Photo

Richard Stallebras(s)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 VDP

VDP

• 666 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 10:06

I have jwith a private ust read about him, he entered with a private Aston Martin with Jack Fairman as co-driver in the 24 hours of spa in 1948. The race was run in the wet on the first lap he got out of the track and died.
Any more infos about him ??

Robert

Advertisement

#2 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 20:08

Richard Stallebras(s) was a young driver who was sharing an Aston Martin 2.0 with Jack Fairman. The Spa 24 hours was Richard's first ever race and he took over the wheel of the Aston after Fairman had done the first two hours. It was pouring with rain and the young driver was noticeably agitated whilst waiting for his turn. No doubt he was told to take it easy but on his first lap he slid off the road at Malmedy, cartwheeled over a bank and was badly injured. He was taken to a local hospital where he died.

Even though they bred them tough in those days it does seem to be a little foolhardy to have allowed such an inexperienced driver to race, for the first time ever, on such a daunting circuit like the full Spa-Francorchamps in such dreadful conditions. Following practice they must have felt he was up to it.

John

#3 Hugo Boecker

Hugo Boecker

• 702 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 21:56

Wasn't he involved in reorganaising the Aston Martin Owners Club after the war ?

#4 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 10:31

Isn't this the same name as the lead singer from the popular beat combo "Right said Fred " ?

#5 VDP

VDP

• 666 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 10:33

RTH

I don't know ?

Hugo

He seems to be chairman of the club on 5 th march 1948

Robert

#6 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 10:40

Originally posted by RTH
Isn't this the same name as the lead singer from the popular beat combo "Right said Fred " ?

That was my first thought as well!

But then I remembered that it was Richard Fair brass – see http://www.weht.net/..._Said_Fred.html - so I didn’t post it…. ;)

#7 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 10:55

Oh dear how right you are .