Photo

Maurice Trintignant - did he ever fire up

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 sandy

sandy

• 1,091 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 08:25

After being enlightened about Jean Behra in this forum may I ask as to what his fellow countryman Maurice Trintignant was all about? He comes across as being meticulous, steady, measured, consistent, precise, repetitive and thus colorless and a little cautious and even cold.

Was there ever a race in which he tigered, throwing caution to the winds and drove out of character, faster than his usual level?

How did his lap times compare to Gonzalez, Le Mans 54? Was this an instance?

(And how did he get on with Behra?).

Advertisement

#2 angst

angst

• 7,135 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 10:05

Unfortunately I can't help with your request on this, but seeing the thread made me think that he's a driver almost 'forgotten' even by those interested in the sport's history. He must have on eof the longest careers on record, having raced from at least '39 through to '65(? - I'm not checking my sources here). He won the Monaco GP twice, and always seems to have been there or thereabouts in the mid fifties - and like Behra he was another who made his name in Gordinis. Are there any good books that would cover more about him, and Robert Manzon for that matter - another who seems a little elusive. It seems that up until the mid to late sixties being a French race driver was a pretty thankless task. Why would that be?

#3 Pablo Vignone

Pablo Vignone

• 309 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 13:05

In Le Mans '54, Gonzalez drove 17 of the 24 hours. He was clearly faster.

#4 WINO

WINO

• 622 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 13:06

One of the races that comes to mind is the U.S. Grand Prix at Sebring in 1959, where Trintignant finished second and recorded the fastest lap in a Rob Walker Cooper/Climax. Had the race been a little longer he would probably have overtaken winner Bruce McLaren's works Cooper/Climax.

WINO

#5 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 18:55

Just a thought; maybe the fact that MT was always cool and controlled is a large proportion of the reason why he is still around while many of his peers have long since departed.

As I said, just a thought.....

#6 Mac Lark

Mac Lark

• 744 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 19:45

And he's a member of a very exclusive club

Stirling and Phil are the only other members.

And they're all still with us...

#7 oldtimer

oldtimer

• 1,291 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 19:46

I seem to remember DSJ commenting on Trintignant's precision and ability to take advantage, and avoid disadvantages, of natural features and hazards of the old street circuits. In other words, a thoughtful driver rather than especially fast or spectacular.

#8 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 20:13

From my reading of events, he was quite a fiery driver in his early days (Bugatti, Gordini, and first year at Ferrari).
Maybe after that he saw he could have a nice life without risking too much.
But he could still battle with the best of them when he wanted to, eg at Pau

#9 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 20:57

Trintignant began racing under the shadow of his older brother's death in the Picardie GP at Peronne, and that was a powerful demonstration against impetuosity which he always remembered. As he began to try harder he learned another lesson when he suffered a pretty severe shunt of his own in a Gordini at the Bremgarten as far as I recall. He was a relentlessly quick - as opposed to 'very fast' - driver who demonstrated an extremely commendable level of mechanical sympathy, and shrewdness. If he thought a race was there for the winning he was perfectly capable of putting in quick laps...but if the choice lay between a money-earning place and a bid for glory producing mere retirement for no reward then he would demonstrably settle for the earner...

DCN

#10 scags

scags

• 405 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 21:32

anyone with a nickname of "rat ****" has my admiration.

#11 Mac Lark

Mac Lark

• 744 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 22:26

Anyone who became a father in his 70s has mine

#12 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 00:59

Does someone know how he is doing?
Last year, I had heard he wasn't in good health but I was suprised to hear him on the speakers at LM Classic this year with Phil Hill and he sounded well.
He's one of my favorite drivers with Behra, Manzon and the other ones because of Gordini but I'm a bit biased ;)

#13 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 06:54

Originally posted by Pils1989
Does someone know how he is doing?

I have received a short letter from Maurice about three months ago. He seems fine, but apologised for not replying any sooner blaming it on "old age and some other factors outside his control".

#14 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,216 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 20:28

Originally posted by Hieronymus

I have received a short letter from Maurice about three months ago. He seems fine, but apologised for not replying any sooner blaming it on "old age and some other factors outside his control".

Yes, he has had two close family beverements in the last year, sadly. He's okay, perfectly healthy, just a bit frail, that's all.

#15 SEdward

SEdward

• 840 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 14:06

This question may have been asked before, but...

Is Maurice related to the actor Jean-Louis, who starred in "Un Homme et une Femme" and dabbled in serious competition?

Edward

#16 GIGLEUX

GIGLEUX

• 1,519 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 14:34

Jean-Louis is the nephew of Maurice.

#17 SEdward

SEdward

• 840 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 14:36

Jean-Maurice,

Merci.