• 633 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 22:42

No , the is living history , the lamps still work on gas ,

Advertisement

#102 JSF

JSF

• 676 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 22:56

Just dont hit any of the Armco at the nurburgring, the bill is horendous these days!

#103 Jeffrey Scott

Jeffrey Scott

• 8 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 23:12

Hi Tommy, Stuart and Mark,

A big thanks for a great few days in Ireland, I can't wait for the next one!!!

If anybody is in any doubt, the book will be brilliant.
:clap:

Jeff

#104 Eric McLoughlin

Eric McLoughlin

• 1,622 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 23:22

I am really looking forward to it.

The only motoring mishap I ever experienced in the Phoenix Park was when I attempted a u-turn in my Fiat 127 and got stuck in a ditch. I was towed out by a passing tractor.

#105 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:11

Surely, Brian Lennox would have deserved the bill seeing as the offending lamp post ended up in his front garden... :lol:

#106 Tommy Byrne

Tommy Byrne

• 33 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 05:52

Originally posted by bigears
It is wonderful to see an established racing driver posting in this forum.

Sorry to bother you but I would be very interested to see your response to my question about the Birmingham Superprix which you raced in 1986? :blush:

I am not sure if you are messing with me or not with that member name bigears. Is there something you know that i do not know about the Birmingham Gp.?
As matter of fact that was the only race ever that i was shit scared before the race even started.
EJ recruited me from America and i had never driven a F3000 before and with so little time testing i ended up way back 14th or worse (at one stage in one of the sessions i was 2nd or 3rd then something happened and it all went to shit)
As anybody who was there that day knows it was raining cats and dogs. I have never seen anything like it, but i was not too worried as i knew that we could not race in those conditions, but i was wrong and i never started so far back in any race never mind the blinding rain. I was shitting myself and i had nothing to prove and i knew i was going to be injured, it was a given. There was no way we were going to get thru the 1st turn without a major crash
I tried getting out of it but i had to do it When the lite went green which i could not see from wher i was you could not see the steering wheel in front of you i had to listen to the car in front to know when to brake for the 1st turn when his engine died then i braked. It was a miracle that we all got thru that turn.
I spun off in the race and stalled the engine. What was the track like? i have no idea as i can not remember. It was no Monaco i would usually remember if there was something special about it
Maybe i was tramuatised by the start and forget all the good things about it. "Sorry''

#107 Tommy Byrne

Tommy Byrne

• 33 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 05:58

Originally posted by MoMurray
Surely, Brian Lennox would have deserved the bill seeing as the offending lamp post ended up in his front garden... :lol:

Mo the car that i nearly killed you in was a 1980 van diemen
and there are two more pics on this forum but two different cars one is when i drove for Brian Lennox it was a Hawke 1977. the other one was my PRS Bergen Sweets 1978 but i can only remember going off in my Van Diemen I must have blocked the rest out

#108 angst

angst

• 7,135 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 08:12

Tommy, did EJ ever look at offering you a way into F1? If only you'd been able to find a backer for Belgium in '91 then a) we could be asking you the question what did it feel like to be the first Irish driver to win a Grand Prix, and for an Irish team as well (bearing in mind that Schumacher broke the driveshaft 'trying something different' at the start and that de Cesaris came close to winning) : and b) we could have been saved from the insufferable followers of the chinn_ed one.

#109 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 08:19

Originally posted by Jeffrey Scott

Hi Tommy, Stuart and Mark,

Hi Jeff :wave:

:rotfl:

#110 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 633 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:10

A number of the lamposts were repaired , and ended up in the garden of an irish civil servant , who by 1980 had a motor racing connection through the marriage of his daughter , who could it be?

#111 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 17:44

Originally posted by Tommy Byrne
I am not sure if you are messing with me or not with that member name bigears. Is there something you know that i do not know about the Birmingham Gp.?
As matter of fact that was the only race ever that i was shit scared before the race even started.
EJ recruited me from America and i had never driven a F3000 before and with so little time testing i ended up way back 14th or worse (at one stage in one of the sessions i was 2nd or 3rd then something happened and it all went to shit)
As anybody who was there that day knows it was raining cats and dogs. I have never seen anything like it, but i was not too worried as i knew that we could not race in those conditions, but i was wrong and i never started so far back in any race never mind the blinding rain. I was shitting myself and i had nothing to prove and i knew i was going to be injured, it was a given. There was no way we were going to get thru the 1st turn without a major crash
I tried getting out of it but i had to do it When the lite went green which i could not see from wher i was you could not see the steering wheel in front of you i had to listen to the car in front to know when to brake for the 1st turn when his engine died then i braked. It was a miracle that we all got thru that turn.
I spun off in the race and stalled the engine. What was the track like? i have no idea as i can not remember. It was no Monaco i would usually remember if there was something special about it
Maybe i was tramuatised by the start and forget all the good things about it. "Sorry''

I assure you that I am not messing you around because I was only a kid when you raced in Birmingham! Also regarding about my member name, I have used the name as my name on the Internet since 2002. :)

How I found out that you raced at Birmingham, it is because of the Autosport article dated on 28th August 1986:

Posted Image

Here is a track map to jog your memory a bit:

Posted Image

Some drivers said at the time, the track was pretty difficult to take on because of the poor visibility, the bumps and the speeds achieved on the straights of the track. But then thank you for your informative post about describing the conditions during the race and how you felt throughout the time. :)

Enjoy your time in this forum!

#112 Jeffrey Scott

Jeffrey Scott

• 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 21:49

http://www.sussexsou...ark.ireland.jpg

Hi Stuart here's one for you

Jeff

#113 Jeffrey Scott

Jeffrey Scott

• 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 21:58

Originally posted by Twin Window
Hi Jeff :wave:
:rotfl:

Hi Stuart here's one for you, hopefully this time the picture shows!

Posted Image

#114 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 22:12

Nice pic, Jeff. (Well, apart from us blokes getting in the way of the scenery that is...)

I think I'm correct in saying that this was on the seafront in Dundalk, and at the time we were witnessing some extreme examples of, ahem... 'Sunday lunchtime random parking' action.

The hills in the left-side background [almost] mark the border between the north and south of the Emerald Isle, and are an area which TB had a fair few experiences back in the day...

A great part of the world.

#115 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 22:20

I am reminded why I moved to California...youz fellas look f**kin cold!

Mo.

#116 Jeffrey Scott

Jeffrey Scott

• 8 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 22:51

Originally posted by Twin Window
Nice pic, Jeff. (Well, apart from us blokes getting in the way of the scenery that is...)

I think I'm correct in saying that this was on the seafront in Dundalk, and at the time we were witnessing some extreme examples of, ahem... 'Sunday lunchtime random parking' action.

The hills in the left-side background [almost] mark the border between the north and south of the Emerald Isle, and are an area which TB had a fair few experiences back in the day...

A great part of the world.

Yes, well "Blackrock" a stones through away!

#117 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 23:09

That would make the mountain in the background Howth...which is on the Northside...where they say the best thing is...the view of the southside!! :lol:

#118 Tommy Byrne

Tommy Byrne

• 33 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 00:46

I assure you that I am not messing you around because I was only a kid when you raced in Birmingham! Also regarding about my member name, I have used the name as my name on the Internet since 2002. :)

I was only kidding about the ears Some people seem to think i have big ears Namely (big nose) CALVIN FISH
I still can not remember anything about the track. I thought i spun off and did not finish """ Nice Map though .

#119 Tommy Byrne

Tommy Byrne

• 33 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 00:51

That would make the mountain in the background Howth...which is on the Northside...where they say the best thing is...the view of the southside!! :lol:

Actually Mo i think they are the Mourne Mountains north of Blackrock Dundalk How long have you been in Cali
Tommy

Advertisement

#120 ceskow

ceskow

• 4 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 01:22

Hello Stuart! :wave: I'm glad Tommy pointed this thread out to me! I can follow along and keep up! I very much so enjoyed the years of my life that this thread reminds me of!

~Christy~

#121 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 01:23

Oh that Blackrock. I have been in Northern Cal. for three years. We are about 30 minutes from Laguna. Send me a PM or email with your contact info.

Mo.

#122 Jeffrey Scott

Jeffrey Scott

• 8 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 09:10

Originally posted by ceskow
Hello Stuart! :wave: I'm glad Tommy pointed this thread out to me! I can follow along and keep up! I very much so enjoyed the years of my life that this thread reminds me of!

~Christy~

Hi Christy,

Nice to hear from you, I hope everything is well with you and David.

Jeff

#123 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:51

~Christy~

Hey, Christy - what a nice surprise! :kiss:

As soon as I'm able, I'll get some memory-jogging pics up here for you!

:wave:

#124 ceskow

ceskow

• 4 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 15:34

Hey Jeff,
I hear all is well with you! I hope you make it back over to the States in the near future. (Or the possibility of David and I making to Ireland!) I would love to take and show him Blackrock and the other places I spent a decent amount of time in when I was younger!

Hey Stuart,
Tommy gave me a picture from the early 80's of he and I on a winner's podium. That started the memories. I spent more of my childhood around race tracks than in school I think! But I feel it was all well worth it! I met lots of people and traveled a lot more than most people have in their lifetime!

I will keep tabs on the thread and if I come across any interesting pieces that I or my Grandma Cain might have I will share!

#125 slucas

slucas

• 74 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 17:56

Sorry Tommy, I never noticed till you mentioned it... you do have big ears.

#126 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 18:36

How very droll... :rolleyes:

#127 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 633 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 16:40

Tommy ,
are you still fern farming in Florida.

#128 Fiorentina 1

Fiorentina 1

• 292 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 18:09

I like this thread, it's a good one, let's keep it going. I have a few questions to any expert out there including the man himself. I was a school boy in 1982, so my memory of F1 is limited to what I read read and remembered. It's quite good, but the political side and sponsorship stuff were non-existent to an 8 year-old.

Tommy did a few rounds in F1 for Theodore in 82, and if I remember correctly so did a loads of other drivers like Tambay, Lammers, Surer, Lees, etc. In 83 Theodore ran their last season in F1 with two cars; Guerrero and Cecotto. Both I assume brought sponsorship. Cecotto was rated after his F2 seasons. Was Tommy promised a seat in the 83 team? And, was the 83 Theodore a combined effort with Ensign or did Teddy Yip just buy the old Morris Nunn cars? Guerrero was with Ensign in 82, correct? And, the 83 Theodore looked more like the 82 Ensign then the 82 Theodore.

Was there any opportunity for Tommy in F1 outside of Theodore for 83? Was there any leads? You know something like Toleman, Ligier, ATS, Alfa Romeo, March, anything? And, what about going to F2 instead of back to F3?

I know Ligier had Jarier and Boesel, 1 fast Frenchman and 1 guy who is always good for some money. I know Tyrrell had race winner Alboreto and Danny Sullivan with Garvin Brown money. ATS had one car, but ran 2 the previous seasons. Toleman ran Giacomelli, was that because Candy wanted another Italian? March were only around a few rounds, correct? Looking back, it's hard to tell. But, maybe someone remembers the off season a little better then me.

#129 Jeffrey Scott

Jeffrey Scott

• 8 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 22:50

Hey Jeff,
I hear all is well with you! I hope you make it back over to the States in the near future. (Or the possibility of David and I making to Ireland!) I would love to take and show him Blackrock and the other places I spent a decent amount of time in when I was younger!

Hey Stuart,
Tommy gave me a picture from the early 80's of he and I on a winner's podium. That started the memories. I spent more of my childhood around race tracks than in school I think! But I feel it was all well worth it! I met lots of people and traveled a lot more than most people have in their lifetime!

I will keep tabs on the thread and if I come across any interesting pieces that I or my Grandma Cain might have I will share!

That would be cool, if your ever in England you guys are welcome to come and stay. As for the States I'm going to make sure I do come over sometime in 06.

Jeff

#130 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 00:11

I spent more of my childhood around race tracks than in school I think!

Christy; some pics I took in Miami, 1987 - including a couple featuring you! :wave:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And there's more where they came from...! :lol:

Posted Image

Posted Image

:up:

#131 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 01:26

Great photos! :clap:

#132 ceskow

ceskow

• 4 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 02:16

Stuart,
Those are great pictures! I wish I had a collection of my own from those years! There are some great one's around! I love seeing them! David had never seen them before and got a real big kick out of it!

#133 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,670 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 13:48

Tommy in his F3 days, rounding Mallory's hairpin

Posted Image

#134 Tommy Byrne

Tommy Byrne

• 33 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 23:17

Originally posted by EDWARD FITZGERALD
Tommy ,
are you still fern farming in Florida.

No i am mostly at Mid Ohio instructing (i do about 100 days a yr there). Then i have my Company which is Crash or Byrne driver development which is teaching, set up, and testing

Thanks Edward

#135 Tommy Byrne

Tommy Byrne

• 33 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 03:11

Originally posted by Fiorentina 1

I like this thread, it's a good one, let's keep it going. I have a few questions to any expert out there including the man himself. I was a school boy in 1982, so my memory of F1 is limited to what I read read and remembered. It's quite good, but the political side and sponsorship stuff were non-existent to an 8 year-old.

Tommy did a few rounds in F1 for Theodore in 82, and if I remember correctly so did a loads of other drivers like Tambay, Lammers, Surer, Lees, etc. In 83 Theodore ran their last season in F1 with two cars; Guerrero and Cecotto. Both I assume brought sponsorship. Cecotto was rated after his F2 seasons. Was Tommy promised a seat in the 83 team? And, was the 83 Theodore a combined effort with Ensign or did Teddy Yip just buy the old Morris Nunn cars?

Theodore merged with Ensign for 1983 it was the Ensign chassis they used which turned out to be a great car A huge leap forward for Morris Nunn. One of my regrets is that Morris Nunn was not with theodore when i got my chance He is one of the best engineers in the buisness and he knows talent.
I can not say to much about my Theodore time as it was a very important part of my career (as is the end )and there is so much more that happened at that time. i have to save that for the book,
I am sorry.

#136 JetBoomF1

JetBoomF1

• 36 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 03:42

Posted Image

Twinny...and other interested parties. I have just figured out how to use Imageshack (having recently crawled out of a cave) and I thought you might like this picture. I know you are a Tommy Byrne fan and here is a nice picture of Tommy and me having a chit chat. He is the one in the car!

It was in the Pheonix Park, Dublin in (i think) 1980. I was stationed at my post which was about where the blue flag is laying...under the car...when the Tommy got hit from behind approaching Mountjoy corner on the second lap. I remenber considering for a moment that if I ducked down behind the Gas Lamp Post I would be safe. My insticts knew better and had me running even before the debate in my mind had concluded.

I thought you might enjoy this...

Mo.

:rotfl: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :rotfl:

BRILLIANT PHOTO!!

#137 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 04:38

It definitely called for the use of new trousers afterwards...;)

Mo

#138 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 633 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 08:50

now jetboom , I may know , did you head off stateside and become a CART race official ?

#139 Fiorentina 1

Fiorentina 1

• 292 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 17:06

Originally posted by Tommy Byrne
I can not say to much about my Theodore time as it was a very important part of my career (as is the end )and there is so much more that happened at that time. i have to save that for the book,
I am sorry.

Fair enough. but, please make sure your book will be available in the States. Maybe have an on-line store on your web-site.

Advertisement

#140 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 19:44

Birmingham Superprix, 1986...

Posted Image

Not a race shot!

#141 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,879 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 21:13

I haven't been following this thread... which has given me the chance to read it all fresh today...

Welcome Tommy. I hope this is opening up yet another aspect of the world to you... an opportunity to discuss the good times with friends from all over the world.

#142 bigears

bigears

• 872 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 22:27

Thank you very much for the BSP photo Stuart! :up:

#143 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 00:30

Originally posted by angst

Tommy, did EJ ever look at offering you a way into F1?

Your question seems to have been overlooked, but I can give you my answer...

During the winter of 1990/91 I was on the phone to Eejay, and took the opportunity to enquire about getting TB in the car. Eddie replied - in his hushed manner normally reserved for when he was *trading* - that I could get him a limited testing deal for just one million GBP!

But, hey; there was a possibility of some [tiny] space on the rear wing endplates included for that!

Thank you very much for the BSP photo Stuart! :up:

Thought you'd like it!  ;)

#144 Fiorentina 1

Fiorentina 1

• 292 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 01:04

That F3000 car looks a lot like an ARS car (Indy Lights). They were both March's, right? And, was the Indy Lights car based on the F3000 car?

#145 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:52

As far as I'm aware, the original ARS chassis was based on the 1985 March F3000 design - although was officially branded a Wildcat - and powered by an atmo Buick V6.

#146 James Lustman

James Lustman

• 9 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 21:16

I had the privilege of some instruction from Tommy a few years ago here in Colorado. He was here with two other Mid Ohio Drivers. He was a great instructor, not to mention fast in the cars. We were all amazed at how fast he learned the track :smoking: . Can't wait for the book and thanks for spending some time with us out here.

#147 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,609 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 22:48

Welcome, James! :wave:

TB at work in Cleveland, 1987...

Posted Image

#148 Tommy Byrne

Tommy Byrne

• 33 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:10

Originally posted by James Lustman

I had the privilege of some instruction from Tommy a few years ago here in Colorado. He was here with two other Mid Ohio Drivers. He was a great instructor, not to mention fast in the cars. We were all amazed at how fast he learned the track :smoking: . Can't wait for the book and thanks for spending some time with us out here.

Hi James
Good to hear from you. I just had drinks with one of those other instructors Paul Dallenbach. He and Wally are here in Daytona for the 24hr test Actually it was like old times with Calvin Fish, Paul, Wally (who was my teamate when we drove for that wacko Marshal Robbins),
Brian Till and my old friend Dave Meehan (we used to live together in East Harling when he was Sennas mechanic in 1980 and now works for Cheever who is running 2 cars at the Daytona 24hr) and i can not forget Mark Wieda who used to run most of my rivals in ARS when i drove but i spent more after hrs at his trailer than his own drivers, but they had nothing in common with Mark as they did not drink . It was good meeting everybody again . James say hello to Claudia when you see her .
Happy new yr to everybody

#149 EDWARD FITZGERALD

EDWARD FITZGERALD

• 633 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 07:35

I met Marty Mc Carty the other day , and mentioned this thread , he remembers it very well , he plans to log in , and join in the fun .

#150 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,085 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 08:27

Twinny, 1million sterling in 1991 ? :eek: I remember Nakano paid 750,000ish for a few runs in 1998. A mil pound these days would get you an okayish test deal. Nothing major, but in the early 90s thats ridiculous. How often would a team like Jordan even test back then?

By comparison, do you know what the going rate for say Fords, F3, and F3000 was the same year? Ive always wanted to sit down with a historian and an economist and chart racing cost vs inflation. I reckon we're getting screwed.