Photo

Tommy Byrne, TNFer & award-winning author

• Please log in to reply
490 replies to this topic

#51 Fiorentina 1

Fiorentina 1

• 292 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 06:29

A book, eh? Man, that should be an interesting read. A cross between Tony Lanfranchi's and Perry McCarthy's. :wave:

Woooooord! :smoking:

Advertisement

#52 theunions

theunions

• 638 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 19:53

Twinny, you're gonna have to explain why Tommy's holding the laptop sideways.;)

#53 bluelite

bluelite

• 56 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 23:56

I know the name 'Tommy Byrne' since a long time, but I didn't have a clue about who he is and what he did (except F3 and F1). After reading this whole thread, I am very interested to learn more about him and a book would then be a very good thing. I hope one can buy this book in Belgium or the Netherlands.

Regards,

#54 Cappo

Cappo

• 80 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:13

Can't wait for the book - it would be great to see Tommy back racing again!

here are a few memories to keep you going - i don't think that this gas lamp carnage in the Phoienix Park was Tommys fault!!

A very young Tommy

Posted Image

Posted Image

gas fun - Phonenix Park!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mondello

Posted Image

Partners in crime! - Tommy and Colin Lees

Posted Image

Indy Lights - Miami

Posted Image

#55 Jerome

Jerome

• 2,088 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 14:39

I've heard that story about Byrne being eyeblinding fast, and being so cocky Dennis still didn't want him in his car... and I don't believe it.

If Byrne was almost as quick as Lauda and Watson... I would have taken with a pinch of salt

If he was one tenth quicker than Lauda and Watson on the same day in the same car, in the same specification, in the same circumstances, I would say: highly improbable...

If he was a second quicker, I flat out say it is a urban (Byrne) myth. Anyone who is that fast would be snapped up by any clear thinking teammanager, even if he was a complete prat, had a beard to his knees, and had a stench of garlic that you could smell the whole world round.

Teammanagers will pays MILLIONS for any driver that is quick, even if the proof that the driver is really quick is very whimsical indeed. Look at the trouble Niki Lauda got into with Ron Denns when the latter discovered that Prost was on average a second quicker than Niki in qualifying. And only two years before Dennis had promised Lauda millions to come back, just based on his results in the past...

And I am a Lauda fan, please keep that in mind!

So I would really like for someone up with proof that Byrne was indeed that quick in the car, and a checkable quote from anyone in the team McLaren, for me not to say: 'B...s...'

So I am not saying Byrne was not quick. He probably was. But the explanation why Dennis didn't hire him (or whoever took that decision), that I don't believe

#56 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 16:24

Originally posted by Cappo

i don't think that this gas lamp carnage in the Phoienix Park was Tommys fault!!

Cappo, you are right. Tommy was hit from behind just as he started braking for mountjoy corner on lap 2 of the FF final in the park in 1979. I like the pics of Tommy in the PRS. I was in Mondello when he got his first win in that car. These must be from 1978.

The tall fellow stepping out of car number 20 is Martin McCarthy who went on to write about motorsport for the irish newspapers and is still very much invovled.

Mo.

#57 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 23:15

A very young Tommy

Posted Image
[/IMG]

Very young! Great pics. :up:

I hope Tommy will post here himself soon; I suppose I could always threaten to show everyone the photo he'd rather I didn't...

Did you take the Miami '87 pic too, Cappo? We may have met there, if you know 'The Knacker' yourself!

#58 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 632 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 23:19

Tommy led a small group of drivers from the Dundalk area , I hope they get a mention , there must be some good stories , about there early struggles ,and helping one another out . I remember Tommys first car a Crossle 16 or 20F , very ropey , shades of early David Kennedy cars .

#59 angst

angst

• 7,135 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 00:29

Originally posted by Jerome.Inen
I've heard that story about Byrne being eyeblinding fast, and being so cocky Dennis still didn't want him in his car... and I don't believe it.

If Byrne was almost as quick as Lauda and Watson... I would have taken with a pinch of salt

If he was one tenth quicker than Lauda and Watson on the same day in the same car, in the same specification, in the same circumstances, I would say: highly improbable...

If he was a second quicker, I flat out say it is a urban (Byrne) myth. Anyone who is that fast would be snapped up by any clear thinking teammanager, even if he was a complete prat, had a beard to his knees, and had a stench of garlic that you could smell the whole world round.

Teammanagers will pays MILLIONS for any driver that is quick, even if the proof that the driver is really quick is very whimsical indeed. Look at the trouble Niki Lauda got into with Ron Denns when the latter discovered that Prost was on average a second quicker than Niki in qualifying. And only two years before Dennis had promised Lauda millions to come back, just based on his results in the past...

So I would really like for someone up with proof that Byrne was indeed that quick in the car, and a checkable quote from anyone in the team McLaren, for me not to say: 'B...s...'

So I am not saying Byrne was not quick. He probably was. But the explanation why Dennis didn't hire him (or whoever took that decision), that I don't believe

You've heard of a guy called Gilles Villeneuve? You know he was under contract to Marlboro McLaren in '77, with an option on his services for '78? After his debut at Silverstone that year you'd think (using your, admittedly logical, reasoning) they would have fought tooth and nail to keep hold of such a talent. Alas they did no such thing. They were quite happy to let him go so long (apparently) as he didn't sign for Wolf Racing.

Doesn't make sense does it?

Advertisement

#60 jde

jde

• 42 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 03:50

Stuart:

Have another couple pics my Mom shot to add to the thread, from this past April:

Posted Image

Posted Image

My Dad had Tommy as an instructor at Mid-Ohio, and went for a very memorable ride with him. He chatted with Tommy a bit at a couple of the pro weekends over the summer as well, and gets a big kick out of him.

I've only briefly met him, but did get the chance to chase him in the school cars giving joy rides during lunch breaks. :p

Looking forward to the book.

-jde

#61 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 07:52

Originally posted by angst

You've heard of a guy called Gilles Villeneuve?

:clap: :up: Spot-on, angst!

Originally posted by jde

My Dad had Tommy as an instructor at Mid-Ohio, and went for a very memorable ride with him.

Great pics, jde!

I'm not in the least surprised to hear of yet another person who enjoyed his time spent with TB.

Good job you took the classroom pic at the angle you did; a few degrees difference and Calvin's beak would have blocked out all the light...  ;)

#62 Cappo

Cappo

• 80 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:38

Hi Twinny

Yep! I took the Miami pictures as well – was over on a photo assignment working with Aer Lingus for the in-flight magazine on a story on Derek Daly in Indy car and on the Mondiale used in Indy Lights. Did not know Tommy personally – but met him on a couple of occasions including Miami – seem to remember a few beers and a hamburger! In fact I got arrested by race marshals for drinking a beer trackside!

I have been a fan of all Irish race drivers and particularly the ones that have made huge sacrifices to succeed – hence my admiration for Tom.

Danny

#63 Updraught

Updraught

• 47 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 17:51

Villeneuve was dropped by McLaren for commercial reasons, not ability.

Marlboro preferred an actual French driver at McLaren, not just a French-speaking one.

France was a big market for Marlboro promotions during that time. Tambay was followed by Prost at McLaren. And Pironi, Tambay, and Arnoux, along with Villeneuve, were given opportunities, thanks to Marlboro, at Ferrari.

#64 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 18:49

Cappo, do you still have the piece you wrote. It would be good reading on this site.

Mo.

#65 Cappo

Cappo

• 80 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 19:11

Brian Foley wrote the story - I took the pictures. I will try to dig it out and scan it. It was for a general audience so it was not quite a race report - more like a business piece. In fact, I dreamt up the story as I was going to Florida on another story and wanted to see the race!

#66 Jerome

Jerome

• 2,088 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 20:35

Yeah, I heard of a guy called Gilles Villeneuve. I had a poster of him in my room when I was 17 or so... No need for sarcasm, because Angst fantastic retort is actually... fluffffffffffffffffff

So Villeneuve was dropped for commercial reasons... or another. At least he was not not signed because he wasn't liked by the team key players. And that was the point I made about Byrne. The story is: They didn't sign him because he was a prat (or they thought he was, imcompatibite des humeurs, etcetera), though eyeblinding quick. There never was such a story about Villeneuve. So the comparison between Villeneuve and Byrne is nill and void.

Look, I am not flakking Byrne. All I want to hear or read is:

1. What are the concrete results of that infamous testing day, and the circumstances (same car, same circumstances, stuff like that)
2. Has anyone at McLaren really hinted they would have signed him if he had not been a prat, or something like that?

It is easy to say in a discussion: You're wrong, because your wrong

#67 angst

angst

• 7,135 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 21:26

Yeah, I heard of a guy called Gilles Villeneuve. I had a poster of him in my room when I was 17 or so... No need for sarcasm, because Angst fantastic retort is actually... fluffffffffffffffffff

So Villeneuve was dropped for commercial reasons... or another. At least he was not not signed because he wasn't liked by the team key players. And that was the point I made about Byrne. The story is: They didn't sign him because he was a prat (or they thought he was, imcompatibite des humeurs, etcetera), though eyeblinding quick. There never was such a story about Villeneuve. So the comparison between Villeneuve and Byrne is nill and void.

Look, I am not flakking Byrne. All I want to hear or read is:

1. What are the concrete results of that infamous testing day, and the circumstances (same car, same circumstances, stuff like that)
2. Has anyone at McLaren really hinted they would have signed him if he had not been a prat, or something like that?

It is easy to say in a discussion: You're wrong, because your wrong

It wasn't meant as sarcasm, I apologise if it came across that way - I just felt that was the best way to introduce the point.

And the point was that, contrary to your very logical reasoning, there are reasons that teams will pass over a major talent. It is the samein all walks of life, because every walk of life is full of people, and people do not act, generally, particularly logically.

Let's not forget that at the time Ron already had Niki Lauda and John Watson, he had John Barnard, he had good support from Marlboro and TAG (who were bank-rolling his upcoming Porsche turbo engines). In a position as strong as that he didn't need to work with anybody he didn't want to.

#68 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 22:16

Did not know Tommy personally – but met him on a couple of occasions including Miami – seem to remember a few beers and a hamburger!

Sounds like we'll have met, then! :up:

Originally posted by theunions

Twinny, you're gonna have to explain why Tommy's holding the laptop sideways.;)

Erm..., they were discussing a particularly tricky right-hander? :drunk:

#69 Tommy Byrne

Tommy Byrne

• 33 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 03:18

Well Stuart has finally convinced me to reply to some of your questions.

Ah the famous McLaren test that everybody talks about, and knows everything about but knows nothing about. There is no direct comparison with Lauda or Watson, as they were not there on the same day as I was. The only direct comparison I have is Boutsen. He drove 1st he did about 15 laps came in, his major complaint was lots of understeer. He was given a new set of tires went back out did another 10 laps and his best lap was one minute 10. 9 something.

The McLaren mechanics went about putting my pedals in which I had fitted and marked with my name on a few weeks before at the McLaren factory. It took about one hour, now it was my turn and to be honest I was a little worried after hearing Boutsen talk about the understeer, listening to him it seemed to be quite bad and I respected Boutsen as a driver. After watching him for years, he was 'quick'. Remember this was a big test for me as I had to prove to those f**kers from Theodore that I was as good as I said I was. Now I hear "lots of understeer".

Shit yeah I was worried! Tyler Axelander was in charge as Ron Dennis was not even at the test.
After my first lap in the car my worries were gone yes there was understeer but all I did was brake about a couple of feet early and turn in a bit early and drive right thru it. No more understeer.
The car was unbeliveable! It was so fast I had to use 4th gear in all the turns that Boutsen was using 3rd it was easy to drive. A pleasure compared to the Theodore. I was already as quick as Boutsen before I came in for my new tires. Now I was excited!

Back out faster again my last three laps were identical 1.10.01, 1.10.01, 1.10.01. Remember these were race tires and in those days qualyfing tires were up to 2sec a lap faster. I was 4 sec a lap quicker than my Theodore. Joey Greenan was there timing me that day and he has been telling people for years that that I was actually faster than that . But as professional as Alexander was I would never have thought he would give me the wrong time. FACT, FILED.

As far as offering me a contract McLaren had a option on my services all year until I got the offer from Theodore. When I called Ron Dennis and asked him if could I get out of it to drive for Theodore, he said "no problem. We at McLaren would advise you to sign for one year only with Theodore".

So I went back to Julian Randles and told hom what Ron had said. His reply was "3 years or nothing" so I went back to Ron. Theodore said 3 years or nothing. His reply "our advice from McLaren is to sign for one year only". Do you at McLaren have any plans in the next 3 yrs for Tommy Byrne? His reply "NO''. It would not have mattered what time I had done that day. I was never to be a McLaren driver.

I would like to thank all of you guys for your support, but as you know Mark Hughes is writing my book and I cannot give too much away, but one of the reasons that I am writing the book is because of all the lies that have been told about me over the years. And the good thing about not racing anymore is that I do not have to lick ass anymore, and I have no problem telling the truth.

#70 2F-001

2F-001

• 2,275 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 03:25

Hello Tommy - and a very warm welcome to TNF!
Thank you for taking time to share some insights with us.

#71 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 07:47

Hi Tommy :wave:

I've edited your post a wee bit in order to get the quote appearing properly, and to add a couple of asterisks!

:up:

#72 angst

angst

• 7,135 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 09:24

Welcome Tommy, thanks for a fuller picture of that particular incdent. How nice of the McLaren people to offer you avice with so much planned for you :rolleyes:

For me you'll always be the fella who scared Senna off of F3 in '82 and a talent that F1 missed out on (and it was F1s loss, IMO). Look forward to the book, and to some more interventions on this board.

#73 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,086 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 09:48

Hi Tommy!

Great to have you here! :clap: I always felt bad about the Theodore Team and their often talented drivers: Lammers, Lees, you..

Hope you will still do some international racing in the future.

Look forward to your book.

Arjan

#74 pkenny

pkenny

• 198 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 12:41

Hi Tommy,

I am currently reading Jo Ramirez's book. I must say that as it goes on he is less and less likable (I think his views on Lauda in 1976 are rather cold or maybe that is just me). I eagerly await your book for the other side of the story.

Pat Kenny

#75 Jerome

Jerome

• 2,088 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 13:18

Hi Tommy

Thanx for your elaborate reply. I believe you one-hundred percent. It's just that I am (or was, actually, I am now a tenniscoach) a journalist, with a kind of resentment against stories that cycle around all the time and nobody bothers to check them. So I reacted perhaps a bit... well, sharp.

Anyways, we can say Myth Busted. Ron Dennis was not at the test, and the reasons you didn't get the drive was more complicated than just 'incopabilite des humeurs'. Or whatever the French call it...

#76 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 16:12

Yeah yeah Tommy, thats all very nice...but I still can't sleep at night you bastard! Visions of gas lamps and Van Deimens blowing by my head... :lol:

Hope you stay on TNF. Good to hear from you.

Mo.

#77 RSIG

RSIG

• 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 16:25

F1's loss was my gain. I first met TB back in 03 at Mid-Ohio. I was going to become a bad ass race car driver. Well he was one of my instructed that fateful day. After our first day TB invited me out for dinner with his gang. We ended up at a local bar called Goodfellas. It was getting late and the bar was closing. The owner came up to TB and told him to lock up when we were done. I think we left around 4 am. I got up the next day and headed to the track for day 2 of my very serious drivers school. This is after I tossed my bagel that I had for breakfast. I walked in the door and noticed that we were a few instructors short. Wonder why. Anyway I had to get back in the car and drive. As much as I love going fast I should have been at home in bed. I was a little slower that day to say the least. My instructor got in my car and started to tell me how I was screwing up. Yes folks that instructor was the famous TB. This started the first of our many heated arguments that we have had over a 2 year period. I told him that I could hardly keep the contents of my stomach down and that I wanted to go to the office and die. You would think he would have let me go but no I had to continue to drive that freaking car.

I ended up jumping into a SCCA T1 corvette as my first race car. TB was brought on as my driving coach for the season. Our first race was at Memphis that next April. This was my first time in my new Z06 prepped race car. I really had no clue as to what I was doing. All I know was I wanted to go out and not come in last place. I practiced and was the slowest car on the track. We took my video out and TB pointed out what I was doing wrong. We then went back out and picked up a bunch of time. The night we walked the track together and he pointed out a few more things. I think I qualified 5th out of 5 t1 cars. I got a real bad start and was passed by most of the field. No problem I had the great TB on the radio. He settled me down and I started to race. Well I ended up passing cars and really digging it. By the end of the race I was in first place. I also set a new SCCA T1 track record. I was on top of the world and owe it all to TB.

I have only known TB for a few years now. If I were to write a book about my life TB would probably have a few chapters dedicated to him.

#78 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,529 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 16:58

Welcome TB, let's hope you keep checking back. BTW, I could do with a few hints on driving my historic FFord !!

#79 scousepenguin

scousepenguin

• 228 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:38

Great to see you on here Tommy, and can't wait to buy the book!

Advertisement

#80 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 14:16

1982 German GP at Hockenheim...

Posted Image

#81 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,673 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 15:21

Tw, before or after the Eliseo/Piquet incident ??

#82 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 15:26

Hi Dan

Before, as he didn't qualify! There was some sort of row (with Ferrari?) about trying to get TB in after Pironi's accident, but I forget the details.

#83 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 2,673 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 16:27

I must say, TW & TB, he's/you've hardly changed at all in the 20 + years since I remember. Looking forward immensely to the book, lots of info on PRS, Firman, Murray Taylor, Anson, Jordan, Theodore, the States etc etc etc

#84 ensign14

ensign14

• 37,057 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 16:42

Originally posted by Twin Window
Hi Dan

Before, as he didn't qualify! There was some sort of row (with Ferrari?) about trying to get TB in after Pironi's accident, but I forget the details.

IIRC, the story given was that Ferrari did not withdraw Pironi so he remained on pole, so that Tambay could start on the "better" side as the cars did not all move forward a place. Whether it was a snub to a FOCA team I cannot possibly comment.

Marc Surer was let onto the back row by Lauda's accident and he went on to score a point...

#85 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 22:17

Nice one, Ens.

Good old Ferrari; sporting as always... Not. :rolleyes:

#86 Fiorentina 1

Fiorentina 1

• 292 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 05:45

Cool. I can't wait for this book. When is it due out? I know it will end up getting to the U.S 6-months afterwards, so I might just have to get it shipped from the UK.

Hey Tommy, ever consider racing in the 24-Hours of Nurburgring, probably the last pure race left on earth?

Peace, Alex :smoking:

#87 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 11:32

I am really interested to see the book!

Anyway, I have found some footage of Tommy Byrne spinning his F3000 car at the Halfords Hairpin at the first ever Birmingham Superprix in 1986. I have ripped it and I am not sure if I am allowed to post in here.

So I am hoping to see what Tommy can describe about the circuit and the race itself? :)

#88 MonzaDriver

MonzaDriver

• 336 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 14:43

Originally posted by Tommy Byrne

So I went back to Julian Randles and told hom what Ron had said. His reply was "3 years or nothing" so I went back to Ron. Theodore said 3 years or nothing. His reply "our advice from McLaren is to sign for one year only". Do you at McLaren have any plans in the next 3 yrs for Tommy Byrne? His reply "NO''. It would not have mattered what time I had done that day. I was never to be a McLaren driver.

I would like to thank all of you guys for your support, but as you know Mark Hughes is writing my book and I cannot give too much away, but one of the reasons that I am writing the book is because of all the lies that have been told about me over the years. And the good thing about not racing anymore is that I do not have to lick ass anymore, and I have no problem telling the truth.

It's a real pleasure read and learn from Tommy Byrne. Pure talent never taken into consideration from F1 establishment.
And if I am not wrong, the only reason it was that he has a personality. And he is not the son of a multimillionair.
Please Tommy write every truth you know in your book. At least it will be a great contribution
to the sport you love, and a lot of F1 managers will be described not so smart like they think they are.

In any case thank you so much for write for us.

MonzaDriver

#89 Thodore33

Thodore33

• 157 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 21:15

Originally posted by Twin Window
1982 German GP at Hockenheim...

Posted Image

:up: :clap: :up: :clap:

#90 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,588 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 22:44

Why did Tommy Byrne stick to a white, or mainly white, helmet?

#91 Tommy Byrne

Tommy Byrne

• 33 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 08:12

Originally posted by Fiorentina 1

Cool. I can't wait for this book. When is it due out? I know it will end up getting to the U.S 6-months afterwards, so I might just have to get it shipped from the UK.

Hey Tommy, ever consider racing in the 24-Hours of Nurburgring, probably the last pure race left on earth?

Peace, Alex :smoking:

I am not actively looking for a drive but i have always said i would drive again if i had a chance of winning and i get paid properly.

AAA but then you mentition the Nurburgring and i start to remember what a track. That is the reason to go racing - I loved the Nurburgring; my 1st pole in Europe was there, and I was on pole by 3sec at a 9mins 1.1 PRS. 1979 1st European win . The next year i had another win on the small track. Then again in 1981 in FF2000. The track makes you appreciate what we do and why we do it.

#92 Tommy Byrne

Tommy Byrne

• 33 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 08:26

Originally posted by Vicuna

Why did Tommy Byrne stick to a white, or mainly white, helmet?

At the time my mind set was all these drivers with there fancy helmets they should be worrying about winning than there fancy painted helmets, so i decided that it was not important and i thought i was a bad ass with my plane white helmet. Then in 1986 i was hanging out with Gary Anderson in America somewhere. He was working for Galles, And i don,t know how it came about but he ended up designing the helmet that i ended up with for the rest of my career. Now i know how important is is to have your helmet logo from day one. that is how the fans identify with there drivers

#93 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,588 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:30

Yeah - it's kind of like 'a drivers brand'.

Do you ever hear from my old mate Muray Taylor from out here these days?

#94 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,622 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 12:24

Great to have you on the Forum Tommy. Your lampost demolishing antics at the Phoenix Park are one of my most treasured motor racing memories (I was standing about 100 yards away at the time). Did the Board of Works send you a bill? :)

#95 Tommy Byrne

Tommy Byrne

• 33 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 17:44

Originally posted by Vicuna

Yeah - it's kind of like 'a drivers brand'.

Do you ever hear from my old mate Muray Taylor from out here these days?

As a matter of fact Murray got in touch with me about 3 weeks ago, he is travelling with the A1 series i think

#96 Tommy Byrne

Tommy Byrne

• 33 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 17:45

Originally posted by Eric McLoughlin

Great to have you on the Forum Tommy. Your lampost demolishing antics at the Phoenix Park are one of my most treasured motor racing memories (I was standing about 100 yards away at the time). Did the Board of Works send you a bill? :)

No, but i have heard of them sending bills to race drivers

#97 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 17:49

It is wonderful to see an established racing driver posting in this forum.

Sorry to bother you but I would be very interested to see your response to my question about the Birmingham Superprix which you raced in 1986? :blush:

#98 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 19:29

Puebla, 1994...

Posted Image

#99 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 632 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 22:09

As one of the organizing committee since 1977, the IMRC were billed by the OPW for all the damage , gas lamps , park benches , victorian railings , we never billed anyone , maybe I will start a thread to establish which driver did the most damage , I think the bill for onr lampost in 1980 was around £1100 pounds .

Advertisement

#100 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,622 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 22:24

I was kind of joking, but I'm not altogether surprised. I think the "Park" must have more street furniture than any other circuit in Europe (if not the world). At least by the time Mr Byrne knocked over the gas lamp standard the lights had been converted to work off electricity. Otherwise, I think it would have been mass evacuation time.