Photo

Tommy Byrne, TNFer & award-winning author

• Please log in to reply
515 replies to this topic

#1 LB

LB

• 13,553 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 21:55

I had to ask this Twinny. Are you back on the Autosport staff? Tommy Byrne has turned up in the rag at least three times in the last two months. Mainly referring to his blistering McLaren test. mainly as an aside but notable for his inclusion yet again.

So how quick was he really? Now that my interest has been stirred I'm curious. To me he was another driver I could pick out by name but as he was around at the start of my time and mainly in the lower formula I can't really say.

Advertisement

#2 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 00:22

To my mind Tommy was the most talented driver from these islands during his era. He was a complete natural...

In 1981 he won the British and European FF2000 Championships in a works Van Diemen. Then, at the season's end, Van Diemen's factory FF1600 driver Ayrton Senna da Silva (as he still was) threw a tantrum and went home to Brazil, leaving Ralph Firman high and dry for the highly-prestigious Formula Ford Festival - or Marlboro World Cup, as it was that year. Ralph had little choice but to ask Tommy to fill in, and he dutifully did.

It's not easy to revert from a double-championship campaign in a slicks & wings formula and revert back to street tyres & no wings and still be quick. But he did, and was, and duly won the World Cup.

And I must say that I'm rather proud to have the famous 'trophy which Senna never won' in my hallway here (mag included for the benefit of more cynical persons!)...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tommy then went and won the Thruxton F3 'TV Race' on his debut in the formula, which preceded a season of British F3 with (ex-Motoring News scribe) Murray Taylor Racing. Despite missing five rounds, he managed to win that too. You could say that he was on a roll....

Well, he was. But not in every arena. Tommy was offered a McLaren testing contract - almost unheard of in those days - directly after his domination of the BGP F3 race. He politely declined, because he'd also received a simultaneous an offer from the opposite end of the grid, courtesy the Theodore team, and the difference was that this was a race deal... [NB: I have to be careful now, simply because Tommy is working on his autobiography and I don't want to spoil the impact.] Suffice to say that - at the end of season test with them at Silverstone, he was well and truly 'stitched up'.

Even so, talented chap that he is, he nevertheless managed to set a best time in the region of over 2 secs faster than Lauda and Watson, and over a second quicker than Boutsen, with a time which was third-fastest ever ground effect F1 lap of the Silverstone GP circuit...

He suffered badly from adverse publicity thanks to certain elements within F1, and was obliged to stay in F3 for '83, albeit in the European series. If you can get hold of a tape of the Monaco race that year then do so; he was nothing short of awesome! (And if they show the slow-down lap, you'll see him stop to talk to me outside the Tip Top!).

Following another year with Anson (Gary Anderson's team), he went to the USA; firstly in SuperVee & FF, then followed by ARS. And once there, he learned a really mean barbeque technique too!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I won't go on about the ins and outs of his career, as it's all well documented I suppose. But I should perhaps mention that - at one point - he was the most successful ARS/Indy Lights driver, only to be the perrenial bridesmaid thanks to pure bad fortune.

Heck, I'm biased - he's my best mate! :up: Oh, and watch out for my godson Tommy Junior, because he's on is way up...!

Posted Image Posted Image

Anyway, there are plenty of you out there who'll have seen him perform - so what do you think...?

#3 angst

angst

• 7,135 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 00:55

I remember thinking, when he turned up in Euro F3 in '83, what the f*** is Tommy Byrne doing here? He'd proven everything he could in F3 in '82 - a season he dominated, something Senna couldn't do the following year. He'd shown a good turn of speed in what was by no means a competitive car with Theodore and not one other F1 manager saw that?

Of all the British based drivers at that time I think he was the one that could have really done it. Not only was he obviously immensely talented and fast he also had the self-belief - almost arrogance - so obvious in the likes of Mansell, Senna, Prost and Schumacher.

Was he ignored because he was't demure or 'corporate' enough? It was about this time (the Superilence strike at Kyalami was the first warning) that drivers were becoming, more and more, mouthpieces for their employees - about the same time as Ron Dennis came into F1. Coincidence?

It's a shame he didn't get the break he deserved. But then again if he'd have had to have changed his personality to do it then f*** 'em. F1's loss. IMO

#4 xflow7

xflow7

• 3,085 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 01:05

I've never seen him race, but he's been an instructor at Mid-Ohio both times I've gone to the school, and I can say he's one hell of a fun guy to be around. :up:

#5 fausto

fausto

• 528 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 05:33

I remember I read on some Italian (or British/Autosport) magazine that he was "so natural" because he was born in the car on the way to the hospital, is this true?

#6 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,118 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 13:22

Twinny, I agree with you on Tommy B, I also thought him very talented. He looked good in FF in 1980, then dominated 2000 the next year, though I reckon the VD was the car to have. The most impressing thing for me was in F3 in early 82, when I think he won 4 of the first 5 British races in a year old RT3, on a very small budget I believe. Completely blew off Weaver/Brundle/Scott/sundry South Americans.

He was one I 'took against' though, partly because he was too good, and I always support 'underdogs' (!), also because I got the impression from afar that he was a bit too confident ! I do think though that he should have gone a lot further than he did.

Did his personality work against him, in those increasingly 'corporate' days ??

#7 Danny Skehan

Danny Skehan

• 68 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 14:06

Yep! A truly awesome driver – from the Mondello and Phoenix Park days to his racing in the States, Saw Tommy race on many many occasions and had the great pleasure of meeting him at the Miami CART race when he was racing in Indy Lights – he is one of the good guys! :clap:

#8 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 23:37

Originally posted by fausto

I remember I read on some Italian (or British/Autosport) magazine that he was "so natural" because he was born in the car on the way to the hospital, is this true?

Yes, fauso, it's true! I just spoke to Tommy, as I couldn't remember which road it took place on. He was born on the back seat as they sped down the main dual carriageway between Dundalk and Drogheda heading for the hospital...

Tommy also likes to tell (his boys especially) about how he didn't sleep in a cot (crib) because there was no space. Instead his parents put him to bed in a cupboard drawer to sleep when he was a baby!

Originally posted by Mallory Dan

Completely blew off Weaver/Brundle/Scott/sundry South Americans.

...including Roberto Moreno, Quique Mansilla and our fellow TNFer Enrique Benamo (known here as Repco von Brabham)!

Did his personality work against him, in those increasingly 'corporate' days ??

I think that nowadays Tommy can see how his self-confidence (in his driving ability) rubbed some people up the wrong way, yes.

But, you know what? It was just that - his character - which made him so popular with the Americans when he first raced over there. I'll never forget Tommy and I going out for a few beers with Willy T Ribbs in Long Beach, 1984. At the time, Willy T had a reputation as being the biggest character on the US racing scene, but he just did not know how to cope with Tommy! It was so funny watching him, with his jaw gaping open in disbelief as Tommy held court...

#9 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 00:16

Originally posted by angst

I remember thinking, when he turned up in Euro F3 in '83, what the f*** is Tommy Byrne doing here? He'd proven everything he could in F3 in '82 - a season he dominated, something Senna couldn't do the following year. He'd shown a good turn of speed in what was by no means a competitive car with Theodore and not one other F1 manager saw that?

Of all the British based drivers at that time I think he was the one that could have really done it [...] It's a shame he didn't get the break he deserved. But then again if he'd have had to have changed his personality to do it then f*** 'em. F1's loss. IMO

angst... I'll make sure Tommy sees this! :up: And you're right; the Theodore was a complete pile of poo.

Originally posted by xflow7
I've never seen him race, but he's been an instructor at Mid-Ohio both times I've gone to the school, and I can say he's one hell of a fun guy to be around. :up:

...and this too! :up:

:clap:

Did anyone else witness his complete destruction of the opposition in the GP F3 support race Brands in '82? He was sooo much quicker through Paddock, it was unreal!

And how about TransAm? IIRC in the wet one time, he was seven seconds faster than the next bloke...! :eek:

#10 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,182 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 21:15

Hey TW, thought you might like to see this pic I came across amongst my slides. Waiting to go out for F3 practice at the 1983 British GP meeting.

Posted Image

#11 xflow7

xflow7

• 3,085 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 21:29

I love the helmet design with the headphones painted on. :rotfl: :up:

#12 Fat Boy

Fat Boy

• 2,594 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 22:08

Here's a good (although 2nd hand) Tommy B. story.

Indy Lights race at Pocono. The forecast is for rain 100%. The crew preps the car and leaves the track, Tommy's with them. It's raining, and it's going to rain for at least the next 24 hours, there's no way that they're going to be running the next day.

Everyone goes for a big piss-up. Tommy leads the pack drinking twice his share.

The alarm clock goes off the next day and it's dry! Somehow the rain hit around the track, but the track itself is dry. There is a practice session in the morning and single car qualifying mid-afternoon.

Tommy can't go out for practice. He's sick as a dog. Hell, the whole crew is wrecked.

They line him up for qualifying. He still hasn't been able to keep even water down. In single car qualifying, you call out how many laps you want to warm up with. Everyone is taking the maximum which means they are getting the green flag on the 4th time by.

Tommy was fastest in practice on the previous day, so he was the last to qualify. Right before the official sends him out he asks how many warm-up laps. Tommy holds up his index finger. Green flag first time by.

You get 2 timed laps in single car oval qualifying. Tommy took his one warm-up lap and one timed lap before pulling in.

With his single timed lap he stuck it on Pole.

A mechanic drags him out of the car and takes him back to the hotel. Needless to say, he had an early night. Pretty sure he won the race the next day, too.

#13 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 08:58

Racing one of those March-Buicks around Pocon with all that bolier plate everywhere? scarey stuff!

#14 Todd

Todd

• 18,936 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 03:02

I was inspired by this thread to do some research on Tommy Byrne, and I stumbled on this Joe Saward article about Gerhard Berger, in which Tommy Byrne plays a supporting role. Pretty entertaining stuff: http://www.grandprix...gt/gt00089.html

#15 Mike Lawrence

Mike Lawrence

• 288 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 07:45

I was one for the few present when when Tommy Byrne had his McLaren test. He was so full of himself that Ron Dennis said, 'I don't care how quick he is, I never want to see that man near one of my cars again.'

Tommy, it was widely believed, liked to stuff the Devil's dandruff up his nose. This issue has to come out sometime, it might as well be now. Tommy liked nasal highballs, they both helped and wrecked him.

Byrne drove a Theodore in the 1982 Austrian GP, he qualified last. An Austrian TV interviewer asked him what he thought of Niki Lauda. You are a rookie, you need sponsorship, you are in Austria and you are asked about Lauda. Is it really sensible to say, 'Niki who?'

There was the time when he missed an F3 qualifying session at Donington Park while trying to rebuld his career, because he took his girlfriend back to their hotel for a shag. Why they could not have done it in the back of the transporter, like everyone else, remains a mystery.

The fact is that Tommy was brilliantly gifted, but he was also an utter prat. He has not been the only utter prat in motor racing and we do ourselves no service if we pretend otherwise.

#16 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,955 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 09:29

I wonder if Buford will comment on that one?

Mike, you just keep telling it like it is. Or was.

#17 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:27

Originally posted by Mike Lawrence

I was one for the few present when when Tommy Byrne had his McLaren test. He was so full of himself that Ron Dennis said, 'I don't care how quick he is, I never want to see that man near one of my cars again.'

According to Tommy, some Van Diemen personnel, plus two McLaren mechanics who were working there that day, Dennis was not present. Tyler Alexander was in charge in his absence.

Tommy, it was widely believed, liked to stuff the Devil's dandruff up his nose. This issue has to come out sometime, it might as well be now. Tommy liked nasal highballs, they both helped and wrecked him.

While Tommy was no angel, he most certainly never indulged in anything which may have 'helped' his driving (and quite how you determine that such practices would in any way 'help' a driver beats me). Hung over on the odd occasion (see the earlier post) perhaps, but other stuff? And in an F1 car? Get a grip.

Byrne drove a Theodore in the 1982 Austrian GP, he qualified last. An Austrian TV interviewer asked him what he thought of Niki Lauda. You are a rookie, you need sponsorship, you are in Austria and you are asked about Lauda. Is it really sensible to say, 'Niki who?'

I never realised Bob Constanduros was Austrian... It was a joke, said in private, and to someone he thought was a friend.

There was the time when he missed an F3 qualifying session at Donington Park while trying to rebuld his career, because he took his girlfriend back to their hotel for a shag. Why they could not have done it in the back of the transporter, like everyone else, remains a mystery.

He was sent back to the hotel and told to wait for a call by his boss Gary Anderson. However Gary didn't realise Tommy was staying in a different place to him, and so when he tried to call he couldn't find him. Once Tommy was located, he got to the track in time for one flying lap and put the Anson on the front row.

The fact is that Tommy was brilliantly gifted, but he was also an utter prat. He has not been the only utter prat in motor racing and we do ourselves no service if we pretend otherwise.

Yep. Even more prats than I'd realised, in fact...

[A little more detail added, now I've had chance to double-check a couple of points with Tommy. Unlike some, I choose to make sure of my facts first.]

#18 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 12:23

I knew this would get tetchy! Still in Byrnes defence you only live once, at least he enjoyed himself whilst doing it - not like most of todays F1 drivers - "soul-less, ball-less, suckers of satans c~~k, each and every one of them".

Plus he was a mick, so its part of the job spec :rotfl:

#19 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 14:12

Fat Boy;

I've checked this out with Tommy, as my recollection wasn't too good not having been at that race. Essentially the story you heard is correct, except it was race day the following day and not qualifying - Tommy was already on pole.

The ARS teams were told the night before race day that the CART event was their priority and instead of being run prior to the main event as normal, the ARS race would run afterwards - if at all - as the forecast was for rain. So, as you heard, the team went out and partied knowing that at best they had a late start time the next day, and a strong likelyhood of being completely rained-off.

But then, due to the weather pattern changing, the organisers had a change of plan. But omitted to tell anyone... Tommy was given a call at about 5.30am and informed that his race had been rescheduled for 8.00am. He won the race, and went straight to his friend's motorhome and was fed steak in order to feel 'better'!

Dolomite & xflow7;

Nice shot, Dolomite! That helmet design was great, wasn't it? It was done in deference to his personal sponsor Koss, who made high quality speakers and the like. Perhaps it attracted too much attention, however, as it was subsequently stolen.

Danny;

I might have met you in Miami too!

Todd;

That piece by Joe really sums it up! And it's 100% accurate, too...

Advertisement

#20 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 7,199 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 10:40

Regardless of any off track actions, I was impressed with Tommy's ability just from watching the ARS events on television.

My father, a long time race watcher, was also very impressed with Tommy from watching those same ARS races on TV. He used to ask why he didn't get a shot in CART, since he clearly had much more talent than several that moved up.

I recall a spectacular move Tommy made in one of the Long Beach events. He swung to the outside wall nearing the end of the Shoreline straight, darted over to the inside and outbraked into the right hand turn 1. Third to first, IIRC.

#21 paulsenna1

paulsenna1

• 264 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 19:48

Tommy was a super quick guy when I saw him in the early 80s.

He could have been a major rival to Senna if events had gone his way. From me there can be no higher praise than that.

Paul.

#22 LB

LB

• 13,553 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 00:58

Some fascinating stuff above, thanks guys for the expanded information. Sounds like he was another great lost talent sadly. Still wondering why he is featuring in Autosport every two weeks at the moment I would guess one of the current staffers is a big fan :D

Gotta love that helmet, brilliant!!

#23 rosemeyer

rosemeyer

• 245 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 00:41

twinny can you e-mail me Tommy byrns e-mail adress.

#24 MCS

MCS

• 4,686 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 21:31

I've just been reading the "Whose the best Irish driver of all time?" thread.

For probably what little it's worth I posted the following:

Tommy Byrne...well, well, well.

Never forget one sunny afternoon in the early eighties (82, I would guess) when I was in Hyde Park reading a book - I should have been in the office - when this chap comes bounding up to me and says "hello stranger, long time - no see" (or words to that effect).

It was Tom. We'd not met for a few years and he proudly told me about his successive F3 victories. It made my day. I had no idea about his success, because I had stopped following all motor racing completely for reasons that remain unclear.

I think he was with Murray Taylor's wife's sister - very attractive girl anyway...

I was probably one of the first - if not the first - British journo to meet Tom Byrne (as he was then generally known, i.e not "Tommy") at Mondello Park the week before the annual Phoenix Park meeting.

His new Formula Ford PRS had failed just before the final corner and I asked him what the problem was :eek:

Realising who I was after my brief introduction - I worked on Motoring News - he had a real go at me because I'd described him as "overrated" in the paper the previous week.

Basically he told me to watch and see, which I did.

I was impressed, very impressed actually. And absolutely delighted that sunny day in London's Hyde Park when we met by chance and he told me of his successes in F3. I remember it well.

What a shame he never realised that great early potential. Yes, he was clearly VERY talented.

Mark

#25 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 18:39

Posted Image

Twinny...and other interested parties. I have just figured out how to use Imageshack (having recently crawled out of a cave) and I thought you might like this picture. I know you are a Tommy Byrne fan and here is a nice picture of Tommy and me having a chit chat. He is the one in the car!

It was in the Pheonix Park, Dublin in (i think) 1980. I was stationed at my post which was about where the blue flag is laying...under the car...when the Tommy got hit from behind approaching Mountjoy corner on the second lap. I remenber considering for a moment that if I ducked down behind the Gas Lamp Post I would be safe. My insticts knew better and had me running even before the debate in my mind had concluded.

I thought you might enjoy this...

Mo.

#26 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 18:40

I promise to work on my spelling and proof reading now that I have mastered Imageshack ;)

Mo.

#27 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 18:44

Bye the way, the car is actually travelling right to left and in this shot has completed 180 degrees (270 degrees from it's rightful direction) of the first of several flat spins induced by the sudden arrival of the lamp post in it's path.

#28 Cappo

Cappo

• 101 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 18:49

Remember it well - missed the shot by looking the other way :eek: Phoenix Park - yet another gas lamp bites the dust - you were very lucky :clap:

#29 Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

• 256 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 18:51

Shouldn't you be waving that yellow...? :drunk:

#30 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 19:00

Technically no because at that moment the incident was still upstream of the flag post. Anyway I was think of "wiping" with the yellow about the time this shot was taken ;)

#31 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 19:06

Great shot Mo :up: :lol:

I've sent a link to Tommy as I'm sure he'll have a reason for it! He probably spotted some totty somewhere...

#32 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 20:44

Phoenix Park lamposts... I love the irish sense of logic that decided to protect some of the lamposts with Skips when we went there in the early 90s with the Porsches... whats the best way to stop a 934 wiping out a historic Lampost? stick a skip in front of it of course... You had to laugh! Then again the organisers did set up a tour of the Guinness brewery the night before the race as I recall. Although its all a bit hazy now....

#33 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 20:45

Here's Tommy's reply...

"I was just starting the 2nd lap and I started outside pole, which - at that time - was a disaster for me as I was obviously the best driver in the world and I didn't get the pole! I was already been talked about as being a washed-up wanker by the Tommy-haters...

I think I got the jump at the start and I got into the first turn 1st or 2nd, and - just when I was about to turn in - I happened to glance in my mirror and saw shit flying behind me! Somebody had missed their braking point, and so I decided to be on the safe side and go straight on down the escape road, turn around and start last.

That's what was happening when I went in to Mountjoy; I'd hit the brakes, the back ones locked up, and around she went until I came to a stop by the lamp post...

I didn't even see Mo, as when I crashed I always held on for dear life and shut my eyes until it was all over! When I was taken into the ambulance, my sister was waiting for me and I could hear the corner workers shouting "turn off the power!" Then I heard them shouting "turn off the gas...!"

That was the only time that I got hurt in a race car - when my knee hit against the chassis."

Mo - can you email me, please? Ta.

#34 Théodore33

Théodore33

• 157 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 20:06

For everybody

A great pic of Tommy Byrne at Las Vegas in 1982.

http://www.gpx.it/mo...Theodore-01.jpg

#35 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 22:48

For those who are interested, there is the possibility of some resonably exciting news regarding TB! No, it's not book-orientated (although that project proceeds to evolve, and I had a long couple of chats with Mark Hughes in Imola) but this is more of an on-track nature...

As soon as I'm able to, I'll tell all!

#36 rosemeyer

rosemeyer

• 245 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 01:03

I think Tommy should be fighting for the WDC championship

#37 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,569 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 07:19

I reckon Tommy might guest in the TGP ??

#38 fausto

fausto

• 528 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 07:22

GrandAm Daytona Prototype....
:)

#39 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 07:41

I bet Byrne would be a good endurance racer. Look at 'our' Lammers (who is TB's senior). At their age they might no longer be so very quick, however the ability to race isnt lost by age alone. Give the man a car...

Advertisement

#40 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:15

Originally posted by Arjan de Roos
I bet Byrne would be a good endurance racer. Look at 'our' Lammers (who is TB's senior). At their age they might no longer be so very quick, however the ability to race isnt lost by age alone. Give the man a car...

Would be great to see Tommy in GrandAm or ALMS, definitely!

#41 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 12:03

I reckon its that GP masters series that Danner, Jones and the rest of 'em are signed up for. Cheers for unlocking this Twinny btw :up:

#42 MCS

MCS

• 4,686 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 13:36

Originally posted by ghinzani
Cheers for unlocking this Twinny btw :up:

:confused:

#43 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:51

After leaving my last post I locked it by mistake, Mark! :blush:

#44 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 23:59

You say in another post Birrane is involved. Now he did used to like big sportscars, so altho my heart would like to see Tommy in GP masters finally showing the GP stars of his generation the way, I reckon it might have to be a World Sportscar maybe?

I am desperate to know ;)

#45 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 00:16

It's not a huge deal, initially at any rate, but if it happens it will see Tommy race again in the UK after an absence of almost 19 years. Race in the singular sense, I hasten to add...

He'll be chuffed at the positive response to this latest possibility (which, by the way, should be confirmed or canned within the next week) and I know he looks at this thread every now and again.

When I was in Daytona, I signed him up for TNF as he said was happy to contribute the occasional post - but I then lost his bloody password! I'll see if I can sort that out, as it seems as if a few of us would like to hear his views - on a few different topics, I imagine...  ;)

And yes, Ghinza, Martin is assisting Tommy financially should it come to fruition. Are you aware that Tommy once tested one of Martin's NASCAR chassis? Not a lot of people know that...!

#46 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 00:38

It would be just like Martin Birrane to put together and Irish team for the A1 series and that being said, don't they have a race planned for Brands in September???;)

Mo.

#47 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 07:03

I was thinking more of that GP masters series that was mooted rather than A1 - A1 is the sheikh backed thing for and coming drivers isnt it?
TW I am sure I read about Tommy in a Nascar in Autospurt before, Birrane had Bush/ARCA or Nascar teams for a couple of years, non?

#48 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 18:51

Originally posted by ghinzani

TW I am sure I read about Tommy in a Nascar in Autospurt before, Birrane had Bush/ARCA or Nascar teams for a couple of years, non?

Apologies for this hideously late reply, Ghinza... :blush:

That's right, Martin did have a team for a while. When I was in Mondello for the BSB race earlier this year, I had the chance to go round the museum Martin's created there. It's not Donington - it doesn't pretend to be - but there are some great cars in there nevertheless!

Included in that number are at least two NASCAR chassis which Martin entered in the early 1990s (I think it was). Tommy had one, maybe two, tests and unfortunately shunted. The cars were all supplied by Richard Childress, IIRC, and I think they featured the legend 'Mondello Park' large on the rear fenders.

Anyhow, the 'big' news regarding Tommy a few months back was the chance he would be in the 'guest car' for the Porsche Supercup race supporting the British GP. Sadly, however, it didn't come together...

On a brighter note, I'm hoping Tommy will be posting here himself in the not too distant. We've just been sorting out his password etc, and that's how I came across the unanswered question!

#49 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 21:16

A bit of news. :)

Tommy was over in Ireland from Florida last week, just for a few days. Mark Hughes and I duly met up with him there, the main objective being for those two to progress the book project...

Posted Image

...and to re-visit some of Tommy's old haunts. This was an early place of gainful employment for TB;

Posted Image

The book isn't too far away, and could well be out next year. :up:

#50 Théodore33

Théodore33

• 157 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 01:07

A very great pic of Tommy Byrne at Las Vegas during his last F1 GP with the Teddy Yp Theodore#33

Posted Image

Copyright Unknown