* * * - - 3 votes

New engine

• Please log in to reply
1377 replies to this topic

#201 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 779 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:09

He may even have begun a recreation of the Napier Nomad.

:eek: :eek:

I wonder how literally he is proposing to recreate this engine, or he is using the concept of extracting all energy from the combustion process, ie radically improve the efficiency of the engine...

IIRC, the Nomad never got off the testbed in either of its forms, apart from anything else it was overtaken by the emergence of the jet, and the propellor turbine. And there was lots of 'anything else' too :rolleyes: , as I understand it.

I was fascinated by the concept of that engine when I first read about it. Napiers tended to complication, or a willingness to accept complication and endevour to engineer their way around the problems. And sometimes they were either out of their depth, or seemingly too reluctant to look outside for the solutions. OTOH, there was the Wright Turbo-Compound ...

Maybe modern engineering and materials science can make the concept work now - I will follow this with some interest.

Advertisement

#202 TDIMeister

TDIMeister

• 235 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 21:06

This is not really a *new* engine, per sé, and I'm sure the name David Vizard elicits polar opposite opinions, but...
http://www.gofastnew...er-concept.html

Discuss!

#203 TDIMeister

TDIMeister

• 235 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 08:45

By the way, I'm calling on the resident engine experts here to post their two-cents and go head-to-head with David Vizard himself. :)

http://www.gofastnew...nical-articles/

#204 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:10

I'm in my mid 40's now and can say I have done a shitload in and around motorsports and car mods including a reasonable history in bikes too with some success to match.

But I dont even scratch the surface of how much Vizard pertains to have done and how many books can one write and actually do the work?

You can either write the books or do the work, there aint enough time in one life to do both.

By the way, I'm not saying he doesnt know shit.

#205 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 13:11

http://www.rexresear...rb/quturbin.htm

Another pump/rotary engine 'wanztabe'.

However if you click on 'home' there's truckloads of all interesting sorts including this one on hydrogen 'on demand'.

http://www.rexresear...eco/pacheco.htm

#206 TDIMeister

TDIMeister

• 235 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 13:27

Same surface-to-volume problem as a Wankel, and sealing of the articulated joints would be a b!tch.

But I do like the Wankel, and I like this design, too. :)

#207 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 14:06

As I said, another 'wantztabe'.

I have been at that site for the last hour, really interesting and all the inventions have a great range of illustrations/drawings for stupid people like me.

#208 Canuck

Canuck

• 1,656 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 15:05

Originally posted by cheapracer
You can either write the books or do the work, there aint enough time in one life to do both.

I started writing this long-winded and verbose reply but decided at the end of the day it was sufficient for me to say that I am extremely glad that folks like Vizard put their knowledge down in books, magazines and internet forums. I am much better off for it.

#209 Moon Tricky

Moon Tricky

• 318 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 16:31

Originally posted by TDIMeister
Same surface-to-volume problem as a Wankel, and sealing of the articulated joints would be a b!tch.

But I do like the Wankel, and I like this design, too. :)

The Wankel at least works! That Quasiturbine thing is just plain crazy.

Speaking of "turbines" though, I was thinking the other day that a small gas turbine might be the ideal powerplant for a hybrid. Turns out GM produced a hybrid version of the EV-1 with exactly that idea. I guess they're still too expensive though.

#210 malbear

malbear

• 243 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 18:54

Vizard certainly is a great read and I find it all encouraging for the work that I am doing to see words like gas flow, twirl ,combustion chamber shape,expansion ratio,mass fraction burn,crevis volume etc etc
Malbeare

#211 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:11

Originally posted by Canuck

I am much better off for it.

Your not if you get 3rd hand information that plain isnt the way to go and he has some history of it.

I prefer the writings of men who have done it and proven it beyond others such as Smokey or Grumpy (engines), even F1 learnt from these men and its a shame some of the secrets of others wont be known because they really are too busy doing it to give their experience to print.

#212 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:29

Originally posted by malbear
Vizard certainly is a great read and I find it all encouraging for the work that I am doing to see words like gas flow, twirl ,combustion chamber shape,expansion ratio,mass fraction burn,crevis volume etc etc
Malbeare

Then I would suggest you read Smokey Yunick and Grumpy Jenkins and any Yamaha works from the early 70's about 2 strokes.

#213 Canuck

Canuck

• 1,656 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:59

Your not if you get 3rd hand information that plain isnt the way to go.

No argument - nobody wants incorrect information be it 1st or 5th hand. My desk, night table, coffee table and bookshelf are jammed with magazine articles, SAE papers and stacks of books by anyone I can find. Most authors I pick up based on recommendations from others - Stefan Dunnert of Opcon recommended Corky Bell's "Supercharged" book, Bob Behn of RB-Racing suggested Taylor's 2-volume work (and Smokey's), my apprenticeship instructor required A. Graham Bell's 2-stroke and 4-stroke volumes and so on. I believe it may have been McGuire that pointed me to some of Vizard's work in reference to a really nice camshaft article from a circle track magazine (maybe not). I'll read anything I can get my hands on if it interests me in any fashion. As I write I have about half a dozen books on the go - Wright's F1 Technology , Hoag's Vehicular Engine Design , Prechter's Conquer the Crash , Soros' Alchemy of Finance , Mandelbrot's The (Mis)Behaviour of Markets , and The Book of Tells (the name of the author escapes me at the moment). In addition to that I have a study by Samsung on optimization and their chip manufacturing processes and an interesting paper on intake bell shapes from Blair and Cahoon. I don't have any idea who Hoag is, nor who the Tells author is but I read the work as open-minded as Wright's and Mandelbrot's.

#214 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:18

No argument - nobody wants incorrect information be it 1st or 5th hand. My desk, night table, coffee table and bookshelf are jammed with magazine articles, SAE papers and stacks of books by anyone I can find. Most authors I pick up based on recommendations from others - Stefan Dunnert of Opcon recommended Corky Bell's "Supercharged" book, Bob Behn of RB-Racing suggested Taylor's 2-volume work (and Smokey's), my apprenticeship instructor required A. Graham Bell's 2-stroke and 4-stroke volumes and so on. I believe it may have been McGuire that pointed me to some of Vizard's work in reference to a really nice camshaft article from a circle track magazine (maybe not). I'll read anything I can get my hands on if it interests me in any fashion. As I write I have about half a dozen books on the go - Wright's F1 Technology , Hoag's Vehicular Engine Design , Prechter's Conquer the Crash , Soros' Alchemy of Finance , Mandelbrot's The (Mis)Behaviour of Markets , and The Book of Tells (the name of the author escapes me at the moment). In addition to that I have a study by Samsung on optimization and their chip manufacturing processes and an interesting paper on intake bell shapes from Blair and Cahoon. I don't have any idea who Hoag is, nor who the Tells author is but I read the work as open-minded as Wright's and Mandelbrot's.

Thats a lot of books, I just aint that smart!

When I was a teen I read eveything I could at night and worked thru the day, these days I just work the day and the night.

I did manage to get thru an 'Archies Digest' last month though, truth!

#215 AdamLarnachJr

AdamLarnachJr

• 525 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 14:35

This kind of brings up a point about knowledge and its accessibility. Do you think that the lesser known information should all be freely available, both for those who wish to attain it and those who practice it? Or should this level of knowledge be reserved for the latter? If you really needed it you would pursue all avenues to get it, but what about benefiting all with its availability?

Case in point, the centerlock hub thread I started. There was some good information inthere, and it strayed a bit off topic, but none of my question were really answered until I saw first hand the systems and methods being used. Even then, the specifics of construction are still unanswered.

Anyway, just a thought, I've always been torn between the fact that in higher levels of racing, certain information is kept secretive for the purpose of job security and competitive advantage at the cost of general knowledge (that being the "pool" we all draw from).

#216 Canuck

Canuck

• 1,656 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 17:05

Thats a lot of books, I just aint that smart!

Easy now, nobody's ever accused me of being smart - I just said I was reading.

As to the freedom of information...
I'm torn. Obviously I want to know - I have tremendous thirst for knowledge and understanding but I am of the belief that even if everything I wanted to know was freely available to me (and I knew where to find it), I'd never digest it all. On the flip side, when I was in the motorcycle business, I didn't volunteer knowledge that I felt separated me from the rest of the crowd. I shared everything within my facility, but we kept some things in-house.

There's ego involved too. I'd like to think I always succeed on my own merits, not by intentionally holding someone else back. 'Course nothing I know has millions of dollars riding on it remaining secret as long as possible either.

#217 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:22

As to the freedom of information...

3 years in China has taught me...

Asian culture is very secretive, whereas Western culture shares. I firmly believe this is why Western culture continues to develop and Asians stagnate. They study hard here at a level you cant imagine which makes them smart but tunnel visioned, one reason why Asians dont invent anything but can develop somebody elses idea.

Also what you see in movies is true about the respect for older people and is terrible for development, if a young man has an idea he dare not tell an older worker/supervisor/boss etc. because this is seen as disrespect and a loss of face for the older man, no shit. I took one my workers who I trained to weld to Western Standards (MIG) to the electric car co. because their welding is shit 'Chinese Standard Birdshit' and he was too scared to show them because 2 of the welders were about 20years older than he was.

We encourage our young people to show us up and do better if they dare.

#218 Feliks

Feliks

• 639 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:06

Originally posted by Feliks
Block stepper engine:
Ship, press, train. :smoking:

one cake -car , hybrid F1 ?? :rolleyes:

50 pc about 2500 Ibs ~~ 1250 KG in 10 cm radius : give about 125 KGm torque each.
Posted Image

Along rock or McPherson. :smoking:

Without diferential , drive axle and obviously gearbox with clutch.
Diesel alternator and 4x4 without diflock.
Posted Image

Andrew :wave:

#219 Feliks

Feliks

• 639 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 17:47

Posted Image

You do not know accidentally where disappear two small valve pistons ??? :):)

Regards Andrew :smoking:

Advertisement

#220 xrepe

xrepe

• 86 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 19:24

Servus!

Did somebody ever heard about Maya-Engine?

Some austrian scientists found in s. america in early 70' one drawing witch looked like an engine.

Here is google translation of this site:;)
http://members.aon.a...al/mayasite.htm

You can also see how that looks like...

What do you think about that?

The engine from the Mayschrift:

The gods had thanked's: Numerous ancient writings of the Old and New World were in our

Century, too. From some records can be a long-Forget

Technology unit places read out. Under the so-called code of Dresdner Maya are characters

Contain and drawings, in which we (even if no longer seems to understand everything,

This was shown to be) several times a Signum find that a double rectangle

Compensates with two intersecting diagonal. Maya Various researchers have tried this

Characters to interpret. Always is its presentation (especially in the old-Troano Manu -

Kript the Maya) is connected with acts that are linked to a technically verifiable process

Recalls. We therefore interpreted the Mayan characters with the modern concepts of "energy donor,"

"Driving force" or "engine"

Two Tirolern succeeded in 1973, the solution to the puzzle may be coming closer. The Atom

Dr. Frederick physicists Egger, and the journalist Klaus Keplinger developed on the drawing board

A reconstruction of this Mayaglyphe. What he produced was a totally unusual

Model. The two "inventor" summarily called their development "Maya engine."

The extraordinary apparatus operates on the principle of a penetration between two

Inclined rotational levels. The individual parts invariably revolve around a common -

Focus - and the engine (a term which Egger and Keplinger prefer) can be used

As a combustion engine, but also with the help of compressed air or steam function in the market.

The Mayan engine running largely vibration and has even critical audits by experts

Large industrial companies, such as the Tyrolean company Swarovski Optik KG, resisted. The calculation

Tions of experts have shown that the Egger and Keplinger developed engine at

A size of 40 cubic centimetres and an operating pressure of 10 atmospheres (about what

The proof Druckkochtopfes equals one) is already at 500 revolutions per minute, a performance

Tion of over 480 hp provenance. A conventional engine of similar size creates even in 5000 (!)

Revolutions per minute, not more than 200 horsepower.

For Egger and Keplinger is in any case: The ancient Maya had Troano manuscript quite

Apparently a heat engine recorded and may not even on the control valve forgotten.

Meanwhile, the invention and / or reconstruction of the two Tyrolean in more than twenty countries

Patented. Unfortunately Keplinger had Egger and also the flip side of the coin note

. From one of them hoped for mass production of their Mayan Motors could not speak.

There were apparently some multinationals and lobbies their fingers in the game. It banished the economically

Revolutionary development in the motor industry in those "safe", in which some long

Other groundbreaking inventions waiting for better times.

The Mayan engine of the two researchers would have actually had to, to make a big splash. It would

The tremendous performance of these prehistoric machine as a driving force for our luftver -

Pestenden vehicles a positive alternative. With a combustion outside the

Cylinder would be much less harmful fumes emerged, but would be a good use

Of the energy garntiert. And also would the Maya engine instead of gasoline or

Diesel fuels also other cope. Energy sources, as today in the aerospace industry -

Already used, this would be of benefit.

Zwangsläufgig course raises the question whether the Maya these technical skills to develop self -

Handle or could merely inherited. Dr. Fiedrich Egger and Dr. Klaus Keplinger, the re -

Konstrukteure the Mayan engine, so convinced that the technical content of the Dar -

Troano positions in the manuscript traditional messages of previous civilizations is based.;)

#221 Feliks

Feliks

• 639 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 23:50

New mutation oscillating dynamo:Posted Image

Best professional simulations wave: www.ansys .com

example simulations wave:
http://www.ansys.com...a_boat_wall.htm
http://www.ansys.com...a_floatover.htm

Regards Andrew :smoking: :smoking:

#222 Feliks

Feliks

• 639 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 23:23

Little HorsePowerMeter

Tongues in engines manner of measurement of amount of mechanical horse.
Each engine owns invariable parameters about definite , like :
Sum of inertia mass, sum inertia springs, chains ,valves,etc.

Each model of engine has this parameters exactly SAME !!

And if for example, we want it without load for 4000 RPM ,at same time , we need exactly SAME horsepower.
It is principle my idea: Horse Power Meter.

Manner of measurement Horse Power:
Car is stop !!
We have running engine in idle RPM.
We need only same impulse classic RPM meter
Next we push and press i electronic meter switch "measurement"
Next we must push throttle in FULL .
Engine go to eg 5000 RPM.
Electronic measurement TIME with special SOFT , how long engine going measurement period 3000 rpm to 4000 rpm . This TIME are equivalent horsepower of engine.
Little power -long time , normal power - short time
Idea in diagram:
Posted Image

Next diagram electronic of Horsepower Meter, can made little 8 -bit processor eg. AT2050. Small individual Soft for each model of engine:

Posted Image

Happy Easter

#223 Feliks

Feliks

• 639 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 18:11

It is sure true.
See in http://www.epi-eng.c..._and_torque.htm

Quote my link:
"POWER
POWER is the measure of how much WORK can be done in a specified TIME. ......."

At same WORK,
need gauge TIME....

I am only inventor, maybe anybody made it..... :smoking:

Regards Andrew :wave:

#224 scooperman

scooperman

• 81 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 13:31

Certain data loggers like the Race Technology DL90 are able to do a "dyno" calculation.

#225 Feliks

Feliks

• 639 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 16:22

Originally posted by scooperman
Certain data loggers like the Race Technology DL90 are able to do a "dyno" calculation.

I thing , Yes you right :clap:

Only specific coefficient for gauged engine , and HP read. :)

#226 Feliks

Feliks

• 639 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:50

On one of aerial forum, describing my horse power meter, it re-wrapped in discussion for transmit force for transmission in helicopters theme limitation , very often.
I read this forum and , I has been orientated , that transmission is critical element in helicopter most
Sometimes. at creation of new invention, inspiration takes place at I safety of user most important
There is so and this time.
Understand how as critical thing beginning, try to omit she completely.
My constructions for carrying half- rotary engine directly try to joint impeller of helicopter, with out any transmission. In order to get low turns properly, I must use engine about outsized jumping capacity, and low rpm. My half -rotate engine, is accuracy, and size are reasonable.
Second ,safety important , are diesel fuel in this low rpm engine. Summary I increase safety twice.
It try to make similar to main parameters " " Chinook”.
Posted Image

Principle of operation half-rotate engine
Posted Image

Air cooling " piston"
Posted Image

And neither one cogged circle :D :D

For it, that their is passion force and speed engine ,contained about such dimension behind back of drivers well , so, it is possible to use for for race. For example, call such race FORMULA 0,5 Grand Prix :rolleyes:

#227 Feliks

Feliks

• 639 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 22:35

By the way , which I am curious be have voice such helicopter?? Really similar to average ship? .... :lol:

I find same gear box at propeller C-130 Hercules airplane.
With torque sensor.
My work:

Posted Image

And again neither one cogged circle :D:D

Andrew :smoking:

#228 Feliks

Feliks

• 639 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:07

Possible mutations water cooled half rotary:
Without that leaks in driving and from deducing of water half rotate "piston" . Elastic hose only several degrees twisted.

Posted Image

#229 Feliks

Feliks

• 639 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 00:02

With "cylinder" and popped...

Posted Image

#230 Feliks

Feliks

• 639 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 14:27

Mutations "Long Cylinder" and 8 valve in one "cylinder"

Posted Image

Vwork ~~= 0,5 V , V=Scircle x long

#231 Feliks

Feliks

• 639 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:12

Originally posted by Powersteer
Feliks, instead of totally designing a radical new engine why not try do a new con-rod or valve system or variable something before trying a whole new engine to start.

:cool:

Yes ,of course:

Named: Twin Feliks :rolleyes: :)

Posted Image

Best Regards Andrew :wave:

#232 Feliks

Feliks

• 639 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 22:37

Mutations "Long Cylinder" and 8 piston valve in one "cylinder"

Posted Image

Please help: what right name of area "cylinder" ?? ):

Regars Andrew :smoking:

#233 phantom II

phantom II

• 1,784 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 23:21

Never seen a guy with his own thread before.

[i]Originally posted by Feliks Regards Andrew :smoking:

#234 Bill Sherwood

Bill Sherwood

• 444 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:51

Originally posted by phantom II
Never seen a guy with his own thread before.

It's not so much of a thread, as more of a rope.
:)

#235 Feliks

Feliks

• 639 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 23:38

Originally posted by Bill Sherwood

It's not so much of a thread, as more of a rope.
:)

I will betray secrets :Rope is made from nanotube , and thread is stringed by EACH with Kevlar :D :D

#236 Powersteer

Powersteer

• 2,460 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 11:30

Still, a brilliant thread either way.

:cool:

#237 GeorgeTheCar

GeorgeTheCar

• 376 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 13:37

Give it up

Iin a decade it will all be electric wheel motors

#238 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 4,513 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 22:54

Only if you build lots of nukes.

#239 phantom II

phantom II

• 1,784 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 00:40

A big big engine but not the biggest.

http://gcaptain.com:...r-super-engine/

“The Declaration of Independence... [is the] declaratory charter of our rights, and the rights of man.” —Thomas Jefferson
Our 232nd Independence Day Celebration tomorrow.

The Necessary Holiday Have a good one.

Advertisement

#240 Feliks

Feliks

• 639 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 02:42

Originally posted by phantom II
A big big engine but not the biggest.

http://gcaptain.com:...r-super-engine/

“The Declaration of Independence... [is the] declaratory charter of our rights, and the rights of man.” —Thomas Jefferson
Our 232nd Independence Day Celebration tomorrow.

The Necessary Holiday Have a good one.

Biggest too celebrate 232 Independence: Largest in the World project engine .

This name: MULTIBOXER - its radial engine in horizontal possition.
Tis is first cross head radial engine.
If made please using components Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C piston, cross head ,rod:

Engine 14 cylinders have 108,920 hp at 102 rpm .
My project engine have 45 cylinders end power ~~ 350. 000 hp
Tis is better ,so nuclear reactor in aircraft carrier ship.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Too complet,but why this crakshaft are very long??
Eg. Radial engine not using in Navy?
http://www.pilotfrie...aero_radial.htm

Engine radial in horizontal position may by??

Name this engine : Multiboxer

Regards Andrew :)

Andrew :smoking: :smoking: :wave:232nd Independence Day

#241 robroy

robroy

• 197 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 23:30

An early stage investment opportunity is going begging.....

http://www.idr-technology.com/

#242 Feliks

Feliks

• 639 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 13:15

Last time I do not like something very cogged transmissions too. :D

My horizontal engine need angle transmission.
Its my project crossheads 90 deg angle transmission:
Posted Image

Ma by twin crossheads angle replace old "differential" ?? :smoking:

#243 Feliks

Feliks

• 639 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 22:30

New differential:
Posted Image

I don't like noise of differential too... :smoking:

#244 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:35

Originally posted by robroy
An early stage investment opportunity is going begging.....

http://www.idr-technology.com/

Umm where's the expanding area to induce an intake charge?

And how does this Guy think he's going to slide a hot side seal over that big hole? (exhaust port).

I got to practice at 3Dsmax, I got some great ideas, all I need is an animation to sucker, err interest investors.

#245 Feliks

Feliks

• 639 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:39

The Mathematical crossing short-circuit,
results of new easy differential :

Posted Image

...and add few viscous couplings :smoking:

Andrew Posted Image

#246 Feliks

Feliks

• 639 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:17

Next short-circuit:

Posted Image

Andrew :smoking: :smoking:

#247 Feliks

Feliks

• 639 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 07:22

And precise differential:

Posted Image

#248 Feliks

Feliks

• 639 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:33

For tees gear too...
It is excellent idea for my engine with piston valve.Are possible change compression ratio, simile Commer engine, or Biceri piston .Hand change compression ratio too are possible.It is very strong version.

Regards Andrew

For hi power system my version this good idea:
Posted Image

Better is good enemy !!

Posted Image

Andrew :smoking: :smoking:

#249 Feliks

Feliks

• 639 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:40

Different new sites in animation Solid Works of new differential.
http://www.new4stroke.com/differ.wmv

#250 Feliks

Feliks

• 639 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 00:35

Next about 550 MW power engine project:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

550 MW