Photo

Scirocco in 1967 formule libre

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmy Piget

Jimmy Piget

• 530 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 21:09

No sign in search BB, no sign in Google, I may ask my question.

There was a man called Mike Merrick who entered some clubbie formule libre in 1967 (e.g. Mallory Park 28 August, Silverstone 2 September) with a 4.7 Ford-engined car called a "Scirocco".

Any relation with the 1963 Scirocco-Powell, which went to Pilette 1964 ?

Advertisement

#2 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 09:48

Originally posted by Jimmy Piget
No sign in search BB, no sign in Google, I may ask my question.

There was a man called Mike Merrick who entered some clubbie formule libre in 1967 (e.g. Mallory Park 28 August, Silverstone 2 September) with a 4.7 Ford-engined car called a "Scirocco".

Any relation with the 1963 Scirocco-Powell, which went to Pilette 1964 ?

We are still trying to fill the gaps in the history of my ex-Pilette Scirocco, and that doesn't ring any bells.

But we don't know exactly what happened to it between 1965 when Bill Jones bought it and 1977 when Wally Cuff sold it to Charles Brigginshaw - apart from that fact that the bodywork was somewhat modified and a different engine & box fitted.
When it was found it had a Triumph Stag engine fitted, but that is much smaller than 4.7 litres.

The 3rd/spare Scirocco went to Canada with something like a Ford Fairlane engine, but that was in 1963/64 and it has remained in Canada ever since.

Here's a picture of my Scirocco, from 1991, when Spencer Elton rescued it from the Bristol church where Charles Brigginshaw kept his cars.

Posted Image

#3 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,585 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 15:23

Whilst doing some research on another subject I thought I would check 1967 FLibre events as well for the Scirrocco. Only found ONE reference which was in the report of the 2nd September 1967 Silverstone report in Mororing News. The report says:

Mike Merrick retired a steaming, screaming Scirocco Chevrolet

So it appears to have a GM block installed in Sepember '67. :cool:

#4 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 02:07

I wouldn't have recognised the Scirocco in 91 :eek:

#5 Todd

Todd

• 18,936 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 02:40

Originally posted by Peter Morley

When it was found it had a Triumph Stag engine fitted, but that is much smaller than 4.7 litres.
[/IMG]

Irony man, dig it. Is that the only case of a Stag engine being swapped into something else?

#6 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 10:19

Peter

Have you got the car that I saw many, many years ago at John McCartney's place? Would have been about 1981 or 1982. I didn't pay much attention to pre-66 cars in those days so I didn't take any real notes.

Allen

#7 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 16:55

Originally posted by Allen Brown
Peter

Have you got the car that I saw many, many years ago at John McCartney's place? Would have been about 1981 or 1982. I didn't pay much attention to pre-66 cars in those days so I didn't take any real notes.

Allen

Not sure! I think that McCartney had a Scirocco as well as a Connaught (I'm sure Duncan Rabagliatti told me of the connection).

I think McCartney's one is Dean Butler's Scirocco - by the 80's mine was safely tucked away in Brigginshaw's emporium (and didn't look very Scirocco like! What is amazing is that, once all the add ons were removed, underneath was a very original un-modified car).