foto has some very good Scarab Monaco pit shots

#128 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 23:14

Posted Image
Lance Reventlow at Santa Barbara in 1962 driving the rear engined Scarab.
That is Don Wester in his Porsche and Joe Playan in his Porsche behind Lance and the new rear engined Scarab.

Vince:
Yes, the rear-engined Scarab sportsracer [and his Formula Libre car] remained in a corner of Reventlow's former premises after Shelby bought the place, but John Mecom did not buy the car until just before the October 1963 Times GP at Riverside. Apart from a quick makeover and repaint, the Mecom crew had virtually no time left to do anything to the car. They were forced to run the 4-liter Olds engine after almost a year of inactivity.

Shelby's first Monaco chassis came in by mid-summer, and the King Cobras had their first tests in September, with two complete cars ready for the September 1963 Northwest GP.

all research Willem Oosthoek
photo- Willem oosthoek collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 17 January 2010 - 16:59.

#129 hatrat

hatrat

• 339 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:53

A Brad Ward photo taken at Zandvoort signed by Gerard Nol (who I believe was a Dutch mechanic)

[IMG]http://img114.images...bwscarabff8.jpg[/IMG]

#130 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 13:41

Any news on the price achieved here, last car , bottom of the page.? Lot 75, page 9. I have registered, but cannot find results.
http://www.wwgauctio...m...0&pagend=10
Roger Lund

#131 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 14:51

Any news on the price achieved here, last car , bottom of the page.? Lot 75, page 9. I have registered, but cannot find results.
http://www.wwgauctio...m...0&pagend=10
Roger Lund

plus who is the new owner, if it sold.
Tom

#132 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 20:42

Here is a great site with lots of Scarab photos from the Day. Also a bunch of other 50-70s racers on the index page
http://www.prairiestreetart.com/page1/page1.html

That's Ron Nelson's site. He shot a great amount of races "back in the day" and is a new member on TNF. He has posted on the Wilmot Hills thread.

Tom

#133 Nightwing

Nightwing

• 1 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:00

Hi Bjorn,

I never saw the RAI F-1 transporter except in photos. However, the Meister Brauser transporter was at very many US races in the early '60s. At this time the vast majority of race cars were towed to the track on open trailers behind a station wagon or pickup truck. Not fancy at all. Then Harry Heuer's Meister Brauser team came along with a big enclosed tractor trailer rig. It was painted the same shade of blue as the cars and had big lettering on the trailer, "Meister Brauser Racing Team" along with the usual other graphics, including their team cartoon mascot, "Harvey Funnock". The tractor was lettered, "Meister Brauser Diesel Duster". They carried a small four wheel tractor along with them that they used to pull the cars around the paddock and to the grid. No need to push the car as everyone else did! Among the support vehicles was a Volkswagen Microbus also painted up in Meister Brauser blue colors. Compared to what everyone else, save Cunningham, was doing, this screamed "first class" all the way and put the Meister Brauser Team psychologically one-up as soon as they pulled into the paddock.

Thank you for your kind words about our rig. It has been on the banks at Daytona & Meadowdale. I was once clocked on early radar at 105 MPH after seeing the AZ trooper and was on the brakes. Our mascots correct name is "John F U N--ock". At least that how we pronunced it to any one who asked. Best to all, Harry Heuer

#134 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 522 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 15:58

I have had the good fortune to see that "Diesel Duster" many times back in the day. I surely didn't think it was capable of over a hundred........ On the other hand if Harry said so it MUST be true.

ZOOOM

#135 roamic

roamic

• 26 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 14:43

< However, the Meister Brauser transporter was at very many US races in the early '60s. At this time the vast majority of race cars were towed to the track on open trailers behind a station wagon or pickup truck. Not fancy at all. Then Harry Heuer's Meister Brauser team came along with a big enclosed tractor trailer rig.

I have a memory of Augie Pabst sitting in a lawn chair, atop some big transporter, at Pomona in the early 60s.

I don't remember ever seeing a Scarab race when they were knew.

Anybody know what he would have been racing in those post-Scarab days?

#136 roamic

roamic

• 26 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 14:53

<001 (Reventlow's car) is with Rob Walton
002 (Daigh's car) is with Augie Pabst
003 (Kessler's car) is in the Collier Museum

The Mid-Engined car is with Augie Pabst

Formula cars:

(001) is with Don Orosco with an Offenhauser engine
(002) was destroyed by Daigh at Silverstone and scrapped. A car supposedly built from some of the parts was owned by the late Ali Lugo; it was sold after his death, but I'm not sure where it went.
(003) which was not originally fitted with an engine is now in the Donington Museum.

Bill Mitchell, the GM stylist, had a F1 car, with Chevy engine, converted to street use. He restyled it, and IMHO, it was hideous.

Is that car one of those 3?

#137 RWB

RWB

• 116 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 15:36

Don Orosco had two single-seaters at the Goodwood Revival 2009. One has a Scarab badge and bonnet (hood) blister while the other has no badge and an air scoop on the bonnet. Which is the original car?

#138 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 17:48

The Scarab list by Roamic is essentially correct. The three sports racers are as stated, although identifying the third car as the Kessler car is a bit of a stretch in that Kessler drove a Scarab in competition only once, IIRC. That was Santa Barbara in 1958 when it had a Meyer-Drake four installed. Scarab #3 was far more famous as a Meister Brauser car, usually driven by Pabst. The only other time this chassis was run by RAI was in the 1958 Riverside Times GP when Lance Reventlow drove it in the race after damaging his own car in practice. Under RAI Lance usually drove 001 and Daigh 002.

The Scarab F-1 that was the subject of the Bill Mitchell conversion was the first chassis. Later it was rebodied back to F-1 trim and was in the Cunningham Museum until purchased by Don Orosco, who I believe still owns it. Orosco has built a replica of this car. He also has built a replica of the front engine sports racer and I have been told that the Scarab transporter which he owns is also a replica. As far as I know the only real Scarab he owns is the F-1 car chassis 001.

F-1 chassis 002 was scrapped after Daigh's crash at Silverstone in 1961. Ali Lugo had what was left of the car and had a new chassis etc built around the gear shift knob, if you follow me. That car was sold in early 2008, IIRC, and was at the Scarab reunion at Road America that July. The following is unverified: I read somewhere that the two fellows who bought it from the Lugo Estate have had it repossessed by the individual/company from which they borrowed the funds to buy it. Where it is now I do not know.

F-1 chassis 003, the unraced spare, was in the Donington Musuem until very recently. I saw ads in Motor Sport listing the car for sale at auction.

The rear engine sports racer, the Mk IV, is still owned by Augie Pabst, who bought it in 1965 from Mecom.

Tom

Edited by RA Historian, 17 January 2010 - 17:52.

#139 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 522 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:01

Don't forget the "ugly duckling" Scarab.
It IS a Scarab....

Posted Image

ZOOOM

Advertisement

#140 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 15:28

GP 03 is for sale with Hall and Hall, UK as a rolling chassis.
GP 02 was for sale last year via World Wide Group's auction in Houston -see my posts from May '09. No results were available when I checked later, but the car's restoration/rebuild was clearly described in the narrative. Just as well I printed it off.
Roger Lund

#141 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 15:43

Don't forget the "ugly duckling" Scarab.
It IS a Scarab....

Absolutely right, Walt. Last I heard it was still owned by a Mr. Cotter somewhere in the Pacific Northwest.
Tom

#142 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 15:47

GP 02 was for sale last year via World Wide Group's auction in Houston -see my posts from May '09. No results were available when I checked later,

That ties in with what I heard this past year. I say this with the caveat that this is unverified. The parties who bought GP 02 from the Lugo Estate tried to sell it at auction, needing to sell the car to pay a debt that was due for the funds to initially buy the car. When the car did not sell at this auction, it was taken by the lending party in settlement of the debt. Again, this is somewhat hearsay, and I cannot vouch for its authenticity.
Tom

#143 roamic

roamic

• 26 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 22:57

<Don't forget the "ugly duckling" Scarab.
It IS a Scarab....

I thought that chassis was widened and became the mid-engined Scarab sports car which debuted at Santa Barbara in 62.

Look at the wheels on both.

#144 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 00:52

I thought that chassis was widened and became the mid-engined Scarab sports car which debuted at Santa Barbara in 62.

Nope, two separate cars. Always have been. Both were at the Scarab reunion at Road America in July, 2008.
Tom

#145 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 522 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 13:23

Here's the rear engined Scarab pictured on the same day as the "Ugly Duckling":
Posted Image

ZOOOM

#146 carrozzeria

carrozzeria

• 15 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:13

Old Scarab thread (merged) -- so I'll ask here instead of creating a new thread. Just looking to learn more after reading this on a non-racing forum:

"Here is 6-minute drive-along of a Scarab tearing up the Continental Divide Raceway sometime in the late 1950′s. It appears this clip was part of a larger production of some type, but I have no way to be sure or anyway even to know who is driving what car. All I can do is show you the clip and hope it tingles your spine as much as it did mine."

#147 Cris

Cris

• 164 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:27

I posted this in response to the video being posted on a different forum a few days ago:

"This footage is from a five-lap match race held over Labor Day at CDR in 1960. Harry Heuer is driving the Meister Bräuser (formerly Scarab 002) against Bob Carnes in the Bocar XP-6 (the Chevy engine has a blower on it, hence the red car getting the hole shot over the normally aspirated Scarab/Meister Bräuser.)"

Best,

Cris

Old Scarab thread (merged) -- so I'll ask here instead of creating a new thread. Just looking to learn more after reading this on a non-racing forum:

"Here is 6-minute drive-along of a Scarab tearing up the Continental Divide Raceway sometime in the late 1950′s. It appears this clip was part of a larger production of some type, but I have no way to be sure or anyway even to know who is driving what car. All I can do is show you the clip and hope it tingles your spine as much as it did mine."

#148 Hse289

Hse289

• 665 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:53

That was great to watch, thanks for posting. Coincidentally i have just finished reading the Scarab book by Preston Lerner. Thoroughly recommended.
Paul

#149 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 15:11

"This footage is from a five-lap match race held over Labor Day at CDR in 1960. Harry Heuer is driving the Meister Bräuser (formerly Scarab 002) against Bob Carnes in the Bocar XP-6 (the Chevy engine has a blower on it, hence the red car getting the hole shot over the normally aspirated Scarab/Meister Bräuser.)"

Quite right. The event was Labor Day, 1960, and was an SCCA Regional. The only reason the two Meister Brauser Scarabs trucked 1000 miles to this non-points race was to settle a grudge. Bob Carnes, who built the Bocars, had made the statement that his car could beat the Scarabs. Harry Heuer, owner of the Meister Brauser Team, called him on it. They ran this match race, just the two of them, and Heuer won. Later, Pabst and Heuer ran one-two in the feature race.

The footage is from a much longer promotional film by the Peter Hand Brewing Co spotlighting their Meister Brauser Team.

Tom

#150 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 522 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 15:17

Beat me to it Tom...
The whole promotional film, now on DVD can be found at the Meadowdale website:
www.drivabledreams.net
The film has great cockpit views of races at Meadowdale in the Scarab...

zooom

Edited by ZOOOM, 24 December 2012 - 15:19.