Scarab cars

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

#51 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,697 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 03:16

Welcome to TNF Burt...

Burt, the search feature is located in the upper right-hand side of the web page, but I didn't see any referrence to its finishing position, though I concede I might have missed it.

This the car, yes? And as you state, it did have a Buick engine for its sole appearance in Australia.

Posted Image

The Thread

Indications from a reputable source state that it might have had a Chevy installed initially but later accounts agree with your ascertations...

From 8W :

"...RAI designed a rear-engined car with an alloy Chevrolet engine for this formula, but the class never got off the ground and the car's sole appearance was in a race in Australia in 1962..."

From our own Don Capps, Rear View Mirror article:

"...However, the Scarab did run a race in 1962. For reasons not really clear - it was possibly accurately described as a "lark," Lance Reventlow and his entourage showed up in Melbourne, Australia to run a Formula Libre race at the local race circuit, Sandown Park. Chuck Daigh was the driver and head wrench Warren Olson was there to prepare the car for the race. Most of the attention was on Reventlow - son of Woolworth heiress Barbara Hutton and Danish Count Kurt von Haugwitz-Reventlow - and his current wife, Jill St. John, not the car.

The Scarab was still using gasoline to fuel its Buick engine whereas it opponents were in cars using alcohol to power the Coventry Climax FPF engines in the various Lotus and Cooper cars on the grid. Daigh qualified sixth and managed a fourth in a preliminary heat. In the final, Daigh had a spirited battle the entire race with Stirling Moss, nipping across the line ahead of Moss and capturing fourth in the results. And it was then returned to the shop in Venice..."

Advertisement

#52 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 03:54

Burt,

I has always been a tad of a mystery to me as to why the Scarab ICF car was never campaigned during the 1962 USAC Road Racing Championship at least once. I realize that the rear-engined sports car was being built and the effort seemed focused on it, but still..... When the sports car finally emerged it was not as competitive as as hoped and ended up with Mecom the next season.

Back to the ICF car, it really didn't do all that badly considering the circumstances, but at the time I was befuddled and bewildered why it abruptly appeared and then just as abruptly disappeared. I now have a better idea of the workings of RAI at the time and find it sad that they threw in the towel -- much as Briggs Cunningham did many are quick to point out -- at the wrong time, but "other" factors were at work....

#53 Hse289

Hse289

• 593 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 20:17

I,ve an old copy of Road and Track november 1963, and there is an article on the Scarab Sportscar. It mentions Ken Miles had a hand in designing the layout of the car. I asked Chuck Daigh at Goodwood Festival of Speed a couple of years ago about this and he replied that it was a fallacy. I think he had his mind on other matters and i did,nt want to bother him, i wish i had asked him for his autograph because i know more about him now and i,ve seen him race in old racing videos. Maybe it was the Troutman & Barnes Special KM worked on, can anyone shed any light on this matter?

#54 Milan Fistonic

Milan Fistonic

• 1,762 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 20:43

This is the caption to a photo of Miles with Reventlow in the pits at Pomona which appears in the Lerner Scarab book.

Reventlow hobnobs in the pits at Pomona with the hawk-like Ken Miles, who drew the original chassis plans for the Scarab sports car. Exactly how much he contributed to the final design remains a source of contention, but there's no question that Miles was capable of creating a world-beating special. In fact his MG-based R-1 and Flying Shingle were two of the West Coast's most successful home-built racers. Miles was also an excellent driver, starring in Porsches, Cobras and the Ford prototypes before being killed while testing the experimental Ford J-Car at Riverside in 1966.

#55 Hse289

Hse289

• 593 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 20:59

Thanks for replying, he was indeed a talented man, i wish i,d seen him race. I believe there is a book being written about him by Art Evans.

#56 antonvrs

antonvrs

• 492 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 04:45

Ken Miles.
When I was a Tech Inspector(scrutineer to some of you) for the California Sports Car Club region of the Sports Car Club of America i.e Cal Club in the '60s I had the opportunity to watch Miles give driving lessons to Bob Bondurant during practice at Riverside Raceway.
This was 1963 or so and they were both driving works Cobras. They sat on the pit wall and talked for a while before putting their crash hats and going out.
After warming things up, they started going a little faster, and then faster, nose to tail. Then Miles began to pull away by about 2 car lengths a lap.
After about 5 laps of that, they pulled in, took off the helmets and sat on the pit wall and talked for a little while. Then they went out and did the same thing all over again.
After the third time the discussion became a little heated. Helmets back on, Bondurant got in Miles' car and they went out with Miles following Bondurant, nose to tail. After a few laps like this, Miles went around Bondurant(I couldn't see where, from the pits) and came by the pits leading and proceeded to pull away by about 2 car lengths a lap for another few laps. When it was totally clear that nothing was going to change somebody held out the "in" sign and they stopped on the next time around.
Bondurant got out of the car, pulled his helmet off and threw it on the ground so hard it bounced about 15 feet in the air and stalked off.
End of lesson

#57 Hse289

Hse289

• 593 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 12:11

Wow what a great story and wonderful memories you have, do you have any pictures of the cobras to post?

#58 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 16:25

I think Miles is one of the most underated sports car drivers of all time, and the Flying Shingle is my favorite American Special (even though it's not Italian car based)

#59 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,002 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 16:58

"American Road Race Specials" by Allan Girdler, Motor Books Intern'l, 1990, is a great source of info on Ken Miles cars and also twice mentions him in connection with Reventlow Automobiles Inc. (Scarab)

Advertisement

#60 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,002 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 17:18

Re: Bondurant/Miles. When the Portland Historic Races first started in the late seventies, Steve Earle would have Bob Bondurant and one of his instructors come up to teach new guys how to do it. He left booking a rental car too late one year and turned up at the track with a Limousine as the instructor car! He then proceeded to lap so fast in the Limo that the new guys - in racing cars! - had to ask him to slow down....

#61 antonvrs

antonvrs

• 492 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 17:49

More Bondurant:
The first time I drove at Laguna Seca Steve Earle had laid on driver's school for newbies like me and part of it was a few laps in a large Ford window van with Bondurant at the wheel. That was an interesting ride.
I heard a story later that one of the gold chain crowd wanted to take his girlfriend along in the van which was supposed to be drivers only. He made enough of a stink that she was allowed to ride along. After a couple of laps she was enjoying the hell out of it but the but the boyfriend with the gold chains was so uncomfortable that he gave the driver(I don't know who it was this time) a $100 bill to stop and let him out.
He got out, puked on his shoes, the door slammed behind him and his girlfriend went off for a few more laps with the rest of the guys.
I also got the low bucks version of this one time at a VARA event. This was in a Dodge Tradesman van- the one with the extended tail- no seats, just some empty beer cans rolling around on the floor and 5 or 6 guys standing hunched over in the back while John Morton hustled the thing around at indecent speed. That was a ride!!
Anton

#62 Hse289

Hse289

• 593 posts

Posted 02 June 2003 - 18:42

David, the Allen Girdler book is excellent i bought it quite cheap at Beaulieu Auto jumble over here (U.K.) one year. The ultimate books with KM in though are the Dave Freidman Cobra and GT40 books. Also the Cobra Ferrari Wars by Mike Shoen.

#63 ScarabAuto

ScarabAuto

• 4 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 01:32

Hey All. I am new here. Mattijs @ 8W suggested I post a note, so here goes:

You may be interested to know that we have acquired the rights to the name Scarab and plan on bringing the marque back with a 50th Anniversary Scarab II . Since we are very early in the process, were trying to keep this a secret, but AutoWeek just gave a mention and the cat's out of the bag.

We plan on being faithful, in spirit, to the original. The design philosophy for the new, limited edition Scarab II is fairly simple: the latest technologies will be there, but they'll be in the background. The outside will have the look, sound and fury reminiscent of the original Scarab Mk II. This aluminum bodied, front engine roadster will be simple, light, fast and easy to drive. Power will be a modern, 50-state emission legal Chevrolet V8 -- probably the LS6 Corvette unit as a base. The car will have a targeted 0-60 MPH time of less than 4 seconds. There are exciting possibilities with the transmission / transaxle too, but we cannot disclose this -- yet. When we're done, you can have a high-performance open sports car that you can drive on the street or the track (with the proper FIA-approved equipment of course). More importantly, it'll break through the clutter with a look that reminds us of that golden, romantic racing era of the '50s and early '60s.

Of course, the Scarab's progenitor, Lance Reventlow is long gone. But in the mix is Mike Mullin, whose father, an attorney, handled all of Lance Reventlow's Scarab-related business; Chuck Pelly, the man who designed the original Scarab Mk II; and even Richard Reventlow -- Lance's younger brother. Other interesting names are coming too.

In the weeks ahead we plan on offering some cool old racing photos, paintings, scale cars and clothing to help offset some of our development costs.

Almost forgot -- our rather modest website is www.ScarabAuto.com.

This could be fun. Please stay tuned.

#64 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,002 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 04:27

:clap:
Sounds wonderful, ambitious, but wonderful!

Have you heard of the movie "The Sound of Speed" (The loud scrambling noise is other TNFers leaving I have talked abut this movie many times recently trying to track it down)

If not, check it out!

It features Reventlow and Daigh driving the car at Riverside fitted with the Chevy V8-the movies is fabulous and was mentioned for an academy award.
The problem is: the movie has been out of circulation for many years and was lost until a friend of a friend found an original print in a movie warehouse during a cleanup. I have talked with Don Orosco, whom you must surely know, and he doesn't know who owns the copyright anymore. However, John Streets of Merlin Engineering, Redwood City, California knows where the original print is; it would make a wonderful promo movie for you...
(Did I word that right guys?)
Regards, David B

#65 dbw

dbw

• 993 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 06:27

John Streets can be reached at ; Merlin Engineering Works... 650 856 0961
1890 Embarcadero Rd Palo Alto,Ca.....

john's a great fellow ,easily approachable,and when visiting his works one can often see the most wonderful of things....

#66 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,697 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 07:35

Best of luck with your new venture... You're in the neighborhood I see. Your Ultima Project has been well received and I've seen editions of that car, so I know the team is quite capable.

#67 Buford

Buford

• 11,173 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 10:07

Sounds very cool. Go for it!

#68 ScarabAuto

ScarabAuto

• 4 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 16:49

Hey all. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Ambitious? Sure, but a job worth doing, is worth doing right ... right? This project is not comparable to say, the virtually unobtainable $1MM Bugatti. We're talking about a refreshingly simple all-American roadster here with a realistic price-point. We don't want to compete with the rarefied atmosphere of the latest and greatest super cars. Let them fight over the scraps. Been there, done that. We want to celebrate the lines of an earlier time -- you know -- "when the tires were skinny and the drivers were fat."

Don't worry though. This car will have all the right go-fast goodies. It's just that they will be in the background. With Chuck Pelly's design expertise in the mix (just sold his design company to BMW), rest assured this will not be an amateur operation.

I run a consulting business (autoworldmarketing.com) -- putting on my marketing hat here for a second, the real challenge with Scarab is correctly identifying the value proposition and successfully meeting the consumer's general set of expectations.

By the way, initial plans were for 500 units, max. Volume depends on how we approach the specialty vehicle laws (recently changed). Our experience a few years ago with Ultima was an example. We were the ones who got the car California legal and approved by CARB. Now the laws have changed on that, making it easier, but we are still committed to making the Scarab run with the most recent emissions laws in-check. We have yet to decide if we want to sell completed "rollers" with the drive train separately on a pallet, or complete turnkey vehicles. We're still in the design stages.

If the roadster goes well, we will be thinking about a mid-engined Scarab as well.

And yes, Chuck Daigh knows about this project. Thanks again for the support.

#69 Bob Brzezinski

Bob Brzezinski

• 245 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 17:00

Bob,

I wish your company all the luck. IMHO the Scarab is the most beautiful front-engined sports-racer ever, and with people like Chuck Pelly involved I'm sure yours will do it homage.

I don't know if you've been in touch with another very involved player, Phil Remington, but he is a friend of mine and I'd be happy to assist in that regard if you like. Phil is still active in the world of fabrication, has a memory like the proverbial steel trap, and would probably be happy to advise you on the details of the original Scarabs if need be. Please e-mail me at brzez@lyonsandrhodes.com if you need help getting in touch with him.

Best,
Bob

#70 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,002 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 20:23

There is obviously a market for cars of this type; if priced properly. The "Factory Five" Cobra replicas come to mind. Good quality, well made chassis and easily available mechanical components. That they can sell the Daytona Coupe replica at the price they do is remarkable.

Racers Edge mentions a racing series in Yurrup that will use replica front engined cars. Sounds a little elitist though with only 2 entries per country. Perhaps the Scarab II could do the same thing "Over here" only with the likes of yr fthfl svnt driving the Canadian demo car?
Regards, David B

#71 ScarabAuto

ScarabAuto

• 4 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 01:44

Canadian eh? I was born in Toronto on a brief stop over. Dad was in the RAF -- said it was "too bloody cold," so we moved back to the UK. Later we moved permanently to the US of A.

Yes, the Scarab would be a good entry in such an event, when the time is right of course.

And no question, Factory Five builds some pretty good stuff.

#72 Ian McKean

Ian McKean

• 480 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 23:13

Great news and I wish you the best of luck with this project. There are even a few in the UK to whom the history of Scarab means something. I can remember as a schoolboy reading the write-up in, I think, Autosport, which gave acceleration figures and the fact that the steering rack was off a Morris Minor!

If I may make a suggestion (sorry) concentrate on design and function rather than styling. Don't change the original too much! Cars like the recent Jensen sports car did not desrve to succeed and predictably failed because they concentrated on styling and turned out ugly. Good design is beautiful.

Think of the TVR Griff. A fabulous car, a really good design. But some of the recent TVRs have lost the plot.

#73 ScarabAuto

ScarabAuto

• 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 01:58

Ian, your suggestions are all valid. But, I must tell you, you are preaching to the choir. We will do our best to meet the golden mean of expectation. No ivory tower perspective here -- if I have anything to do with it. :up:

#74 TIPO61

TIPO61

• 499 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 00:55

I know that Don Orosco has, at least, one and has owned others.

Where are the others?

In particular, the, once raced, mid-engined intercontintal car?
Just curious.
Any, and all, pics would be most welcome.
Thanks.

#75 Cynic

Cynic

• 158 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 01:05

Scarab sports cars:

001 (Reventlow's car) is with Rob Walton
002 (Daigh's car) is with Augie Pabst
003 (Kessler's car) is in the Collier Museum

The Mid-Engined car is with Augie Pabst

Formula cars:

(001) is with Don Orosco with an Offenhauser engine
(002) was destroyed by Daigh at Silverstone and scrapped. A car supposedly built from some of the parts was owned by the late Ali Lugo; it was sold after his death, but I'm not sure where it went.
(003) which was not originally fitted with an engine is now in the Donington Museum.

The F366 car has a very odd and spotty record. What was claimed to be the car was discovered "disguised as a Brabham" and restored. It was also owned by the late Ali Lugo; again I'm not sure where it went after his death.

I'd be curious where Lugo's cars went.

None of the cars originally had a serial number; I've used what seems to be the most logical and accepted way of designating them.

#76 TIPO61

TIPO61

• 499 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 01:12

Cynic, thank you so much.
Do you have any info as to the whereabouts of the Desmo engines?

#77 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,879 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 02:09

Weren't they mentioned as being restored in a Motor Sport article a few years ago?

#78 Cynic

Cynic

• 158 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 02:48

I think that Don Orosco might have one desmo engine with his F1 Scarab, but I'm not certain. (I had the impression that he chose to fit the Offy engine because it would be better for vintage racing that the desmo, implying that he might have one.) I don't know what is in the Scarab at Donington. At least one of the F1 cars (001) had a Chevy V8 fitted at one point, and was used in that configuration in The Sound of Speed, the movie Bruce Kessler made about the Scarab team.

All the sports cars are either restored (001, 003) or maintained in essentially original condition (the two cars with Pabst). The first F1 (Orosco) is restored, and the Donington car apparently is at least in decent condition. I'm under the impression that the ex-Lugo cars were finished prior to his death.

(Edited to give Bruce Kessler proper credit.)

#79 rl1856

rl1856

• 158 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 03:13

Yes a desmo engine exists and was in the car that appeard at the GWFOS a few years ago.

Motor Sport (I think) had a subsiquent article on the car and Chuck Daigh, captioned "We could have run with them !"

Back in the day, the engine never gave more than 230hp on the dyno (documented and verified by several sources). Appearantly during the restoration, it was discovered that the cam shafts were installed incorrectly. This mistake was due to a some sort of computation error that altered the relationship of the cam to the timing of the engine. The mistake was made early in the design of the engine and never caught so that when the engine was built and run, it never made the expected power. Once the mistake was corrected, the engine proved capable of producing 250+hp on the dyno. The 2.5L Climax gave 240hp at best.

It is an interesting what if.

Best,

Ross

Advertisement

#80 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 06:06

Scarab F-1 1959 No. 59 3000cc
Chassis No. 001
Don Orosco

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Text from the program(me) at Monterey Historics, 2003.
What kind of engine would it be, at 3000cc?

--
Frank S

#81 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 868 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 07:43

This is the Orosco car at the Goodwood Revival in 2003

Posted Image

David

#82 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,879 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 09:10

Originally posted by Frank S
.....What kind of engine would it be, at 3000cc?

That's the Offy...

Initial tests of the car were done with that size engine back in 1959/60.

#83 Cynic

Cynic

• 158 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 14:56

As an aside, it is always easy to identify the three front-engined sports cars in photos. The first car, Lance's car which usually raced as #16, was the only LHD of the three. The second car, Daigh's car, which usually raced as #5 (Orosco's car 001 at Goodwood is painted in Daigh's number and trim), was RHD and always had a flat hood/bonnet. Kessler's 003, raced in various numbers including #16), was RHD but had a hood scoop (it was originally fitted with an Offenhauser, later a Chevy V8 like the other two).

Fortunately for historians the three cars maintained these characteristics during their entire careers, making the tracking of race histories much easier.

#84 Seppi_0_917PA

Seppi_0_917PA

• 166 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 15:14

Another aside: the current issue of Vintage Motorsport (2004/6 Nov/Dec) has a great 10 page article on the racing history of the Scarab mid-engine sports car.

#85 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,128 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 20:24

IIRC, there was a "fourth" Scarab built up from a few spare bits and a lot of stuff fabricated from the blueprints. Names and dates escape me at the moment, but the car was painted purple with Von Dutch style pinstriping and is used as a road car, with modern electronics for the engine. There's a sidebar about this car in Vintage Motorsport's book about road racing specials.

Here's a picture of the car currently owned by Augie Pabst:
[IMG]http://img120.exs.cx...scarab10.th.jpg[/IMG]

No hood scoop. When I took that pic, the Orosco car was in attendance as well. My Dad loves the Meister Brauser car, and we always make a point of finding it so I can take yet another picture of it. Naturally, we fount the Orosco car first. Cue head scratching and "What happened to the Meister Brauser guy?" comments. Somewhere I have a picture of the mid engined car, which was signwritten as the "Meister Brauser II"!

-William

#86 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,128 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 20:32

The middie:
[IMG]http://img100.exs.cx...scarab7b.th.jpg[/IMG]

Don't know when I took this, and I haven't seen this car since. But I do recognize the white Jag and the Aston off to the right, as I've seen them since.

-Wm.

#87 TIPO61

TIPO61

• 499 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 20:39

Y'all are too damn nice. Thanks.

#88 Cynic

Cynic

• 158 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 21:43

The "fourth" car was built up years later for Richard Reventlow, Lance's half-brother, by Troutman and Barnes (who had built the original Scarabs). I don't believe that it is claimed to contain any original parts, and some details were "improved" as it was intended strictly for road use. I believe Reventlow was never particularly happy with the car, and it was sold to Ron Kellogg, who owned it for years. (Someone recently told me that Kellogg had sold the car, which surprised me.) I suppose that it may show up as a vintage racer at some point, but it is in no way an original Scarab.

"Von Dutch" (his real name was Kenny Howard) not only did the pin striping on the original Scarabs, but was responsible for the unique shade of blue, and overall design of the scalloped paint scheme. (Von Dutch is worth a whole thread of his own. It's both sad and amusing today that the "Von Dutch" clothing fad is stoked by people who have no idea who this unique man was, or what he did.) There's a brief but very good bio of Von Dutch at http://www.letterhea...burns/vondutch/

#89 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,886 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 22:05

Another from Goodwood Revival 2003....

Posted Image

#90 Mischa Bijenhof

Mischa Bijenhof

• 306 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 00:33

No. 003, as displayed in the Donington Museum

Posted Image

#91 TIPO61

TIPO61

• 499 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 00:56

It jus' keeps getting better'n'better. Thanks again everyone.

#92 Cynic

Cynic

• 158 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 17:28

By merging the Scarab threads we seem to have touched on every aspect of the Scarabs save one: scale models. A small company called Midlantic Models in the U.K. has produced high-quality 1/43 versions of all four sports cars through their various owners and colors. Go to www.midlanticmodels.com and click on the Rear-Engined Scarab for the directory of their models. On each individual photo of the cars click on "More Information" for a quick history. The Meister Brausers, Nickey Nouse, Sportor, and others are available. (The firm apparently has plans to release versions of the F1 car as well.)

There were also plastic 1/24 kits of the Rear-Engined sports car, also done as a slot car body. These and other more rare plastic models turn up on eBay with some frequency.

#93 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,088 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 15:43

A company from the south of France called Jade Miniatures has already produced the Scarab F1 car in 1/43rd scale. Both kit and hand built model.

#94 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,157 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 18:29

Not in the same league by any means, but it is out there:

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

FAO SCHWARZ proudly joins emap usa in offering this exclusive MOTOR TREND Magazine Vintage Racing series. MOTOR TREND, the prestigious publication which bestows the distinguished "Car of the Year" award, is recognized as The World's # 1 Automotive Authority. Ober hte Decades, the magazine has chronicled the steady growth of auto racing in America and around the world. This MOTOR TREND Vintage Racing Series includes three highly detailed 1:43 scale race cars - each having written its own chapter in racing history books.

SCARAB: The homegrown Scarab established its historical significance by soundly beating Europe's fastest sports cars at the 1958 Grand Prix at Riverside. In doing so, this small-block All-American racer blazed the way for the Cobras and Chaparrals which followed. By the time the Scarab retired it had changed the face of racing and solidly established American racers as a world-class force.

FERRARI 365 GTS/4 "Daytona": In 1968, Ferrari gambled with its new model, the "Daytona".With the competition turning to mid-engine layout. In keeping the cart behind the house(power), Ferrari had produced a stunning coupe with an elongated hood, short rear deck and a comfortable, luxurious cabin. It was an instant hit and the 365 GTS/4 became one of Ferrari's most celebrated cars.

PORSCHE 356: In 1948, Ferdinand Porsche unveiled his first sports car. Two years later, he produced the fist vehicle to bear his name, the Porsche 356. It was a precision-crafted sports car with exceptional performance that remained in production until 1966, and successfully laid the groundwork from with the Porsche legend has grown. The 356's classic design is so irresistible that the basic lines are still being used on today's Porsche cars, more then 50 years later.

--
Frank S

#95 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,886 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 09:17

Originally posted by Roger Clark

This statement, about only just making the 1954 grid also appears in Mike Lawrence's Grand Prix Cars 1945-65. It is worth further examination.

First, if we are considering the competitiveness of the car, it's surely Moss' time, not Reventlow or Daigh's we should consider. 1 min 45s would have qualified for the back row in 1958, for the second row in 1957. Denis Jenkinson reckoned that a set of Dunlops would have given Moss 1min 43, if the car had fitted him properly he would have done 1min 42, if he had been trying he could have done 1m 41, and if starting money had been involved he could have done 1m 40. this would be good enough for the front row in 1958.

And if the valve timing problem had been known about and sorted?

#96 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,879 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 09:53

On the outright horsepower figures quoted above... not much, I wouldn't think...

The Climaxes might well have not had more than 240hp... but in 1958 there were Vanwalls and Ferraris out there with decidedly more than that.

#97 Cynic

Cynic

• 158 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 14:57

Er, did we just lose a member (Vasek) and some great photos from this thread?

#98 xkssFrankOpalka

xkssFrankOpalka

• 242 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 21:34

About 1963 the F1 car was offered for sale in the newspaper by Don Devine. Liked the car and talked to him about it but I was racing my Cooper Monaco at the time and didnt know what could be done with the Scarab. It had no engine but it was rumored that engines were sitting behind some shop in Ca locked in a semi trailer. I saw the car at Donnington later. I was in the race where Jery Hansen crashed his Scarab, hes lucky to be alive.

#99 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 14:23

Originally posted by Roger Clark

First, if we are considering the competitiveness of the car, it's surely Moss' time, not Reventlow or Daigh's we should consider. .

For those with a serious Scarab interest, I noticed at a recent Prescott meeting that Ted Walker, ferretfotographics , try BB on TNF or website, has a good collection of b/w photos taken at Monaco showing Moss, Reventlow, Daigh et al, just as SCM returns to the pits in the Scarab, gets out, and gives his views. Well worth having, IMHO, for any serious Scarab fan; from what I have seen in the Scarab books and articles these are essentially unseen period shots.

Usual disclaimers

Roger Lund.

Advertisement

#100 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 21:11

Originally posted by WDH74
The middie:
[IMG]http://img100.exs.cx...scarab7b.th.jpg[/IMG]

Don't know when I took this, and I haven't seen this car since. But I do recognize the white Jag and the Aston off to the right, as I've seen them since.

-Wm.

We were very fortunate in being able to see this car at a very early Goodwood Festival, 94?, must check photofiles.
Again, where else could I see this if not at Goodwood?

RL